Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

said no one, ever
i just did :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

all of this checks out based on years of moderating DYPers

i hope therapy is helping.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
cool it, swsp

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

said no one, ever

it's unironically good to see you around dude.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

thanks! :tipshat:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

indigi posted:

oh jeepers creepers, the ghost of Mao is going to declare PPW on me for posting that image of the gucci storefront with the hammer and sickle over it!!

who the gently caress cares if China spies on you, they're not the ones who'll dispatch blackbag NSA or ICE teams to your front door

somebody hasn’t watched 24 season 5

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm thinkin' i'll get the new nokia. the 7.1. that means it's got the best surround sound, right?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is on android one at least

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i like the idea of a smart watch but they are all so darn bulky and I don't want to have to charge a watch bc i will definitely forget. that xiaomi one ticks the size and battery boxes for me but then the computery functions aren't really anything I'm interested in. i don't do step tracking so i think it would just give me the ability to have my phone totally on silent and let my watch vibrate/beep instead. that's...neat. i guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apple watches are positively tiny compared to android watches

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

smart watches are really dumb and bad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Endless Mike posted:

apple watches are positively tiny compared to android watches

heh, just right for women and children. :smugdroid:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

when i go running I strap my phone into one of those arm holster things. then i pretend i am a cool sci fi character

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

smart watches are really dumb and bad

thinking of going for an aluminum Apple Watch this time because the steel one only comes with GPS. lol at paying $700 for a watch whose screen will pop off when the battery swells.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lol my Nexus 5X (4th refurb edition) is developing a flaw slowly. gonna see how this turns out on the support side

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol my Nexus 5X (4th refurb edition) is developing a flaw slowly.

I thought it already came with Android though?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

besides that. try to keep up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol my Nexus 5X (4th refurb edition) is developing a flaw slowly.

well with a cortex-A53 it's not as if it could do it quickly :rimshot:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm thinkin' i'll get the new nokia. the 7.1. that means it's got the best surround sound, right?

If you're on a network that supports it, it might be worth looking at the 7 Plus over the 7.1 instead if you can find it. You'll get a faster cpu(660 vs 636), way more battery (3800 vs 3060 mAh). It's pretty much an upgrade in every department despite being released 6 months earlier.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the HMD Nokia phones look actually almost decent, it's super weird

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tornhelm posted:

If you're on a network that supports it, it might be worth looking at the 7 Plus over the 7.1 instead if you can find it. You'll get a faster cpu(660 vs 636), way more battery (3800 vs 3060 mAh). It's pretty much an upgrade in every department despite being released 6 months earlier.

drat that is a shitload more battery capacity. my main concern is it's apparently lacking lte band 12 which may impact coverage? not sure how big an impact that would be though.

also not thrilled about it being larger but i could deal w/ that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

will it reboot when you try to call 911?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my main concern is it's apparently lacking lte band 12 which may impact coverage? not sure how big an impact that would be though.

also not thrilled about it being larger but i could deal w/ that.

Thats why I say depending on your service provider.

As for size, its about as tall as a Nexus 6p, but not quite as wide so it feels a bit better in the hand.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tornhelm posted:

Thats why I say depending on your service provider.

As for size, its about as tall as a Nexus 6p, but not quite as wide so it feels a bit better in the hand.

your avatar perfectly encapsulates the anroid buyer's experience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the HMD Nokia phones look actually almost decent, it's super weird

on one level the nicest thing you can say about them is that they have not hopelessly messed them up in some boneheaded way, but that is actually a nicer thing than you can say about almost all android phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/1049756561533558785

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

holding it wrong.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
do people who aren't writers for arse technical believe that "soft-touch coating" is scratch-resistant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i loathe soft-touch coatings more than perhaps any other surface treatment

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hate soft touch Google mother

love hard aluminium apple mother

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

do people who aren't writers for arse technical believe that "soft-touch coating" is scratch-resistant

bullguy does

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagebrush posted:

i loathe soft-touch coatings more than perhaps any other surface treatment

even more than the windows carpet?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

the keyboard cover for the surface pro is one of the grossest design ideas in computers. oh hey you can take this device anywhere! (disclaimer: never place it anywhere that has any dust or debris. always perform a full surgical hand wash before using the device or picking it up)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, and once it starts showing wear on the outside it looks ratty

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

agreed on the comp u carpet, but most people don’t put a surface down their pants . rubberelle coatings and that mar easily when scuffed and if that’s not what you’re into that’s going to be rough.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

iPhone is loving up the apostrophe symbol this time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the keyboard cover for the surface pro is one of the grossest design ideas in computers. oh hey you can take this device anywhere! (disclaimer: never place it anywhere that has any dust or debris. always perform a full surgical hand wash before using the device or picking it up)

I had mine for 5 years and it never got gross the way you see pictures of online. I use it every day too. these nasty keyboards are owned by loving disgusting people who do horrible poo poo to their computers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

yeah that fuzzy material was a really bad choice for that type of product, but i would still rather touch it than anything with the soft-touch rubberization

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I had mine for 5 years and it never got gross the way you see pictures of online. I use it every day too. these nasty keyboards are owned by loving disgusting people who do horrible poo poo to their computers.

i once had a student who asked me for help with his solidworks model and i literally couldn't see what was happening on his laptop screen through the grime. there were sprays of brown god-knows-what all over the glass, like he'd been driving it through the mud, and grunge caked on so hard you could see it was three-dimensional. i got him a bottle of windex and some paper towels and told him to clean it off before I could help. that may have been humiliating for him but jesus christ dude have some pride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

ah yes the very common use case of "i obsessively lint-roll the inside of every bag i own, and i have never had to take a computer to a place that isn't hermetically sealed" :v: