Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AnnoyBot posted:

Yes, this.

I just found out that USB MIDI will just silently not work in windows if your MIDI registry key has more than 9 or 10 instances. I'm not sure if this is Korg specific (both my affected devices were Korg). But deleting all the values fixed it like magic.

Here's the fix:
"edit registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and remove all midi, midi1, midi2, etc entries, then uninstall and reinstall all drivers"

Lol, they still havent fixed this?
I remember doing that fix a few times back in the XP days. I just remebered the shitshow that was using XP+Cubase, the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
As I'm starting to play more and more with a band and less in my bedroom I'm running into a small issues. It's my desire to get the mountain of gear I need to haul as close as possible to a keyboard+instrument cable+pa speaker(+maybe small pedalboard). The issue I'm running into now is quickly selecting patches. One of the synth options (virus keyboard) only allows you to iterate through the presets sequentially which is fine if I need to record a part in my DAW but not remotely convenient for a quick patch switch up for the chorus or a solo or whatever.

What do you guys use to send program change messages live without breaking up your flow? Ideally I'd like to find a small controller that would give me access to 8-10 different patches without requiring me to haul a laptop around.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Hey,

Cheers for these! its pretty good that theyre all so varied -gives me a bunch of new avenues to look up - yeah my intended workflow is simialr to how the guy in the loopy video does it. I've almost wrapped my head around sunvox - I even made a really crude sequencer in it that takes pitch values and applies them to individual pitch shifters which are attatched to notes with increasing delays and an LFO to trigger them, but its not at all practical. Sunvox seems like its just that a few steps away from being exactly what I need - If you could store variables and stuff like that it would have that extra bit of flexibility. I'll probabaly look into the languages again, I've seen theres a few plugins for puredata which should iron out the learning curve a bit. Mobius also looks really promising so I'll have to download it and try and get into the nitty gritty of it over the next few days.

I'm messing about with arduinos etc at the moment which could possibly help me on the foot pedal route, although the behringers look pretty up to the task if I see any of the reccomended devices going cheap I'll try and go down the hardware route - I'm very much in a noodling phase at the moment and so not in any particular rush to have something concrete in place.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Carrying on from MIDI chat - and this is going to sound really, really basic, but why does some of my kit work with some MIDI cables and not others? I got a TR-08 that I was trying to send clock to, and that poo poo would work till I swapped the cable. Likewise another bit of gear wasn’t responding till I dug another cable out.

I thought this MIDI stuff was all supposed to be standardised?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
standardized dont mean high quality
ive had to throw away as many bad midi cables as ive still got good ones 🤷‍♂️

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Big day today - I finished a row!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
get some blind panels omg fam
cardboard > air

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Hey, am performing live for the first time on friday, basically just testing out Bitwig low-key early-doors jam styles.
The little macbook I want to use only has 2 usb ports. I have my usb soundcard/launchpad/SLZeroMkII.
As well as USB the SLZero has Midi ports I could use to pipe data.
I dont have a power-adapter for it. Im wondering if I could use a USB-Charger (like for phones) to provide power, or is that a bad idea?

I historically have not had a good time with the electrical side of electronic music put it that way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That should work, or at least not hurt to try.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Wouldn't it be easier to use a powered USB hub? Maybe run the audio interface from one port and plug the hub into the second with the launchpad and keyboard running through that.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Cheers people.

Yes a powered USB hub would be a better solution 100% for longer term. But when I get one I will need to make sure it meets the requirements for whatever direction my needs evolve in.
Currently I just need to power what I have, and see what I like and what I hate about my current idea of performance.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Cheers people.

Yes a powered USB hub would be a better solution 100% for longer term. But when I get one I will need to make sure it meets the requirements for whatever direction my needs evolve in.
Currently I just need to power what I have, and see what I like and what I hate about my current idea of performance.

Just give it a good dress rehearsal before you go - not something you want to find out gives out 15 minutes into the show.

In unrelated news, holy hell the Moog One hype train is at full steam; daily live streams, short films and more. I want one just to make YouTube videos using it to play Axel F. Part of me is worried this is Moog realizing that their releases have been diminishing returns in profit recently and this is their last big hurrah before bailing out on new non-limited full-size keyboards.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 10, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

stillvisions posted:

Just give it a good dress rehearsal before you go - not something you want to find out gives out 15 minutes into the show.

In unrelated news, holy hell the Moog One hype train is at full steam; daily live streams, short films and more. I want one just to make YouTube videos using it to play Axel F. Part of me is worried this is Moog realizing that their releases have been diminishing returns in profit recently and this is their last big hurrah before bailing out on new non-limited full-size keyboards.

My guess is that their pleas about tariffs on Chinese components are legit and the massive price disparity between the 8 and 16 voice versions are reflected by this. Their movement from numerous small projects to something as massive and monolithic as the One tracks with that as well (less enclosure material, fewer PCBs, less individual labor in buttoning everything up.)

They’ve also gone about as far as they can with the Phatty format, competition in the semi-modular Eurorack realm is fierce, their various Minimoog monosynth variations have been flagships but are also prohibitively expensive and somewhat limited in their design, and their full-size 5u modular stuff is just out of the gate bonkers in price.

And finally, considering what I’m assuming was lengthy dev process and the price tag attached to it, the One absolutely cannot fail or the company is gonna have problems.

There’s a lot going on that is creating a sort of weird point of fragility for them and I think diminishing returns is a problem only exacerbated by small production runs. Unfortunately I think most of it can be reduced to “...in this economy.” It’s a function of creating products for a segment of the population that’s getting hosed pretty hard, and my worry is that focusing on whales is going to cause Moog problems for them the way doing the same thing destroyed Gibson.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have swung so far towards wanting all the synthesizers that I have accepted not buying anything until I figure out what I want.

I love my decision making process.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Moog dying literally because they used line lumps on the new mini and now, one

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So the novation mk3 controllers just dropped and holy poo poo they look amazing

2 CV channels with a mod CV for each
8 track 8 note Circuit based sequencer that can be chained
Plus the control software from the mk2

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Figured I may as well ask here - does anyone have any recommedations for ios recording apps?

Nothing fancy required at all - just something that'll allow to hit a button and record my bleeps and my bloops. I'll be going straight from the output of the mixer into the phone. I've got one of those irig thingies ordered.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Garage band still comes on the iPhone right?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Uh... Elektron dropped the DT plugin version (closed beta). Supposedly just for testing in ableton, but its running fine in cubase for me right now.

My mind is slightly blown right now. It actually works.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

BeigeJacket posted:

Figured I may as well ask here - does anyone have any recommedations for ios recording apps?

These were suggested to me recently:
  • Voice Record Pro
  • RØDE Rec LE
  • RØDE Reporter
  • Hindenburg Lite
  • Zoom HandyRec

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Uh... Elektron dropped the DT plugin version (closed beta). Supposedly just for testing in ableton, but its running fine in cubase for me right now.

My mind is slightly blown right now. It actually works.

All I care about is using it as an editor/librarian, is that stuff straight?
e- did they nix the standalone version?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Startyde posted:

All I care about is using it as an editor/librarian, is that stuff straight?
e- did they nix the standalone version?

dunno i barely touched the plugin, dont see the need atm.

what specifically is it you want to do

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

So Math posted:

These were suggested to me recently:
  • Voice Record Pro
  • RØDE Rec LE
  • RØDE Reporter
  • Hindenburg Lite
  • Zoom HandyRec

Ah, Zoom have an app? Nice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Goddamn. The more I learn the more confused I become.

Is there a map good choices for this hobby? This is my last week:

• decided to learn piano again
  • dug out my Roland E-70 from the basement
  • learned about Synthesia and had fun playing songs/parts
  • considered buying a new keyboard
  • fell momentarily for the look of a solid black Keytar
  • learned about the Deluge
  • learned about DAWs, sequencing, and virtual instruments
  • digital synthesizers vs analog synthesizers
  • desktop vs rackmount
  • learned the cost of a Eurorack

There is just too much too learn!

So, I think I need to identify which sound palettes I like, and then find out if I can afford them, and which versions I like (and if they come with a keyboard).

But, if I am going to end up with more than one synth, maybe just buy a controller, and then synths without keys.

Jesus. This is complex. :negative:

Edit:
It just seems that the topic is so deep. It is going to take me a lot of thought to make any choices.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Colonel Taint posted:

'once upon a synth' has some some fairly focused and informative tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/n3bsvid/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

Seems he's focused on the moog grandmother lately. His latest video about making vocal-ish sounds on the grandmother does get into some wonky sounds but that's not necessarily the objective, and based on the rest of his videos I've seen not the norm. Along with the tutorials he'll usually explain a bit about what's going on in his demo videos.

I'm weeks late, but thanks for this! Subscribed!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-f4uR1b2tQ

Is he based out of Montreal? drat, too bad I recently moved away from there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dexefiend posted:

good choices for this hobby
hahaha

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I started off by buying whatever I was curious about used - like an ancient korg electribe - and sell it for near what I paid for it, graduating up to a Monomachine, deciding I like the workflow, and then complementing that with whatever else I felt like (octatrack, Roland sc55, op1, etc). That way you can experiment without losing money. A lot of older equipment is still great if you don’t know what you’re doing yet.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just a quick crosspost, selling my minilogue and electribe 2

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871362

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Hey synth thread, I'm working away from home and need an auto-wah and phaser for guitar. It could be done easily in software, but I'm tired of looking at screens 10 hrs/day. Looking at either pedals or a hardware synth on a budget of ~300 USD - let's be honest, the pedals will do everything I need at half the price, but I already have 'em back home and a synth is more fun. I used to do this with my MS20 mini back home and I'm jonesing.

Has anybody successfully used the audio input functions on:
  • Microbrute
  • Minibrute
  • Mininova
and if so, have you found the envelope follower satisfactory? Additionally, can you get a good slow phaser setting out of the LFOs, one that would work well on fuzz guitar? (Do you think the build quality would survive an international flight wrapped in clothes in a suitcase?)

Also considering the Microkorg and Monologue, but I would have to sequence the filters instead of it being a real 'autowah' and that's a bit of a hassle...

e: Doing a bit more research, it seems like a real phaser will be impossible with these machines, but maybe it's possible to get a fake-phaser going somehow??

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 13, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

free Trapt CD posted:

Hey synth thread, I'm working away from home and need an auto-wah and phaser for guitar. It could be done easily in software, but I'm tired of looking at screens 10 hrs/day. Looking at either pedals or a hardware synth on a budget of ~300 USD - let's be honest, the pedals will do everything I need at half the price, but I already have 'em back home and a synth is more fun. I used to do this with my MS20 mini back home and I'm jonesing.

Has anybody successfully used the audio input functions on:
  • Microbrute
  • Minibrute
  • Mininova
and if so, have you found the envelope follower satisfactory? Additionally, can you get a good slow phaser setting out of the LFOs, one that would work well on fuzz guitar? (Do you think the build quality would survive an international flight wrapped in clothes in a suitcase?)

Also considering the Microkorg and Monologue, but I would have to sequence the filters instead of it being a real 'autowah' and that's a bit of a hassle...

e: Doing a bit more research, it seems like a real phaser will be impossible with these machines, but maybe it's possible to get a fake-phaser going somehow??

Get extra/cheap/digital/mini pedals so you can use them with a synth...and then get a synth later. That way when you’re home you can have your guitar connected to its pedalboard and synth connected to its pedalboard and use them both at the same time/not have to mess with the settings a bunch in between the two if you’re putting together a track. Or whatever other reason you might want two sets of potentially-overlapping pedals (someone comes over to jam and didn’t bring any, IDK).

And when you travel with the guitar you’ve got a set of travel pedals for it, and when you travel with a synth or whatever you’ve got travel pedals for it.

Given the size of synth you were looking at, maybe consider something like a BOSS digital multi-effect board.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get extra/cheap/digital/mini pedals so you can use them with a synth...and then get a synth later. That way when you’re home you can have your guitar connected to its pedalboard and synth connected to its pedalboard and use them both at the same time/not have to mess with the settings a bunch in between the two if you’re putting together a track. Or whatever other reason you might want two sets of potentially-overlapping pedals (someone comes over to jam and didn’t bring any, IDK).

And when you travel with the guitar you’ve got a set of travel pedals for it, and when you travel with a synth or whatever you’ve got travel pedals for it.

Given the size of synth you were looking at, maybe consider something like a BOSS digital multi-effect board.

Thank you - this is sensible advice short-term, fun advice long-term too. Spent my youth dicking around with a BOSS multi-effect board, so that really hit close to home. I hadn't even considered a multi, but a store nearby has at least one unit that'll do the trick. Very glad I asked here! Thanks again...

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
I bought a Deep Mind 12 openbox deal for $675. I barely know how to use it. I bet it'll sound great with my Drum Brute though. I was thinking, I listen to a lot of midi files (usually with Timidity++ on the command line). Maybe I could hook my computer up to it through a midi interface and play my favorite RPG town themes through this hardware synth ?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Short version: probably not the way you're expecting.

Long version: there's a complex relationship at work between MIDI tracks and MIDI channels which I'm not too sure on myself, but generally speaking, your average RPG town theme MIDI file will have different tracks that each contain an instrument's part. You can send up to 16 MIDI channels through one port, but something like the DeepMind will, at a guess, probably only receive on one or all of those channels. Track does not equal channel here, the way I understand it you can route any number of tracks to a single channel, but the question is what the device that receives that channel will be able to play back. What I think will happen is let's say you set the DeepMind to a simple sawtooth sound, then you'll either get only one part of your town theme played with that sound (which will be whatever track(s) is/are set to be sent on the channel the synth is receiving on), or you'll get all of them at once... still all in the sawtooth sound. Which may sound interesting but probably isn't what you're after.

Playing back different parts in different sounds simultaneously is a little out of the DeepMind's price range and intended use. In the old PC gaming days they had MIDI sound modules like the Roland MT-32 that were able to do that and were indeed intended as synthesizer modules; those would run you about $700 in 1987 according to Wikipedia which comes down to about $1600 in today's money. Keep in mind that's 1987 tech with sample-based synthesis, not a full analog synth like the DeepMind.

If you hook up your synths right and read up on it a bit you can probably route your MIDI output so the Drumbrute plays back the drum part and the DeepMind plays 2, maybe 3 different other parts in different octaves with the same sound, and that might be a neat new twist on the theme.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 13, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

the crikster posted:

I was thinking, I listen to a lot of midi files (usually with Timidity++ on the command line). Maybe I could hook my computer up to it through a midi interface and play my favorite RPG town themes through this hardware synth ?

To add to that:

Short: hard no. The Deepmind is monotimbral. The mode My Lovely Horse is talking about is historically referred to as MIDI Omni. It doesn't matter what channel the sound is on, the receiving synthesizer will take all of it.

This wouldn't be that much of a problem if it weren't for channel nr. 10 which is usually hardcoded to be the drum sound channel. If you play drums according to the General MIDI standard, the kick is the C, the snare is the D, the closed hihat is the G# and the open hihat is the A#. You can imagine how wonderful this sounds when someone is playing a basic rock rhythm. You can probably try this on your Drum Brute - let it send out MIDI to the Deepmind.

Long: 1987 hardware has become wonderfully cheap - an MT-32 can be had for 50 bucks and that's probably including shipping. The problem is that it sounded pretty good in 1987 and pretty bad in TYOOL 2018. Still, PC games of that time had soundtracks written especially for the MT-32 so they'll get the most out of it. That doesn't compensate for the fact that the acoustic piano sounds like a pulse wave with a click in front of it. It was a bit more realistic than a dry 4-OP FM sound from an AdLib or SoundBlaster 16 or so.

A better and also still very affordable option for high-quality MIDI playback is the Roland SoundCanvas (SC55/SC88), or failing that, the Roland JV1080 (JV1010 if you hate yourself and want to mess around with Windows 98 OEM SoundDiver). Manufacturers recycle their R&D, and you have a consumer tier and a professional tier; the consumer tier has keyboards with speakers built in and SoundCanvas units, the professional tier has synthesizers (no speakers built in) and in the mid 90s the JV-series. (before that: JD800/990, before that, U20, before that, D50 etc.). The difference is mostly in that you can have deep editing features on the professional range - so you get to choose waveforms, filters, LFOs and envelopes, plus they're expandable with newer waveforms on user-installable ROM, while the SoundCanvases are more shallow in terms of editing: you get to choose chorus, reverb or delay or something like that and that's pretty much it.

Both kinds are General MIDI compatible and will have better realistic instrument emulations than the MT32. But that's just for Roland. What about Korg and Yamaha? Well, Yamaha has a SoundCanvas clone - they're the MU-series of modules. Korg has a cheap set of rack synths that also support General MIDI - X5DR, 05RW, etc.

But you mention RPG MIDI files and that's more of a console thing. The SNES didn't have General MIDI, but several Japanese composers used the SoundCanvas units heavily to do their composition work, and then sampled those sounds - and cut down the samples because the SNES's sample memory was even smaller than that of early sample-based synths - and used those. So if you really like that Secret of Mana guitar sound like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGK3usiX31s at 06:52, chances are it came from a module like that.

If the people making those MIDI files respect the GM standard of instruments, that'd be the preferred way to play back - but GM also doesn't have nice stuff like distortion effects to make a lead guitar sound wail properly. Instead, the guitar has that distortion built into the samples, which is why the music in Doom's first level as GM doesn't sound like a proper guitar. Still, the soundtracks were composed with that in mind, so it's best to stick with GM stuff.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
Wow that's top stellar information from the two of you. I also have an Ensoniq Sq-2 88 key from ebay I bought for $100 10 years ago. That would surely make a good midi controller (except for it's hulking weight.) Could I not then load *.sf2 soundfonts onto the board and play from that? The technology is about the same 80s 90s era.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
Oh the SQ-2 is a 76 key. I think I could play the sf2 files from a midi controller by connecting it to TiMidity++. And then midi control the soft synth through which different soundfonts may be edited in.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

dexefiend posted:

Is there a map good choices for this hobby?

It just seems that the topic is so deep. It is going to take me a lot of thought to make any choices.

My few cents.

Its a very wide and deep rabbit-hole. It will take a while to find a direction to explore most likely. Probably simpler to cut out learning about things that expand your options (like crazy controllers or esoteric systems to make noise), and play with some noises. Learn enough of any DAW to do midi and audio recording/playback. Make some noises, use some presets and make crazy fx chains as well and perform in different ways and with different things and just *play*. If you learn what you dont enjoy then it starts to narrow a direction (for beginning).

That would be the way Id personally approach it. You could also read/watch a heap of stuff and then 'commit' more to learning a machine or daw (that you really dig the concept of, or your Roland you own) or idea (eg playing some keys, learning some harmony/melody, technical production theory) more deeply, find a trustworthy set of resources/ tutorials and push it till it breaks (till you break). Depends how you do stuff in general in life Id guess.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

the crikster posted:

Wow that's top stellar information from the two of you. I also have an Ensoniq Sq-2 88 key from ebay I bought for $100 10 years ago. That would surely make a good midi controller (except for it's hulking weight.) Could I not then load *.sf2 soundfonts onto the board and play from that? The technology is about the same 80s 90s era.

I do not think that there are any commercially available hardware samplers that load SoundFonts. Besides that the SQ2 can’t do user sample playback.

A lot of hardware samplers are ridiculously limited and many won’t even eat straight .wav files.

If the SQ2 manual says it’s General MIDI compatible you might have luck with that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dexefiend posted:

Is there a map good choices for this hobby? This is my last week:

• decided to learn piano again
  • dug out my Roland E-70 from the basement
  • learned about Synthesia and had fun playing songs/parts
  • considered buying a new keyboard
  • fell momentarily for the look of a solid black Keytar
  • learned about the Deluge
  • learned about DAWs, sequencing, and virtual instruments
  • digital synthesizers vs analog synthesizers
  • desktop vs rackmount
  • learned the cost of a Eurorack

There is just too much too learn!

So, I think I need to identify which sound palettes I like, and then find out if I can afford them, and which versions I like (and if they come with a keyboard).

But, if I am going to end up with more than one synth, maybe just buy a controller, and then synths without keys.

Jesus. This is complex. :negative:

Edit:
Get a cheap USB to MIDI cable of a name brand - Roland UM1. Voila - your E70 and anything with just MIDI out can now talk to the computer. It will do fine as a controller for the forseeable time. Also, your DAW can now talk back to the E70 too. A guy I knew used the E70 instead of the MT32 for 90s PC games so you can have that too. Even though it is only a single MIDI in/out pair, it’s a purchase that will stay useful even when you go balls to the wall with spending.

Then, get a trial version of Reason. It is selfcontained and comes with a ton of content and makes a lot of decisions already for you. You can learn what each kind of device does without having to download dozens of freeware VSTs.

Don’t like the built in drum kit of the E70 because it’s not techno enough? Load a TR909 in ReDrum. Want to trigger vocals or effects the E70 can’t do? Load them into NN19. Want to hear proper supersaws instead of a brass sound that was made for covering Toto’s “Africa”? Load up Thor.

Software has the lowest barrier of entry, so try that first. DAW choice is highly personal, so try everything and see what you feel works with you instead of against you.

Focus on writing and playing songs first. A good song is still recognizable and moving if it’s only played on an acoustic guitar or piano; you can always add and replace later. It’s much harder to start with robot farts and write a song around those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laserjet 4P posted:

Long: 1987 hardware has become wonderfully cheap - an MT-32 can be had for 50 bucks and that's probably including shipping. The problem is that it sounded pretty good in 1987 and pretty bad in TYOOL 2018.
Speak for yourself, I suddenly kinda want one at that price. Probably just adventure game nostalgia.