Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

There's rumors going around now that Jamal is alive and in Saudi custody, but nobody knows. Meanwhile, Friedman somehow had the audacity to open his stupid loving mouth right now and what do you know, stupidity poured out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1049370198711656450

You can tell Saudi Arabia really hosed up if even Friedman is turning on MBS. Killing and dismembering the friends and colleagues of your former media lapdogs might not have been the best pr move.

Props on the NYT commentators who are uniformly calling Friedman an idiot and an rear end in a top hat for ever dancing to the Saudi Monarchy's tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can I get context on Friedman? I’m more familiar with Milton than Thomas.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

There's rumors going around now that Jamal is alive and in Saudi custody, but nobody knows. Meanwhile, Friedman somehow had the audacity to open his stupid loving mouth right now and what do you know, stupidity poured out.

Trump doesn't like it. Doesn't like hearing about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1049416779032907776

jesus. he really is just a moron. like this is the kinda times where he could really push a "look how the savage saudies treat americans" or some poo poo but instead, its this poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/VP/status/1049435218900410369

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well thats more of an answer then Trump's non-committal horse poo poo and this was just as non-committal.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Can I get context on Friedman? I’m more familiar with Milton than Thomas.

he married an heiress and wrote a couple of books about how thank god neoliberal capitalism was fixing all the problems in the world. he is noteworthy for being an extremely bad writer with a love of totally incoherent metaphors. where he REALLY took off, though, was in the discussion of the Iraq War, where he inadvertently coined the Friedman Unit by saying "the next six months will be critical" a couple dozen times over the course of three years, each time to say no, really, any second now we're gonna turn this thing around.

a Friedman Unit is the length of time a pundit thinks is safe to make predictions for, confident in the knowledge nobody will remember what that prediction was by the time in question.

he is particularly despicable in this case because he also wrote a hilariously lovely puff piece on Mohammed Bin Salman, Guy Who Is Putting A Kinder, More Modern Face On Saudi Arabia, Definitely Not The Kind Of Guy Who'd Murder A Journalist Questioning Him Whose Name And Address I Have Conveniently Provided, a couple of months back

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Trump doesn't like it. Doesn't like hearing about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1049416779032907776

Jesus, thanks Friedman. If he wasn't hosed before he sure is now.

And lol Trump.
"I hope it works itself out"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think a big part of Friedman's gullibility with regard to MBS is just the whole "disruption" paradigm that gets thrown around in Silicon Valley. Since Friedman's a buzzword capitalist, someone who promised to shake up the sclerotic family politics of the House of Saud seemed like a good thing to him. As is often the case though, this ambitious young prince seems to be a pretty bad hombre, and even if he's alleviating some problems (we'll have to see over the next several years if KSA actually does appear to be reducing its export of terrorism), he's more clearly been at the heart of creating new ones.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the first rule when you're in a hole is to stop digging. when you're in three, bring a lot of shovels

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I think a big part of Friedman's gullibility with regard to MBS is just the whole "disruption" paradigm that gets thrown around in Silicon Valley. Since Friedman's a buzzword capitalist, someone who promised to shake up the sclerotic family politics of the House of Saud seemed like a good thing to him. As is often the case though, this ambitious young prince seems to be a pretty bad hombre, and even if he's alleviating some problems (we'll have to see over the next several years if KSA actually does appear to be reducing its export of terrorism), he's more clearly been at the heart of creating new ones.

overthinking it. friedman's job is to be a fluffer for capital. you show him some foreign capital, he does what he's paid to do.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
do you know what my favorite renewable fuel is? an ecosystem for innovation

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

overthinking it. friedman's job is to be a fluffer for capital. you show him some foreign capital, he does what he's paid to do.

the historical debate is over. the answer is free market capitalism

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
what is al qaeda? it's an open source religious political movement that works off the global supply chain

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he married an heiress and wrote a couple of books about how thank god neoliberal capitalism was fixing all the problems in the world. he is noteworthy for being an extremely bad writer with a love of totally incoherent metaphors. where he REALLY took off, though, was in the discussion of the Iraq War, where he inadvertently coined the Friedman Unit by saying "the next six months will be critical" a couple dozen times over the course of three years, each time to say no, really, any second now we're gonna turn this thing around.

a Friedman Unit is the length of time a pundit thinks is safe to make predictions for, confident in the knowledge nobody will remember what that prediction was by the time in question.

he is particularly despicable in this case because he also wrote a hilariously lovely puff piece on Mohammed Bin Salman, Guy Who Is Putting A Kinder, More Modern Face On Saudi Arabia, Definitely Not The Kind Of Guy Who'd Murder A Journalist Questioning Him Whose Name And Address I Have Conveniently Provided, a couple of months back
I know he has been accused of ripping off a lot of what was in The World is Flat, which was the book that put him on the map.

You also can't forget to add his ridiculous penchant for being in taxis around the globe with amateur philosophers who are always around when he needs to write a book or column.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus. he really is just a moron. like this is the kinda times where he could really push a "look how the savage saudies treat americans" or some poo poo but instead, its this poo poo.

The reason Trump is so hosed up about this is because Khashoggi--a loyal royalist--was only ever in exile becuase he said less than glowing things about trump, one time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-a7456956.html

quote:

When it comes to the Middle East, Donald Trump’s stances are contradictory, especially regarding Iran. Saudi Arabia, while certainly concerned about the Islamic State’s presence in Syria and Iraq, is much more perturbed by the actions of Shiite Iran. Trump is vocally anti-Iranian, but he also supports Bashar al-Assad in the Syrian conflict, which ultimately bolsters Iranian regional control. Thus, Saudi Arabia is rightfully nervous about a Trump presidency.

The expectation that “Trump as president” will be starkly different from “Trump as candidate” is a false hope at best. Saudi Arabia should be ready for some surprises, likely in the form of negative rhetoric from the Trump administration. Ultimately, the kingdom needs to create an alliance of Sunni countries to serve as a bulwark against a potentially anti-Sunni Trump.

thats it. thats how all this poo poo started. for ^^^^ that crime, he had to flee and has been done like he's been done.

mohamed bin salman could gently caress up a one-man parade, i swear to god

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lest we forget, the Thomas Friedman article generator is still up and running:

http://thomasfriedmanopedgenerator.com/about.php

Create your own Friedman thoughts with the click of a button!

quote:

So what should we do about the chaos in Malta? Well, it's easier to start with what we should not do. We should not ignore the problem and pretend it will go away. Beyond that, we need to be careful to nurture the seeds of democratic ideals. The opportunity is there, but I worry that the path to moderation is so poorly marked that Malta will have to move down it very slowly. And of course Valletta needs to cooperate.

Speaking with a young student from the unpopular Palestinian community here, I asked him if there was any message that he wanted me to carry back home with me. He pondered for a second, and then smiled and said, reiaya-li-kona, which is a local saying that means roughly, "A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it."

:hmmyes:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I was reading the entire NYT daily during the height of the Iraq war and you better believe that Friedman falling into cultural irrelevance was one of the great mercies of the last decade. You can ask 10 people how Friedman is an idiot and get 10 different answers and they're all correct.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The hits keep coming.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1049508866805981185

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So glad the media spent the early part of this year sucking MBS’ cock so now he can get away with this poo poo

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

So glad the media spent the early part of this year sucking MBS’ cock so now he can get away with this poo poo

FWIW, Trump's support for him matters a whole lot more than puff pieces in US media. I agree that it would be better if journalists were less starry eyed about the new dictator on the block though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's been a pretty big story. I don't think KSA was trying to be discreet about all this and hide behind the positive media coverage. In fact, I'd bet this happened to Khashoggi in particular because of his prominence, specifically so people would see it happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Volkerball posted:

It's been a pretty big story. I don't think KSA was trying to be discreet about all this and hide behind the positive media coverage. In fact, I'd bet this happened to Khashoggi in particular because of his prominence, specifically so people would see it happen.

Yeah killing prominent critics overseas is a lovely thing that happens regularly. Killing him the way they did was 1000% intended to send an extremely clear message and is insanely brazen. It's honestly up there with the Nemtsov killing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Weren’t they arresting officials for ‘corruption’ and torturing them as people like Friedman were writing the glowing MBS puff pieces

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Let's go strictly realpolitick for a second here.

We should not be backing Saudi Arabia over Iran, because one is currently run by the deeply retarded.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So glad the media spent the early part of this year sucking MBS� cock so now he can get away with this poo poo

One thing you can't get away with is firing smart people telling you not to do dumb things.
I mean you won't be punished by society or people, but your dumbassed decisions are going to poop in your face.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting because this is Turkish state media

https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1049775081319227392

https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1049776786899431424

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dictators killing expat critics seems to be increasingly common, but I wonder at what point someone decides to say gently caress it and kill a critic with no tie to their country. Maybe the response to this incident will grow, and the behavior won't just be accepted and normalized, but if everyone just memory holes this in a week, I can't help feeling like letting this poo poo go is going to lead to even more blatant behavior down the line.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

Dictators killing expat critics seems to be increasingly common, but I wonder at what point someone decides to say gently caress it and kill a critic with no tie to their country. Maybe the response to this incident will grow, and the behavior won't just be accepted and normalized, but if everyone just memory holes this in a week, I can't help feeling like letting this poo poo go is going to lead to even more blatant behavior down the line.
I'm eagerly awaiting the first time someone in US government throws out a Prompt Global Strike reference in relation to this kind of thing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

um excuse me

why do you need an entire loving squad to capture and kill someone who willingly walks into your embassy

nice try sabah

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grape posted:

Let's go strictly realpolitick for a second here.

We should not be backing Saudi Arabia over Iran, because one is currently run by the deeply retarded.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

um excuse me

why do you need an entire loving squad to capture and kill someone who willingly walks into your embassy

nice try sabah

They're the clean up crew, not the killers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

so i assume the clean up crew is loving dead now too. I doubt MBS cares about them and now that they have been named(if its them) they are at the bottom of a river now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

you dont need 15 people to clean up a bunch of blood and body parts

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

you dont need 15 people to clean up a bunch of blood and body parts

Getting it out of the consulate is presumably the tricky part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i assume the clean up crew is loving dead now too. I doubt MBS cares about them and now that they have been named(if its them) they are at the bottom of a river now.

There's only so many families you can piss off, especially ones you recruit your killers from.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Ibishblog/status/1049827851414003712

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
edited because the saudi govt is just that loving crazy

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 10, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Arab dissident twitter has been in panic mode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Getting it out of the consulate is presumably the tricky part.

Again, why bother? There have to be secure safes or containers inside the consulate that are used to store confidential items. Just dump everything in a few of them, lock them, then transport them out later in small batches.

My point is, there is another story here that we don't know the details of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Again, why bother? There have to be secure safes or containers inside the consulate that are used to store confidential items. Just dump everything in a few of them, lock them, then transport them out later in small batches.

My point is, there is another story here that we don't know the details of yet.

Your problem is you're thinking like a person doing a job of work for money in order to do a Thing.

You need to think like an aristocrat who's seen season 5 of Breaking Bad on illegal channels three times, and whose wife is considered better than furniture but lesser than prized livestock.