Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A. We're tripping over fights at the end of the world, it shouldn't be hard to find one for the varl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
A

Also, what happens if Bolverk does wake up Bellower at the end of BS2? Do you get both of them chasing after Juno, or does the Serpent just not bother with Bolverk?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
A

Man, what is it with the Varl and bridges? The bridge would have been smashed down in a week or so if we hadn't taken it down anyways. The darkness would have consumed it and obliterated it. So he's mad at us for destroying it a few days early in a way that let some more people survive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Verant posted:

A

Also, what happens if Bolverk does wake up Bellower at the end of BS2? Do you get both of them chasing after Juno, or does the Serpent just not bother with Bolverk?

Juno intervenes to save Iver and they flee as Eyvind explodes the tower.

The explosion kills Bolverk, but with Bellower�s body not disposed of, it�s still there for Bolverk. Serpent brings back Bolverk, who yanks out the arrow and reawakens Bellower.

They�re not friends, though. They stalk you independently.

Anyway, looks like we have a runaway vote here, so let�s get the second vote out of the way:

:siren:
It will take some time to get from where we are NOW to where Ruin is. Along the way we are going to meet various people in need of aid. Stopping to help them will take time, but save lives. How should we treat people on our way to battle?

A.) Stop for every single person/group in need and see to it personally.
B.) Delegate heroes to deal with the problems and cross our fingers they can deal with it
C.) Delegate clansmen and fighters to deal with the problems and cross our fingers they can deal with it.
D.) Ignore everyone. If Ruin breaches the wall, they�re all dead anyway.

If you vote for B, let me know if there are certain heroes you�re not willing to risk�and how you�d like to deal with an event featuring them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

D

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Can you get here without blowing up the bridge? It gave you the option to just gently caress off and leave, right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
D.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

megane posted:

Can you get here without blowing up the bridge? It gave you the option to just gently caress off and leave, right?

Yes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
C. Let those guys we've been dragging around pull their weight a bit

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

megane posted:

Yeah. Fasolt's behavior doesn't change at all, except he blames you for leaving, instead.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
C

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
C

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A. We have a competent and unmangled party, we want the renown and poo poo, and pretty much every other option is going to get everyone killed (which is one of the problems with this game - you're rewarded for being a micro-managing rear end in a top hat, and delegating responsiblity to anyone other than Kumr is a net loss)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

A. We have a competent and unmangled party, we want the renown and poo poo, and pretty much every other option is going to get everyone killed (which is one of the problems with this game - you're rewarded for being a micro-managing rear end in a top hat, and delegating responsiblity to anyone other than Kumr is a net loss)

It is a shame that everyone in your party will absolutely just loving die if you let them try and do anything without peering over their shoulder, it's like shepherding around a band of hyper-violent 2 year olds

The notable exceptions being Oddleif, Krumr and Petrus

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crane Fist posted:

It is a shame that everyone in your party will absolutely just loving die if you let them try and do anything without peering over their shoulder, it's like shepherding around a band of hyper-violent 2 year olds

The notable exceptions being Oddleif, Krumr and Petrus

To be fair it backfires if you actually lose fights while micromanaging.

RIP Griss from like update 3.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The game is self-aware of how bad its AI is, so your units being AI offscreen obviously leads to their deaths.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A. Deal with EVERYONE. Also you need the renown and you have so many party members that it probably won't be too tough.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

A few questions. Will A mean constantly fighting waves of enemies without a break (I'm thinking yes because it's the end of the world as they know it and they literally just introduced that mechanic) and is it possible to pick both B and C? I can picture Alette and the A team going through with Oddlief's plan and Alette delegates the B team and the rest of the clan as needed. Also, can Alette personally intervene when Rugga's involved, hopefully to knock his nose clean off his smug face this time?

In a game that constantly reminds the player that choices matter, I feel like we're entering the decision-making time that's based on how well we've been paying attention throughout the whole series.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

(which is one of the problems with this game - you're rewarded for being a micro-managing rear end in a top hat, and delegating responsiblity to anyone other than Kumr is a net loss)

Well, there's method to the madness. You can trust people to handle the things they are good at. Petrus asked that we trust him to know the city; we can probably reliably make use of his help here.

Unfortunately we can't really vote on a case-by-case basis here, so let's go with C. Stopping for everything feels like letting Ruin get away with too much.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

queserasera posted:

A few questions. Will A mean constantly fighting waves of enemies without a break (I'm thinking yes because it's the end of the world as they know it and they literally just introduced that mechanic) and is it possible to pick both B and C? I can picture Alette and the A team going through with Oddlief's plan and Alette delegates the B team and the rest of the clan as needed. Also, can Alette personally intervene when Rugga's involved, hopefully to knock his nose clean off his smug face this time?

In a game that constantly reminds the player that choices matter, I feel like we're entering the decision-making time that's based on how well we've been paying attention throughout the whole series.

A depends. I’ve only played this game once, and with Rook (though it seems like there are fewer events unique to one POV vs another in this game than in 2), and I did a mix of fighting, ignoring, and delegating when I played.

It’s a lot of decisions and we will get bogged down if we don’t vote as a bloc—the same way we did on the death march at the end of 2. I don’t think any of the fights are wave combat, but I could easily be wrong.

I don’t think it’s really a spoiler to say we will have at least one more Rugga vote before things are over.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

C Everyone will die if we don't stop Ruin, so we can't stop personally, we may need all our heroes, but there are many others who follow our banner who may be able to help.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Even if we stop Ruin they mentioned another couple Sundr might still be kicking.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Think you might need to get your apostrophe key checked, Fairgame. Unless you're doing a fun "the darkness is corrupting me" thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Think you might need to get your apostrophe key checked, Fairgame. Unless you're doing a fun "the darkness is corrupting me" thing.
I've seen other people's apostrophes breaking like that, too. I'm guessing something broke on the forums and the curly apostrophe is getting hosed up while straight apostrophes are fine.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair it backfires if you actually lose fights while micromanaging.

RIP Griss from like update 3.

That's true, and it's kind of sign what an inessential character Griss is that I completely forgot about him

Is there anyone else you can lose by loving up fights? Apart from Egil? I know you can get the shield brothers killed a bunch of times, and in TBS2 and 3 if you've got Ekkill he picks up Egil's mantle of 'honestly just cannot wait to get himself killed'

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

That's true, and it's kind of sign what an inessential character Griss is that I completely forgot about him

Is there anyone else you can lose by loving up fights? Apart from Egil? I know you can get the shield brothers killed a bunch of times, and in TBS2 and 3 if you've got Ekkill he picks up Egil's mantle of 'honestly just cannot wait to get himself killed'

Quite a lot of people, though I reckon most players would have to look up who and where because really, how often do you lose non-boss fights?

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
B - let some of our hero buddies help out.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The apostrophe thing I think only happens with curly quotes, so if I stay using ' and " which should be easy since I write my updates in notepad, it won't get us.

VOTING CLOSED btw

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

UPDATE 33: THE CENTER CANNOT HOLD

: Just do us this favor and you'll have your fight, I promise!
Hakon grunts, coming down from his battle cry.
: If there's a chance to turn the odds in our favor...
: You used to be harder than steel, Hakon. Now you turn into a lap dog when they ask you to beg.
: Watch your tone. Things change, Fasolt. I never asked to lead the varl. Now I have to think of more than myself.

Fasolt leaves in a violent mood, yelling obscenities.
: Always had a temper, he did.
: Is he really turning his back on you like this?
: He'll come around eventually. Hopefully. I'll miss his varl in the coming battle, though. The rest of us will gather your barrels, but don't get comfortable giving me orders. And whatever you do, don't let that fence of toothpicks fall before I'm back.

Every last varl leaves the caravan. Most to help Hakon with the barrel plan. Some have disaffected along with Fasolt. I don't know what the breakdown is, or if Fasolt will be back. I suspect not.

We start trying to repair the walls and prepare our counterattack.

: Bad news from our clansmen. Many dead or missing, some to dredge. Others to bedlam. Could have been worse, but it's all going wrong since the Sundr showed up...

Aleo is spot-on that it could have been worse. If you camp your caravan near the gates (we delegated the decision of where to camp to Oddleif), hundreds of them die when the walls fall.

: We need to start patching these holes, or there won't be anywhere safe in here!
: For now I suggest we focus on the dredge!

Our first event. Apparently it's an unavoidable fight.

No varl in this fight. They're all busy. And, uh...where's Ludin? And Nid?
Surely they didn't die offscreen when the wall came down?

Nothing to be done for it, in any case.

: One thing at a time! Dredge first!

This is not a hard battle, but it's also one that's not even remotely fair. That 13 strength slinger in front? He gets to go first.

And now Yrsa has 1 strength left. Which she doesn't need to be effective, but it's some poo poo that you can immediately get maimed before you even have a chance to move.

Alette's overwatch guarantees her a SHOT, but not a HIT, on any enemy that moves in her bow range. If something is sufficiently heavily-armored, her shot can be deflected. In most cases, her Lucky Shot talent gets around it. But here we have some bad luck and the direguard shielder comes in to mess Alette up. I no longer have a meaningful Overwatch.

It's fine. Yrsa takes an injury and we leave Alette on the back line using Mend. All kills are fed to Tryggvi so he can hit 10 if we're so inclined.

Other men fill in the gaps where you've moved on. Holding the dredge at bay is easier work than pushing them back. More trouble further down the wall beckons, and there is no time to rest.

Literally no time to rest. We'll have to either do without Yrsa, or bring her to combat -2 strength. Which honestly isn't so bad for her.

"How can we help?" Oddleif shouts up to one standing on rubble, trying to wrestle away a sheared log. He speaks softly, but makes it clear that they need replacement wood and stone to patch the damage.

You all voted to let our bannermen handle problems, and you also recommended listening to Petrus. That makes this an easy choice.

We lose 20 clansmen, but hopefully it'll save > 20 lives.

Literally we can't save the city. There are too many problems and not enough solutions.
: Look at the horizon. So many just standing, watching!
: Other houses. They're waiting for us to fall before they step in.
: Dammit! Where are those barrels?

You plead and threaten those heading toward the docks, asserting there's nothing out there. Some listen, but most ignore you. "Can't reason with a rainstorm," Petrus laments after some time. "And we're needed elsewhere!"

You move on, worried that you've already taken too much time here. A woman catches your eye, amongst the crowds. Her gold cloak stands out. "Nid? you ask.

: There's nowhere safe out there.

You realize that her eldest boy is missing, and can make a solid guess why.
: He's gone? How did it happen?
: He's not gone. He's dead. I don't blame you. Or myself. I don't even blame the dredge. Who is to blame for all of this? Do you know? Nobody can tell me.
Editor's Note: It's Eyvind and Juno, almost certainly.
: I just don't want to be here anymore. Anywhere but here.
She pushes past, having said her piece.

: Stay, Nid. I've known cowards and you're not one of them.
: This isn't about...
She stops mid-sentence. She looks down at her boys and her expression softens.
: This isn't about me, is it? Sometimes I wish it were. Wouldn't things be so much simpler? I envy my parents. The most they had to worry about was getting their children to eat eggs. Every parent wants to give their children a better life than they had, but my boys will never have that chance. Not unless I make one for them. You're right. I'm no coward.
Nid pushes back the hair from her eyes, and follows you away from the docks.
...I forgot about that event. Poor Nid :smith: Anyway, she's still with us for now.

There is no end to the problems, though. At this rate the city will eat itself before Ruin ever has a chance.

You assign three-man teams at key locations, to hold back the dredge as much as keep the townsfolk from trampling each other. Hopefully they survive to return to the caravan later...

So far, no major disasters. But now this.

: Don't go easy on them, Petrus.
: Oh, I won't. Believe me. I've been waiting for this.

And so we leave Petrus to an uncertain fate. We did say we'd trust him, and he said that we needed to deal with Rugga in order to stop any of this. So let's go do that.

What do you want, Rugga?

: This has to end. Now! There are people dying by the minute to a Sundr, the wall's falling as we speak and still, still your clansmen fight against us!
: I don't deserve all the credit. There are many players in this game.
: This is no faen board game!
From what feels far away, bells toll above the din of the carnage outside.

BGM: TREES CANNOT GROW IN A MOONLESS SKY
: What are those bells?

: Meinolf. Finally dead. Sounds like you need me now, more than ever.
: Are you kidding me? You've lost your only...why should we even let you live, now?
: Lass, Meinolf died days ago, he just didn't know it. That poison had no cure. When I learned the menders were forbidden from touching the mind I found a suitable venom. He died in his sleep, dreaming the most horrific visions. Or so I've been told.
: You vicious son of a bitch!
: Have you ever witnessed a city turn, hungrily, upon itself? Like a starving wolf eating its own cubs? Have you witnessed the rape, slaughter, and torture of thousands, the sounds and the smells of it? I have. Oh, and when that chaos spills over the edge, there is no cure. Just like Meinolf. Should I die, you will see these things for yourself. I promise you that.

: No, you're going to listen to me, now!
You don't pull your punch. Rugga's head swings back as if on a hinge. He is no longer smiling.
: Do you know why I do this?
: Do what, you piece of trash? Deceive? Leech on mankind?
: Why I speak on behalf of the people you despise so much? Why I have always done so? Because they will always be here, no matter how hard you pretend they don't exist. There is nothing more infuriating, or terrifying, than not being heard! So they give me their power! I am the will of the people!

:siren:VOTE TIME
It's time to deal with Rugga. The choices here lead to further branches, but this basically boils down to 3 things:
Do we:
A.) Negotiate with Rugga. He's untrustworthy and will almost certainly betray us when convenient. But in a city about to eat itself, if we can delay the betrayal, it might come at a less disastrous time.
B.) Walk away. We have a stalemate presently. His men can't get too violent lest Rugga die. Of course, if they manage to spring him then we're in trouble. He's only leverage for us while he's in our power, and we're about to go beyond the wall to fight Ruin.
C.) Kill him. Let his men come and riot. Rugga is an evil bastard, and letting him live one second longer just invites future trouble.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 14, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kill him.

He'll just backstab you anyway. Again.

Also, like, look at Boersgard. None of what he does actually works out.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 11, 2018

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

C

It's the end of the world and we're all going to die anyway. Let him go first.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly curious about what happens in you just straight up kill him

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Killing him seems like more of a Rook than an Alette thing to do. It's odd that Alette even has this choice.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ArcadePark posted:

Killing him seems like more of a Rook than an Alette thing to do. It's odd that Alette even has this choice.

Everyone has a breaking point.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Just kill him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ArcadePark posted:

Alette tried to dump Rugga in a chasm, and if Rugga had betrayed us in BS2 she’d have stabbed Dagr and strung him up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ArcadePark posted:

Alette might have tried to be innocent at the start of the story, but she's a chief now. Hundreds have lived and died by her decisions, and that's not counting all the people that she's killed in combat (and while dredge might not have counted in the first game, she's well aware that they're people by now). If killing one person has the potential to save thousands, I can see her making that choice. Rugga would tear down the whole city as long as he gets to sit on what remains of the throne as the darkness pours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Rugga would 100% try to kill Ludin and Ludin has actually become kind of okay.