Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The unsharp area is just as likely to appear on the right edge or the left edge, and isn't consistent in its extent or location. The areas appear on the negatives themselves and are persistent across different scanners and labs. So far, it hasn't ever appeared on the first frame. I wonder if it's a pressure plate/roller problem, or maybe something with the advance crank, like it's not holding the film down tight and flush against the gate. I'm taking this P6x7 to the camera doctor later this week to see what they think, but in the meantime I'm posting here to see if anyone has an opinion on the issue.

Speaking of pressure plates - are you sure it's set to 120 and not to 220?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I thought about this. Fortunately, the 6x7 has an indicator on the back and I can see that the pressure plate is correctly set.

I've also thought about putting it in 220 mode (the pressure plate, not the spool counter) and running a roll of 120 through it, thinking that the plate springs might be getting worn out and not holding the film firmly against the guides & rollers at the 120 setting, and that the extra pressure from the 220 setting might alleviate the flatness issue. But that's probably not a good idea. And I'm leaning towards the conclusion that it's the take-up spool not keeping the film taught anyway.

But I've trolled through the photo.net and apug archives and so far can't find any threads that relate to an issue like mine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Have you looked at the negs with a loupe

When you load the film do you hold the nearly full roll while you advance the take up?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Father O'Blivion posted:

Edit: Another quickie with the Shaggin' Wagon

:catdrugs:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Anybody have experiences with stereo camera? I just put down for one of these w/ a binocular slide viewer:

There's a Soviet 6x6 model called the 'Sputnik', and its associated aucutruments, littering Ebay but I think I'll give this and 35mm Ektachrome a whirl first.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I bought a nishika n8000 back when they were $10 NIB instead of the insane price that they are today. It's fun, but doesn't get a ton of use. A 6x6 stereo camera sounds pretty awesome though. You could make old timey contact prints for those wooden stereo photo holders.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Portable LED 35mm film slide projectors aren't a thing but this technique struck me as a novel, semi-portable way to view slides and take advantage of both eyes.

I seem to recall an effusion of gifs at one point that were presumably created with 2 & 4 lens cameras. Did nishika ever produce any slide viewing gear? I forget what Vincent Price said to do with the negatives...

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Father O'Blivion posted:

Portable LED 35mm film slide projectors aren't a thing but this technique struck me as a novel, semi-portable way to view slides and take advantage of both eyes.

The old Minolta Mini 35 comes close. The regular bulb is perfectly adequate but looking around you could probably do an LED retrofit for about $10-20.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

On the other end of the price/availability spectrum, a
3D World TL120

Also, regarding the Pentax 6x7, I tend to put the angled leader of the backing paper just inside the slot of the take-up spool and hold it there with my right thumb, apply very gentle rightward-downward pressure on the feed-out spool with my left index and middle fingers, then stretch out the first two fingers of my right hand to turn the film advance lever. Once it's rotated fully the backing paper is securely wrapped around the spool, I take my hands off either spool and advance the lever again, sometimes centering the paper if its edges are starting to ride up on the upper or lower plates of the take-up spool. It looks like it feeds out...pretty flat. The second advance of the lever puts the backing paper arrow in the '120' area. I figure the pressure plate holds the the film flat, and the tension I feel after closing the back and turning the advance lever a few more times seems to indicate to me that everything is good inside, but maybe I'm not doing it right...

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Father O'Blivion posted:

Did nishika ever produce any slide viewing gear? I forget what Vincent Price said to do with the negatives...
Their gimmick was that you would send them the roll and they'd send you lenticular prints. The camera came with a sample, which is pretty cool to look at. Lenticular printing is making a comeback and I've been meaning to get some shots printed. I've also thought about trying to make a disc for a viewmaster, but haven't got around to it either.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Father O'Blivion posted:

Anybody have experiences with stereo camera? I just put down for one of these w/ a binocular slide viewer:

There's a Soviet 6x6 model called the 'Sputnik', and its associated aucutruments, littering Ebay but I think I'll give this and 35mm Ektachrome a whirl first.

Sputniks are garbage and I'd bet money that all of the ones you are seeing on eBay are in non-workable condition. Basically it's two Lubitels jammed together so it inherits all of the bad stuff of the base Lubitel along with the all new bad stuff of low-volume, low-end Soviet manufacturing. The casings are bakelite which gets more brittle and cracks as it ages, the metal is just thinly plated steel that rusts so goddam fast it's not even funny, and the build quality straight off the line is everything you would expect from the LOMO factory in the mid 1960s.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

TheLastManStanding posted:

Their gimmick was that you would send them the roll and they'd send you lenticular prints. The camera came with a sample, which is pretty cool to look at. Lenticular printing is making a comeback

Maybe it could go on a t-shirt or album cover. Or like a phone case. Or a100 patents.... lol

Salut

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Father O'Blivion posted:

Huh, I have an old dirty projector lens that I've been meaning to drop off at a local "repurpose" store. I wonder if I could couple that with a flashlight to make a little slide projector.

If I had any modeling skills, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make a 3D printed base to hold the lens, a slide, and a cheap flashlight.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Seems like a white laser would be the thing to use, but then again I don't know anything about optics.

Do holograms count as film? Make a pocketable projector for those first, please.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

If I had any modeling skills, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make a 3D printed base to hold the lens, a slide, and a cheap flashlight.

Sounds like an easy enough project. I'd be happy to model something up for it if you go ahead with the idea

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Without any warning, my camera and electronics collecting uncle sent me a Nikon LS-1000 film scanner he had laying around. The only problem is that it's so old that it only uses a SCSI connector...and that it's old.

Is it worth trying to find the connector parts needed to hook it up to my computer?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

Without any warning, my camera and electronics collecting uncle sent me a Nikon LS-1000 film scanner he had laying around. The only problem is that it's so old that it only uses a SCSI connector...and that it's old.

Is it worth trying to find the connector parts needed to hook it up to my computer?

I don't think you could find parts to adapt a SCSI to modern interfaces but I could be wrong. Here's the specs on it:

Do you shoot a lot of 35mm?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

VelociBacon posted:

Do you shoot a lot of 35mm?

I've started to pick up more now that I have a bit more expendable income. I develop my own B&W and want to scan it to my computer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

I've started to pick up more now that I have a bit more expendable income. I develop my own B&W and want to scan it to my computer.

Turns out you can get SCSI to USB adaptors. I would give it a shot. The Epson flatbed scanners aren't too expensive either though.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
welcome to the coolscan club

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just got confirmation that the two rolls of Ektachrome i ordered have shipped. Excited to get the rolls!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

This seems like too good of a deal? This guy is selling 10x 10-packs of Instax Mini for $18 CAD (14 USD) but has a zero ebay rating

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/eusvsu46/m....=p2047675.l2562

I figure I will buy one because ebay tends to favor buyers in disputes. Is there anything in the description that seems scammy?

nvm the user got deleted already

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There was a huge run of scammers listing Shanghai GP3 on ebay for next to nothing a few months ago. Packs of ten for ten bux. Never understood what their game was since ebay will refund you without issue. Maybe they were hoping folks wouldn't give a crap if they didn't receive their film that doesn't exist and not request refund. Legit Shanghai GP3 is being sold for about as much as Ilford and Kodak's offerings so no real point in buying it unless you want to see what it is all about.

For :canada: goons, Downtown Camera is now stocking Ultrafine Xtreme if you ever wanted to try it without going through Photo Warehouse's bizarre shipping routine. No one knows what it is other than almost probably being a Harman contract coating and folks seem to rave about it. Grabbed a bunch of the 100 and 400 in 120 today.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Had a brain fart and popped open the back of my camera partway through rewinding. Dropped the roll in some dilute Rodinal for an hour to see what survived instead of sending it to the lab. Its Fuji Superia 400. The photos the weren't obliterated are mostly okay aside from the dark brown mask making everything super dense and being bad photographs of stuff in a forest. White balancing off the film rebate leaves a blueish/brown tone.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Well the left eye works...

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sauer posted:

Maybe they were hoping folks wouldn't give a crap if they didn't receive their film that doesn't exist and not request refund.

I am guessing this is what it is. They're probably hoping people forget or don't care because it's cheap enough not to bother (joke's on them, I am even cheaper)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Any guesses what would cause this dark bar to appear on the right edge of the frame inconsistently? Doesn't seem to happen always, and it seems to occur across a variety of shutter speeds--anywhere from 1/60 to 1/1000.

This is with a Pentax MX, which I know has a horizontal shutter. I just got it CLAed, too. :emo:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Did you scan that yourself? There was a user on another forum that had images with a similar issue which turned out to be a reflection from the crossbars of the film holders he was using. Where did you get it serviced?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's from The Darkroom, actually. I'll see if I can find the negatives to compare--house is in disarray from renovation, right now.

A couple more:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Looks like its even consistently slanted a little in each image. The edge is pretty sharp though. Maybe the front curtain is bouncing back a bit before the rear curtain gets there. Assuming it didn't do this before you got it serviced you should probably contact whoever did the CLA. And tell us who it was because I need to get my MX serviced and don't want to send it to Eric or whoever did yours.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, it was Eric.

I'm not seeing evidence in the test roll I shot before I sent it out to get CLAed (I just figured it'd need it anyway, since it was an okay condition EBay purchase). Then again, I don't see it in all of the ~250 shots I've taken since I got it back.

Blurgh.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Send him an email with your scans and let him know. He'll fix it but you'll still end up eating a shipping cost. He might have a solution that doesn't involve sending it to him.

I got a Spotmatic back from him a few weeks and while he fixed the capping shutter and replaced the seals, he didn't clean out the viewfinder and mirror and either didn't replace the meter cell he charged me for or didn't re-calibrate the meter after replacing it. Given you have to take the prism apart to replace meter cells you'd think he'd have cleaned it while it was supposedly open. I never actually use the meter in my Spotmatics so I'm not going to spend the beaucoup loonies to send a brick of a camera back to him from Canada.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, that's my next step. I took a quick look at the negatives for some photos where it was obvious and it's there--definitely not a scanning thing.

Thanks for the help!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Include a shot of the negatives on a lightbox or something as well so he can't just say its a scanning screw up.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Absolutely.

(If you or anyone else has any favorite shops for camera repairs, I'm totally up for hearing about them. I'm on the cusp of looking for an LX, but I don't really know who I want to CLA it, now.)

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Sauer posted:

Did you scan that yourself? There was a user on another forum that had images with a similar issue which turned out to be a reflection from the crossbars of the film holders he was using. Where did you get it serviced?

Insanite posted:

It's from The Darkroom, actually. I'll see if I can find the negatives to compare--house is in disarray from renovation, right now.

I haven't used The Darkroom, but if the scans come back in order try counting the instances and see if the occurrences are evenly spaced. Like, if it's every 6 images or something with an obvious pattern, then I'd suspect the scanner.

Obviously this suggestion is only worthwhile if you don't find the issue on the negatives.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, it's on the negatives. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it--it's on almost every frame of some FP4 Plus 125 that I shot right after some Kodak Gold 200, which has almost zero. All at the same location. Shutter speeds should be roughly in the same area.

Shooting film is fun as hell, but I'd kill for a new, repairable, simple camera that didn't have to survive through decades of neglect to reach me.

Ironically, my Super Program, which I've had longer and is pretty dirt cheap on the used market, has been awesome. I'll be sad when it goes.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Insanite posted:

Shooting film is fun as hell, but I'd kill for a new, repairable, simple camera that didn't have to survive through decades of neglect to reach me.

How much money you got? Nikon will make you a brand new F6 to order if you hand them a few grand.

There are lots of cameras out there that are legitimately "mint" aside from having decades old lubricant in them but you have to visit actual vintage gear dealers and pay way more than E-Bay prices for it. My F100 had only ever had a half dozen rolls of film put through it when I got (assuming the seller didn't bullshit me) and had spent a decade in a humidity controlled display case but I also paid about twice what they typically go for on E-Bay for it. Someone who professionally trades in old gear would actually know how to use and care for a camera instead of the usual "untested, sold as is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I snatched up a couple Elan IIs and an Elan 7 off of ebay for super cheap and have been really enjoying them. Might be out of the range of "simple" but for being 20 years old, give or take, they seem really nice. My perspective might be skewed on age, though, since they're barely older than my DSLR.