Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That said, there's a degree of sense to it, given most people will probably attest that stimulants make it easier to focus on a given task. (hence why coffee is a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yup, I have a close friend who uses Monsters when her ADHD kicks in hard. Coffee doesn’t do much for her other than keep her awake (she’s hypoactive aka she needs to be doing things otherwise she gets sleepy easily)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
His murphy bed mission is villainy at its finest.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Underbeit and Underland fricking owned and while Catclops was kinda lame what exactly do you against strong women in power? :colbert:

Hank giving the cancer henchman a wedgie and both Brock and Doc yelling at him because they're mortified was great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want to repeat this time not behind spoiler tags: :lol: at Knife Bear not even being mentioned.

Also the best part of the episode was easily the Monarch calling Gary his best friend.

btw, is Scare Bear the official name of the character or is it just what this thread decided to call him because I always liked Knife Bear better.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

axelblaze posted:

I just want to repeat this time not behind spoiler tags: :lol: at Knife Bear not even being mentioned.

Also the best part of the episode was easily the Monarch calling Gary his best friend.

btw, is Scare Bear the official name of the character or is it just what this thread decided to call him because I always liked Knife Bear better.

Scare Bear was used in the book, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Yep. Page 216, Jackson Public says, "He's never named in the episode ["Bright Lights, Dean City"], but I call him Scare Bear from Mark Wallinger's Sleeper."

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 9, 2018

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always found it funny that treating ADHD is basically fighting fire with fire.

haha yeah- I mean- its sort of that
The 'hyperactivity' part doesn't always mean that you're up and peppy, just that your attention is all over the place, way more active than normal.
Hank's a teenager- he hasn't ridden down the dopamine yet. Adult ADHD is a whole other thing, and it sucks, lol- I honestly hope this show runs enough decades to at least give us a glimpse into Hank's mid-20s

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Peanut Butler posted:

haha yeah- I mean- its sort of that
The 'hyperactivity' part doesn't always mean that you're up and peppy, just that your attention is all over the place, way more active than normal.
Hank's a teenager- he hasn't ridden down the dopamine yet. Adult ADHD is a whole other thing, and it sucks, lol- I honestly hope this show runs enough decades to at least give us a glimpse into Hank's mid-20s
I too hope to be alive in 2075.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think Underbheit is a Guild member, though.

Isn't Unterland on the US/Canada border? Have to wonder if that's Guild or PP territory.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fowl posted:

Isn't Unterland on the US/Canada border? Have to wonder if that's Guild or PP territory.

I'm pretty sure it was described as "surrounded by Michigan" in Love Bheits

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I always imagined Unterland as just Ohio.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

fishmech posted:

They get welcomed to Michigan when they escape but that's it.

Dracula Factory posted:

I always imagined Unterland as just Ohio.

It's half the size of Delaware, so it's ~991 sq mi.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That's only like six detroits.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Yeah it's just kinda in the middle of nowhere

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
For some reason I always imagined Underland was between Detroit and Windsor, because I'm from that area and it just makes sense :v: Like if Lake St Clair was a country or something.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think Underbheit is a Guild member, though.

It was implied that he was a Guild member. It wouldn't surprise me if he was kicked out after he and the others tried to form their own thing. This thread is making me wonder if he's involved with the Peril Partnership pushing into Guild territory.

Is there a reason they stopped using his character so much? I liked him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TerminalRaptor posted:

It was implied that he was a Guild member. It wouldn't surprise me if he was kicked out after he and the others tried to form their own thing. This thread is making me wonder if he's involved with the Peril Partnership pushing into Guild territory.

They don't like him very much and have trouble writing for him.

In a deleted scene from Gargantua-2 Fat Chance sends him back to Ünderland so I get the feeling we won't see him again any time soon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

feel like I read an interview or something where the guys said they're just sick of writing for him or they can't think of anything they want to do with the character.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They talk about it in the commentary a lot, like everything season 2 and onward whenever he comes up they talk about how done with that character they've been since season 1.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Lord Frisk posted:

That's only like six detroits.

Funny you mention that, because they were originally going to call Underland "Six Detroits." But then they got the concept art done, and they realized that Underland was just too pleasant-looking to be even one Detroit.

Edit: ... OK, something strange is happening. My umlauts are turning into �'s. I haven't changed the character encoding on my end. Has anyone else noticed this? I see it in a few other posts, too.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 10, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s some stupid poo poo with the forums. it’s happening with a lot of non alphanumeric characters

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

case in point

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Baron did have 1 fantastic line: the cat hair in mein glass! OF COURSE!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Continuing with my rewatch, just watched The Incredible Mr Brisby, honestly I'd say this is probably the weakest episode in Season 1 if we don't count either the Pilot or the Christmas special, still there's a couple good jokes in here, and some important lore bits get introduced here like Cloning, as well as the first hints that Jonas Sr wasn't the greatest dad

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always liked Mandalay and Brock about to face off and Mandalay going "Ah gently caress it, I don't need this poo poo" and walks off. I like to imagine that's because he knew Brock and how he'd have zero chance against him.

So, we know Brock would totally destroy Rocko right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Continuing with my rewatch, just watched The Incredible Mr Brisby, honestly I'd say this is probably the weakest episode in Season 1 if we don't count either the Pilot or the Christmas special, still there's a couple good jokes in here, and some important lore bits get introduced here like Cloning, as well as the first hints that Jonas Sr wasn't the greatest dad

And that David Bowie ran in some unsavory circles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I always liked Mandalay and Brock about to face off and Mandalay going "Ah gently caress it, I don't need this poo poo" and walks off. I like to imagine that's because he knew Brock and how he'd have zero chance against him.

Hard to say. Rocko's the right hand man of a Level 10, wouldn't be surprised if he was at least on par with Hatred and 21. (who last I checked were evenly matched; it's implied Hatred's not what he used to be while 21 has massively improved) Brock's considered able to punch way above his weight, but lacks flexibility.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

twistedmentat posted:

Power armor? PUSSY!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

There were definitely some good bits in that episode, like almost everything Brisby says is gold, it's a shame they never used him as an antagonist again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rocco and Brock did fight in "It Happening One Night". They were pretty much 100% even matched though Rocco was wearing his power armor.

So, without armor, Brock would destroy Rocco.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
Mandalay! I've come aflame again!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hard to say. Rocko's the right hand man of a Level 10, wouldn't be surprised if he was at least on par with Hatred and 21. (who last I checked were evenly matched; it's implied Hatred's not what he used to be while 21 has massively improved) Brock's considered able to punch way above his weight, but lacks flexibility.

Rocko said he was a Navy Seal, which is probably the same as a National Guardsmen to a Seal as a Seal is to an Elite OSI agent.

Brock also has shown time and time again to be incredibly creative and able to think on his feet. He also displays amazing situational awareness. Plus he does not gently caress around and will go for the kill from the get go.

bull3964 posted:

Rocco and Brock did fight in "It Happening One Night". They were pretty much 100% even matched though Rocco was wearing his power armor.

So, without armor, Brock would destroy Rocco.

Brock was probably pulling his punches, knowing killing the #1 henchman of Rusty's new Arch would probably antagonize him more.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Brock fights three of Wide Wale's henchmen in the park (I think s6e2), and two of them 'didn't make it' according to Rocco, who survived. I think Rocco's tough but...he's no Sampson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brock does gladly gently caress around when he feels he has the time to get his murderboner on in creative ways (which Watch and Ward took full advantage of) but he does tend to be incredibly competent despite his refusal to use most advanced weaponry. I don't think Rocco feels any shame in using power armour against him though. And it has been noted that Hatred is actually better at protecting the boys and inflicts more casualties on the Fluttering Hordes because he actually uses guns.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

And continuing the rewatch, I'm now onto Eeny, Meeny, Miney... Magic, the episode that introduces us to Doctor Orpheus, and is in my opinion the point where the show really starts hitting it's stride, and is overall a really good episode outside of some awkward bits with Dean*, and while funny the whole "heart of a forsaken child" bit really feels out of place with how Rusty's character is later developed, my personal guess has always been that Rusty didn't intend to use such a thing originally, but when circumstances led to him having one on hand he couldn't see a reason not to use it in a sort of Super Science version of "want not, waste not"

Also the OPEN!!!!! bit is still in my opinion one of the funniest things the show has ever done

*which is a shame cause I'm probably one of the few people who wholeheartedly liked the whole Dean/Triana arc until they ended it in a way I'm still kinda unhappy about(and is one of several reasons I still am not a big fan of Operation Prom)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 10, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

And continuing the rewatch, I'm now onto Eeny, Meeny, Miney... Magic, the episode that introduces us to Doctor Orpheus, and is in my opinion the point where the show really starts hitting it's stride, and is overall a really good episode outside of some awkward bits with Dean, and while funny the whole "heart of a forsaken child" bit really feels out of place with how Rusty's character is later developed, my personal guess has always been that Rusty didn't intend to use such a thing originally, but when circumstances led to him having one on hand he couldn't see a reason not to use it in a sort of Super Science version of "want not, waste not"

Also the OPEN!!!!! bit is still in my opinion one of the funniest things the show has ever done

yeah, agree, the whole "an...orphan?" exchange is one of the first really funny bits I remember from the first season. and Orpheus is a great character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love in the background Dean is braiding the hair of a shrunken head.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
According to the book, the Brisby episode was conceived of like, before the pilot as Jackson was big into doing a Disney spoof. So it is a really early concept of what VB would be. I remember Adult Swim advertised the hell out of the Brock/Molotov hotel fight when S1 aired.

And, dang it, I like the Brisby episode. Weird panda jokes. The Brock/Mol stuff. An inexplicable Rear Window reference. First mention of Bowie in the whole show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

According to the book, the Brisby episode was conceived of like, before the pilot as Jackson was big into doing a Disney spoof. So it is a really early concept of what VB would be. I remember Adult Swim advertised the hell out of the Brock/Molotov hotel fight when S1 aired.

And, dang it, I like the Brisby episode. Weird panda jokes. The Brock/Mol stuff. An inexplicable Rear Window reference. First mention of Bowie in the whole show.

It's still a good episode(I'm of the opinion that Season 1 doesn't have any bad episodes if we don't count the pilot), just probably the roughest one overall, the whole Orange County Liberation Front plot was just not that good and drags down the rest of the episode because of it(but I'm probably especially hard on that subplot because I lived in Orange County for most of my life, and it just felt really half-assed and an incredibly shallow exploration of the very complicated relationship people there have with Disney and Disneyland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

drrockso20 posted:

It's still a good episode(I'm of the opinion that Season 1 doesn't have any bad episodes if we don't count the pilot), just probably the roughest one overall, the whole Orange County Liberation Front plot was just not that good and drags down the rest of the episode because of it(but I'm probably especially hard on that subplot because I lived in Orange County for most of my life, and it just felt really half-assed and an incredibly shallow exploration of the very complicated relationship people there have with Disney and Disneyland)

Weird how they didn't diligently explore a complex issue in the cartoon where the Disney parody is a comically ruthless and violent empire that using a cheerful, child-friendly facade to-

You know what, nevermind.