Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's been about a year since I last played this game, and several years since I levelled a new character. Is the best way to go still just focusing on MSQ + Unlock quests and doing a leveling roulette each day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It's been about a year since I last played this game, and several years since I levelled a new character. Is the best way to go still just focusing on MSQ + Unlock quests and doing a leveling roulette each day?

Yep, level roulette is still huge exp, along with Palace of the Dead which is unlockable at the Gridania inn at 17+ if memory serves.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For the love of god do not level in PoTD if you can help it for the sake of your sanity.

For your first job, MSQ + LDR is plenty though

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Gaius' relationship with Livia was also hosed up and almost definitely exploitative. I'm interested in him coming back and excited to see what happens, he's someone I could see the WoL begrudingly working with on a common goal, but he's definitely not sympathetic and if they try to make him out to be I'll be cringing hard the whole way.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gaius basically suffers from being the cool badguy who has enough none-awful points that are easy to meme. Gaius isn't as awful as other Garleans? Well, Gaius did nothing wrong! Etc.

Regulus has bits of this but his stint as a character is too brief.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'd rather work with Zenos on the Great Hunt: the quest to kill the gods.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tekne posted:

I'd rather work with Zenos on the Great Hunt: the quest to kill the gods.

We may still get this!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't know how I ever picked a race and class the first time I played this. Everything just looks too drat cool and cute.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I don't know how I ever picked a race and class the first time I played this. Everything just looks too drat cool and cute.

R is for Roegadyn
O is for Roegadyn
E is for Roegadyn
G is for Roegadyn
A is for Roegadyn
D is for Roegadyn
Y is for Roegadyn
N is for Roegadyn

ROEGADYN

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope the A-plot of 5.0 is Alphinaud owning Gaius over and over, and also being a blue mage (which he learns from the WoL, who invented it).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If there's one thing the warrior of light knows about, it's getting owned by monster and then murdering them back.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I gotta come up with an LB3 macro for Satellite Beam. It begs for one, and I have no idea why Omega uses the BRD one instead.

Just use Air Raider lines from EDF, can't go wrong.

/p "Illegal access to Notung. Somebody is starting up the Satellite Blaster!"
/ac "Limit Break"
/wait 3.5
/p "Fire the S A T E L L I T E B L A S T E R ! ! !"

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Gaius is in this weird area where his philosophy marries "might makes right" and "with great power comes great responsibility." It's just that, y'know, the responsibility is to rule people for their own good without much moral consideration as to how you get to that point or how you sort it out after the fact.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also remind me to post my shotcaller Frontline macros when I get home. I swear they tack on an extra 20% win rate to Maelstrom.

Here's your reminder.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I gotta come up with an LB3 macro for Satellite Beam. It begs for one, and I have no idea why Omega uses the BRD one instead.

Omega would have had to witness it first, and nobody plays MCH.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ironslave posted:

Gaius is in this weird area where his philosophy marries "might makes right" and "with great power comes great responsibility." It's just that, y'know, the responsibility is to rule people for their own good without much moral consideration as to how you get to that point or how you sort it out after the fact.

What always gets me during his "I AM THE MOST POWERFUL MAN EVER" speeches he kept making during Praetorium is when he was fighting using his *actual* strength and power he got beaten. So, by that logic, shouldn't we be better?
And when he then hops into Ultima Weapon to keep fighting, and we beat it *again*, doesn't that prove he's still the weakest because he can't even beat us using an ancient and powerful war machine?

And yet he keeps going. "NOW I WILL BEAT YOU AND PROVE I AM THE STRONGEST PERSON using of course this giant magitech machine we don't understand can't recreate and is stronger than everything we've ever made or used ever in the history of the empire see totally ubermench"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, he goes from "You don't have the strength of a ruler!" to conceding that you're stronger than him by the end.

But yeah, I did roll my eyes a bit when he's all "The question of who is mightier remains!" after I've beaten him up and also ripped out his three Primals.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The question of how we handle Gaius is probably gonna be solved by way of Gaius getting Ascian bodyjacked and we have to kill an empowered him as the last fight of 5.0, he dies freeing Garlemald from Ascian control while at the same time going "yeah i kinda deserve this". He'll be remembered as a bad man who did some good things at the very end of his life and receive an unmarked plot that WoL/Alisaie/Alphinaud/some important scion or something lay flowers on at the end of 5.0, roll credits

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hello yes is this where I post my erotic FFXIV fanfiction "Gaius Pounds Suit Ofkhardz in the Butt for Playing Overwatch with a Player Named Daddy?"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wish we could interupt his Randian ranting.

I think the biggest reason we just repeatedly let him wander off before, after, and during fights is we're just stunned and unable to focus after he Galts us.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ironslave posted:

His philosophy is pretty much exactly Garlean Man's Burden with a bunch of Will to Power thrown in for fun.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
RE: Gaius talk I really hope that, somehow, the very obviously Gaius character is in fact not Gaius. The potential for a Gaius redemption arc really doesn't sit well with me, even if it is the aforementioned "we kill him to kill an ascian". Also it'd be a killer curve ball if Shadowhunter is like, his brother or something. Maybe it turns out that Gaius was the Solidus figure all along, in that he's a completely worthless stooge.

Banjo Kaczynski fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 10, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hello am Roe.

Malabolg
Apr 21, 2010
Uhhh ... so I make a character (giant-lady with a sword, sweet), start off in Uldah, and Momodi at the Quicksand is wanting to talk about dicks roughly thirty seconds after meeting me. Is that ... normal, for her?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Haven't played in a year and I cannot figure out how to switch to monk. Im lvl 35 it says lvl 35 monk under classes/jobs but I'm still a pugilist. Can't even find any of the quests to become one if I'm not one somehow already

GODDAMN IT I figured it out

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

verbal enema posted:

Haven't played in a year and I cannot figure out how to switch to monk. Im lvl 35 it says lvl 35 monk under classes/jobs but I'm still a pugilist. Can't even find any of the quests to become one if I'm not one somehow already

GODDAMN IT I figured it out

You equipped the job stone, didn't you

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Malabolg posted:

Uhhh ... so I make a character (giant-lady with a sword, sweet), start off in Uldah, and Momodi at the Quicksand is wanting to talk about dicks roughly thirty seconds after meeting me. Is that ... normal, for her?

Sounds about right.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

isk posted:

You equipped the job stone, didn't you

yeah

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Malabolg posted:

That's just Ul'dah for you.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malabolg posted:

She likes to watch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Malabolg posted:

Catgirl Simulator XIV is a very horny game.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Olesh posted:

Just use Air Raider lines from EDF, can't go wrong.

/p "Illegal access to Notung. Somebody is starting up the Satellite Blaster!"
/ac "Limit Break"
/wait 3.5
/p "Fire the S A T E L L I T E B L A S T E R ! ! !"

holy poo poo

I'm leveling MCH just to use this

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol just kidding I'm never leveling MCH

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I haven't gotten far enough to see what all the Gaius hubbub is about yet but I just gotta say... what's the deal with Raubahn's voice actor? I have to shake my head at the faux Britishness of the Scions, and Merlvyb sounds like Helen Mirren GM'ing a dungeon crawl, but Raubahn is just so over the top that any voiced CS with him in it just makes me giggle a bit. I almost feel like I'm watching the Dungeons and Dragons movie, only Jeremy Irons is one of the good guys. Is there anyone else later in the game that chews the scenery as hard as Raubahn does?

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I haven't gotten far enough to see what all the Gaius hubbub is about yet but I just gotta say... what's the deal with Raubahn's voice actor? I have to shake my head at the faux Britishness of the Scions, and Merlvyb sounds like Helen Mirren GM'ing a dungeon crawl, but Raubahn is just so over the top that any voiced CS with him in it just makes me giggle a bit. I almost feel like I'm watching the Dungeons and Dragons movie, only Jeremy Irons is one of the good guys. Is there anyone else later in the game that chews the scenery as hard as Raubahn does?

raubahn is barely snacking compared to some later characters

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MAD SNAAAAAAKE

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Is there anyone else later in the game that chews the scenery as hard as Raubahn does?

Oh just wait until you meet this joker.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Malabolg posted:

Yes. Momodi is pretty thirsty.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Yes. Lalafell in general are usually pretty thirsty.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Momodi is a very nice mom who cares about all of her newbie children.

She also likes having a good time, who can blame her?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

One of the few good lalafels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

MAD SNAAAAAAKE

Oh just wait until you meet this joker.

Yes, yes! Just so! :thumbsup: