Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know what Solomon's Key is but I really like it. It's fun and seems to grant you way more abilities than you'd think with only two buttons. They still really need to tell you controls, yes you figure it out fast enough by fumbling around but it'd be nice to not have to do that.

Souped up Zelda is a nice addition. I like it to just kinda explore the world, and remember things without the pain of being a weakling. I beat Zelda 1 once back on that re-release they gave you with WW on the GC and I have no real intention of doing it again but with save states maybe I'll go through it slowly as time allows.

They should do this with other games though, really helps ease that difficult entry barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nep-Nep posted:

That seems pretty cool, like an easier version of the game to draw people in? I wonder if they'll do more versions of games like that.

Special version of Zelda 2 with a bunch of exp and perma-candle please.
I could have swore the European website mentioned a "Special" version of SMB3 coming at some point this year.

Interesting to see Nintendo return to doing various weird little ROM hacks as bonuses... they haven't done that in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88x08QZTGo

EDIT: Heh, it's not even a ROM hack, it's just a pre-prepared save-state. Odd.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 10, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mister Facetious posted:

*checks the Nintendo Switch's release library*

Yup, no games for it either. Claim checks out.
It's mostly about the lazy ports, everyone ignoring about the touch screen, and the heaving rise of the titty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Surprised there's SMB1 and 3 but not 2, or the one we know as The Lost Levels. I suppose there's always the future.

The Lost Levels is brutal.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

I could have swore the European website mentioned a "Special" version of SMB3 coming at some point this year.

Interesting to see Nintendo return to doing various weird little ROM hacks as bonuses... they haven't done that in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88x08QZTGo

EDIT: Heh, it's not even a ROM hack, it's just a pre-prepared save-state. Odd.

I would've never thought about it, but watching a platformer going right-to-left is incredibly... wrong. I don't feel nauseous but just deeply unsettled. Like being pulled in a way I don't want to, or hearing some subliminal tone that just puts you off. It's the best Halloween scare I would've never imagined.

That said, I now wonder why Japanese programmers made these games function left-to-right, when they themselves read right to left. Or maybe that's not the correlation. All I know is that I deeply believe that things begin on the left and finish on the right to the point that I know I put my shoes on left side first. Gloves too. Not on purpose it's just what happens.

EDIT: Watching it makes me itchy. It is hosed up.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That said, I now wonder why Japanese programmers made these games function left-to-right, when they themselves read right to left. Or maybe that's not the correlation. All I know is that I deeply believe that things begin on the left and finish on the right to the point that I know I put my shoes on left side first. Gloves too. Not on purpose it's just what happens.

Japanese reads right to left when written vertically, but left to right when written horizontally, so no contradiction here.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got curious and found this article: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/41913/20150324/science-explains-why-video-games-scroll-left-to-right.htm

It uses a study to support the claim that our brains generally have a bias such that left to right movement in that sort of setting feels more natural. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the whole idea but it sounds sensible.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nep-Nep posted:

I got curious and found this article: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/41913/20150324/science-explains-why-video-games-scroll-left-to-right.htm

It uses a study to support the claim that our brains generally have a bias such that left to right movement in that sort of setting feels more natural. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the whole idea but it sounds sensible.

Interesting. Come to think of it, it's been a convention far far longer than video games. Those early reels of horses running shows them going to the right. There's this great early animation of Coco the Clown dancing to St. James Infirmary that has him moving to the right as well.

Maybe we wrote left to right for this very reason. I don't know, but clearly it's deeply ingrained within us, and helps explain why the above clip is so unsettling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was it Hebrew or Arabic that's written right to left?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nep-Nep posted:

The right hemisphere of your brain (which is concerned with your left visual field but also is responsible for peripheral vision and a more holistic perspective on your surroundings) picks up objects/symbols of interest first, then the left hemisphere focuses on the item to analyze it, using the dominant right eye/hand*. At least that much is pretty basic neurophysiology, but I dunno how much it means for reading direction or other highly-cultural skills & habits.

*this is even true for the majority of left-handed people. Which is a whole other thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both? That's the same language branch.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
btw I also rule at NES Open Tournament Golf and have been playing it regularly since I was a kid, however it is usually a very challenging for newcomers so if anybody has any questions on how to dominate let me know

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is all this why the left JoyCon is more prone to failure

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Never played Mark of the Ninja before, started it last night. Like the gameplay so far, don't really like the presentation. The Saturday morning cartoon cutscenes, the level of blood and gross gurgling sounds, the orientalism. The game almost loads too fast. You press a button and your on the next level or menu instantly with no transition, it's a little jarring.

Is there a way to just knock people out instead of kill them? I'd like to be able to play this in front of my kid

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 10, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both but then there are languages using the Arabic script that actually have very little in common with Arabic like Farsi and Urdu (mainly through the spread of Islam)

Turkish used to use that script too, and Christian Turks used to use Greek alphabet to write the same language. It was heavily tied to religion for a long time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This just arrived! And it's going to be a DELIGHT

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

We don't read japanese

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’m the mushroom

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is that a tamagotchi game?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I used my phone's translation camera to take a pic and apparently it's called:

Try The Child
The Forest

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

FastestGunAlive posted:

I�m the mushroom

We don't read swedish

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Never played Mark of the Ninja before, started it last night. Like the gameplay so far, don't really like the presentation. The Saturday morning cartoon cutscenes, the level of blood and gross gurgling sounds, the orientalism. The game almost loads too fast. You press a button and your on the next level or menu instantly with no transition, it's a little jarring.

Is there a way to just knock people out instead of kill them? I'd like to be able to play this in front of my kid

There is like one or two non lethal items but for the most part a non-lethal route is "dont touch the guards"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

We don't read japanese

Neither do I! I just love Sumikko. I'll work it out. They're wonderful.

EDIT: It's called Sumikko Gurashi: Atsumare! Sumikko Town. English would be something like "Corner Creatures: Collect! Corner Town"

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 10, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Frankston posted:

I used my phone's translation camera to take a pic and apparently it's called:

Try The Child
The Forest

That is not at all what it says, but maybe look into missing children in your town, sounds like a lead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corpse posted:

the bonus character Dosan (you see his episode as an option in the level select) can be unlocked and he's straight up a guy who does non-lethal takedowns. You can do his mission and then I think you can use him later one when costumes/items become unlockable to use.

game is as great as how I remember it though I'm baffled how this was locked at 30fps. Switch really couldn't handle such an old game at 60??? it's not a dealbreaker but I was kind of disappointed and legit shocked.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

souped-up zelda 1 is a disgrace

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

Both? That's the same language branch.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Both but then there are languages using the Arabic script that actually have very little in common with Arabic like Farsi and Urdu (mainly through the spread of Islam)

Turkish used to use that script too, and Christian Turks used to use Greek alphabet to write the same language. It was heavily tied to religion for a long time.

Consider me schooled, also not giving my own memory enough credit. Also explains a lot about Japanese (guessing manga is considered a top-to-bottom medium first)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Lost Levels is brutal.

I was doing a play through on emulator using a 360 controller. I was able to get to 8-4 pretty consistently after a few weeks but I got a massive blister from the lovely D-pad and had to put it down so I never finished. I'd love to pick it back up and finish it with an actually good D-pad because holy poo poo Mario is hard with a 360 controller.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Homestar Runner posted:

btw I also rule at NES Open Tournament Golf and have been playing it regularly since I was a kid, however it is usually a very challenging for newcomers so if anybody has any questions on how to dominate let me know

Hell yeah my man, effort post like hell on this because it took me like 5 tries to even hit a ball this morning, let alone hit it something like straight.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

This just arrived! And it's going to be a DELIGHT

Please post your impressions after a while. The demo felt bare bones, but I couldn't tell if it was the game or just the demo being really limited.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm baffled how this was locked at 30fps. Switch really couldn't handle such an old game at 60??? it's not a dealbreaker but I was kind of disappointed and legit shocked.

drat, guess I was wrong, I'm genuinely surprised they couldn't get it to run at 60.

30 isn't a deal-breaker but still.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't really notice the frame rate at all. Whatever it is, it's consistent and doesn't jump

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I got a 2ds xl and let me tell you, super Metroid but portable is very good

When will the snes vc be put on switch, I need more then Metroid and earthbound dang it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

collect the corner creatures

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

Please post your impressions after a while. The demo felt bare bones, but I couldn't tell if it was the game or just the demo being really limited.

I just played it for an hour. I opened a huge new space on the beach, Penguin gave his friends some cucumbers, the owl fell asleep from giving everyone lucky tokens, and Neko manned the clothing store (but hid from the customers).

If feels like it's going to be pretty meaty. There's a ton of shops to unlock, lots of fun mini games which are still grayed out, and the town is massive.

Super No Vacancy posted:

collect the corner creatures

I'm trying!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

romanowski posted:

souped-up zelda 1 is a disgrace
It's weird and dumb and an incredibly lazy way for Nintendo to try and pad their absolutely anaemic library of NES games. And worst of all now I've got 2 LoZ carts in the selection screen.

The fact that it's clearly just a save state with maxed out items and when you select it you're just jarringly jumped right into the middle of the game with no intro screens is particularly pathetic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

American McGay posted:

It's weird and dumb and an incredibly lazy way for Nintendo to try and pad their absolutely anaemic library of NES games. And worst of all now I've got 2 LoZ carts in the selection screen.

The fact that it's clearly just a save state with maxed out items and when you select it you're just jarringly jumped right into the middle of the game with no intro screens is particularly pathetic.

I think it's something great for kids. I remember being excited when a cart I rented had a completed save so I could see all the content I couldn't make it to. That just doesn't happen anymore.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

I think it's something great for kids. I remember being excited when a cart I rented had a completed save so I could see all the content I couldn't make it to. That just doesn't happen anymore.
The concept is fine, I'm just more annoyed by how incredibly lazy the execution is with it. Instead of working a way to include an "easy mode" into the regular ROM (or at the very least put a version selection menu on the game select screen), they created a whole new entry which amounts to a load state shortcut and threw a SPECIAL badge on the box art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You're literally not paying any more money for it, so I feel it's fair enough. The NES games have enough problems with ageing extremely badly.