Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=edfw9ip9sCQ

Saw that last night. It was good and absolutely beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pixel 3 XL White 64GB

Pixel 3 XL Fabric Case - Navy

Mickey Mouse Club Vans Old Skools from the Mickey 90th collection

:homebrew:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Git accessories

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fly with me posted:

Screw both, get a Switch.

Switch is worth the price of admission for Super Mario Oddessy and Breath of the Wild being some of the best games I've ever played, but there is such a plethora of incredible games for PS4 & XB1, you might as well get all three.

If you get XB1, definitely get:

Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall 2
Shadows of Mordor
Doom
Fallout 4
Wolfenstein New Order (the sequel was meh)
Assassin's Creed Black Flag & Origins

PS4
Spider Man
Zero Dawn Horizon
Far Cry 4 (5 had such promise, but a half baked, truly awful story)

For what it's worth, I just really like the PS4 as a console a lot more. I resisted getting one for years, being an Xbox fanboy since the first console, but the PS4 is far less infuriating and just so much more pleasant. It doesn't constantly stay on for no reason at all (even if you try shutting it down), it doesn't hit you with a surprise 75 gb update so you can't play your game even in single player, the menus are less nonsensical, the controller doesn't have a white light shining in your eye, even the startup tones are relaxing and pleasant. I'm converted, I far prefer the PS4 for all the little things that just make it a better experience.

E: For content, bought a half day Whitewater rafting trip with Cantrell's in the New River Gorge (WV)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Switch is worth the price of admission for Super Mario Oddessy and Breath of the Wild being some of the best games I've ever played, but there is such a plethora of incredible games for PS4 & XB1, you might as well get all three.

Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall 2
Shadows of Mordor
Doom
Fallout 4

PS4
Spider Man
Zero Dawn Horizon

For what it's worth, I just really like the PS4 as a console a lot more. I resisted getting one for years, being an Xbox fanboy since the first console, but the PS4 is far less infuriating and just so much more pleasant. It doesn't constantly stay on for no reason at all (even if you try shutting it down), it doesn't hit you with a surprise 75 gb update so you can't play your game even in single player, the menus are less nonsensical, the controller doesn't have a white light shining in your eye, even the startup tones are relaxing and pleasant. I'm converted, I far prefer the PS4 for all the little things that just make it a better experience.

E: For content, bought a half day Whitewater rafting trip with Cantrell's in the New River Gorge (WV)

Everything on your Xbox list except Sunset Overdrive is also available for PS4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Games are too long now. Once in a while I get a hankering to play games again and look at rear end Creed and people talk about how they played it for like 200 hours. I think the longest game I ever played was Mass Effect 2 for 28 hours and that was after doing every side quest.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Picked up some stuff tax free on my trip to the US :getin:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Deets on that power inverter? I'd like something small to stick away in my trunk for emergencies.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Mu Zeta posted:

Games are too long now. Once in a while I get a hankering to play games again and look at rear end Creed and people talk about how they played it for like 200 hours. I think the longest game I ever played was Mass Effect 2 for 28 hours and that was after doing every side quest.

I can't help but think this is a joke post, because games have gotten shorter and shorter and is a source of constant complaint.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

OniPanda posted:

I can't help but think this is a joke post, because games have gotten shorter and shorter and is a source of constant complaint.

Wether or not they're joking, I agree with them. People complained that the new Spiderman ps4 game was too short, but I thought it was the perfect length. I just don't have the time or desire to spend 200 hours playing a single game.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall 2
Shadows of Mordor
Doom
Fallout 4

PS4
Spider Man
Zero Dawn Horizon

I bought a (discounted from ebay) Switch, played through Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, then sold everything for maybe a $20-30 loss. It is definitely worth it for those 2 games alone.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'd been eyeballing the Dr. Marten's x New Order collection for a while and got the Technique pair at a huge discount over the weekend.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Slimy Hog posted:

Wether or not they're joking, I agree with them. People complained that the new Spiderman ps4 game was too short, but I thought it was the perfect length. I just don't have the time or desire to spend 200 hours playing a single game.

Took me like a year to finish everything in the witcher 3 and I wish I could've seen it faster I just don't have that kind of time

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'd been eyeballing the Dr. Marten's x New Order collection for a while and got the Technique pair at a huge discount over the weekend.

Those are d o p e a f

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Slimy Hog posted:

I was one that complained when games got shorter but the more I thought about it the more it is kinda nice to play a game through in one or two sittings (3-4 hours) rather than 10+ hours of game play. I just wish the price would reflect this as I can't justify paying $60 for 3-4 hours of entertainment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

JEEVES420 posted:

I was one that complained when games got shorter but the more I thought about it the more it is kinda nice to play a game through in one or two sittings (3-4 hours) rather than 10+ hours of game play. I just wish the price would reflect this as I can't justify paying $60 for 3-4 hours of entertainment.

Do you ever go to concerts, movies, sporting events, the zoo etc because it's about in line with what you pay for all that too

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

JEEVES420 posted:

Ugh, what games are charging $60 for 3-4 hours of entertainment?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Dollars per fun minute" is a bad metric and comes up way too often. We expect certain activities to have certain durations. Nobody cares about the $/Minute ratios between movies, games, concerts, truckstop BJ, etc

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Dollars per fun minute" is a bad metric and comes up way too often. We expect certain activities to have certain durations. Nobody cares about the $/Minute ratios between movies, games, concerts, truckstop BJ, etc

Minute man spotted.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For your INFORMATION I don't have any premature ejaculation issues because my dick is too small to feel anything :colbert:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
More crap for being outside.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought myself this so my iPhone camera looks a little less trash.

Now I just need some lights, a microphone, and a computer to edit with.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
edit: ^^ do iphones not have really good software stabilization now? I'm really impressed at what the latest GoPro has achieved, and my 3 year old Droid is way better than I was expecting the first time I used it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wouldn't say nobody does, since... a bunch of us do. I quite enjoyed the last long-term game I played that came out to 10 cents an hour. That being said, most games are pretty reasonable in terms of price. It's mainly those F2P mobile games that will charge you $60 for materials or other stuff that you can blow through in 5 minutes if you really want. It's a shame when people make games that are really only designed for whales to dump $7k into, but it's worth it if it's generous enough to let people have a decent game experience for free.

What I bought: Chinese knock-off clear action figure posing stuff that seem to work decently enough but next time I'll spend the extra $4 on the good ones.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

davebo posted:

edit: ^^ do iphones not have really good software stabilization now? I'm really impressed at what the latest GoPro has achieved, and my 3 year old Droid is way better than I was expecting the first time I used it.

I'm using an app called MoviePro that shoots in 24fps and it does have software stabilization, but it's a little iffy, I don't really like how it looks. I'll probably try to do a combination of the two for a smooth look.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Deets on that power inverter? I'd like something small to stick away in my trunk for emergencies.
It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07549VYJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the time it was a $14.99 and just a few bucks cheaper than the cheapest one, but I went with it as it had a lot of positive reviews. I haven't loaded it up to the max rating but it worked perfectly fine for charging a laptop while on a roadtrip or camera batteries. It's a small detail but it's great that it has two USB chargers built in, as you'd be occupying the socket and wouldn't be able to use your regular 12v usb charger. They work as promised at 2A and 1A.

I'm really happy with it, it's cheap, small and does what it's supposed to. For my purposes 150W is perfectly fine and I think unless you have a specific need, you should be ok with it too. Most car sockets are limited to like 180 to 200W anyway. My only complaint is that the cable is pretty short and not removable, though you could easily extend it if needed. Also it's 110v and I live in a 230v country, but nowadays almost everything works fine on both voltages so it's not an issue.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

You didn't pay US sales tax? Also, I dig those iron rangers! I picked up a pair last year and though they took awhile to break in, they were comfortable when they eventually did so. I'm not entirely convinced my feet didn't break into the shoe instead.

Slimy Hog posted:

Everything on your Xbox list except Sunset Overdrive is also available for PS4

Right, that's a really great point... I was just looking at the games on my wall and picking out some of my favorites from the last generation. Sunset Overdrive alone is well worth the price of admission to XB 1, imho. They absolutely nailed everything in that game, it's Mario Odessy levels of fun.

For content, bought a new suit for an interview! I feel really stupid though, apparently I bought the wrong pants and it's just a very slightly different shade of grey in the sunlight... Ah well

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love the idea of Iron Rangers but I generally only wear boots in rain/snow/cold weather and they don’t seem good for that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I love the idea of Iron Rangers but I generally only wear boots in rain/snow/cold weather and they don’t seem good for that.

I know this isn't the request thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for boots like those iron rangers that would fare well in the rain/snow/cold weather?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

You didn't pay US sales tax? Also, I dig those iron rangers! I picked up a pair last year and though they took awhile to break in, they were comfortable when they eventually did so. I'm not entirely convinced my feet didn't break into the shoe instead.
Nope, picked them up in Portland OR, no sales tax. Sadly it seems impossible to get the tax refunded otherwise like you can with VAT elsewhere.

Long version: actually ordered Beckman seconds from Sierra Trading Post but they didn't have my country in the billing address field so they didn't ship in time. The last day I just went to the store anyway and they had these (well with Vibram soles) in clearance for $150 so that was an easy decision. The Beckmans were delivered later that day...

Josh Lyman posted:

I think they'd do ok in the rain at least with the vibram soles and some treatment on the leather as long as you don't just walk in huge puddles and stuff. Still maybe not the best choice for lovely weather.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Iron rangers for 150? drat that’s a hell of a steal

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blacken them with polish. Should help with water.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

I know this isn't the request thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for boots like those iron rangers that would fare well in the rain/snow/cold weather?

Doc Martens.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Docs are made in Vietnam or some poo poo these days.

Red Wing 2233. I keep a pair on the ship and have worn them all over the world in sun and snow and rain and mud. Great boots, and made in the US.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wanted a dress boot that I could wear in rain/slush.

Ended up getting these Bostonian chukkas that are advertised as waterproof. Not as dressy as I wanted nor resolvable but meh, they were $60 on clearance so they’re perfect to get beat up by the elements.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Doc Martens.

Doc Martens are good for rain, but not snow. The type of rubber they use in the soles hardens up and can be quite slippery on snow and ice.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ReidRansom posted:

Docs are made in Vietnam or some poo poo these days.

Red Wing 2233. I keep a pair on the ship and have worn them all over the world in sun and snow and rain and mud. Great boots, and made in the US.

The made in England line of docs are pretty good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just cut to the chase and buy a pair of Timberland Pro Rigmasters. Them and the Gravel Pits have been my winter boots for a long long time. Added bonus, they'll make you an inch taller for Tinder. Added added bonus, all your coworkers will tease you about wearing work boots when all you do is walk a mile and a half in the elements a day.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just cut to the chase and buy a pair of Timberland Pro Rigmasters. Them and the Gravel Pits have been my winter boots for a long long time. Added bonus, they'll make you an inch taller for Tinder. Added added bonus, all your coworkers will tease you about wearing work boots when all you do is walk a mile and a half in the elements a day.

lol if you aren't buying boots less than your boot credit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You can earn boot credit by wearing more boots. The truly elite levels of boot credit earners can wear their boots with "fancy" blue jeans to a relative's wedding. We should all aspire to hit that much boot credit one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Maybe some might not have been on here long enough to remember the Goonboot. Dr. Martens had an online campaign where people were allowed to submit their own boot designs. Someone here made one with a unicorn and rainbows and we all voted on it so it got first place. But they shot it down saying it was proxy voting. But I think later they did release it. Don’t think it was too popular with the Oi punks in Britian.

Why not.