Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Venom Snake posted:

also just noticed one of our marksdwarves got bitten in the brain and again, seems to not be doing to bad

my head muscles are hosed but im still kicken rear end.

all these relentless attacks by forgotten beasts will only bring us closer to the true dwarven revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Venom Snake posted:

here got hosed up by a giant cave spider

At least it wasn't ROKO'S BASILISK I guess

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Space Jam posted:

how is my racist mayor dwarf doing? also we need a tavern (my office), i don�t think i�ve seen one mentioned

I've already got the putsch staging ground on lockdown, boss. I've infiltrated it and I am the barkeep. I'm currently trying to get some of our boys in as entertainers and priests on the intelligence side, but we've been prioritizing the guard. If not that, hunting or mining. Weapons.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joseance posted:

Let's all take advantage of this coward

The only cowardice, is not being brave enough to examine your implicit acceptance of a hierarchical society.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

is my dwarf dead or am i still wandering around

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joseance posted:

How different is dwarf fortress to rimworld?

It's a lot more complex/deep, as in the interactions/detail things can get into. Rimworld is the only game that kinda even comes close to DF but it still isn't really in the same league.

Socks4Hands posted:

Requesting again to see my dwarf's progress with butchering!

Space Jam, I'm impressed that we managed to get over our mutual ideological differences and create a baby. There's nothing like growing the ethnostate while also massively increasing your personal carbon footprint.

I think we could agree that fully automated nurseries are the way of the future.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

requesting a dorf doxxing again por favor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't mind seeing my dwarf too, por favor

Joseance posted:

I mean, you can't control the dwarves individually quite like you can in Rimworld and the graphics are obviously ASCII with tilesets but it's very very similar otherwise. DF has deeper systems, obviously, like there are multiple Z-levels and fluid mechanics for water and lava.

There's some stuff to learn, mostly the GUI and keystroke commands. Nothing you can't really wrap your head around if you are familiar with Rimworld.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Oct 10, 2018

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

"Tends to be a bit stubborn in changing their mind. Is quite comfortable with others that have different appearance or culture. Does not go out of their way to help others. Tends to be passive in discussions"
Dosn't give a poo poo about people dying.

I'm truly liberal.

And gently caress snails :argh:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Joseance posted:

rimworld is like halfway between prison architect and dwarf fortress

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing my dwarf too, por favor

redneck nazgul posted:

requesting a dorf doxxing again por favor

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I would like to see my dwarf.......drive a wooden spear right into the rotten heart of the vile forces of techno-mercantilism

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dwarf doxx me please.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
DOXX ME

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

pls stats me up, boss *salute*

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what happened to the vampire

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

It's a lot more complex/deep, as in the interactions/detail things can get into. Rimworld is the only game that kinda even comes close to DF but it still isn't really in the same league.

Wow boy is that a lot of reading.

Intimidator was an interesting skill, so I looked it up and found this gem on the wiki:

quote:

A dwarf's intimidation skill level is directly proportional to the length of that dwarf's beard. Beard length has long been used as a barometer of a dwarf's social status, and dwarven nobility derive their right to rule from the length and thickness of their beards. Successors to the dwarven throne are chosen at birth; the infantile sovereign is identified by having a beard longer than its own body. This quality also exempts nobles from working, as catching a beard in a an active gear assembly can snap the neck of the strongest dwarf. Among the upper class, beard decorations have become increasingly fashionable. Intricate braids, complex plaiting patterns, decorative knots, and even subtle perfumes are considered the height of dwarven chic. Weaving multi-colored silk ribbons into beards is common among the middle class, while peasants tend to stick with more utilitarian looks that can be quickly prepared, easily cleaned, and tucked into a belt.

Upon reaching legendary status, a dwarf's beard is granted the right to extend beneath that dwarf's knees; non-legendary dwarves attempting to short-circuit normal social rules of advancement are punished with shearing, imprisonment, and even the ministrations of a Hammerer in the most serious of cases.

Dwarves that act as brokers often cultivate facial hair that completely covers their heads, leaving only a nose and the suggestion of two beady dwarven eyes within a labyrinthine mass of hair. This is sometimes called an "eyebrow beard" by humans, as the beard appears to start above the eyes. It has a definite effect on human traders, and elves are particularly frightened by it, being a species completely devoid of facial hair. The beard has the effect of forcing a negotiator to focus solely on the dwarf's eyes, as no facial cues can be divined from within the beard. This unnerves the negotiator so thoroughly that practically any deal the dwarf names will be agreed upon. There are stories of dwarves convincing elven traders to swear off cannibalism, although these are generally considered to be hairy tales.

A broker's intimidation skill, therefore, is extremely important, and mastering said skill should be encouraged, even to the detriment of other skills. An intimidating dwarf garners respect from his peers, gets better deals at the trading table, and has a better chance of attracting the kind of mate a Fish Dissector can only dream about.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Just checked again and yeah your spear is named "Baktuscubor, The Shattered Worker"

You are all welcome for me killing off two forgotten beasts.

That spear is definitely going into the Museum of Resistance if my Dwarf is ever martyred.

The militia is definitely split on whether that spear's name is meant to avenge the worker or celebrate their shattering.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle posted:

what happened to the vampire

Keeps dodging the ballista bolts

Bert Roberge posted:

Dwarf doxx me please.

Uranium posted:

pls stats me up, boss *salute*

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Well they've got my personality down to a T.

What's with the placeholder [book] and [topic] entries?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

laughing hard at how fitting the personality traits and activity logs are getting

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

Keeps dodging the ballista bolts

:colbert: the straw poll says trial by combat

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle posted:

:colbert: the straw poll says trial by combat

Well the arena DID just get finished, i'm quite happy with the result. Haven't added the seats though

but uhhh we got bigger problems right now....

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
put me in there, i will fight the vampire

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
okay that was the most pathetic siege ever this was the entire force:

all they did was kill the animals grazing out side then get instantly mowed down by our ranged defenses.

this was probably the most exciting thing to happen:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
u forgot 2 put me in the game

:11tea:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wynona Dryder posted:

u forgot 2 put me in the game

:11tea:

i think you got added recently, theres a farmer with yer name

Oh poo poo I didn't notice in all the other combat but our Ballista team got him (the vampire) right in the head

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Oct 11, 2018

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The elves came to trade but only brought a giant wolf and giant mosquito this time, lame. I offered them a ton of high quality stuff so hopefully next year they bring us more cool stuff

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

okay that was the most pathetic siege ever this was the entire force:

all they did was kill the animals grazing out side then get instantly mowed down by our ranged defenses.

this was probably the most exciting thing to happen:

DID I LOSE A TESTICLE

WAS IT A TESTICLE

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hahahaha gently caress look around and see if there's teeth and poo poo embedded in the walls around where the vampire's head was

how many tiles away did the bloodstains go

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

The elves came to trade but only brought a giant wolf and giant mosquito this time, lame. I offered them a ton of high quality stuff so hopefully next year they bring us more cool stuff

so what does my dwarf do as mayor? just hang out? this fort needs more alcohol. can cats still drink beer or was that a glitch?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Space Jam posted:

so what does my dwarf do as mayor? just hang out? this fort needs more alcohol. can cats still drink beer or was that a glitch?

I remember in Rimworld the dogs could get addicted to cocaine and go crazy.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
If you need more dwarf sign me up as a sycophant.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Pidgin Englishman posted:

If you need more dwarf sign me up as a sycophant.

wanna be in my cabinet?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Space Jam posted:

wanna be in my cabinet?

ignore your high master butcher eco-accelerationist spouse at your own peril

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

If there is already a dwarf masquerading as a man masquerading as an actor, please let me know how violent and depraved he is.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

was about to say we forced another guy to be mayor but you just won, again, so congratulations Obersturmfurher Space Jam!

I blink from this thread and I've been elected and tossed out as mayor?

Was I caught in my office with an elf?

eonwe posted:

so, a libertarian

Ron Jeremy posted:

dwarf me. my dwarf is an ebebephile libertarian

but I repeat myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Jam posted:

He listens to peoples complaints, speaks with diplomats, etc. And no I think they fixed that. Cats WILL however lick off whatever they get covered in so theoretically if i doused a cat in beer it would lick that off and get drunk.

Martin Random posted:

DID I LOSE A TESTICLE

WAS IT A TESTICLE

You lost nothing as far as I can tell, but you won't stop vomiting

• Locked thread