Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

does obsidian even own any valuable IP? i thought they licensed everything

Dude! They made Dungeon Siege 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best adventure game was the first Discworld, maybe tied with Chronomaster and Larry 7

Adventure games suck when they're too easy and obvious and the most fun parts is where you're stuck for a long time until you finally get the solution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

microsoft is buying obsidian lol

theyll make 1 more game, it'll be a clumsy xbone exclusive that won't sell, and they'll shutter the studio after

gently caress this gay earth

Seems doubtful. Microsofts strategy appears to be buy midsize developers to churn out niche games for gamepass rather than get dissapointed about Obsidian getting shuttered preemptively get dissapointed that Obsidian is possibly about to make several games but somehow only the trashiest one gets renewed for a sequel.

Rutibex posted:

does obsidian even own any valuable IP? i thought they licensed everything

Pillars of Eternity, possibly Tyranny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

I don't want my choices to matter except in the sense that if I make the wrong choice, I lose the game. Branching storylines suck rear end.

Tales from the Borderlands had some fun deaths.

And sounds more like Obsidian gets to be hollowed out while most of its key devs scatter to the winds or start their own new studio.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
If Pillars of Eternity 2's dialog was any indication Obsidian are done making well written stories anyway.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the only guy who quit is Avellone and he's kind of an unstable manchild who is still basically writing like it's 1996

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

basic hitler posted:

the only guy who quit is Avellone and he's kind of an unstable manchild who is still basically writing like it's 1996

Planescape Torment is basically Doctor Who with amnesia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The prose in PoE2 was alright except for that insufferable gimmick when they replace a hortastoll* with a hortastoll* in their fake language and pretend it's an amazing example of world building rather than the writer huffing his own farts.

Another game that did that and was even worse about it was the new Torment spinoff.

*Hortastoll means "word" among the Droomkalang speaking peoples of Balabang who consider hortastoll to have a special significance among them. The common greeting of the Balabang is "good hortastoll to your eqwinini", a phrase considered by most to be impossible to translate

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 10, 2018

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

steinrokkan posted:

The prose in PoE2 was alright except for that insufferable gimmick when they replace a hortastoll* with a hortastoll* in their fake language and pretend it's an amazing example of world building rather than the writer huffing his own farts.

Another game that did that and was even worse about it was the new Torment spinoff.

*Hortastoll means "word" among the Droomkalang speaking peoples of Balabang who consider hortastoll to have a special significance among them. The common greeting of the Balabang is "good hortastoll to your eqwinini", a phrase considered by most to be impossible to translate

There's a ton of it. It wouldn't be so bad if there were NPCs that spoke that language exclusively (I can't recall any) and you needed a translator or a skill to understand them. Instead it's just some lead writer deciding to shoe horn in a some lovely modified Portuguese. I haven't finished the game yet because it's kinda dull, and my latest save is glitched so I'm stuck in a single room.

Tyranny is vastly superior to either PoE game, but man the ending is disappointing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel a lot of developers, much like many artists, do best under a certain degree of arbitrary limitations, so that they have to be creative to surpass them and/or are limited from their dumbest ideas.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
All I know is the dialog choices in Pillars 1 felt like they had weight and gravitas to them. A lot of Pillars 2's dialog felt like it was a phoned in version of dragon age's. A good bit of it didn't fit the tone of the game very well at all.

Avellone may have shamefully ragequit but he was drat good at what he did.

Also yes tyranny was great.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 10, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tribes and Tribes 2 classic were both amazing games and better than Q3A, UT99, and Half Life

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

QuarkJets posted:

it was really bad but everyone flipped their poo poo because there had been such a long drought for adventure games that basically anything that even looked a little like one was getting high praise

And then they discovered why adventure games don’t work and tt went out of business

It makes me wonder if they ever thought of making their adventure games vr games, cause you’d think adventure games would work a lot better in vr

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Breath of Fire 2 wasn't that fun to play but I thought the whole plot of the evil church was pretty cool and the final boss was pretty sick with those 6 dicks he had

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

And then they discovered why adventure games don�t work and tt went out of business

It makes me wonder if they ever thought of making their adventure games vr games, cause you�d think adventure games would work a lot better in vr

Adventure games just evolved into visual novels

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

signalnoise posted:

Adventure games just devolved into visual novels

Ftfy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

pillars of eternity is good and i feel like a lot of criticism is coming from people who remember BG2 being better than it really is and being disappointed that a new game didn't live up to expectations set up by nostalgia, and people who have no business playing rpgs in the first place.

Someone handed out a copy of the first game in the thread the day it launched and I got it, and i liked it a lot, enough that i purchased the dlc, and pre-purchased pillars 2.

I don't like the language gimmick in pillars 2, those dumb little phrases like ekera and stuff don't add anything good to the dialogue.

the ship stuff isn't very good or fun either.

but otherwise, the gameplay is much improved over pillars 1 and is more fun/satisfying and its the only rpg i've ever played that has done multiclassing well. they removed a lot of annoying poo poo, but i am not a very big fan of the wound system. otherwise it's basically straight improvements though.

I'm not really a huge fan of the themes of the game either though. i feel like obsidian has nothing interesting to say about colonialism or whatever, or they lacked the conviction to make it interesting. There are lots of smaller quests and stuff with really good stories though.

maybe those kinds of games aren't for you but seriously, poe 1 and 2 are really good, and tyranny would have been amazing but it's too short and there's like 5 enemy types

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I honestly don't get how you can enjoy those top down wrpg games, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate, all that poo poo looks so boring to me, it's like when I watch people play Magic Cards.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Shibawanko posted:

I honestly don't get how you can enjoy those top down wrpg games, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate, all that poo poo looks so boring to me, it's like when I watch people play Magic Cards.

They have excellent writing and are also 20 plus years old

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

pillars of eternity is good and i feel like a lot of criticism is coming from people who remember BG2 being better than it really is and being disappointed that a new game didn't live up to expectations set up by nostalgia, and people who have no business playing rpgs in the first place.

Someone handed out a copy of the first game in the thread the day it launched and I got it, and i liked it a lot, enough that i purchased the dlc, and pre-purchased pillars 2.

I don't like the language gimmick in pillars 2, those dumb little phrases like ekera and stuff don't add anything good to the dialogue.

but otherwise, the gameplay is much improved over pillars 1 and is more fun/satisfying and its the only rpg i've ever played that has done multiclassing well. they removed a lot of annoying poo poo, but i am not a very big fan of the wound system. otherwise it's basically straight improvements though.

I'm not really a huge fan of the themes of the game either though. i feel like obsidian has nothing interesting to say about colonialism or whatever, or they lacked the conviction to make it interesting. There are lots of smaller quests and stuff with really good stories though.

maybe those kinds of games aren't for you but seriously, poe 1 and 2 are really good, and tyranny would have been amazing but it's too short and there's like 5 enemy types

I'd quite like an option to turn off "gameplay" and just play through the story. Real time combat with pause was a baffling and awful design choice in Baldur's Gate, and it still is in Pillars. So yeah, hate the core systems, great game, 8/10.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

basic hitler posted:

I thought it was alright for an additional layer of exploration, shallow as it was. I didn't dread having to sail from place to place. You can go check things out at your leisure. The ship combat was pretty rough though. It almost always made more sense to just ram full speed and board the enemy right away as opposed to shoot it out.

It would be cool to have a game like this about sailing and exploring, obviously just way more robust and interesting. More types of ships and equipment, crew customization, stuff like that. I liked coming up with names for island too. Maybe that game already exists, I dunno.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I love how Pillars re-worked stats to be appealing to every class. You can be a really buff wizard who does a ton of damage, or a really intelligent fighter and still be viable. These probably aren't "optimal" for the classes, but they're still usable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

They have excellent writing and are also 20 plus years old

as a "game" planescape: torment is a loving clunky mess and should probably just be a text adventure if it's gonna make me read all that poo poo

would love to see that setting explored within a well-designed game tbh, because the story is good but I would never suggest anyone suffer through that poo poo just to read it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I mean I like loads of old games but not the kind where you have to click on a sword in a bottom interface bar so your cursor changes into a sword, and then click on an enemy on the screen to attack it, or any game designed in that spirit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good soup! posted:

as a "game" planescape: torment is a loving clunky mess and should probably just be a text adventure if it's gonna make me read all that poo poo

would love to see that setting explored within a well-designed game tbh, because the story is good but I would never suggest anyone suffer through that poo poo just to read it

I swore there is a mod that just gives you mac stats and instagibs any combat encounter you engage in for just that reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Adventure games just evolved into visual novels

Planescape Torment is a visual novel

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Adventure" games is the most misleading genre name in video game history.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

"Adventure" games is the most misleading genre name in video game history.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get good scrub and play it on regular difficulty, none of this baby-mode easy.

Also, that game cost $97 dollars in todays money.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Also, that game cost $97 dollars in todays money.

The sad part is that I got more excitement and enjoyment from this game back in the day than most games I've purchased in the last last five years.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 14, 2018

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you're gonna love this one

i prefer the new runescape over the old runescape, i don't mind people that like runescape i thought it was terrible and instead invested my first mmo experience in ragnarok online which was glory itself (then moved to ffxi which proved to be even better) i played the new runescape a bit and liked it but then forgot my pass and just said gently caress it

my bro has the pc i'm stuck on a laptop so

i played ffxiv when it first came out, then they remade it, i played that too, very little on both offem, i tried playing it on the ps3 but i'm just used to the computer for that sort of thing

i was once a gamer, when gaming was good, the good old times, i promised myself i would never abandon video games and i abandoned that promise, but the games abandoned me too, the good times will come back, i'm already ready to return and have been adjusting recently

thanks for reading

Dr. Heart Collapse fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 14, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dwarf Fortress isn't particularly difficult to learn any more than Simcity is and it's just the visual style that makes people think that. The menu layouts are actually very sensible and designed for quick key combos and in the end it's quicker to build things in DF than it is in most Simcity games.

Bonus UVO: agents in Simcity games suck, and not being able to see individual commuters like in Simcity 4 is actually better, since it adds a layer of opacity to how your city actually works that I find enjoyable, since you sometimes get unexpected results from how you build. Real city planners are not able to see each individual car moving around either so why should you be able to do that in the game. Agent systems also have the problem that they only tend to simulate commutes and other need-fulfilling behaviors, while real traffic is a bit more random than that and people sometimes just drive around for fun or meeting people or whatever. Agents also have a harder time simulating bicycles and foot traffic since it's more analog and freeform than cars, at least SC4 made an attempt at abstracted foot and bike traffic so you could build European ped malls.

Cities Skylines is a mediocre city builder that's only fun if you create poop volcanoes and stuff.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 14, 2018

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shibawanko posted:

Cities Skylines is a mediocre city builder that's only fun if you create poop volcanoes and stuff.

Cities Skylines is a traffic simulator rather than a city builder and that's what makes it great, that's my (un)popular opinion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they used to have games where you could do races or fly a helicopter in your Simcity city. they should do a modern version of that, except you play Grand Theft Auto in your Simcity city

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

Cities Skylines is a traffic simulator rather than a city builder and that's what makes it great, that's my (un)popular opinion

Yeah that's exactly why I don't like it, the worst part is that you can only build next to roads, which is not the way most cities in the world work, and all the cities end up looking samey with kinda curving giant rear end roads and bland buildings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah that's exactly why I don't like it, the worst part is that you can only build next to roads, which is not the way most cities in the world work, and all the cities end up looking samey with kinda curving giant rear end roads and bland buildings.

A lot of city sims have issues in that you basically require optimisation over a certain size and it's hard to make cities actually look like real ones.

Skylines does at least try to mix things up with mod packs and neighbourhood styles, but with questionable success.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Dark souls 1 had the worst boss fights in the series

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Small brain:

Space brain:

Galaxy brain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU