Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're literally not paying any more money for it, so I feel it's fair enough. The NES games have enough problems with ageing extremely badly.
Adding difficulty options and cheat modes is fine, but the Sega 3D Classics handled this better by adding menu options to the emulator and better integrating the cheat modes into the game. (ex. Streets of Rage has a "Fists of Rage" cheat mode option in the interface. When it was enabled, enemies died upon getting knocked down, no matter their health)

I guess Sega really does what Nintendon't. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It is 100% confirmed that Zelda 1 SP is just a save-state version and there's absolutely nothing different or special about it, right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

It is 100% confirmed that Zelda 1 SP is just a save-state version and there's absolutely nothing different or special about it, right?

Someone earlier said you start with the master sword which is obviously not in that game, but if you start with the magical sword it can't be a save state since you need 12 hearts to get it. If it's the White Sword, which is more likely, then yes it might be a save state.

Even then I think it would require you to have opened doors in dungeons and have the ladder or raft which weren't mentioned

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Bloop posted:

Someone earlier said you start with the master sword which is obviously not in that game, but if you start with the magical sword it can't be a save state since you need 12 hearts to get it. If it's the White Sword, which is more likely, then yes it might be a save state.

Even then I think it would require you to have opened doors in dungeons and have the ladder or raft which weren't mentioned

You start with all the gear according to an article I just read. Health rings and magic sword.

Sounds boring to me. Zelda without getting items :confuoot: Just use save states.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can easily get the white sword without going into a dungeon. There's enough hearts lying around.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's the White Sword, and the game literally starts in the middle of the main song being played. It's kinda awkward.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ yeah that makes more sense

Bombadilillo posted:

You start with all the gear according to an article I just read. Health rings and magic sword.

Sounds boring to me. Zelda without getting items :confuoot: Just use save states.

It certainly doesn't start with the red ring if its a save state

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I am really bad at OG zelda, and never got further than I think dungeon 6 when I played it for the first time on the gamecube compilation disc ~15 years ago

I appreciate the SP version

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

sound like game genie. i think they used game genie.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Griping about a save state hahahahahaha seriously?? Gamers. So spoiled.

Makes since though since the original game is brutal enough when it's new.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, they should just release Crystalis.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SelenicMartian posted:

It's mostly about the lazy ports, everyone ignoring about the touch screen, and the heaving rise of the titty.

*checks the Nintendo's thirty year release library* 

Yup, no history of lazy ports or titties until the Switch. Claims check out. 

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Feenix posted:

I love my Switch forever but I�m definitely tired of multi platform games underperforming on Switch. The latest being 2012�s Mark of the Ninja being 60fps on ALL consoles except Switch. (30 handheld and choppy docked)

For that reason, I think if I intend to ever get Star Link it will be on PS4 or something...

Yea but... Starfox. I only watched a brief gameplay video but the Starfox content didn't look insignificant. I agree though, anything multiplatform I'm most likely buying on PS4 or PC.

I'm getting confused with the controller shenningans with this game. Need to confirm I can just use the pro controller, not playing games with baby joy cons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starfox is a series with like 1 good game that came out over 20 years ago, I don't get why people care

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am surprised there isn't more noise about Ultimate Chicken Horse having problems. I've barely gotten an online game going without it crashing to Home. The devs have a whole page going WE KNOW WORKING SUPER HARD though, so just gotta wait.

Also good to know:
If you'd like to unlock all content in the game, there is a cheat available: press X X Y Y X X R while in the treehouse to unlock everything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

give me all the ports

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starlink has something like a 40 hour campaign. If the extra star fox content is even one tenth of that, then it will be twice as long a Star Fox game as any of the others (Command aside)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Tender Bender posted:

Starfox is a series with like 1 good game that came out over 20 years ago, I don't get why people care

Starfox (much like Sonic) has a single game that is enjoyable for maybe an hour tops.

It was never good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Neon Red Joycon pairs are $65 on Amazon right now, if you like red/want another set.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Starlink has something like a 40 hour campaign. If the extra star fox content is even one tenth of that, then it will be twice as long a Star Fox game as any of the others (Command aside)

it's like 2 hours i think

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

overdesigned posted:

Neon Red Joycon pairs are $65 on Amazon right now, if you like red/want another set.

Is this a good price? I've complained about drift for a while but haven't replaced yet. Any chance it'll fall around christmas/black friday/cyber whatever?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Starfox (much like Sonic) has a single game that is enjoyable for maybe an hour tops.

It was never good.

Starfox SNES and Starfox 64 are both very good games that I easily have spent hundreds of hours on going for high scores and just generally enjoying their replayability.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Star Fox Zero (and Guard) are good games that don’t deserve most of the negativity that’s thrown at them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Star Fox Zero (and Guard) are good games that don’t deserve most of the negativity that’s thrown at them.

Zero just falters from forced vehicle changes, missions feeling slow, a lack of interesting boss fights, too much all range mode and not enough corridor flight levels.

I get mad at people who complain about the motion controls because in my opinion they are the only redeeming thing about that game. Especially people who say "you have to look back and forth between the screen all the time" because you absolutely do not have to do that at all

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Oscar Wild posted:

Is this a good price? I've complained about drift for a while but haven't replaced yet. Any chance it'll fall around christmas/black friday/cyber whatever?

It's $15 off the usual list price, enough to make me hop on it. One of my left joycon is drifting pretty badly (and out of warranty) so I figured screw it I'll just get a new pair, have an extra lying around for some random party game that supports 5 players that I don't own yet. (killer queen black maybe?)

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 10, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know what Solomon's Key is but I really like it. It's fun and seems to grant you way more abilities than you'd think with only two buttons. They still really need to tell you controls, yes you figure it out fast enough by fumbling around but it'd be nice to not have to do that.
The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

While I brought up Solomon's Key as it was the last game I tried, it really is a blanket statement for NES Online in general. Hockey remained confusing for a while, and having not played enough Tecmo Bowl I'm still not sure what's going on all the time. But that's fine.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Starfox remains popular because of furries, right?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I wish I could say Star fox zero was great, I like the game, but it's the one motion control game that made my fiancee have a melt down. She still references it. It's just asking way too much to be enjoyable in the early stages, the constant need to look down until you know the levels is not for everyone. In that way, it's a failure as a star fox game, when both the og and 64 are immediately accessible, but still hard to master.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've never been big on space games, but I finally checked out a recent summary video on Starlink and it looks like a drat blast. I'm sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolvw8hUp24

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK DOWN! YOU CAN SEE WHERE YOUR LASER FIRE IS GOING ON THE MAIN SCREEN!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inferior Third Season posted:

The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves

This is super not true

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's interesting to me that the spaceship is always fighting at ground level rather than doing strafing runs from above

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's interesting to me that the spaceship is always fighting at ground level rather than doing strafing runs from above

It's always interesting to me that every person can be shot 6-7 times before falling, unless it's in their head (video games aren't realistic and you need a certain suspension of disbelief to engage with them).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not just that they just seem to be floating there. The exploration seems cool, the conceit seems great, but the combat itself doesn't seem exhilarating. I'd love a demo for this game actually, just to get a feel for it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, I know. The ground-level stuff looks more fun than strafing. I think the last flight simulators I played were the old Star Wars X-Wing games for PC (or I guess Battlefield if you want to count that), and they were all built around strafing, so I'm out of the loop but still surprised to see that the basic gameplay has changed like this.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, they should just release Crystalis.

Man, that game was good. The end, where you're flying around over lava and there's pyramids everywhere.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tender Bender posted:

They want to sex one of the characters op.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

They want to sex one of the characters op.

which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Starlink honestly looks like the logical next step for a hypothetical Star Fox, and a better one than the awful WiiU hybrid / weirdo touchscreen Command games. The type of game Star Fox isn't doesn't usually lend itself to huge advancements in its genre so why not mash it up with exploration stuff.