Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i am 99% sure brian herbert hates his dad, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wrote an unauthorized prequel novel that reveals Jay Gatsby never actually fought in World War I and instead received a letter of marque from the French and used it to raid Ottoman shipping, having many adventures both heroic and romantic. Follow me on Twitter @greatgatsbyauthor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Communist Walrus posted:

I wrote an unauthorized prequel novel that reveals Jay Gatsby never actually fought in World War I and instead received a letter of marque from the French and used it to raid Ottoman shipping, having many adventures both heroic and romantic. Follow me on Twitter @greatgatsbyauthor

From what I gather that wouldn't really detract from much.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

@duneauthor wishes he had the balls to go on camera and admit that he is raping his dad like that weird dude from Mexico did.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

@duneauthor wishes he had the balls to go on camera and admit that he is raping his dad like that weird dude from Mexico did.

I'm sure I've posted this before but, well, it's from 2003 and as someone who was reading Dune, the Herbert/Anderson Dune books, and Penny Arcade at that time, it seemed pretty correct:

(Having read my share of Tycho's purple prose bullshit blog posts in my time, though, he doesn't have a lot of room to bitch about bad writing)

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

When a nerd from a webcomic gives the correct diagnosis to your award winning writing...

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 10, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm sure I've posted this before but, well, it's from 2003 and as someone who was reading Dune, the Herbert/Anderson Dune books, and Penny Arcade at that time, it seemed pretty correct:

(Having read my share of Tycho's purple prose bullshit blog posts in my time, though, he doesn't have a lot of room to bitch about bad writing)

Maybe it just takes one to know one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
D-wolves = Dick Wolves?

Whoa

(P-A deep cut ITT)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

priznat posted:

D-wolves = Dick Wolves?

Whoa

(P-A deep cut ITT)

They are D-Dogs at the very least.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
lol

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1050124499520290816

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1050124953897582600

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We should all just start calling ourselves @duneauthor. It makes sense. We have just as good - if not better - a grasp of the source material than that cheating sperm that calls itself Brian Herbert. Let us denounce them and all their works and write our own canon. Based loosely on the Encyclopedia and the original stories (dune and non-dune) by Frank Herbert @realLETOIIPBUH.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A good idea.

- Beanpole Peckerwood, DuneAuthor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s me, I’m the @duneauthor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

phasmid posted:

We should all just start calling ourselves @duneauthor. It makes sense. We have just as good - if not better - a grasp of the source material than that cheating sperm that calls itself Brian Herbert. Let us denounce them and all their works and write our own canon. Based loosely on the Encyclopedia and the original stories (dune and non-dune) by Frank Herbert @realLETOIIPBUH.
The scattering, as foretold!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Lord CYBERTREX 8000s name is a killing word. But so are his laser eyes so the point is moot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pauul: "I've had too much Ultra-Spice!"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

@DuneAuthor posted:

Concurrently, the no-ship, the Ithaca, was captured by the Machines and brought to Synchrony, as well. The Machine leaders believed that the end of the age, or Kralizec, was upon the galaxies. To strongly influence this universal change in their favor, they wanted to capture the Ultimate Kwisatz Haderach, whom Erasmus' complex "mathematical projections", showed to be on the Ithaca. As a back-up plan, they had secretly, 13 years earlier, created a clone of the first super-being, Paul Atreides, whom they named Paolo. They had him brought up and trained by Vladimir Harkonnen for a cruel personality, and Erasmus trained him in fighting skills.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

@DuneAuthor posted:

As the teenage ghola of Paul Atreides was captured on the Ithaca, and brought to the capital of Synchrony, the Cathedral; so too, was Paolo brought to the heart of the Machine World-city. Omnius announced that Paul and Paolo would fight to the death, and the winner would be given the cache of ultraspice. Paolo near-fatally wounded Paul, and was declared the winner of the duel. Paolo quickly imbibed a huge portion of the super-potent melange, and found his prescience increased to super-human levels. Paolo quickly found that the ultraspice caused his prescience to go into a type of overdose, and he fell into an irreversible trance-like coma, and ended up starving and thirsting to death.

It is not know if ultraspice was ever used again.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

@DuneAuthor posted:

Seaworms were genetically altered sandworms produced by the ghola of the Tleilaxu Master Tylwyth Waff while aboard a Guild heighliner, which was also being used as a research ship. Waff successfully stopped the altered sandworm from turning into a water-imploding creature, and instead turned the creature into one which naturally lived in deep oceans.

To test the success of the seaworms, Waff had a group of seaworms delivered to the ocean world of Buzzell. Not only did the seaworms survive in the seas of the planet, but they thrived and quickly dominated the eco-system; displacing and eating the native cholisters, and the half-fish/half-men Phibians.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The pain! It burns!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The pain! It burns!

You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Nothing screams Dune like a loving ocean planet.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

They literally did that awful star wars EU poltline about Luuke Skywalker vs. Luke Skywalker, but set it in Dune.

They named him PAOLO

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
can't wait for them to follow in the footsteps of the Star Wars EU and write a separate novel about each one of the pugs shown being led by Leto I in the Lynch movie during the move to Arrakis

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Brian Herbert's next project is a novel about how prescience is actually caused my microscopic organisms in your blood

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

basic hitler posted:

both of your lists have their merits, i could agree with either of them if i was in a good mood.

Y'all left out this masterpiece:

Sure its humour is dated as expected (and as a non-American, slightly incomprehensible without the aid of Wikipedia) but it's still one of my favorite books.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
KJA: what if Leto I's racist caricature sidekick stops the invasion by dropping his weirding module and accidentally firing it at the lead bad guy, who's an evil Bene Gesserit for some reason?

BH: Maybe he can look directly at the camera and say "meesa name a bombad killin' word"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm the legendary Super Fremen

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this is what is known as a kwisatz haderach 2 and this... is... to go... even further... BEYOND *screams and buries himself in sandtrout*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

No.

NO!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Brian Herbert is the enemy, yes. But behind him I sense Kevin J Anderson.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cheap Trick posted:

Sure its humour is dated as expected (and as a non-American, slightly incomprehensible without the aid of Wikipedia) but it's still one of my favorite books.

Doon is amazing and hilarious.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm the legendary Super Fremen

Abe Fremen, the stillsuit king of Arrakis?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cheap Trick posted:

Tell me of the recipes of your homeworld.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Look I've said some pretty hurtful things about you in the past and I just wanted you to know I really, really meant them

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Pretty funny of a guy who wrote a series of books about superhumans recalling all of the memories of their ancestors having a son that fails to comprehend any of it so completely

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

quote:

LORD CYBERTREX-9000 gestured towards the ultraspice hoard.
"As agreed, Paolo, the ultraspice is yours."
Paolo lunged at the heap of refined melange, imbibing it by the fistful. Soon his body began to tremble, and he turned towards his machine master.
"My lord, I'm so high right now."
A grinding, mechanical chortle issued forth from LORD CYBERTREX-9000's sound port.
"Fool!" said the robot, "It is only oregano!"

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35PWRL0GquM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat straight