Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

This guy apparently has 1,497 open credit cards.

Who does this. Why would you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Power of Pecota posted:

1,498 if you count the v-card

Pretty sure that card was closed due to an excessive period since issue without use.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

From: What Industry is shadier than most people realize on r/askreddit

Grantavius_II posted:

Selling horses.

My Uncle's girlfriend is really into Dressage and went to Europe to look at a horse. She rode it and was extremely satisfied and understandably made the purchase. Fast forward a couple months and she's finding out this horse had a critical hip injury that was masked by steroids or something.

She can still ride the horse on trails but beyond that.. RIP 600k.
(emphasis is mine)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

(emphasis is mine)

Good

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Midjack posted:

Who does this. Why would you do this.

There's a Society :psypop:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

BMan posted:

Is that really a thing people think? :psyduck:
Where do these ideas even come from?

A lot of people think a credit score is a measure of how much money the “banksters” can make off of you, so if you don’t carry a balance they’re not making money and your credit score doesn’t go up.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

(emphasis is mine)
WHAT THE gently caress. Why would you buy a horse for riding worth 600k. Further down in the comments:

quote:

Something similar happened to my cousin. The horse was much cheaper but he was still fairly pricey and was bought as a show horse. She rode him twice and he was very calm and gentle. First ride on him at home? He went crazy. Turns out he had an old injury that caused him a lot of pain and that he was on tranquillisers when she first rode him. She spent a lot of money on him in vet bills and on different types of therapy but he was put down three months later as hquoteis injury just worsened and he was a danger to himself and others.
My cousin was actually pretty upset and did some investigations into the dealer. Turns out, it was the same story for people up and down the country. This guy would buy cheap horses, create fake breed entries and passports and seek them on as dressage, show jumping or hunting prospects. My cousin actually wound up on a show called “watchdog” on their “rogue traders” segment. They confronted the guy head on and it was pretty cool. It’s a well known show in the U.K. and I’m pretty sure the guy was taken to court and charged in the end as a result of her little project.

Horses are GWM if youre a crook. Amazing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vox Nihili posted:

This guy apparently has 1,497 open credit cards.

How are there even that many cards?

This guy is probably the most GWM though, if he can charge the max on all of those cards to get cash then skip the country.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ryde posted:

A lot of people think a credit score is a measure of how much money the �banksters� can make off of you, so if you don�t carry a balance they�re not making money and your credit score doesn�t go up.
Part of me wants to think that people wouldn't actually be this stupid, but then again, I've read every post in this thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Wolfy posted:

I've read every post in this thread.

Condolences!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. Why would you buy a horse for riding worth 600k. Further down in the comments:

I get mad when people scam elderly folks out of money or just plain dislike thieves in general, but these horse grifters are just making me laugh ripping off rich people.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Suspicious Lump posted:

I've heard of people doing this with cars and RVs and poo poo, but horses... amazing

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think the point of the first one was that it would be a dressage competition horse, but since it's injured, it can't do competition, just regular riding. Still BWM, I can't imagine there's a lot of money to be made in dressage, but it's rich people poo poo so maybe they don't care.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Suspicious Lump posted:

Because they have tens of millions of dollars banked and nothing to spend it on?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Because the Von Joneses just bought one and we can’t let that awful child of theirs have something ours doesn’t.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This one is pretty basic, but it's "Help I bought a car without understanding the payments or understanding what the car was and I also am unaware you get money for a car when you sell it"

[US] Signed a 5 year car loan and having buyer's remorse. What should I do?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9mxm86/us_signed_a_5_year_car_loan_and_having_buyers/

quote:

So my old 02 Jetta Wagon was having transmission issues, I got that car when I was working a fast food job years ago.

I've gotten older, moved up and started a sales career. Figured I'd get a car. I was shopping and everywhere was offering me high down payments coupled with high monthly payments ($1200+ down and $450+ month).

I finally got quoted for a 5 year loan for just $750 down and $350 a month. Great deal but it was 5 years.

I don't even yet have a five year game plan. My job pays decently but it's still entry level so idk if it's any job that will last me long term. I've been there for almost 2 years, though.

I didn't realize until after I signed the contract that the car had no cruise control or heated sears or even Bluetooth. I assumed that it was a 2014 and would have those basic features.

I've been reading that if I turn it in, I'd have to pay back that whole loan. And there's no way out of it. I want to build my credit score. But if I let this car go back, I'd be $16,000 in debt.

If poo poo hits the fan and I have to turn my car back in, is there anyway I can soften the blow on my credit score? Or will I have to become a homeless heroin addict?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Lockback posted:

This one is pretty basic, but it's "Help I bought a car without understanding the payments or understanding what the car was and I also am unaware you get money for a car when you sell it"

[US] Signed a 5 year car loan and having buyer's remorse. What should I do?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9mxm86/us_signed_a_5_year_car_loan_and_having_buyers/

I am the guy in the comments telling him to sell the car and roll the balance into a new loan lmbo. Or maybe deal with your car without heated seats it isn't the end of the world lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Or just have heated seats installed.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I can't believe he doesn't grasp that if he returns or sells the car he will get some amount of money in exchange

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Couple points, 1. Making a decision to buy a used car without understanding the deal or the car is extremely dumb... he probably understands he can sell the car back, but at a much lower price than what he bought it for, and that's probably discouraging him. I've felt the burn when I had buyer's remorse before (I made the decision while understanding the ins and outs). 2. Heated seat thingies are like $50 on Amazon. 12V and you lay it on top of the regular seat.

Good post!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The loan total is 21k, so I'm guessing they told him they'd be happy to take it for 5k.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Volmarias posted:

The loan total is 21k, so I'm guessing they told him they'd be happy to take it for 5k.

I really want to know what car he decided to sign a 21k loan for.

My guess is 2014 Altima, 100k miles, previous rental

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Lockback posted:

Or just have heated seats installed.

True, same with the bluetooth. But even if they weren't easily solvable, this is a situation where you take your licks and use it as a learning lesson

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CannonFodder posted:

I really want to know what car he decided to sign a 21k loan for.

My guess is 2014 Altima, 100k miles, previous rental

Maybe a previous smart lease?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Couple points, 1. Making a decision to buy a used car without understanding the deal or the car is extremely dumb... he probably understands he can sell the car back, but at a much lower price than what he bought it for, and that's probably discouraging him. I've felt the burn when I had buyer's remorse before (I made the decision while understanding the ins and outs). 2. Heated seat thingies are like $50 on Amazon. 12V and you lay it on top of the regular seat.

Good post!

Oh no, your faith in this fellow is much too high

quote:

How would you be 16k dollars in debt? I assume you'd get most if not all the money you loaned back if you did that...

quote:

[S] -2 points 8 hours ago
Because my loan, with interest, is $16k. Meaning if I turn the car back in, I'd be responsible for the whole thing right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Raldikuk posted:

I am the guy in the comments telling him to sell the car and roll the balance into a new loan lmbo. Or maybe deal with your car without heated seats it isn't the end of the world lol

That reminds me of how every single PF thread on reddit that is about losing all your money from bitcoin has at least one guy telling him that the way out is to buy more bitcoin. It can only go up now!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm still perplexed how the guy managed to buy a car that didn't have some critical (to him) features and he didn't figure this out until after buying the car. The heated seats thing would be obvious too. I'm sure the dealership would love to take the car back for free though.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
How do you even find a car from 2014 without bluetooth? I'm 90% sure that even the base model Yaris had that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

How do you even find a car from 2014 without bluetooth? I'm 90% sure that even the base model Yaris had that.

Rental and fleet vehicles.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I rented a Jeep a couple years ago and it didn't have bluetooth. I can't believe that company is still in business...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm still perplexed how the guy managed to buy a car that didn't have some critical (to him) features and he didn't figure this out until after buying the car. The heated seats thing would be obvious too. I'm sure the dealership would love to take the car back for free though.

I had bought a Ford Focus that didn't have air conditioning, because at the time I had assumed all post 2000 model cars would have it. But there are definitely stock, bare bones trim variants that don't even have A/C, I'm assuming they are intended as fleet vehicles to be as cheap and maintenance friendly as possible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cacafuego posted:

I get mad when people scam elderly folks out of money or just plain dislike thieves in general, but these horse grifters are just making me laugh ripping off rich people.

It’s like when someone was selling counterfeit rare wine to a Koch brother.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/wine-fraud-rudy-kurniawan-vintage-burgundies

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Rental and fleet vehicles.

I rented an Impala with bluetooth and just about everything else in August :shrug:. Wasn't even a top end rental or anything.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s like when someone was selling counterfeit rare wine to a Koch brother.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/wine-fraud-rudy-kurniawan-vintage-burgundies

There's a documentary about this called Sour Grapes. A great watch if you love the schadenfreude that comes with rich assholes being scammed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There is always the real cheap rental car whose sole purpose is to be so unattractive that it immediately makes you want the next costlier model.

I cannot believe people in this thread haven’t rented those cars. I rented a Dodge Caliber in 2010 that lacked power locks and had crank windows. It was Vegas, so no one was rolling down windows, but you do not realize how important power locks are until you are driving 4 people and you have to walk around and lock every door on the car one-by-one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was behind a horse trailer that had Caution Horses painted in red letters on the back door. I thought how true.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I figure a breed called Caution Horses is a good investment, less prone to think of ants and die.

Unless this is some scam by the breeder and they are in fact 34% more prone to thinking of ants and dying! :tinfoil:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is always the real cheap rental car whose sole purpose is to be so unattractive that it immediately makes you want the next costlier model.

I cannot believe people in this thread haven’t rented those cars. I rented a Dodge Caliber in 2010 that lacked power locks and had crank windows. It was Vegas, so no one was rolling down windows, but you do not realize how important power locks are until you are driving 4 people and you have to walk around and lock every door on the car one-by-one.

When I worked at a rental car company circa 2006 it read the Chevrolet Aveo. Holy hell what a piece of poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My wife is on a mortgage from a previous relationship and we don't know what to do.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9n3yya/my_wife_is_on_a_mortgage_from_a_previous/

quote:

(North Carolina) So a few years before my wife and I met, she bought a house with her at the time boyfriend. Fast forward years later, I'm married to her and her ex is now behind a few months on the payment. I've never owned a home before so this is all new territory for me. Shortly after we got married, she was trying desperately to get off the mortgage. One day we went to mortgage company and we both signed paperwork and we were both under the impression that she was being taken off the mortgage. I didn't read anything, I just nodded and signed my name. Later I found out we signed what was called a quick claim deed, and it only took her name off the deed.

How badly did we screw up? What are our options? I don't want this to prevent us from buying a house in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Holy poo poo that's bad.