Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Starting WWE short back up, and buying TTM

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I wish I could quit you NBEV 🎲🎲

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I cant believe this kind of thing still happens

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...oof2&yptr=yahoo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

greasyhands posted:

I cant believe this kind of thing still happens

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...oof2&yptr=yahoo

Ah an ad hoc price target. Seriously this is the best wallstreet analyst on cannabis? And she is suggesting to buy a poo poo stock like TLRY. Never seen so many gaps in a chart with such volatility.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
sold out of the QQQ weeklies for about 20%, missed a chance for a lot more earlier in the day

vvvv totes jelly, i was sitting around looking at it and even put in a sell at 2.90 but it never reached that, alas.....

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 9, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I bought the same weeklies you did after you posted it, got out after that initial big spike this morning

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I did the same but with the 19th haha. I bought them at 2.00 and sold for 2.78 today. I also had CAG calls; I'm eating premium beefaroni tonight hell yeah :jerky:

Also MJ is a half geared fund, why do journalists treat it as an index?

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 10, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Jan 2020 $50 puts on HLF are incredibly cheap given the extreme downside risk in that huge piece of poo poo company. HLF is going to completely unravel at some point. it admittedly could take longer than 2020, but there's a very real chance it doesn't... China has already talked about wanting to go after MLMs and now they have an excuse with the trade war. Those puts could rather realistically be 5 baggers in a little over a year

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Alright I’m in for one lol

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Ok thread, let’s talk about how overexposed you are to the Nasdaq.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I bought QQQ leaps this morning ~~just in case~~ haha

You got any links about the China MLM stuff? I believe it but I really wanna know how much they have it out for em rn. I could see them loving with amway but amway is private.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 10, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

greasyhands posted:

Jan 2020 $50 puts on HLF are incredibly cheap given the extreme downside risk in that huge piece of poo poo company. HLF is going to completely unravel at some point. it admittedly could take longer than 2020, but there's a very real chance it doesn't... China has already talked about wanting to go after MLMs and now they have an excuse with the trade war. Those puts could rather realistically be 5 baggers in a little over a year

bill ackman held a $1 billion short on herbalife on this hypothesis in 2012
it didnt go well

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

dougdrums posted:

I bought QQQ leaps this morning ~~just in case~~ haha

You got any links about the China MLM stuff? I believe it but I really wanna know how much they have it out for em rn. I could see them loving with amway but amway is private.

Just Google China mlm, there's dozens of articles

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bill ackman held a $1 billion short on herbalife on this hypothesis in 2012
it didnt go well

Gee, never heard about that. The risk ackman identified is still there, only the puts, for whatever reason, aren't pricing it in. Ackman got hosed by Icahn also, so that's a slightly complicated trade. Anyways, not trying to highlight a 'sure thing', just pointing out a good risk/reward opportunity.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 10, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Lmao WWE, did not expect that when I started a short on it yesterday. Covering now, and will get back on on a bounce. Also doing some qqq weeklies again

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

fougera posted:

Ok thread, let�s talk about how overexposed you are to the Nasdaq.

I actually sold a lot of my NASDAQ tech stocks at the start of october. I do still have some that I am waiting sell such as Dropbox which has been a garbage stock thus far.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

fougera posted:

Ok thread, let�s talk about how overexposed you are to the Nasdaq.

A ton in my 401k because its diversified but like 70% equities. Everything owns apple.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ulio posted:

I actually sold a lot of my NASDAQ tech stocks at the start of october. I do still have some that I am waiting sell such as Dropbox which has been a garbage stock thus far.
I wish I had sold most of my positions on Oct 1 :smith:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

fougera posted:

I have been migrating to value stocks over the past 18 months and I am absolutely killing it right now compared to the S&P.

Granted it is making up for getting killed over the past 18 months, but still...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

fougera posted:

Portfolio is a bit red atm, perhaps in the 12% range from the peak.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have been migrating to value stocks over the past 18 months and I am absolutely killing it right now compared to the S&P.

Granted it is making up for getting killed over the past 18 months, but still...

:yeah:

Only down half of what the S&P is right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy christ, what happened today? --edit: Everyone mad about tech.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 10, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fougera posted:

I once again repeat that my anus is bleeding

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

this owns lol

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy christ, what happened today? --edit: Everyone mad about tech.

The NASDAQ and big tech has been outperforming the market for years. With the rise of interest rates, there appears to be a rotation back into the rest of the market.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

weed stocks holding strong!!!! :2bong:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't this happen last year as well? I think it was a bit later last time - in December?? But Nvidia dropped like 30 USD I think and AMD dropped below 10, that was when I picked them both up

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The NASDAQ and big tech has been outperforming the market for years. With the rise of interest rates, there appears to be a rotation back into the rest of the market.

Yeah, I would imagine a lot of institutional money is moving around before the end of the year/taking risk off the table.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I remeber a similar thing at the beginning of February. Indexes were floating high for awhile now, I was wondering if it would reach the same bottom relative to then.

dougdrums posted:

~~just in case~~
Welp, it would seem to be the case, picked up a mess of calenders now ... I gotta go return this beefaroni ...

USO puts, I know we've had a rough time with our relationship over the past few days, but I gotta say I'm happy to see your face today ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 10, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, I would imagine a lot of institutional money is moving around before the end of the year/taking risk off the table.
Alternatively, many would want to show positions in names that have performed well. But it is neither the end of the month nor the end of the quarter.

Today’s selling is likely steady algo pressure. If we don’t have a big recovery tomorrow, I’ll probably try to exit most of my positions.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Josh Lyman posted:

Alternatively, many would want to show positions in names that have performed well. But it is neither the end of the month nor the end of the quarter.

Today’s selling is likely steady algo pressure. If we don’t have a big recovery tomorrow, I’ll probably try to exit most of my positions.

That's better said what I meant, selling now and buying back sometime in December to get the name.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm kinda hoping it stays down until the 15th because that's when my next 401k deposit goes in. That's the only fun ~market timing~ I get to do right now :v:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Brutal

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Eyyy I bought a 3x bull NASDAQ ETF yesterday since I figured it bottomed. Luckily just a tiny bet but gently caress am I bad at guessing this poo poo.

I feel better by "hedging" it with tossing in extra retirement portfolio contributions on big down days like this.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Rough week so far for me.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Man it is days like these that really test my passive strategy. Let's hope this isn't a substantial correction.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Something Offal posted:

Man it is days like these that really test my passive strategy. Let's hope this isn't a substantial correction.

Consider a higher allocation of bonds and a lower allocation of stocks if you're worried about the short term.

Otherwise, stay the course.

Nobody likes to see their balances go down, but the down days are a part of the passive investing strategy, every bit as much as the up days.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
For those waiting on an entry for SQ, here's your chance. Down 10% during the day and then another 11% after hours as CFO exits.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kal Torak posted:

For those waiting on an entry for SQ, here's your chance. Down 10% during the day and then another 11% after hours as CFO exits.

:allbuttons: Why do you gotta post this stuff and give me heart attacks. MU holding stong for now

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Kal Torak posted:

Google's localization makes searching their chart somewhat concerning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Probably gonna liquidate some of my mid term stocks. I already liquidated all my tech longs.

Just go into more inverse ETFS, gold and oil. Oil related companies have actually faired pretty well even as of last week.