Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Gorgolflox posted:

Any recommendations on any hairball products?

They make some oils you can put in food to lube that poo poo up. Ask your local mudbay or whatever store you have. My hairball prone cat didn't care to try it, though it seems pretty noninvasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A very dear friend of mine had to say goodbye to her cat of 20 years last night. Her kidneys went downhill very fast over the last couple of weeks, and she didn't respond to treatment. She was an extremely sweet girl with enormous floof. Rest in Peace, Callie-Kitty. :unsmith:

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
How do y'all keep the litter smell out of a small apartment? It's not even the smell of urine or anything, it's the actual smell of the litter. My litter box had a lid and a flap and all. Is there some additive I can use or something?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Koaxke posted:

How do y'all keep the litter smell out of a small apartment? It's not even the smell of urine or anything, it's the actual smell of the litter. My litter box had a lid and a flap and all. Is there some additive I can use or something?

Baking soda is good for controlling odors of many varieties. Keep an open dish in a corner of the room and change it every week or so.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Koaxke posted:

Use unscented litter. I've been very happy with world's best in the green bag.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You could also try a big hepa filter but that also might just blow the dust around too. We have one in our litter room that we run 24/7. I think it helps, but my whole house smells like cats so I can’t really tell anymore.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Use unscented litter. I've been very happy with world's best in the green bag.

I'm going back to worlds best. Target was having a sale on the Arm and Hammer version so I bought two giant bags... and it sucks. Worlds best absolutely desiccates everything that goes into it killing smells and it scoops well. When I scoop the A&H stuff the litter-balls of cat piss break apart and its dry on the outside and still wet and stinky inside and crumbles through the holes in the scoop. Buy the good stuff.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Man, i'm going through cat litter so fast. 2 kittens. The Cat litter box I buy says it's good for 4 weeks. It has 2L and costs 8 bucks. It eliminates the smell. I think 2 weeks per box is fair. I'm going through a box per week.

I feel like i'm wasting too much litter when i clean their boxes. A few more months until they are old enough for the cat robot litter box.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have two cats and 3 litter boxes. 2 big boxes for first cat, one small box in new cat's room. Since opening doors and gates, both cats use the one small litter box for their territorial geurilla war.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there anything better than being home alone and hearing an audible slurping sound coming from the corner of your room only to look over and see your cat spread eagle licking their own rear end? I think the best part of this is when you say something to them along the lines of "Dude can you do that in the other room?" and they look at you between their legs as if to say "What? I'm a cat."

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Its called "playing the cello"

Interrupting cello solos gets great pictures

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Is there anything better than being home alone and hearing an audible slurping sound coming from the corner of your room only to look over and see your cat spread eagle licking their own rear end? I think the best part of this is when you say something to them along the lines of "Dude can you do that in the other room?" and they look at you between their legs as if to say "What? I'm a cat."

Try the same at 3am with them on your bed. Or sat next to your pillow cleaning their nails one by one - scraaaaaaape CLICK.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

I could use some advice on how to proceed with my kitten. I want her to be a success story like Chili, but I'm getting nervous.

After a trip to the emergency vet, we found Molly had fluid in her chest cavity that was causing her noticeable rapid breathing.

At the time we could only afford a chest tap to drain the fluid, but we weren't able to test it to see if we could find the cause. We were sent home with the fluid samples and some antibiotics in the hopes it was some bacterial infection.

Molly's regained her appetite, has her playful moments, is pretty alert and active, and we've been giving her the antibiotics as prescribed. Hell, she's starting to really fight us now so I do think she's improved from how lethargic and feverish she was before.

However, she's still got very conspicuous, quick abdominal breathing so I'm afraid the fluid is back. Would it come back so quick?

My question is, should I take her in for another possible chest tap? Is her fast breathing still an emergency even though she has mostly improved all around?

Before the whole emergency visit, I set up a standard exam at a different vet practice that is now coming up this Friday. Should I just chill out until then and tell them what all has happened? I'm going to keep giving her the antibiotics, of course, I'm just worried her breathing abnormally is too pressing to wait for Friday. I'm also going to call ahead and ask if they'd be able to test the fluid samples so I could bring those on Friday.

I just got this spoiled baby and I love her.

JARATE CURES SPIES fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 8, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's a good brand to buy stuff like cat tunnels from? Amazon is suggesting Purrfect Feline and Feline Ruff, but I have no idea if they're actually good or not. I'm thinking maybe a T shape is better just due to the geometry of my apartment, but maybe Y is better...not sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pollyanna posted:

What's a good brand to buy stuff like cat tunnels from? Amazon is suggesting Purrfect Feline and Feline Ruff, but I have no idea if they're actually good or not. I'm thinking maybe a T shape is better just due to the geometry of my apartment, but maybe Y is better...not sure.

I had something like this that I used until rear end in a top hat decided it was a toy. He seemed to be happy with it and made his own exits in the mesh because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been getting stuff in this style:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHX46Q6

There doesn't seem to be a brand or anything and lots of different sellers, but the cats love the things. Nice and crinkley and cheap. Holding up to the mayhem well too. Its never in the same place on the floor one day to the next.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds good! I have a good 40"x75" in the living room that I was thinking of making into a hideaway for the cat, but I didn't want to get a big ol' chunk of furniture or something. A tunnel like that one is a good place to start, and if anyone's got suggestions on how to take up that chunk of space, definitely throw it my way. Jet's more of a hider than a climber, if that helps.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

I could use some advice on how to proceed with my kitten. I want her to be a success story like Chili, but I'm getting nervous.

After a trip to the emergency vet, we found Molly had fluid in her chest cavity that was causing her noticeable rapid breathing.

At the time we could only afford a chest tap to drain the fluid, but we weren't able to test it to see if we could find the cause. We were sent home with the fluid samples and some antibiotics in the hopes it was some bacterial infection.

Molly's regained her appetite, has her playful moments, is pretty alert and active, and we've been giving her the antibiotics as prescribed. Hell, she's starting to really fight us now so I do think she's improved from how lethargic and feverish she was before.

However, she's still got very conspicuous, quick abdominal breathing so I'm afraid the fluid is back. Would it come back so quick?

My question is, should I take her in for another possible chest tap? Is her fast breathing still an emergency even though she has mostly improved all around?

Before the whole emergency visit, I set up a standard exam at a different vet practice that is now coming up this Friday. Should I just chill out until then and tell them what all has happened? I'm going to keep giving her the antibiotics, of course, I'm just worried her breathing abnormally is too pressing to wait for Friday. I'm also going to call ahead and ask if they'd be able to test the fluid samples so I could bring those on Friday.

I just got this spoiled baby and I love her.

I don’t have any advice besides call your vet and ask. Some vets always say to bring them in no matter what though. If she’s improving in general I would probably wait and see but I have had a lot of pets and a lot of vet bills...

Good luck to your kitty.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So this is a really weird question to ask, but has anyone had experience with neutered cats still engaging in mounting behavior?

My cats are a boy and girl, both 4 years old, who I adopted a month and a half ago. They were a pair from the same home, and I assume they've spent their lives together. They've recently gotten comfortable enough in their new home to start play fighting with each other. One of the odd things that I have noticed, however, is when they start going at it the male cat, Juuni, pins the girl cat Moira down beneath him (he has about 5 pounds on her) and seems like he's trying to do an approximation of mounting her. She'll be prone and Juuni kind of thrusts his back legs forward in the air above her hind quarters in a facsimile of mating, I presume. She meows sometimes during this but mostly she'll tolerate it for a moment before attacking him again.

Neither of them show any lasting enmity towards each other and they don't unsheathe there claws so I hope this isn't causing lasting harm, but it's weird to say the least. Is this just a quirk or is it something I should be actively discouraging?

Moira is also spayed, by the way.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 9, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
How recent was his neutering? The hormones can take a few months to wash out of their systems.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Might be worth getting him checked out when you're next at the vet to see whats up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I received both of them spayed and neutered. They had spent a month at the center they were surrendered, and the info sheet he came with only had neutered y/n and the previous owner did not see fit to provide a date.

fwiw i took them to a vet when i adopted them and nothing particular came up besides some overgrooming that the vet thought was tied to stress from new home.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah I've seen this before and it's likely there's nothing you can do about it. As long as he's fixed it's just a really annoying behavior for your other cat to deal with.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that's probably just a dominance thing. Our late-neutered cat (came into the shelter at 2 years old unfixed, adopted by us a couple of months after his surgery) used to do this to our other cat, sort of hunching up and aggressively kneading; it's faded as he's gotten older and more mellow. If the cats get along well otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
One other possibility (that's fairly uncommon but we've seen it a few times) is an undecended testicle that was missed or a sloppy neutering that left something behind. Your vet can check for this either by feeling the cat or more likely with a blood test looking for hormone followed by imaging.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boogalo posted:

Its called "playing the cello"

lmao

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Nature's Miracle going to get rid of an old, dried stain? At first I thought there was something in the walls because I didn't smell the urea / ammonia, but I think it actually is a urine stain. Because of that, it's old. I really need to get this stuff out, but I want to make sure something like Nature's Miracle is going to work.

She hasn't done it since, at least as far as I know. I haven't caught her yet, at least.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
All purpose cleaner soaked into a paper towel, blot the paper towel on top of the stain and leave it to soak for a couple hours, pick it up and wipe with soap and water, then apply a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar to the area

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, that's probably just a dominance thing. Our late-neutered cat (came into the shelter at 2 years old unfixed, adopted by us a couple of months after his surgery) used to do this to our other cat, sort of hunching up and aggressively kneading; it's faded as he's gotten older and more mellow. If the cats get along well otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

rear end in a top hat used to do that to Bean right after we brought her home. They were both fixed but he'd still pin her down and bite the back of her neck.

He doesn't do that anymore and is instead content with just walking up and slapping her in the face now because he wants to play rough and she wants to sleep. Somedays he pisses her off and she lays him out with a heavy THUNK and then he scampers away to sulk under the bed.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
My mom adopted this dusty elderly cat from the humane society a half a year ago (the original owner developed dementia and went into a care home) and I've never seen a cat love a human more than this cat loves my mom.

Here she is looking deceptively sassy

Cats are great.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Ohhh, she's just darling. That's a content cat.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Cats are indeed great. give her great pets.

Mine are just chilling. They seem to love fish wet food more than meat wet food.
Is it ok if I just feed them the fish wetfood?

Edit: Also. iIve been brushing their fur lately. one of them purs when i brush her, the other is still apprehensive. I've also started to put my finger in their mouth so they get used to that.
So i can brush their teeth. I haven't used toothpaste yet. Is there a specific brand cat toothpaste that's recommended. Or is any one fine from a local pet shop

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Just make sure that the tin says it's a complete cat food and then you're good.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah all fish is fine. If you can vary their flavors you might have better luck getting them to eat medicine treats and stuff later. My girl eats only one can type and pretty much refuses any other food.

Good luck with the brushing. That can be a pain and doesn't always work. Cats get diseased teeth with or without it a lot of times. My vet said they just stopped demanding it from owners cause it doesn't always help and you cat might just be destined for some extractions anyway. In due it couldn't hurt though.

Work their hands a lot so you can trim their nails! I wish I had done that more when Punkin was a kitten.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ILL Machina posted:

Yah all fish is fine. If you can vary their flavors you might have better luck getting them to eat medicine treats and stuff later. My girl eats only one can type and pretty much refuses any other food.

That sounds like Sweetheart - when we got her from the rescue, her foster basically told us she wasn't super keen on wet food, but that was mostly because she was giving her lower quality chicken-based stuff. She inhales the tuna and salmon-based wet food we've switched her to since we got her. Still trying to get her interested in treats, though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That sounds like Sweetheart - when we got her from the rescue, her foster basically told us she wasn't super keen on wet food, but that was mostly because she was giving her lower quality chicken-based stuff. She inhales the tuna and salmon-based wet food we've switched her to since we got her. Still trying to get her interested in treats, though.

Have you tried the temptations treats? Our guys refuse to try any but them we've tried fancy dehydrated fish etc... They only want those drat temptations and they will do anything for them.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Have you tried the temptations treats? Our guys refuse to try any but them we've tried fancy dehydrated fish etc... They only want those drat temptations and they will do anything for them.

Punkin's the same and I wish it weren't so. They're like the McDonald's of cat treats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thumposaurus posted:

Hm, no we haven't, actually. I'll make a note for this week's shopping, thanks.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If she likes fish, she'll probably love bonito flakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Oh, right, pictures of the cattes.

Moira is very regal when she's not begging for attention (almost all of the time) or chirping at birds outside the window.

Juuni is a big loving goof. Also a big boi in general

Their favorite thing to do besides fighting and ripping all of their toys to pieces is to be as lazy as possible