Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hup posted:

Joe Q? I’m on board.

For a second I thought there had been a TREMENDOUS shake up in comics that I wasn't aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The preview for RH: Outlaw is out and

:cry:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That art is.. uh.. well not good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Updating the previous post about Flash: Year One.

https://twitter.com/williamson_josh/status/1049308805329084416?s=21

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The preview for RH: Outlaw is out and

:cry:

I'm not about to bawl my eyes out but I do think that's actually a good show of how people dealing with grief turn to unusual places just to hear a loved one's voice or read messages from them. I don't listen to it regularly but I know I've got a voicemail that I've never deleted from my phone from my brother who died a few years back.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So it seems that Young Justice will be on main continuity? That's cool, but also weird because last time we saw Tim he was old enough to enter college, and seems much younger in Young Justice.

Oh well, doesn't really matter, characters age and de-age all the time on comics.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

For a second I thought there had been a TREMENDOUS shake up in comics that I wasn't aware of.

I didn’t even think of that I was just too lazy to type quinones

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adnor posted:

So it seems that Young Justice will be on main continuity? That's cool, but also weird because last time we saw Tim he was old enough to enter college, and seems much younger in Young Justice.

Oh well, doesn't really matter, characters age and de-age all the time on comics.

Not only old enough, but his whole storyline was focused on his big decision on whether to move on to college or not. He was also with Spoiler who's nowhere to be seen in what they've shown, so it might be a case of Bendis not caring so much about continuity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I haven't been following Detective Comics, but wasn't there a whole thing where Tim was kidnapped/faked killed by [I guess Kal-El working for Doctor Manhattan] because him getting close to Bruce and Stephanie was ruining whatever goofy "take love out of the DC Universe" he's been experimenting with? And Red Robin['s costume] is prominently featured on an upcoming Doomsday Clock cover, so maybe the whole Young Justice reunion will spin out of whatever the hell is going on there, which would be as good an excuse as any to revert/deage some of the characters a bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think, or at least hope you mean Jor-El

Kal-El is most commonly known as Superman or Clark Kent.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

That art is.. uh.. well not good.
This piece is so much better.
https://twitter.com/thatpetewoods/status/1049533342335393794

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't been following Detective Comics, but wasn't there a whole thing where Tim was kidnapped/faked killed by [I guess Kal-El working for Doctor Manhattan] because him getting close to Bruce and Stephanie was ruining whatever goofy "take love out of the DC Universe" he's been experimenting with? And Red Robin['s costume] is prominently featured on an upcoming Doomsday Clock cover, so maybe the whole Young Justice reunion will spin out of whatever the hell is going on there, which would be as good an excuse as any to revert/deage some of the characters a bit.

It seemed mostly resolved with the Future Tim storyline, but he, Steph and Cass were all aware of their pasts in the old continuity. Stephanie downloaded a bunch of information about it or something and she and Tim were off to look it over, so I guess it makes (some?) sense to tie them back into whatever the gently caress Dr. Manhattan is doing. The timing for YJ starting in January lines up, too.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Can anyone recommend any decent DC Comics focused podcasts? Especially ones that look the week's releases and talk about them, recommend the good stuff etc.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

A sorely needed up date in a world where they're still pushing Barry Allen.

Sadly it will be written by Williamson. DC seems to think he's their new Waid when the dude's one of the most mediocre writers imaginable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm really curious if they'll jettison whatever stuff Mieville did during his Dial H run or fold it in with a new take.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So this Young Justice stuff is in-continuity right? Cuz that looks loving awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the second Wonder Woman Earth One and quite enjoyed it, but it's kinda rude that they obviously modeled their version of Dr. Psycho (this time, a super alt-right men's rights pick-up-artist ultra-misogynist butthole) on bloody Nick Cave.

That's mean.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, Jason's reaction to the news of Roy's passing was much more subdued than I expected but it was really nice to see Lobdell writing Bruce as a human, trying his best to be there for his son.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 10, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm gonna come all this way to tell you your friend's dead but totally forget to mention Dick got shot in the head and remembers nothing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I can't get over how they decided to redesign both Dick and Jason, and now they look even more exactly the same than before.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you didn't have the lettering I would barely be able to tell that's Bruce and would have no idea that's Jason.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I...kinda like this Supergirl cosmic detective storyline? It's managing to tread the very fine line between light hearted and overly serious, and really who doesn't love the adventures of a girl and her dog?

The new costume still blows though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

The new costume still blows though.

That's our DC! *laugh track plays in background while someone designs another worse look for a hero*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ressurrecting draft to say: The current Supergirl arc exceeds its premise in the best ways. Yes she is investigating Rogol's magic axe blah blah whatever, but the character work and everything not tied to the 'A' plot lets Kara and her supporting players sing. Andreyko keeps framing the detective work so that Kara gets to hang out with DC folks and dig up cool lines.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Darth Nat posted:

I can't get over how they decided to redesign both Dick and Jason, and now they look even more exactly the same than before.

Seriously what is this art and this design, this is like... terrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna come all this way to tell you your friend's dead but totally forget to mention Dick got shot in the head and remembers nothing.

Ignoring the obvious answer of this issue being written before editorial decided to move forward with the "Dick gets amnesia" plotline, Jason and Dick were never particularly close, and if Bruce has decided that it might be for the best to let Dick leave the superheroics for the time being, not telling Jason about it sort of make sense.

Codependent Poster posted:

If you didn't have the lettering I would barely be able to tell that's Bruce and would have no idea that's Jason.

Really? That is exactly how I came to picture Bruce, sharp-dressed even in the middle of nowhere and Jason's red hoodie is as obvious as it can get.

Onmi posted:

Seriously what is this art and this design, this is like... terrible.

What's so bad about the art? Woods has a great eye for panelling and to craft visually interesting fights. And while I don't like much the way he draws faces, he makes up with that by how expressive they are. On those pages, their faces tell as much story as the dialogue does.

As for Jason's new design, the only questionable elements that I find are the lovely haircut and the equally lovely emblem. The rest works pretty well for what it is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
DC and Marvel both have a long and storied history of major characters becoming indistinguishable white men the second they take off their costumes. Whenever Captain and America and Hawkeye, god forbid Hank Pym, would be hanging out in street clothes you would be hard pressed to guess which is which. Having 2-3 grown-rear end ex-Robins running around, all of whom look functionally identical to Bruce Wayne, is baffling to me. Make a brown-haired one for goodness sake, or one with an eyepatch, or one with a big handlebar moustache, or one with freckles, or one with a parrot on his shoulder, because without speech balloons this could easily be, I don't know, two Punishers talking to each other . Giving them all slightly different 2008 haircuts isn't enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Archyduke posted:

Having 2-3 grown-rear end ex-Robins running around, all of whom look functionally identical to Bruce Wayne, is baffling to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I can't talk about Marvel but every one of Bruce's sons has different builds that differentiate them from each other. Is even more notorious now that they've grown out the Robin costume (and they've given a different costume to each one of them)

When the boys look identical that's on the artists, not on their designs per se.

This being a perfect example.

And even with all the issues (like Dick being a midget or Bruce being a giant), they can be identified by their hairstyles and body language.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Archyduke posted:

DC and Marvel both have a long and storied history of major characters becoming indistinguishable white men the second they take off their costumes. Whenever Captain and America and Hawkeye, god forbid Hank Pym, would be hanging out in street clothes you would be hard pressed to guess which is which. Having 2-3 grown-rear end ex-Robins running around, all of whom look functionally identical to Bruce Wayne, is baffling to me. Make a brown-haired one for goodness sake, or one with an eyepatch, or one with a big handlebar moustache, or one with freckles, or one with a parrot on his shoulder, because without speech balloons this could easily be, I don't know, two Punishers talking to each other . Giving them all slightly different 2008 haircuts isn't enough.

I remember hearing that DC's editorial wouldn't let Cassandra Cain have a bat logo on her outfit "because it'd cause confusion with Batgirl" and it boggles my mind when there's stuff like this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
God, I'm enjoying Justice League Dark so much. I'm living for this take on Circe; not only does it merge her pre-and-post-Rebirth looks, it tends to make her more of a Loki figure than before which is a really good use of the character. Also this whole Witching Hour thing is basically a stealth Wonder Woman event moonlighting (...heh) as a JL Dark event, and it's about time we got a WW event that doesn't suck.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

God, I'm enjoying Justice League Dark so much. I'm living for this take on Circe; not only does it merge her pre-and-post-Rebirth looks, it tends to make her more of a Loki figure than before which is a really good use of the character. Also this whole Witching Hour thing is basically a stealth Wonder Woman event moonlighting (...heh) as a JL Dark event, and it's about time we got a WW event that doesn't suck.

Noooooo you spoiled it!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Ressurrecting draft to say: The current Supergirl arc exceeds its premise in the best ways. Yes she is investigating Rogol's magic axe blah blah whatever, but the character work and everything not tied to the 'A' plot lets Kara and her supporting players sing. Andreyko keeps framing the detective work so that Kara gets to hang out with DC folks and dig up cool lines.

Yep, the first three issues have been a really fun adventure. Krypto is great as a girl's best friend.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ignoring the obvious answer of this issue being written before editorial decided to move forward with the "Dick gets amnesia" plotline, Jason and Dick were never particularly close, and if Bruce has decided that it might be for the best to let Dick leave the superheroics for the time being, not telling Jason about it sort of make sense.
The 'Dick gets shot' plotline has been in the works for months, just because the side-effects weren't as planned doesn't make the event as a whole not planned.

But after having read Titans #27 it appears that HIC #1 was supposed to have happened before the events of Batman #55? Its really loving confusing and typical DC.

I swear, everything from Batman #50 is just going to be Psycho Pirate loving with everyone in the DC Universe and they're gonna retcon it all with the stupid Doomsday Clock thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

pubic works project posted:

Noooooo you spoiled it!
Lol I really haven't. She appears in the comic, but she's not the surprise reveal villain or anything.

Also the issue's been out for a day
so

y'know

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Lol I really haven't. She appears in the comic, but she's not the surprise reveal villain or anything.

Also the issue's been out for a day
so

y'know

I didn't have time to read it last night

:negative:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pubic works project posted:

I didn't have time to read it last night

:negative:

Seconding that it and the whole JL Dark thing has been really good, esp for WW (and Zatanna, and Man-Bat of all characters wtf is up with that out of nowhere).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/10/late-heroes-in-crisis-2-halloween/

HIC #2 delayed till Halloween.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For fucks sake. The worst thing a lovely event book can do is have delays so it takes forever for it to loving finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Onmi posted:

For fucks sake. The worst thing a lovely event book can do is have delays so it takes forever for it to loving finish

I mean, they delayed it one week.