Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

The master and third officer left the wheelhouse by the starboard navigation bridge wing. As they proceeded down the external bridge access ladder, the span of the bridge struck the vessel in way of the wheelhouse front windows, subsequently destroying the vessel’s wheelhouse and funnel. The helmsman remained at his station in the wheelhouse and lay down on the deck as the bridge span passed overhead. He freed himself from the debris and descended by the deckhouse stairwell alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I guess I'm glad to hear he descended by the deckhouse stairwell alive, it would be kinda :spooky: if he did so in an undead state?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I'm glad to hear he descended by the deckhouse stairwell alive, it would be kinda :spooky: if he did so in an undead state?
Could have used his last precious moments on earth to hurl himself at the stairs to give his shipmates a spooky scare.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HOLY gently caress!!!
I remember this poo poo. I've got pictures of the aftermath!!
I was working midnights at a Denny's nearby, and a guy I worked with, who lived in Welland showed up first thing in the morning and was all "holy gently caress a ship hit the Allanburg bridge"!!
I was just coming off shift and went home, got my camera and went to check that poo poo out.

My cousin had some sort of internship with the Seaway, and he said that the bridge operators were always baked as gently caress..... Or drunk..

IIRC, this was one of the last bridges, or maybe the last to become remotely controlled.

schmug
May 20, 2007

why are the quotation marks being auto corrected to hieroglyphs? there has to be some regulations against that poo poo too.

lol it's not even for all posts. wtf

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

schmug posted:

why are the quotation marks being auto corrected to hieroglyphs? there has to be some regulations against that poo poo too.

Radium.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Buy yourself one of these:

They are the cruellest torture device ever created and will do loving wonders for your back.

do you know what they are called?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mozi posted:

Women.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^ lol

Mozi posted:

Ladder barrels.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some safety related things artisanally mined from the schadenfreude thread
https://i.imgur.com/eI6kUbi.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/qdYwFOR.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eqmCfJA.mp4

bike helmet airbag pops by itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kb53DCeEc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

schmug posted:

Radium did not foresee the existence of iphones. Now all must suffer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smart quotes are the work of the devil

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Gospel truth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Devil can script quotes for his purpose

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

spankmeister posted:

Lol of course Apple has to have their own special apostrophes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Android user's punctuation appears in green

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ekuNNN posted:

some safety related things artisanally mined from the schadenfreude thread
https://i.imgur.com/qdYwFOR.mp4

"Is that Rossi livery? Yep, that's Rossi livery."

spankmeister posted:

This can't be boosted enough.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Hey, at least the fire truck is exactly where it needs to be

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That guy's hosed, he just hit a ninja

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Radium did not foresee the existence of iphones. Now all must suffer.

Curly quotes (and a bunch of other characters) displayed fine for years.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HappyKitty posted:

Hey, at least the fire truck is exactly where it needs to be

The fire crew in that very picture posted this on their own Facebook as a joke :ssh:

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

The fire crew in that very picture posted this on their own Facebook as a joke :ssh:

Hahah

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Kibayasu posted:

Not this derail again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

Not this derail again.

Well you see it wasn't actually a derail, because the tracks

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well you see it wasn't actually a derail, because the tracks

:golfclap:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Yeah, so I'm glad for content blablabla but I think this thread should be more about accidents at work. Not about people doing a burnout. I'm sure the person doing the burnout probably works somewhere, but meh.
This isn't directed at you personally, it's just a trend I don't like in this thread.
Great content from my side, but I neeeeeded to say it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Oh, y'all want a derail? Let's get literal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Helena_train_wreck

I lived less than a mile from the wreck, as the crow flies. I also slept through it, but my parents were jolted out of bed and said they ran to the window only to see a nuclear-style mushroom cloud ascending into the sky. I woke up a few hours later, when the -30F degree temps, plus the fact that the door between the house and the uninsulated garage had gotten dislodged by the blast, made the house cold enough to wake me. We weren't evacuated per se, but we ended up taking refuge with my aunt and uncle in East Helena, since the power was out and the house bled off too much heat with the door open. We had friends in a nearby neighborhood whose windows were blown out. Hell of a thing to happen when it's that loving cold outside. The college was mega-hosed for a while due to blast damage. The local TV station is just downhill from the college, and for a decade or so, the busted up hulk of one of the exploded train cars was displayed behind a fence next door.

That no one died is kind of amazing. Even the explosion that tore apart downtown Bozeman in the 00s killed at least one person.

Oddly enough, there was a much worse wreck that originated in a similar area in 1906.
http://www.gendisasters.com/montana/5368/austin%2C-mt-train-wreck%2C-feb-1906
http://www.gendisasters.com/montana/5370/austin%2C-mt-train-wreck%2C-feb-1906-second-article

Highlights, from a much more brutal time in journalism (bolding mine):

FIVE KILLED IN AWFUL WRECK posted:

The passenger train preceded the freight out of Austin about eight miles west of Helena. At Austin the engine was detached from the freight. There is a heavy grade from Austin to Helena and the freight got loose. The passenger train was waiting at a crossing when the freight came thundering down. Before it could get out of the way the freight crashed into it throwing all the passenger cars into the ditch.

The passenger engine became uncoupled and kept on the track ahead of the freight. After the freight had got a quarter of a mile beyond the passenger wreck it went into the ditch and caught fire. A carload of shingles was dumped on the passenger train wreck, and made a terrific fire.

MESSENGER JESSUP was burned alive while four people were trying to pull him out of the wreck. He was caught under wreckage and could not be saved.

Austin is now a ghost town northwest of Helena. I went exploring up there one night, trying to find a dirt road route over the Continental Divide (don't judge my weird hobbies), got stuck when my car couldn't negotiate the forest service roads, and turned back. As I passed back through Austin, a train went by across the valley from me, and it was the eeriest thing. Nearly silent trains at night seem different from the ones going thru town in the daylight. Anyway, that's what prompted me to try and research the Feb 2, 1989 derailment from my childhood. That's when I ran across the stories from the Feb 6, 1906 derailment

Details of the Wreck on the Northern Pacific Near Helena in Which Five Passengers Lost Their Lives posted:

DISASTROUS WRECK ON NORTHERN PACIFIC

PASSENGER TRAIN IS DEMOLISHED AND FIVE PERSONS ARE KILLED OR BURNED.

Helena, Mont., Feb. 6.-Unless other victims were totally incinerated leaving no vestige of their bodies behind, the total number of dead in last night's collision between a runaway freight on the Northern Pacific and the local passenger from Garrison at the Great Northern crossing near Helena, numbers five, as follows:

CHARLES BICKELL, conductor, Helena

J. F. ROBINSON, bridge carpenter.

EDWARD JESSUP, express messenger, Helena.

FOSTER SENECAL, butcher of Elliston.

Unknown passenger, sex undeterminable.

The injured:

JEFF BROWN, brakeman.

ERNEST ROSSMAN, butcher, Helena.

LENA ANDERSON, on the way from Wisconsin to Lewiston.

All will recover.

The through passenger train passed through Austin, about eight miles west of Helena, on time. Following it was a long freight train made up of box and flat cars loaded with lumber and shingles. At Austin the engine was uncoupled from the freight to take water and the train was left standing on the track. There is a steep grade east of Austin and by some means the freight train got started down the hill.

The passenger train when it arrived at the Montana Central crossing stopped when the engineer heard a sound behind him that warned him of danger. He started his train, but it had gone but a few feet when the freight crashed into the rear car. There were but two cars in the train and they were smashed and thrown into the ditch. The engine became uncoupled but did not leave the track and Engineer PELTY managed to keep ahead of the flying freight. The freight went probably five hundred feet when it, too, went off the track. In a few minutes fire started and for hours the cars and the lumber burned fiercely.

The crash of the collision was heard by persons living in the vicinity who immediately started for the wreck. When they got there an awful scene met their gaze. The combination car was on fire and pinned under a mass of wreckage was JESSUP. He was conscious and heroic efforts were made to release him from his situation. Finally the fire became so hot that the rescuers had to give up the task. JESSUP still conscious, cried: "It is hard to lie here and burn to death." He struggled to release himself as the fire took hold of his limbs, but the effort was fruitless and after a few screams of agony unconsciousness came to him.

Exposed to full view with blazing shingles all about him and his bed a mass of red hot coals, was the body of an unknown man. It was slowly consumed until all that was left was the skull, and, outstretched were two stumps that a few hours before had been arms.

There is supposed to have been eight passengers on the train, of which number two and are still unaccounted for.

"It is hard to lie here and burn to death," and that bit about the man with burned off stumps for arms, holy loving poo poo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

as I read that I was imagining it as a silent film for some reason

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That no one died is kind of amazing.

Pff only like 12 people live in montana. Statistically it's amazing that anyone dies at all.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pff only like 12 people live in montana. Statistically it's amazing that anyone dies at all.

Yes, but you're talking about the American equivalent of Australia. The wildlife wants you dead. The plants want you dead. The ground itself wants you dead. If you have neighbors, they surely want you dead.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

This one's kind of horseshit. The guy decides she's right and that he should let her drive and he dies anyway? I get the point it's trying to make but it comes across as moralizing that he drove high so he deserves to die no matter what.

also because gold-standard studies have consistently shown that for regular smokers driving high is no more risky than a bunch of things that people regularly do while driving, like eating or using gps or trying to adjust the volume in new cars since apparently some moron car designers thought it would be a good idea to hide normal things under 5 different menus.

delivery drivers are a good case study in this because they are nearly guaranteed to be high as balls 24/7 and their accident rate is better than the average population.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Driving high is as bad as driving drunk. Don't do it, idiots.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Driving high is as bad as driving drunk. Don't do it, idiots.

:lol: it's demonstrably not, but still, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Don't drive with any kind of mind-altering substances on board is a good rule of thumb though.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Not really 'by itself' he slips, and could have easily gone down. If your head jerked like that on a bike, that's a wreck.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Not really 'by itself' he slips, and could have easily gone down. If your head jerked like that on a bike, that's a wreck.

I assumed it was an accelerometer detecting that he was momentarily freefalling when he foot slipped out from under him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

:lol: it's demonstrably not, but still, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Any significant dose of marijuana (i.e. not the tiny doses some people take to control nausea etc) fucks your reaction time and motor control to hell. That's not really arguable. It doesn't make you make incredibly stupid decisions like alcohol does so you're less likely to try and drive, but you definitely shouldn't.
If studies show that adjusting the stereo is just as bad then that is evidence we should ban car stereos, not that driving high is ok.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Potheads: "I once waited five minutes for a stop sign to turn green."

Also potheads: "I driver safer when I'm high."

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Any significant dose of marijuana (i.e. not the tiny doses some people take to control nausea etc) fucks your reaction time and motor control to hell. That's not really arguable. It doesn't make you make incredibly stupid decisions like alcohol does so you're less likely to try and drive, but you definitely shouldn't.
If studies show that adjusting the stereo is just as bad then that is evidence we should ban car stereos, not that driving high is ok.

Besides the subjectivity of cannabis intoxication, a lot of research (so far) supports the argument that driving drunk is more dangerous than driving high (this does not include driving with THC and alcohol in your blood). According to The Marshall Project, a majority of studies find that driving high is about the same as driving with .01 to .05 blood alcohol content, which is legal in all 50 states. One researcher went as far as to say the increased crash risk from driving under the influence of weed is "so small you can compare it to driving in darkness compared to driving in daylight." And, it goes without saying, people are still allowed to drive in the dark.

Still, don't drive intoxicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Speaking of explosions, the Roseburg blast in Oregon in the 50s was a massive explosion. A truck full of 6.5 tons of explosives was left parked unattended, near a building that caught fire in the middle of the night. (The vehicle's owners had told the driver not to park the truck in the explosive storage depot but to leave it downtown so nobody could steal it.)

The aftermath was studied by Civil Defense as to what would happen in a nuclear attack. My father-in-law lived there at the time but doesn't remember much about it, you'd think a 50-foot crater in town would be more memorable...