Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Colostomy Bag posted:

Somehow Roberts can't release a game yet can release the Kraken.

Dude, that’s old news, they sent Ben away back in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol at these dorks on the hover bike model. it just made this soft glitchy pew pew laser sound when he hit the button and it sounded just like a stormtrooper gun i had when I was like eight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's with Mini-Lesnick in t' Yarkshur flatcap?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

moment of tension between two grown men over who gets to pose with the sniper rifle prop

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Ok back

15 pages let's get immersed

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

lol at these dorks on the hover bike model. it just made this soft glitchy pew pew laser sound when he hit the button and it sounded just like a stormtrooper gun i had when I was like eight.

It is extremely brave of these manchildren to get anywhere near a real-life version of ANY star citizen vehicle.

If it starts vibrating uncontrollably, clear the building.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Nebiros posted:

all air crews tended to bullshit their kills on all sides and ironically, not always in the same direction.

Yeah. I was going to say this but the thread seemed to be having a nazi slap fight just fine without me. There's a reason kill numbers from before reliable radar are so high and it's the same reason there's fewer miracles during the surveillance age.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Goblin posted:

Seems that way

The level of interest effects the price point they set when it goes on sale. Prepare to be gouged!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
As they are talking with a costumed commando with their microphones, I want to see him bend into an impossible knot of arms and legs, spin furiously for a second, stop... in a new, more horrifying twisted configuration, spin wildly again, stop... both arms coming out of his knees, spin again, etc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nice use of the Mass Effect font for that building.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

trucutru posted:

You didn't specify!

I have no idea what this is, but that fist right there is ripped from the Riot Games logo. I cannot fathom the audacity of their Archering, you take the logo of the company that made one of the most recognizable games on the PLANET, and try to sell it as your own? JFC.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Nebiros posted:

Well I'm wildly behind thanks to the thread exploding again, but gently caress it. The Luftwaffe in WW2 were probably the most sadistic of the Nazis. But gently caress it, your Ace there? was highest scoring because he couldn't be retired. The Allied nations pulled pilots off of the line to train other pilots for a reason. Hell though, with enough reports it's become known that the Germans liked to attribute kills from the squadron to the leader for propaganda, that all air crews tended to bullshit their kills on all sides and ironically, not always in the same direction. Some American pilots in the pacific lowered their kill count so they could stay in theater. I'm going to guess none of your books go over them using civilians as target practice, unarmed villages as bombing practice or any of their more 'renowned' leaders though. You want to look up an interesting German of the time, go with Wilhelm Canaris.

I just wanted to shitpost in familiar territory, loving with wehraboos is a hobby at this point.

Now Wilhelm Canaris is an interesting fellow.

Hitler sends him to Spain to convince Franco to join the Axis. Canaris is like “lol gently caress no, don’t join us we’re gunna lose.”

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i miss dan gheesling, community ambassador

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
All the other panels are just people talking over powerpoints lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

Now Wilhelm Canaris is an interesting fellow.

Hitler sends him to Spain to convince Franco to join the Axis. Canaris is like “lol gently caress no, don’t join us we’re gunna lose.”

as part of my grad school research a professor lent me a huge box of microfilm translations made by the OSS right after the war, the supermajority of which were weird naval charts about firing torpedos and recounting battles and stuff. however, there were a few thousand pages of translated interviews with former high-ranking members of kriegsmarine/wehrmacht and one of them was about the abewehr and had a big part about Canaris specifically. the dude in the interview went on at length about how canaris sucked because he wasn't a "true nazi" and the intelligence services were "neutral or reactionary" and all this other stuff

I mean historically that has not been borne out and Canaris was garbage like all the other high ranking members of the third reich but its funny how much they hated him

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kikas posted:

I have no idea what this is, but that fist right there is ripped from the Riot Games logo. I cannot fathom the audacity of their Archering, you take the logo of the company that made one of the most recognizable games on the PLANET, and try to sell it as your own? JFC.

can_i_copy_your_homework.jpg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So when is Crobblerts gonna mushmouth around on stage and get dragged off by an SEC hook?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

RubberJohnny posted:

All the other panels are just people talking over powerpoints lol

Totally worth the trip down to Austin. And the ticket price. And lodging.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Goblin posted:

can_i_copy_your_homework.jpg

Geez! It's a HOMAGE you uncultured nincompoops

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this has been the worst citcon because they are walking back the dreams and are preparing the faithful for the harsh reality that this poo poo won't be ready until 2024+

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they even showing any Squadron 42 today?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Taintrunner posted:

Are they even showing any Squadron 42 today?

I don't think anyone has said the word Squadron yet actually.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beet Goblin posted:

people in chat losing their minds about how big the city is, not realizing if you go walk around it it's completely empty lol

Million mile wide, pavement deep

Sarsapariller posted:

Chris really leaning heavily on the train gameplay this year. He obviously watched the first 20 seconds of the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.

Cargo cult developer breeds cargo cult fans breeds cargo cult merchandise

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Taintrunner posted:

Can I just go on a rant for a minute?

I play a lot of flying/space games. X3:AP, IL-2:BoS, Strike Fighters 2, ArmA3, DCS World, House of the Dying Sun, X-Plane, etc. Flight models are complicated, I get it. But what the gently caress. Shouldn't this be the first loving thing you get sorted? Overwatch started out as grey boxes. Splatoon started out as grey boxes. And six years and 200 million loving dollars later, this is what you're finally getting on about? What the fuuuuuccccckkkk

The first thing you do when you're Chris Roberts is fund the vision. The vision is detailed ships flying around going "pew pew" in a manner that looks like Star Wars. Nothing else matters.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pash posted:

I don't think anyone has said the word Squadron yet actually.

Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, loving Henry Cavill, that old bald guy! They still have all that loving mocap and VA!

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

this has been the worst citcon because they are walking back the dreams and are preparing the faithful for the harsh reality that this poo poo won't be ready until 2024+

They're stumbling towards a borderline playable game and surprise! it's boring as poo poo.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the slides tonight for the road to release are supposedly talking about dates that would've been considered FUD here just a year ago lol

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

well CR said at the beginning that it was PRE ALPHA at 7 loving years in.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

They're going to attach an enormous price tag to it and they don't want every article about Citizen Con to be "CIG SELLS NEW BILLION DOLLAR SPACESHIP"

I only half-jokingly suspect that they will only reveal the price of the Kraken under NDA.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
12 years a developer

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

the slides tonight for the road to release are supposedly talking about dates that would've been considered FUD here just a year ago lol

how much more eng debt will be required. How many more ships need for another 7 years? I dont the press or anyone else has the will to wait that long.
some shitstain citizens sure but beyond those I cant see it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The first thing you do when you're Chris Roberts is fund the vision. The vision is detailed ships flying around going "pew pew" in a manner that looks like Star Wars. Nothing else matters.

Imagine being Chris Roberts. After 10 years of not touching a video game he gets the idea to make a new wing commander. Then these german techno-wizards from frytek or whatever say "we can make you a demo" and CR is like "well, that would be sweet, have a carrier, and space spitfires and poo poo". A few months later they come back and show him the results and completely floor him.

Seriously, that dude must have been awestruck by the advances in tech. They created a loving game with fully functional spaceships, and characters, in 3D! in a couple of months. Imagine what he could create with some extra funding, Hollywood actors, and time?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

TheAgent posted:

Oh my god, I can't wait for the crowd reaction and twitch chat if Chris actually gives a realistic 2024 release date tonight. It will make it the best citcon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look at our habitation unit interior whiteboxes

please pay for player habitation units

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
But what emergent gameplay will the train facilitate? Can we V for Vendetta it into the CIG headquarters with real time destructible urban terrain? If we have unlimited clones, my jihad across the stars cannot be stopped.

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug

Beet Goblin posted:

Seems that way

Star Citizen: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have stuff to do this evening, please make sure to post all the FUD slides here, and of course, bear this in mind in regards to all dates

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Taintrunner posted:

DCS sells premium planes. 90 bucks right now gets you a 1:1 recreation of the F/A-18, Su-34, and a giant desert map to gently caress around it. IL-2:BoX sells premium planes and modules. For like 20 to 25 bucks a pop, that are 1:1 recreations of WW2 aircraft. Something a lot harder and arguably a lot more valuable than fake space warships/battleships/fighters. Like you zip around in the F-5E Tiger 2 in DCS World and you can look around, see the armaments rattle on the wing, and struggle to get comfortable with the controls. It's selling you reality, something far harder than a Space WW2 game. And they want you to pay HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for something a thousand times less fidelitous than recreating an actual, real plane. It's just loving mind boggling.

This isn't completely correct.
Planes like the F-14 or the Mig-21 are made by third party devs and you buy those from them. There is no thing as a "premium plane" in DCS, since competetive multiplayer isn't a big thing there and even if you want to dogfight you set up a match against people with similar planes, e.g. from the same era. It's more a question of "Interesting plane, would like to learn to fly it" than "this gives me an edge in some way". Also, there is no in-game currency in DCS and you can't lose your plane in any way. You can get shot down in a match, thats it, you won't lose anything. The DCS multiplayer for the most people is about flying custom made scenarios with your squadron and the win-state there ranges from "I've manged to take off" to "we completed the objective like a real US Air Force squad would do, radio chatter included".
Anyway, the comparison between DCS and SC is bollocks anyway. The first one is a game that got it's first release with Black Shark in 2009 and saw steady improvements since then and become the go-to framework for Military Flightsims with interesting stuff released regularly, the F-14 as the latest example. The second one is a wet fantasy of a space second live that won't see the light of day in a decent state that somehow ticked the right boxes for a few people back then but is just a sad, tragic joke nowadays.

But apart from that I understand what you are saying. The absurd thing about SC is this whole LTI stuff, the griefing-aspect in combination with the ridiculous prices for ships that have a laughably bad flight model and just exist as some sort of status symbol. And yeah, the game itself doesn't really exist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This isn't even pre-alpha. What's the letter before alpha? Hell, what was the Phoenician letter that alpha is descended from? This is pre-that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
foip looks so good im dying xddd -reddit user