Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

hot balls man no homo posted:

So I take it that nobody told chris that it is boring to make a player need to do things like drink coffee, drink alcohol, ride a train, walk for 10 minutes through a station and fly for 20 minutes across a planet just to get some gameplay going? Like, this is all stuff gamers like to avoid and chris made it the centerpiece of his presentation. Does he not know we hate all this? Even the people who claim to look forward to this crap will get tired of it after the first few go rounds.

Lets talk about that gameplay.

It was all very dumb. The ships still fly no-clip style, the scanning was what? a single button push?, the fps gunplay was unresponsive and unexciting. Crew multi-play action was crap.

Once again the whole demo had about 4 mins of "gameplay" and all of it was very bad.

Chris Roberts does not know how to make modern games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just so loving bizarre because it's their one event of the year that is All Star Citizen, Nothing Else, and they didn't even try to impress. At all. Like maybe if everything worked without a hitch, that would be progress, but everything was still catastrophically hosed. And they spent all this time on idiotic little loving details that didn't add to the gameplay at all. Like seriously? Waiting on loving trains? And they even cheated that towards the loving end! It's just loving mind boggling!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Right now Chris Roberts sits alone in a room with that sweet whale blubber running down his face as he feasts

"You did it again" echoes inside his head

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SoftNum posted:

There's like two things. 1. I'm sure crobbers thinks that the demo he showed compares favorable to the CP2077 clip. and 2. lots of citizens claim to want this content.

They claim to want it until they get it and then they'll do their damndest to skip all of it. Even if Chris managed to deliver the game as promised, it would be so niche and boring that nobody would play it, and Chris would make no money off of game sales. So they would need more pay to win ship sales.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol so the anvil valkyrie, whatever that is but I gather it was just announced, is going to be $450. i guess that means this kraken capital ship they're showing off will be over a thousand bucks

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

GrizzlyAtoms posted:

Meaning a nearly 6x return on your early investment. MoMA wins?

Def win. Definitely worth it to get in early guys - I'm telling you.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Right now Chris Roberts sits alone in a room with that sweet whale blubber running down his face as he feasts

"You did it again" echoes inside his head

And then he pours himself another Hairy Roberts. I wonder if he is still going to be vertical when it's time for the closing remarks/apologies/desperate money grabs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Frog Act posted:

lol so the anvil valkyrie, whatever that is but I gather it was just announced, is going to be $450. i guess that means this kraken capital ship they're showing off will be over a thousand bucks

That carrier will be no less than 2500$ no way no how

Dont forget to thank them !!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I liked the bit with the big tank battle! opps, my bad, just because they have sold tanks does not mean there is any in the game.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I think it's going to be 5 large at least. I bet it'll come with a custom made model for each one (unavailable without, new money only). Can't have rogue galaxy outlaw outdoing them.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah if they're making people sign up for the privilege of finding out how much they'll be fleeced for it's gonna be 2K or more

I'd be shocked if it wasn't

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

So I take it that nobody told chris that it is boring to make a player need to do things like drink coffee, drink alcohol, ride a train, walk for 10 minutes through a station and fly for 20 minutes across a planet just to get some gameplay going? Like, this is all stuff gamers like to avoid and chris made it the centerpiece of his presentation. Does he not know we hate all this? Even the people who claim to look forward to this crap will get tired of it after the first few go rounds.

Nobody tells Chris anything. Telling Chris something means you could be telling Chris he's wrong, and Chris Roberts Is Not Wrong. Chris Roberts is the Visionary, he's the loving Saviour of Space Sims and he will not have some easily replaceable peon tell him how things should be done. Chris does not play games, he makes them. He knows that in order for the Maximum Possible Fidelity your character needs his (not hers, women are not fidelitious) morning coffee while he wakes up in the apartment that he TOTALLY NEEDS because the starship he owns that costs hundreds of thousands of credits doesn't have a bed (actually the Mustang Beta does but FIDELITY). That character NEEDS to spend literal minutes doing nothing waiting for a tram so he can meet someone in person for a VERY IMPORTANT MISSION THAT COULDN'T BE DISCUSSED OVER COMMS even though the McGuffin gets dropped in the mailbox as soon as you get back to the city. It's essential that the character spend even more time flying twenty kilometers to find the pile of smoking wreckage before having to crawl by foot and then leap to their death PARKOUR over what's left of the satellite to find the thing. Because that's IMMERSIVE and you are clearly NOT a visionary.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is all so extremely lovely, its worse than I could have imagined. Catching up now off work, sadly I was busy today so couldn't watch.

The commercial for the KRAKEN is so bad. The guys are like "heehee run away or we kill you!" (why don't they just kill him anyways) And then a KRAKEN manages to SNEAK UP ON THEM IN SPACE.

I mean seriously nobody has long range sensors or anything??? Nobody even LOOKED UP? What dumb :jerkbag: wankery from people who don't even understand how their own game is going to play.

Also the game crashing in the first 30 seconds is GOLD :five:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh god it's still going?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kosumo posted:

I liked the bit with the big tank battle! opps, my bad, just because they have sold tanks does not mean there is any in the game.

Have they even showed a second of space tank gameplay footage after putting that loving thing on sale? What the gently caress

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh god it's still going?

I'm tapping out until 10PM EST when Chris closes out the show, they might have something then.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh god it's still going?

There's another 3.5 hours or so before Chris even gets back on stage.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody tells Chris anything. Telling Chris something means you could be fired

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The mere fact the ability to put your name in the hat for a chance to purchase the ship means they will be gauging interest in the ship before setting the price

You'll have idiots like Clifford offering to buy 5 of them for any price , heck he has probably already cornered Chris and tried to shove cash at him

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This isn't a game. They really really are treating it like its a virtual world, which is what the backers want and explains why backers are giving up so much goddamn money. $20k isn't that much for a virtual world where you get to be Luke Skywalker.

Except only loving morons think that someone can build a realistic and detailed enough virtual world that you could actually live in it.

But seriously, look at all the things backers are asking for. None of it makes sense in the context of a game. Things like the wankpods, being able to re-arrange your room, having to ride a train to work, being able to slosh around every cup of coffee, none of that makes sense in a videogame but is necessary in order to create a virtual loving existence.

This "game" is really an alternate reality that doesn't exist but Chris is happy to sell you a bridge in it. Its mass delusion on a level that dwarfs even religion.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 11, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Richard Garriot basically hard confirmed this in his development talk video.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Like they probably already have the spread sheet setup

If 5000 backers opt in to buy it the price is 3000 per

If 10,000 backers the price is 4000 per

Yes normally the price would go down with more purchases. But not at cloud imperium investments LLC

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Taintrunner posted:

I'm tapping out until 10PM EST when Chris closes out the show, they might have something then.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's another 3.5 hours or so before Chris even gets back on stage.

Oh gently caress that,i'll wait for the silent screams tomorrow and the inevitable 576+ posts.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

poo poo even if like 10 idiots offer to buy it. They will still fudge t the numbers so it looks like a huge success.

What's stopping them? They're accountable to nothing and nobody

The scale model alone probably cost 10k from totally not the step cousin of Chris Robert's Ltd

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So. What are we up to now, was it three new ships this con so far?
And I do love Chris blatantly mentioning plans for being able to own and upgrade your apartment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't a game. They really really are treating it like its a virtual world, which is what the backers want and explains why backers are giving up so much goddamn money. $20k isn't that much for a virtual world where you get to be Luke Skywalker.

Except only loving morons think that someone can build a realistic and detailed enough virtual world that you could actually live in it.

But seriously, look at all the things backers are asking for. None of it makes sense in the context of a game. Things like the wankpods, being able to re-arrange your room, having to ride a train to work, being able to slosh around every cup of coffee, none of that makes sense in a videogame but is necessary in order to create a virtual loving existence.

This "game" is really an alternate reality that doesn't exist but Chris is happy to sell you a bridge in it. Its mass delusion on a level that dwarfs even religion.

Years ago Eric Peterson unironically referenced "Ready Player One" when discussing the ambition for Star Citizen.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Do the tanks work in space? Can I land one on the outside of my space ship and use it as a manned turret.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

McGiggins posted:

Do the tanks work in space? Can I land one on the outside of my space ship and use it as a manned turret.

Buy a Kraken to find out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao that FOIP demo was worse than anything we imagined or mocked up

It just completely did not work.

Think about the FOIP tech guys on twitter doing laps about "REDDITUSER" saying it was the coolest poo poo, and then THAT is what everybody sees as the demo

:lol:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why the gently caress do they, every time they run a demo, have to go and buy the armour and tools?

Chris, you have shown that poo poo every fucken time, you are just wasting every ones time now. (You have always been wasting the money)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kosumo posted:

Why the gently caress do they, every time they run a demo, have to go and buy the armour and tools?

Chris, you have shown that poo poo every fucken time, you are just wasting every ones time now. (You have always been wasting the money)

Gotta pad the gameplay with the only gameplay you have... shopping.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This desynced clustered gently caress-hole will hit 5 million. I feel embarrassed to have entered my meager of a vote. My hat is off to you Roberts.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Is it going to push the total over 200 million? I can't wait for the news sites to pick up the story and show some of the engaging gameplay displayed here today.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

To show how tactile the world is, maximum tactineciousness

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can tell what an egotist Roberts is by the way he just totally talks over people who are fully mid-sentence. He doesn't even recognize other people exist other than to listen to him.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Let's check out Twitter to see how the mega whales are doing

Errr Clifford that's, hmm .... wow

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Snazzy Frocks posted:

thank you for your efforts of saving the rest of us the trouble of watching the entirety

*finger guns*

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

trucutru posted:

To show how tactile the world is, maximum tactineciousness

Tacticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao that FOIP demo was worse than anything we imagined or mocked up

It just completely did not work.

Think about the FOIP tech guys on twitter doing laps about "REDDITUSER" saying it was the coolest poo poo, and then THAT is what everybody sees as the demo

Yeah it was absolutely hilarious.

Somebody should do a split screen with on the left: the FOIP tweets; on the right: what we've seen in game, that looks completely idiotic.

On a side note, I'll be honnest: I think CIG is well on their way of making a "second-life" sci-fi virtual universe. Assuming they can fix the billions of bugs, glitches and popping issues. But given enough time ( years ) it's possible they could achieve it. Basically, in terms of immersing yourself in a space citizen life, they could succeed.

As a game however, it looks like a trainwreck. Nothing they have shown seems anywhere close to fun. Everything looks stretched, boring and grindy. And if you want to avoid the grind.. pay $$. That alone is a big turnoff.. even if I hadn't backed a space-sim and was into immersive virtual universes.

I guess what I'm trying to say, to be positive for once, is that they might have a shot at making a second-life-like MMO, if they fix all their current technical mess / debt.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 10, 2018