Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trek is one of those properties where you better realize you're Committing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

They would have ruined her too. Remember, Berman wanted the actors playing humans to be walking mannequins so the aliens would "pop" more. Forbes just has too much emotional range for that crap.

It wasn't bad. I liked her a lot in BSG and her role in True Blood was a real gem.

No I don't remember. What's the source for that? It makes a lot of sense though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

No I don't remember. What's the source for that? It makes a lot of sense though.

Interview with Garret Wang

quote:

When casting ended on Voyager, all the actors were invited by executive producer Rick Berman to attend a congratulatory luncheon. It was during this lunch that Berman informed us that he expected all actors portraying human roles to follow his decree. He told us that we were to underplay our human characters. He wanted our line delivery to be as military — and subsequently devoid of emotion — as possible, since this, in his opinion, was the only way to make the aliens look real.

My first thought was, “That’s not right! What the heck was Berman talking about? Was he pulling our legs? The human characters shouldn’t be forced to muffle their emotions. We were human, not androids!”

https://trekmovie.com/2011/06/22/garrett-wang-talks-clashes-with-brannon-braga-rick-berman-lost-opportunity-for-star-trek-voyager-movie/

I think Beltran also mentioned it too in one of his interviews.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Trek is one of those properties where you better realize you're Committing.

Unless you’re Brooks who managed to vanish just as effectively as his character as soon as the series ended.

Weirdly I think this makes me like him even more.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chakotay is a bad character, but Robert Beltran seems like a cool dude who has some valid complaints

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Unless you’re Brooks who managed to vanish just as effectively as his character as soon as the series ended.

Weirdly I think this makes me like him even more.

Avery Brooks was always very up front that he saw Trek as an acting gig, nothing more or less.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cythereal posted:

Avery Brooks was always very up front that he saw Trek as an acting gig, nothing more or less.

Then he lies cause it was also a directing gig

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have no complaints with Brooks as a dude though I still am not into his performance at all. Dude himself seems really cool.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Yeah I know. I've watched some footage of the few conventions he did go to and he sounds and looks incredibly bored and repeats answers across all of them, mostly talking about the pilot (which he did seem to genuinely like the concept of). And it’s like, yeah, if you’re a professor or whatever at a university and don’t actually care about staying in the public eye or that autograph $$$ I can see that being the case.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah I know. I've watched some footage of the few conventions he did go to and he sounds and looks incredibly bored and repeats answers across all of them, mostly talking about the pilot (which he did seem to genuinely like the concept of). And it’s like, yeah, if you’re a professor or whatever at a university and don’t actually care about staying in the public eye or that autograph $$$ I can see that being the case.

Brooks also tends to come across as disdainful of the other Trek alumni who do try to coast on that - see his trolling of Shatner, for example. Brooks by all accounts takes his craft as an actor very seriously and doesn't like dealing with the press. I've seen a few accounts by people who had him as a professor saying he was really smart and knowledgeable, and extremely focused on the art and craft of being an actor, that he was all business and only brought up any of his past acting jobs to provide specific examples during lectures.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Generally I just think it'd be a job personally I'd avoid if I didn't want that lifestyle although frankly he can do whatever the gently caress he wants of course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Then he lies cause it was also a directing gig
He can live with it... he CAN live with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just imagine a student doing his end speech from In The Palr Moonlight.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Spacey was a nobody actor until The Usual Suspects in 1995. (And then he went through the weird phase that Tommy Lee Jones did, and now Liam Neeson, of trying to be an action star.)

Forbes declined because she didn't want to spend nine or ten months out of the year playing pretend on a space station. I believe that was also the time that she was starting to line up her Homicide gig.

Homicide was really really good and a solid 10-20 years ahead of its time. It was so good that no one watched it and NBC still kept it on air.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean I’d equate it to someone who truly loves making music and the art and theory behind it, but pays the bills by writing commercial pop songs. There’s still enjoyment in it, but there’s so much more behind it to that person.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

I have no complaints with Brooks as a dude though I still am not into his performance at all. Dude himself seems really cool.

I like him because I had a Black acting teacher that did stage soliloquies very similarly, like seeing if he could get a burst of saliva to sprinkle the back balcony. He got us all eNUNciATIng and PROJECTING. Hit those plosive consonants like a loving champagne cork popping. Gets me wet just thinking about it now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brawnfire posted:

I like him because I had a Black acting teacher that did stage soliloquies very similarly, like seeing if he could get a burst of saliva to sprinkle the back balcony. He got us all eNUNciATIng and PROJECTING. Hit those plosive consonants like a loving champagne cork popping. Gets me wet just thinking about it now.

I've seen a few black preachers talk the same way. I think it's meant to clearly get emotion across to the back seats in a large theater, who are too far away to grasp subtle performances.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

I heard he taped lectures for his course in between takes - that he did it wearing his uniform. Boy! I'd like to see those!

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

you like DS9 but not sisko? you are original i grant you that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nessus posted:

I heard he taped lectures for his course in between takes - that he did it wearing his uniform. Boy! I'd like to see those!

Well, he would start wearing his uniform, but by the end of it, he'd be down to his undershirt and would ultimately just erase the entire recording.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

I also think Jadzia is a good character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My dear doctor, they’re all good characters

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I just imagine a student doing his end speech from In The Palr Moonlight.

You know how sometimes at cons fans will have Doctors read other Doctors’ speeches? I desperately want someone to hand Shatner and Stewart a bunch of Sisko speeches and just let loose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HD DAD posted:

My dear doctor, they’re all good characters

Even the bad ones?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Even the bad ones?

Especially the bad ones. Except Bareil.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bariel's not a bad character.

Bariel is barely a character at all.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bareil is the LaCroix of personalities

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lol but seriously I posted:

she loves the cardies but only the weird rapey ones

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So the cardies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Didn't know Chief O'Brien was a goon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

So the cardies.

Fukkin spacism itt

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Coconut Bariel is criminally underrated and has a very bad rep

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Delicious and refreshing, but maligned by people for getting popular too quickly?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Bariel is the unflavored grocery-store brand “tonic water” of people

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Fukkin spacism itt

Next someone will say the K-word

Kling-ots

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

Next someone will say the K-word

Kling-ots

Let me tell you something about Kling-ots, Archer. They're a violent, bloodthirsty people, as long as their enemies are plentiful and their bat'leths are sharp. But give them some creature comforts—feed them well, let them rest, clean them up, and provide a hostility-free environment over an extended period of time—and those same bloodthirsty, nasty, violent people... will become as wonderful and friendly as the most intelligent hew-mon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

she loves the cardies but only the weird rapey ones

wtf no I like all of them. ghemor's adorable.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Powered Descent posted:

Another yeoman has finally been reduced to a cube and crushed.

Celeste Yarnall, who portrayed Yeoman Landon, dead at 74.
https://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2018/10/star-trek-actress-and-elvis-presley-co-star-dead-at-74/

As always, the news stories all give top billing to the one Star Trek guest spot she did more than fifty years ago. I guess that's the price you pay for a lifetime of being able to get convention gigs whenever you want...

Aw man, Landon was the one who dropped that fuckin' sick Yakuza Kick on a native in The Apple.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Didn't know Chief O'Brien was a goon.

Chief O'Brien got promoted once in 14 years, routinely ignores his wife and kids so he can play wargames with his friend on the computer, doesn't have a lot in the way of social skills and tends to shout his mouth off, and routinely gets himself in situations where all sorts of crazy and ultimately traumatic stuff happens to him.

Chief O'Brien is the uber-goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Voyager pilot live blog, 39 minutes in:
Wtf is this Deliverance poo poo?