Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Follow-up by op:

"Unfortunately were in no financial situation to pay out to a lawyer. Were expecting our daughter in a couple of weeks. Talked to my mother and she suggested to just let it go. Can't and don't really want to take over the house and can't spend thousand of dollars on lawyer fees."

Decisionmaking this bad should gently caress you over, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
That is very bad. The only good news is that they can contest a quit claim deed if it was made under a fraudulent pretense or with no consideration. Unfortunately they're going to need a lawyer and it doesn't sound like they can afford one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

My wife is on a mortgage from a previous relationship and we don't know what to do.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9n3yya/my_wife_is_on_a_mortgage_from_a_previous/

Yikes!

Is there any legal recourse when someone intentionally misleads you on the nature of the document you're signing? As always it's best to blame the victim, but a case could be made that the mortgage company has some responsibility here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

My wife is on a mortgage from a previous relationship and we don't know what to do.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9n3yya/my_wife_is_on_a_mortgage_from_a_previous/

Oh god the comments:

Unfortunately were in no financial situation to pay out to a lawyer. Were expecting our daughter in a couple of weeks. Talked to my mother and she suggested to just let it go. Can't and don't really want to take over the house and can't spend thousand of dollars on lawyer fees.

E: beaten, but holy poo poo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think they're hosed. Apparently this happened some time ago, and OP doesn't realize that you can't really 'not afford' a lawyer when the alternative is being on the hook for someone else's mortgage. Apparently the ex-boyfriend is also a spiteful rear end who'd "rather watch it burn" than give up the house, so I have no idea why OP didn't go through any paperwork involving that dude with a really fine comb.

Woke: can't spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer (they'd probably get a free first consultation, but hey whatever.)
Broke: just let it go and declare bankruptcy (enjoy your no credit) or pay for a house that's not yours and that you have no claim to

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
loving lol, wait until the bank finds out she doesn't have any interest in the property but she has a mortgage that requires it for security. I'm sure this BWM can get worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I wish I was making this comment up

quote:

will bankruptcy affect my credit?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lockback posted:

I wish I was making this comment up
Thaaat's a thread title right there

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
"So I just talked to her and the idea behind signing the quick claim was 2 step process. First sign the quick claim. Second get her name off the mortgage. Apparently it was required to take the name off the deed before it could be taken of the mortgage. After the quick claim was signed, the ex stopped talking to her and laughed about it. But your right we need to explore all our options."

jesus christ, I do not envy this guy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This thread truly is worth the :10bux: on its own.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I would use that post in court as proof that they had no idea what they were signing. They keep calling it a quick claim, for crying out loud.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

quote:

IANAL too, but wouldn't filing for bankruptcy hurt her credit anyways? and I'll keep it updated!

Hmmm, yes, I much rather pay hundreds of thousands for a house that I gave away any claim to rather than taking a hit to my credit. I am very smart

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I would use that post in court as proof that they had no idea what they were signing. They keep calling it a quick claim, for crying out loud.

The quit claim was a quick claim for her ex.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Random thing I assume is BWM I keep seeing ads around for: Build to sell houses. Like I keep seeing ads which look to be from builders on empty lots. This isn't some special super hot market either, it's loving Cleveland. This has to be a sucker's trap, right?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Random thing I assume is BWM I keep seeing ads around for: Build to sell houses. Like I keep seeing ads which look to be from builders on empty lots. This isn't some special super hot market either, it's loving Cleveland. This has to be a sucker's trap, right?

It's free real estate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

The mistake on the lake keeping up with it's moniker.

Sounds like small time builders looking for financing/suckers to take on the risk.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh god the comments:

Unfortunately were in no financial situation to pay out to a lawyer. Were expecting our daughter in a couple of weeks. Talked to my mother and she suggested to just let it go. Can't and don't really want to take over the house and can't spend thousand of dollars on lawyer fees.

E: beaten, but holy poo poo

As a lawyer coworker of mine was fond of saying: "frequently, the only thing more expensive than getting an attorney is not getting an attorney."

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

wilderthanmild posted:

That's even funnier when you see the Eastern suburbs building cookie cutter homes like mad and many of them having unit sit vacant for the last few years. It's northern Ohio no one wants to move here and can afford a 200k house on what people are getting paid. There's a 2 condo developments by me in the Eastern part of lake county that have had open units in them for years and are largely half filled.

I've seen a few of the signs you're talking about, I think what those are about is someone that owns the land getting a deal with a home builder to make the lot come with a made to build house on closing. But the jokes on you because it's a Ryan home and oh holy gently caress they are bad.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 11, 2018

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is always the real cheap rental car whose sole purpose is to be so unattractive that it immediately makes you want the next costlier model.

I cannot believe people in this thread haven’t rented those cars. I rented a Dodge Caliber in 2010 that lacked power locks and had crank windows. It was Vegas, so no one was rolling down windows, but you do not realize how important power locks are until you are driving 4 people and you have to walk around and lock every door on the car one-by-one.

There was a time not long ago where that was just how cars worked.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

n8r posted:

That's right, and if you have four people in the car, you tell them to lock the door as they get out, not walk around and lock them individually :psyduck:

Was the OP one of those "there must be a better way" exaggerated fuckups or something?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

please knock Mom! posted:

"So I just talked to her and the idea behind signing the quick claim was 2 step process. First sign the quick claim. Second get her name off the mortgage. Apparently it was required to take the name off the deed before it could be taken of the mortgage. After the quick claim was signed, the ex stopped talking to her and laughed about it. But your right we need to explore all our options."

That's just amazing. I'm siding with the rear end in a top hat ex, he is clearly great with money.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Panfilo posted:

I had bought a Ford Focus that didn't have air conditioning, because at the time I had assumed all post 2000 model cars would have it. But there are definitely stock, bare bones trim variants that don't even have A/C, I'm assuming they are intended as fleet vehicles to be as cheap and maintenance friendly as possible.

My mom bought a new car a few months ago (at 12% interest :bang: ) that doesn't have power windows or locks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

n8r posted:

that time was rad

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

That's right, and if you have four people in the car, you tell them to lock the door as they get out, not walk around and lock them individually :psyduck:

Was the OP one of those "there must be a better way" exaggerated fuckups or something?

I was the dumbass who rented a Dodge Caliber. No one was going to help me avoid my manual-door-lock shame. Also the car lacked power anything, but had a refrigerated glove box because why not.

At this stage it probably costs automakers more to install crank windows since you have to source/support that many more parts for a tiny number of cars. I think they’re just meant to draw in people who want the absolute cheapest car, but who you can up-sell to a better trim once you’ve got them on the dealer lot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

wilderthanmild posted:

In the Seattle area there are many hand made signs seeking a real estate trainee, and promising up to $10k a month. I want an investigative podcast to follow up and find out what happens.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In the Seattle area there are many hand made signs seeking a real estate trainee, and promising up to $10k a month. I want an investigative podcast to follow up and find out what happens.

It’s piecework for making more signs, you’ve got to write pretty fast to hit 10k tho.

They’re mass produced.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think this guy has a plan

Why should I care about credit score?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9n8cyy/why_should_i_care_about_credit_score/

quote:

No really? Why should I care? Can't I just avoid doing business with anyone who cares about my credit score? I'm 22 and I don't want to live the rest of my life caring about it. I haven't found a compelling reason yet that doesn't also consider that I won't do business with anyone who judges credit score.

And yes, in the comments he mentions he is thinking of racking up credit card debt and not paying it back.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If you call you get a robo-message telling you to go to a seminar where they aggressively push a "real estate education" package on you.
http://www.martinpi.com/scam-the-hand-written-real-estate-investor-trainee-signs/

They also sell your phone number to other scams.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lockback posted:

I think this guy has a plan

Why should I care about credit score?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9n8cyy/why_should_i_care_about_credit_score/

And yes, in the comments he mentions he is thinking of racking up credit card debt and not paying it back.

Hahah, this guy is great:

quote:

i mean maybe this is wishful thinking but if somebody cares about my score, cant i just move on and find someone who wont care that offers me the same thing? or cant i just speak to a mortgage broker for instance in person and talk and negotiate how credit scores shouldn't be a factor?

He isn't exactly wrong - it's just that 'moving on' is going to mean 'finding someone who will take a cash payment up front', instead of just giving you the benefits of a loan without any of the normal requirements or diligence. I'm sure an earnest talk with a lender will help them see the lie underpinning their entire model.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The smart way to do this would to build excellent credit and obtain many cards with high limits, then rack up a shitload of debt and not pay.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

What you do is buy a house and a car first and then your credit after that literally doesn’t matter at all.

You can stiff anyone you want after that. What are you gonna do buy another house?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hello, I need a car that will last me, oh I dunno, 60 years?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's why you buy a horse. You may not know this, but you can use your horse to make more horses! Renewable transport you can never exhaust! Except when you actually exhaust one, by making it run too much.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

The smart way to do this would to build excellent credit and obtain many cards with high limits, then rack up a shitload of debt and not pay.

That's what my dad ended up doing! He lost his job in the recession, we ended up losing our house, and he just said gently caress it and travelled around the country in his van. He paid for everything with his credit cards (he was fairly financially responsible before all this but really couldn't save for poo poo) and then paid off the credit cards with other credit cards each month. He ended up dying of like all the cancer two years later too so he never hit his limit.

So I guess being a cancerous van hobo is GWM?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hello, I need a car that will last me, oh I dunno, 60 years?

No, just 84 months.

Unless it’s student loans then yeah, 60 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OP is good enough to money to ask, but hearing the pitches for scams is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Are my brother and sister-in-law being reeled into a piramid scheme?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9nb36i/are_my_brother_and_sisterinlaw_being_reeled_into/

quote:

My brother knows I'm into being financially responsible. I save, I have an emergency fund, etcetera. A few weeks ago he tells me about this lecture or seminar that he's going to.

Immediately the premise sounded too good to be true. So it probably was. I told him this and said I wouldn't attend. They, however, did.

Today he's telling me about it pretty enthusiastically. Basically they require him to buy a piece of software for 500 euros and then he's in. This software is supposed to "buy and trade currencies" or something. It was rather vague. I tell him that it sounds like a bitcoin miner, and he admits that the lecturer even compared it to that. I tell him bitcoin miners don't turn a profit unless you steal electricity somehow, and even then it's marginal.

Anyway, his next point is that as soon as he convinces 5 other people to sign on, his 500 euros are reimbursed.

This is where the red flags started popping. Am I being paranoid?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
BWM, not bothering to ensure that your $25 purchase isn't actually $2500:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9n06y5/i_purchased_a_painting_from_an_art_gallery_for/ posted:

A gentlemen in the store said it is originally "85" but he can give it to me for "25". I thought that was a great deal, I wouldn't have paid $85 for it, but $25 sure. I came back the next day to purchase it and a different sales rep was there, but I told him my quoted price was "25". I went and proceeded to make the purchase with my credit card. I never signed anything, and it was never once told to me transparently this painting was 25 HUNDRED!

I found out yesterday when I checked my credit card statements.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Lockback posted:

OP is good enough to money to ask, but hearing the pitches for scams is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Are my brother and sister-in-law being reeled into a piramid scheme?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9nb36i/are_my_brother_and_sisterinlaw_being_reeled_into/
Not even dumb to realize that it is not crypto, but rather currency speculation, which is also a popular pasttime.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Elysium posted:

All the best scams involve both parties thinking "I am taking ALL this fool's money!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Elysium posted:

A $2500 print, seems legit.