Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arthil posted:

Are you incapable of making a post without sounding like an overly aggressive rear end?

Absolutely. But when you're dealing with someone so dense they could block a detect thoughts spell who has been making GBS threads up the thread for years with their stupidity, your patience runs out a bit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

Encounter levels, I think that is what they are called... the ones at the bottom that seem to go up to 23 at the most.

The Challenge Rating? It's basically just a really basic indicator of the Monsters Strength. Higher the Stronger. The only real advice with them, is to be careful with using Monsters with a Higher Challenge then the Parties level. As they may not have the tools to deal with them before then, or it risks the death of a PC. (Given Examples. Ogre vs level 1 party. He is Challenge 2 and beatable by a Level 1 party. But he is also strong enough to one shot a level 1 character. The other example is the Challenge 13 Rakshasa who can't be affected by 6th level or lower spells, so party that has not reached level 13 yet won't be able to affect him with magic.)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

What's a diviner cleric?

Diviner wizard* phone posting and I'm dumb

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To try and help you Josef. Here are the Xanathar's encounter building rules in full.

(Nah.)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 14, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pollyanna posted:

That’s the other interpretation of the book, which I expected to result in arguing at the table and players feeling cheated. I think the gap between “what the player wants to do” and “what the GM will let that player do” is what explicit spells are supposed to bridge.

That's not a unique problem to mages, a fighter could make the same justification, just jump up, grab the sun, and smash it into the earth especially with players more familiar with anime and videogames. Also social checks are basically this anyway. Does it only take a good roll to convince a king to give up all of his wealth and land just because a player asked? Mediation is part of the game, i don't see why it would be a problem to extend that to magic.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

kidkissinger posted:

Diviner wizard* phone posting and I'm dumb

Haste + Holy Weapon the Ranger and hope he can do the trick, with the backup plan of trying to burn through the Legendary Resistance so the Diviner can nail him with a hard CC.

At the very least you'll have Death Wards on everyone to deal with the big dick damage spells, but asscrack can still take people out of the fight easily with Maze and Planeshift.

Honestly, you're kind of screwed.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

Absolutely. But when you're dealing with someone so dense they could block a detect thoughts spell who has been making GBS threads up the thread for years with their stupidity, your patience runs out a bit.

dude your comin off really aggressive and weird

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

Haste + Holy Weapon the Ranger and hope he can do the trick, with the backup plan of trying to burn through the Legendary Resistance so the Diviner can nail him with a hard CC.

At the very least you'll have Death Wards on everyone to deal with the big dick damage spells, but asscrack can still take people out of the fight easily with Maze and Planeshift.

Honestly, you're kind of screwed.

I wish I could do globe of invulnerabity AND haste at the same time. :(

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Monster Cooking Rules second draft

Thoughts?

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 11, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arthil posted:

Are you incapable of making a post without sounding like an overly aggressive rear end?

Imagine a mouth screaming MEARRRRLLLLSSSSS!!! at the uncaring heavens, forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dreadmojo posted:

Imagine a mouth screaming MEARRRRLLLLSSSSS!!! at the uncaring heavens, forever.

Honestly it's the fact that doing so does not help or add anything that makes me comment on it. Like if you are going to complain about a person, do it to the actual person even if they ignore you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

This is funny and slightly uncomfortable and too impactful to not turn your campaign into Toriko/Dungeon Meshi, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Four burgers ground from sentient beings out of five.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lightrook posted:

This is funny and slightly uncomfortable and too impactful to not turn your campaign into Toriko/Dungeon Meshi, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Four burgers ground from sentient beings out of five.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to turn a campaign into Dungeon Meshi

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

For the most part, Toriko does not try to eat sentient animals.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Someone in my group bought this for a laugh and it had more in-depth recipes for cooking different monsters if anyone's looking for crunchy cooking rules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here are the Xanathar's encounter building rules in full.

I do like how close I got to predicting this over a year prior

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh from the New Dragon+ Yugoloth related Magic Items.
http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/22/DRA22_TreasuresYugoloths.pdf

Yeah it's pretty impressive.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 11, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh nice.

Is there a directory of Dragon+ stuff somewhere?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tetracube posted:

Oh nice.

Is there a directory of Dragon+ stuff somewhere?

Well there is the site itself. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/articles/106375

But I don't know of a thing that lists all the actual extra material. I do remember a few extra things fromm it however. Like Belaphoss, The Sword Fedifensor and Vlaakith the Lich Queen.

The Original Magazine entry Fedifensor came from http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor.pdf
And the Sword Updated for 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor2.pdf

Vlaakith the Lich Queen 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_LichQueen2.pdf

Belaphoss https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Demonomicon%20of%20Iggwilv%20-%20Belaphoss.pdf

These are just the ones I remember.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well there is the site itself. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/articles/106375

But I don't know of a thing that lists all the actual extra material. I do remember a few extra things fromm it however. Like Belaphoss, The Sword Fedifensor and Vlaakith the Lich Queen.

The Original Magazine entry Fedifensor came from http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor.pdf
And the Sword Updated for 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor2.pdf

Vlaakith the Lich Queen 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_LichQueen2.pdf

Belaphoss https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Demonomicon%20of%20Iggwilv%20-%20Belaphoss.pdf

These are just the ones I remember.

Ooh, might use the Vlaakith one. Thx

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tetracube posted:

Ooh, might use the Vlaakith one. Thx

Vlaakith's 3.5 entry from the Lich Queen's beloved was also included there. http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_LichQueen.pdf Along with the 4e Article about adapting it. http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_191_Adapt_LichQueen.pdf

Anyway happy to help.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

It's almost like there are methods of design which, when applied by different people, will yield similar results! Design methodology must be a new thing for Wiz.

Having seen Mearls run a live stream where he designed a new class I... have a feeling that 'process' might be something of a dirty word.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Sion posted:

Having seen Mearls run a live stream where he designed a new class I... have a feeling that 'process' might be something of a dirty word.

What happened? I'm thinking of that live character creation for "Overkill" by Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I did some math, and if we haste our dual-weilding Lizardman and holy weapon both his weapons via the Divine soul sorcerer AND the cleric hits the Target with Contagion (flesh rot) the cleric will be doing 48 dmg for five attacks.

This seems like it should melt any lich we come across.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Don't use Contagion.

quote:

Do contagion effects kick in immediately, or do they kick in when the target fails the three saving throws? The effects of the contagion spell's disease are meant to activate after three failed saving throws.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 11, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Why did they write it in a way that suggests the opposite.

Lame.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

kidkissinger posted:

Why did they write it in a way that suggests the opposite.

Lame.

Because they originally wanted it to be the opposite but now are issuing errata disguised as clarification. See the Shield Mastery feat for a similar backtracking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Piell posted:

Because they originally wanted it to be the opposite but now are issuing errata disguised as clarification. See the Shield Mastery feat for a similar backtracking.

For Contagion, it came off to me that they did want it to work the way it was ruled but it's just really, really poorly worded. Could be wrong, that's just the impression I get because of how weird the spell is.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Magil Zeal posted:

For Contagion, it came off to me that they did want it to work the way it was ruled but it's just really, really poorly worded. Could be wrong, that's just the impression I get because of how weird the spell is.

It's a bummer because now it goes from being a good use of a 5th level spell slot to completely useless.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's a decent spell for enemies to use on the party. Cause if even they win, there is a chance they will catch the disease. But yeah not a great PC spell.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Then it should be a creature ability and not a Player facing spell.

And no, going on about how Mike is just an ideas guy and plum can't break from his 30 year bad design habits doesn't make it okay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razorwired posted:

Then it should be a creature ability and not a Player facing spell.

And no, going on about how Mike is just an ideas guy and plum can't break from his 30 year bad design habits doesn't make it okay.

I just said it's not a great player spell. There are a fair number of spells that are not great.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just said it's not a great player spell. There are a fair number of spells that are not great.

This is because of poor design.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are a fair number of spells that are not great.
That is bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I know that. Thats why I said it's not great.

It's positive is that it's a decent spell for enemy casters. But the ideal would be that works for both players and NPC's.

But probably the worst spell I can think of is Mordenkainen's Sword. The reason why it's bad can be shown by comparing it to the second level spell Spiritual weapon.

quote:

Mordenkainen's Sword
7th-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a miniature platinum sword with a grip and pommel of copper and zinc, worth 250 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a sword-shaped plane of force that hovers within range. It lasts for the duration. When the sword appears, you make a melee spell attack against a target of your choice within 5 feet of the sword. On a hit. the target takes 3d10 force damage. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your turns to move the sword up to 20 feet to a spot you can see and repeat this attack against the same target or a different one.

VS

quote:

Spiritual Weapon
2nd-level evocation
Casting Time 1 bonus action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V S
Duration: 1 minute

You create a floating weapon that lasts for the duration or until you cast this spell again. It can take any form you choose. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 force damage + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on each of your turns, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

At Higher Levels: The damage increases by 1d8 for every two slot levels above the 2nd.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 11, 2018

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know that. Thats why I said it's not great.

It's positive is that it's a decent spell for enemy casters. But the ideal would be that works for both players and NPC's.

But probably the worst spell I can think of is Mordenkainen's Sword. The reason why it's bad can be shown by comparing it to the second level spell Spiritual weapon.

VS

So 3d10 using action + bonus to move sword at 7th slot and concentration vs 3d8+modifier at 6th level slot with no concentration and move + attack as a single bonus action... Wow I never realized how much better SW was. I got distracted by the giant sword part, but spiritual weapon is also a giant spectral sword.

Edit: though I guess it's made a bit better by the fact that you just need to use bonus action afterwards to attack, but being concentration and higher spell level means it still loses. However, unless you're multiclassing, I can't think of a class besides bard who would even have access to both spells, so it's not a real choice you're making to use one spell vs the other beyond what class you picked.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 12, 2018

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

So 3d10 using action + bonus to move sword at 7th slot and concentration vs 3d8+modifier at 6th level slot with no concentration and move + attack asba single bonus action... Wow I never realized how much better SW was. I got distracted by the giant sword part, but spiritual weapon is also a giant spectral sword.

Or a giant pair of spectral fists, if you worship a deity who prefers the art of punching.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
You can technically make two attacks on the turn you summon it (one as part of your action when you summon it and one with your bonus action) for 6d10, which makes it a little bit less poo poo, but for that level spell slot it's definitely not worth it.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

In It For The Tank posted:

You can technically make two attacks on the turn you summon it (one as part of your action when you summon it and one with your bonus action) for 6d10, which makes it a little bit less poo poo, but for that level spell slot it's definitely not worth it.

I'm not even sure if that argument actually works, since the cleric only spends a bonus action to cast Spiritual Weapon and still has their action to make an attack or cast another spell or something.

I guess when when the best spells are meant to be balanced by concentration, the mediocre ones become godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CeallaSo posted:

Or a giant pair of spectral fists, if you worship a deity who prefers the art of punching.
My cleric has a fist made of stone and used a single fist as his spiritual weapon, then got a boon from another god for second one and I let him cast spells from it.