Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

suck my woke dick posted:

:agreed:

May and to an even larger extent the eurosceptic wing of her party (plus millions of empire-nostalgic nationalists) are convinced that the EU is so critically dependent on Britain that reiterating demands loudly enough will get every other EU member to fold.

At this point, i think its just to get a rise out of a EU big wig, like there's 50/50 chance a drunken Junker will call them a spoiled brat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He'd be right.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

In some good news for once, ebooks will be cheaper:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-tax-ebooks/eu-agrees-on-lower-sales-tax-for-e-books-online-papers-idUSKCN1MC0UH

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://metooep.com

Unsurprisingly, the EP is poo poo. I've heard far too many stories, especially from younger women, about old, entitled white men. It's poo poo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Took me a long time to realize EP stood for Euro Parliament and not Extended Play.

Not surprised at all to hear it has sexism problems, and I've also read a pretty long and interesting read from the Guardian about how the lack of census on the base of the ethnicity and race in most EU countries is used as an excuse to avoid having to represent the makeup of the various countries that compose it.

Or, to put it more simply, the Euro Parliament is really loving white and racist and does not want to change.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Took me a long time to realize EP stood for Euro Parliament and not Extended Play.

Not surprised at all to hear it has sexism problems, and I've also read a pretty long and interesting read from the Guardian about how the lack of census on the base of the ethnicity and race in most EU countries is used as an excuse to avoid having to represent the makeup of the various countries that compose it.

Or, to put it more simply, the Euro Parliament is really loving white and racist and does not want to change.

From all I hear they're totally opaque and have next to zero oversight, I'm not surprised.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is true of all European parliaments to be fair. There's the occasional token minority but it's old white men for the most part.

Though European countries also don't have ethnic minorities of anywhere near the same size (or order of magnitude for some countries, even) as the US.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say there'd be nothing funnier than cross-EU election campaigns.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Though European countries also don't have ethnic minorities of anywhere near the same size (or order of magnitude for some countries, even) as the US.

Some do, some don't. IRC France's Arab minority should be around the same relative size as the US black minority. Other countries are white hell.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say there'd be nothing funnier than cross-EU election campaigns.

Same way it would be funny to see a Congressman from Alabama campaign in California for his seat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Some do, some don't. IRC France's Arab minority should be around the same relative size as the US black minority.

12% to 13%? Nah. The most recent estimates are a bit over 3 million people from the Maghreb, so about 5.2%.

https://www.afrik.com/les-personnes-originaires-d-afrique-des-dom-tom-et-de-la-turquie-sont-55-millions-dans-l-hexagone

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

12% to 13%? Nah. The most recent estimates are a bit over 3 million people from the Maghreb, so about 5.2%.

The UK is 14% not white (that's about 2/3rds people of Asian descent, mostly from the Indian subcontinent, 1/3rd black from either the Caribbean or Africa).

Not, of course, that this is going to help with the diversity of the European Parliament going forward :ohdear:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 10, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

The UK is 14% not white (that's about 2/3rds people of Asian descent, mostly from the Indian subcontinent, 1/3rd black from either the Caribbean or Africa).

Not, of course, that this is going to help with the diversity of the European Parliament going forward :ohdear:

Yeah the UK is the most ethnically diverse country in the EU, not counting "native" ethnicities. Still 14% is nothing on America, which is IIRC around ~40% not white.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
France is in the ballpark of 10% if you add people of East and South-East Asian descent (for some reason that study apparently didn't include them? It's like one million people).

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Surprised to hear that the continent of Europe is very white!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, I don't think there's an inherent value in having a diverse population, it is just a result of migratory processes and historical circumstances. But there is definitely a negative value to not representing your own minorities in your political organs, especially on a European level, and especially when those same organs are supposed to make decisions concerning racial issues.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.afrik.com/les-personnes-originaires-d-afrique-des-dom-tom-et-de-la-turquie-sont-55-millions-dans-l-hexagone

Wikipedia puts the number at 6 mio in 2008(with a dead linked source) but one of their sources quotes the Institut Montaigne in 2004 with a number of 5.5 mio of North African decent. I guess the numbers are pretty controversial in France?

Private Speech posted:

America, which is IIRC around ~40% not white.

This doesn't mean anything though because white isn't an ethnicity. If you go by the same arbitrary bullshit metric Europe can be anything between 0.01% and 99.9% "white", depending on who you ask on the street. Like, a Russian in Germany is just a dirty foreigner. There is no real white identity.

If you go by immigration then ~25% of Germans today have an immigrant background (parents or self immigrated to Germany). Knowing Germany's piss poor integration ability every single one of them is still some kind of ethnic minority a generation later.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This doesn't mean anything though because white isn't an ethnicity. If you go by the same arbitrary bullshit metric Europe can be anything between 0.01% and 99.9% "white", depending on who you ask on the street. Like, a Russian in Germany is just a dirty foreigner. There is no real white identity.

I can't speak for Germany specifically, I'm not German (are you?) but no-one in the UK is going to say Russians aren't white people. This isn't 1930 and the wogs do not begin at Calais.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I can't speak for Germany specifically, I'm not German (are you?) but no-one in the UK is going to say Russians aren't white people. This isn't 1930 and the wogs do not begin at Calais.

No one is going to say that in Germany either because "white" isn't used in the German language, except as an anglicism to refer to an American issue. You are either a Deutscher or you are Italiener or Russe or Franzose or whatever.

Nu-Nazis like the AfD try to appeal to a common Christian& European identity, but that's not whiteness either and it's really not very common outside anti-Muslim and anti-African hatemongering. A Russe is just a Russe and you can't be German if your are already a Russe. (You can be a German citizen though, but that's something else entirely for most people.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

feedmegin posted:

The question is whether that counts for much. Like, just because they see you as white doesn't mean a lot of other whites don't still want to kick you out for being a dirty foreigner. White in America is essentially an ethnicity, so the equivalent in Europe is the majority ethnicity of each country.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Europeans have spent thousands of years crafting arbitrary ethnic definitions so that they can classify their neighbours as dirty subhumans. Its only Americans that rely on something as simplistic as "skin tone".

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

No one is going to say that in Germany either because "white" isn't used in the German language, except as an anglicism to refer to an American issue.

This is something I can never get Americans to wrap their head around. Racism is probably even worse in Europe than in the US but it's not only about skin tone, Poles get treated like poo poo in Holland for example although you can't physically tell the difference.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

This is something I can never get Americans to wrap their head around.

That's kinda odd because the USA used to be pretty much the same, with "No Irish Need Apply" and the KKK in northern states (like Maine) being more hostile to the Catholics than to Black people. Let's never forget the Franklin quote about swarthy Swedes, either.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blut posted:

Europeans have spent thousands of years crafting arbitrary ethnic definitions so that they can classify their neighbours as dirty subhumans. Its only Americans that rely on something as simplistic as "skin tone".

"Skin tone" is shorthand for what used to be more arbitrary separations of the underclasses to keep them at each other's throats instead of going after their common problems.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, iirc there was a point where irish immigrants were effectively considered in similar social strata as people of color in the usa

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

double nine posted:

yeah, iirc there was a point where irish immigrants were effectively considered in similar social strata as people of color in the usa

there are colors other than black, is the thing everoneforgets

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

There is nothing European "white people" hate more than other European "white people".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

afaik this is something that has been largely blown out of proportion by the current "Irish" Americans who want to embellish their historical cred. They weren't the most privileged people around, but come on. You never hear German Americans talking about their terrible historical suffering in the US despite being pretty much in the same position as the Irish.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 10, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

afaik this is something that has been largely blown out of proportion by the current "Irish" Americans who want to embellish their historical cred. They weren't the most privileged people around, but come on. You never hear German Americans talking about their terrible historical suffering in the US despite being pretty much in the same position as the Irish.

There's been a lot of revisionism about anti-Irish discrimination, with prestigious historians claiming it never happened, that it was a myth created by these dumb lazy Irishmen thugs, and that anyone who says otherwise must be Irish themselves.

Because of that, I wouldn't recommend you to claim that it's something that's been blown out of proportion.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cat Mattress posted:

There's been a lot of revisionism about anti-Irish discrimination, with prestigious historians claiming it never happened, that it was a myth created by these dumb lazy Irishmen thugs, and that anyone who says otherwise must be Irish themselves.

Because of that, I wouldn't recommend you to claim that it's something that's been blown out of proportion.

Did you know the Irish were slaves just like Africans??

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

double nine posted:

for more info: look up the know-nothing party

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shibawanko posted:

This is something I can never get Americans to wrap their head around. Racism is probably even worse in Europe than in the US but it's not only about skin tone, Poles get treated like poo poo in Holland for example although you can't physically tell the difference.

No we have that, it's what being racist against Hispanics at large is about + why there was lobbying through the middle of last century in the first place to name and track that shared identity that was being discriminated against from various separate origin country based groups - primarily Mexican and Puerto Rican.

Cat Mattress posted:

I mean, the Irish discrimination was ported right over from the UK in the first place, just as the colonists were.

Also the perception of the Irish as naturally thuggish is what led to the massive abundance of Irish cops in the late 19th century century and the 20th century - before they had been explicitly barred from being on the police forces in the cities because of their reputation, and they sought to both represent themselves as "lawful" and make sure anti-Irish bigotry among the police forces would be blocked by numbers. (Not that they particularly cared if the police forces were hard on any other ethnicity, naturally).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Looking forward to donating for starving children in post-Brexit Britain, or I would (donate, that is) if all the money wouldn't be siphoned off into the pockets of some Tory warlord.

I've been to the national museum in Budapest and their take on second world war was pretty much "Horthy didn't want to ally with those mean Nazis but was forced to because only they would allow him to "renegotiate" the Treaty of Trianon (read: annex large swathes of their neighbours territory)".

Horthy was like a stupider more willing Lando Calrissian in Empire. He thought he was a cool smart shaker and mover warming up that Hitler fellow.
Like "Hey guys check it out, this Hitler guy is going places and yours truly is making nice.", and yeah thinking he could reverse Trianon stuff was def part of that.
But then the Nazis slowly and surely started taking little and little bit more of Hungarian independence, until eventually they were straight up hapless puppets.

The ahem, deal kept changing all the time. And by the end Horthy was all "oh god who could have seen this coming :qq:". And when he finally caused too much trouble the Nazis forced his rear end out of power.

He was a LOT better than some of the other regional quislings, but lol at making a deal with the devil and being shocked at the result.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

steinrokkan posted:

It is overblown, but Germans never really had that level of experience (unless you count WW1 paranoia). The Germans in America historically came over and moved out to further and further farmlands, an experience that didn't lead to the same stress and trauma the Irish had as poors packed into urban misery zones, not so far from the raised noses of the wasps. The Irish basically had all the same stereotypes in the later 1800's that latinos do now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you also had the great awakening ii happening around the same time, a protestant resurgence of religion and temperance and being godly. the irish were basically an easy other for those idiots to point at, given their catholicism and stereotype of alcoholism, which has basically existed forever. certainly didn’t help matters, especially considering how many irish stayed along the east coast

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Irish Catholic immigration was also very small during the colonial period and the early republic, while German immigration was a steady stream from nearly the start of viable English/Dutch colonization efforts. Various Germans were also tagging along with the minor colonist powers like the Swedes on the Delaware. It was not uncommon during the revolution times for people to be half-serious about running the new country in German, so as to better spite the King - the German press was already pretty big and home use of German being common enough in major areas. And those two traits as mentioned stuck around very well until World War I made that look uncouth.

Protestant Irish immigration generally avoided calling itself Irish, and their descendants today are way less likely to mark themselves as Irish if you ask their ethnicity. And they had immigrated much more in the colonial era and generally were not considered a problem by the English et al in America.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fishmech posted:

It was not uncommon during the revolution times for people to be half-serious about running the new country in German, so as to better spite the King

"Let's all start speaking German. That will really piss off that drat English King, Georg III Wilhelm Friedrich von Hannover, Kurfürst von Braunschweig-Lüneburg!"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Looks like Timmermans is tossing his hat in the ring for the S&D Spitzenkandidat.

He'd be a hell of a lot better than Juncker, though that is a low low bar.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

"Let's all start speaking German. That will really piss off that drat English King, Georg III Wilhelm Friedrich von Hannover, Kurfürst von Braunschweig-Lüneburg!"

how senile was george at the beginning of the rebellion? from what i know from school, which i am wary to trust because lol a southern state’s curriculum, he was still largely there

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

One factor is that, more recently, the history of Irish oppression in the US has been instrumentalised by some to try to downplay the effects of Black oppression. Rhetoric along the lines of "Irish people were treated just as bad as black people back then, but they're doing just fine now! So clearly it's the fault of black people that they're doing poorly nowadays!" and that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

As Marxist-Jezzinist alluded to, there are a bunch of people out there who straight up claim that Irish-Americans were enslaved.

That's fairly blown out of proportion, I think.