Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So the architects who designed the DevOps ecosystem I deal with apparently never discussed the matter with the Ops team that owns the environment. We just got told that they won’t integrate puppet agents into server builds and that we couldn’t use Bladelogic anymore to do the deed as they “don’t get involved on the application level”. Meanwhile I have 400 servers that a billion dollar program sure is expecting to have them done very soon. Some poor bastard is going to be having a very bad day soon and I don’t know if it’s going to be the architect or the ops guy.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Ansible is agentless, if you can ssh into those servers it's where I would recommend starting.

e: or winrm

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If they have the privileges. Given the described level of disfunction, we can't take that for granted.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Suffice it to say we don’t and are federally prohibited from having any. The entire thing is run by a team of less than a dozen and they still create Linux boxes by putting a disk in a tray.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Give me the billion dollars. I promise to at least set up PXE boot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Warbird posted:

Suffice it to say we don’t and are federally prohibited from having any. The entire thing is run by a team of less than a dozen and they still create Linux boxes by putting a disk in a tray.

Are you sure linux is safe maybe you should use HP-UX, the vendor supported os

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Most of the platforms out there have some form of a hook that can run stuff at boot and almost everything out there has some form of agents to work with stuff at an OS level (part of why security folks get so antsy about all these different layers - it's a ton of places to inject in commands). VMware has agents that can run commands on guest OSes as long as you're running the VMware Guest agent, for example. UserData constructs exist also in OpenStack. PXEBoot and TFTPboot are possible options but if you're getting there, you're now into "we're gonna bootstrap like it's 1999" territory. Just please don't tell me you're required to use Opsware.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warbird posted:

the architects who designed the DevOps ecosystem ... apparently never discussed the matter with the Ops team that owns the environment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Warbird posted:

You don't actually need root to run ansible, fortunately. You set your ssh user as part of your remote block (https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/2.5/user_guide/intro_getting_started.html#remote-connection-information), which by default just runs with whatever OpenSSH config you already have.

Ability to SSH to the machine is the only hard requirement, for linux boxes anyway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good to know going forward. However these are all Win2012 boxes and they told us to pound sand when Ansible or anything else was brought up. I’m fairly sure Puppet adoption was only tolerated due to C suite strong arming.

Is there a Krebsonsecurity equivalent for DevOps/Ops that I should know about? Preferably something at a 5th grade reading level.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Is there something lightweight I can use to manage 3-4 mac minis? These are build servers, I need to keep the software environment consistent, but it needs to be saving me enough time that the investment in time/effort learning a new tool, migrating to it, and the maintenance is worthwhile. That's an easy bar to meet because I just got bit with an outdated version of Python but I mean at this point a checklist on a piece of paper may be the way to go.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’d use ansible. No clients to setup, just ssh keys. Works with yaml files so not too difficult to manage either.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I used to manage 1,000 Mac Minis with Chef and it was a decently pleasant experience, but for what you're trying to do you're unlikely to hit any of the strengths and weaknesses of Chef, Puppet, or Ansible, so you might as well just figure out which one's syntax you like the best

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
*Macs Mini

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
+1 for Ansible, it works great for just about anything with SSH daemon (or WinRM for the windows machines).

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The only thing I'd mention is that by default ansible runs on a push model, so if you need this automation to keep the environment consistent because folks are making changes, you should be aware that you are going to have to re-run a playbook every time you want to enforce this desired state.

There are some approaches to this problem (AWX, ansible-pull), but they're kind of heavyweight for your use case IMHO.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you guys using 2FA on any of your internal services behind the firewall? We are rolling out LDAP to our internal services, but have the option to integrate U2F in a couple of them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird posted:

Good to know going forward. However these are all Win2012 boxes and they told us to pound sand when Ansible or anything else was brought up. I’m fairly sure Puppet adoption was only tolerated due to C suite strong arming.

Is there a Krebsonsecurity equivalent for DevOps/Ops that I should know about? Preferably something at a 5th grade reading level.

Following up on this, it was all a "misunderstanding" once people a few pay grades higher got wind of things and made calls. We're all still busted af, but it's the normal sorta busted.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Are you guys using 2FA on any of your internal services behind the firewall? We are rolling out LDAP to our internal services, but have the option to integrate U2F in a couple of them.

Every one of our instances has Duo requiring 2fa for ssh access. Definitely do it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
We're moving to using LDAP + SSO / MFA via JumpCloud for all production environments' instances and because our developers still ssh into instances, those accounts will still get LDAP but won't be held to the same stringent standards. Before my tenure, our freakin' VPN instance was put in the same AWS account that developers roam around on all day with AWS *:* permissions (that we have been unable to revoke due to God Almighty Jenkins being so important and releases tied to random AWS users that defy auditability) so all of this may be borderline security theater.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

We're moving to using LDAP + SSO / MFA via JumpCloud for all production environments' instances and because our developers still ssh into instances, those accounts will still get LDAP but won't be held to the same stringent standards. Before my tenure, our freakin' VPN instance was put in the same AWS account that developers roam around on all day with AWS *:* permissions (that we have been unable to revoke due to God Almighty Jenkins being so important and releases tied to random AWS users that defy auditability) so all of this may be borderline security theater.

It's eerie how some of these posts mirror my own reality and make me suspicious who on here is my coworker.

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
going through keysets and seeing ones named things like "service-account". what service? where did this come from?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Stringent posted:

*Macs Mini

thanks

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Is this an appropriate place for beginner Docker questions? I'm using Docker for Windows and Windows containers.

I'm using a slightly modified version of this Dockerfile (https://github.com/SharpSeeEr/Dockerfiles/blob/master/Elasticsearch/Dockerfile) to build an image for ElasticSearch on Windows server. The file appears to define a volume but whenever I add some data to ES, stop and remove the container, then re-run it the data is gone. My internet reading suggests this is expected (data retains if container is stopped and re-started without removing), but how do I make it not do that? Or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Let's say I eventually have a production environment that is running a container based on that image, but I decide I want to alter the image but keep the existing data when making a new container from the newly-altered image. Am I not expected to be making changes to images at the point that I depend on the existing data in the container? Do I just make a data backup that I load back into the container when it starts? This is all new to me and I don't think I understand the way I should be dealing with this situation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Is this an appropriate place for beginner Docker questions? I'm using Docker for Windows and Windows containers.

I'm using a slightly modified version of this Dockerfile (https://github.com/SharpSeeEr/Dockerfiles/blob/master/Elasticsearch/Dockerfile) to build an image for ElasticSearch on Windows server. The file appears to define a volume but whenever I add some data to ES, stop and remove the container, then re-run it the data is gone. My internet reading suggests this is expected (data retains if container is stopped and re-started without removing), but how do I make it not do that? Or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Let's say I eventually have a production environment that is running a container based on that image, but I decide I want to alter the image but keep the existing data when making a new container from the newly-altered image. Am I not expected to be making changes to images at the point that I depend on the existing data in the container? Do I just make a data backup that I load back into the container when it starts? This is all new to me and I don't think I understand the way I should be dealing with this situation.
The VOLUME instruction is an image option, not a container option—it sets a very subtle behavior on containers created from the image, but it can't itself make Docker mount a volume at that path when you run a container based on the image. To mount a volume, you need to specify the -v/--volume argument to docker run.

Best bet is to read the Docker docs on volumes: https://docs.docker.com/storage/volumes/#start-a-container-with-a-volume

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

The VOLUME instruction is an image option, not a container option—it sets a very subtle behavior on containers created from the image, but it can't itself make Docker mount a volume at that path when you run a container based on the image. To mount a volume, you need to specify the -v/--volume argument to docker run.

Thank you! I didn't realize the Dockerfile IMAGE instruction was different. I added a named volume to my docker-compose and added the volumes config for the service that uses that image to use the named volume at the directory noted in the Dockerfile and now my ES data persists between containers.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The best advice I can give if you are starting on Windows containers is to not use Windows containers if at all possible. The only thing I've run into so far that only works in Windows containers is the Cosmos DB Emulator, but there's loads of software with official Docker containers that are only provided for Linux. You can always roll your own if you have to, but a lot of the benefit of Docker is that someone else already did the hard work for you. So unless you're really desperate to run a legacy .Net application in Docker I would take the easy route.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Scikar posted:

So unless you're really desperate to run a legacy .Net application in Docker I would take the easy route.

I appreciate your thoughts but this is my goal. Docker for Windows also appears to have issues running Linux and Windows containers side-by-side so everything else has to be a Windows container too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you get it to work, please post your notes and experiences here.

I've yet to hear of anyone get Windows containers to actually work so good luck with your endeavors. Linux is pretty well baked at this point but I have yet to see a good writeup of a functional Windows container system. I haven't really been looking lately though.

Good luck sir :patriot:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Opulent Ceremony posted:

I appreciate your thoughts but this is my goal. Docker for Windows also appears to have issues running Linux and Windows containers side-by-side so everything else has to be a Windows container too.

This will theoretically not be an issue in the near future. Docker had a PoC demo in a session at ignite running Windows and Linux containers side by side.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Hadlock posted:

If you get it to work, please post your notes and experiences here.

I've yet to hear of anyone get Windows containers to actually work so good luck with your endeavors. Linux is pretty well baked at this point but I have yet to see a good writeup of a functional Windows container system. I haven't really been looking lately though.

Good luck sir :patriot:

I did this last spring. It was awful so I wrote a guide on how I did it. https://github.com/mooseracer/WindowsDocker

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Windows on containers is so busted even microsoft threw up their hands and recommends porting to your code to .net core and running it on linux for microservices

Extremely Penetrated posted:

I did this last spring. It was awful so I wrote a guide on how I did it. https://github.com/mooseracer/WindowsDocker
This is a crimescene; you are a criminal. I hope you feel bad about this and also yourself.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 18, 2018

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
yes but it looks good on the resume :pseudo:

My main complaints are about Swarm and the overlay network. The Windows hosts are so unreliable I had to build swarm-rejoining scripts. I feel like uptime would be better if there was no cluster, just a single manager.

But it did improve with patching as I was building it out. Started with Server 1709 and Docker EE 17.06-06 and it barely worked at all. Maybe someday this will be a viable option for hosting a containerized version of your bullshit mission critical legacy ASP app until the end of time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Which’s epliyment tools work with apps that are written in different languages? Manege a php and python app deployment from one source.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

All of them?

I would put the python code and the php code in separate repos, but you should otherwise not have any issues with your deployment tool of choice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

All of them?

I would put the python code and the php code in separate repos, but you should otherwise not have any issues with your deployment tool of choice.
Particularly if the applications are containerized, at which point the object of consideration is not "PHP app source" or "Python app source" but "container image" instead.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I'm a bit new to the whole DevOps world, coming from being a generalist Windows sysadmin, but I've been put on an Azure project to help deal with the infrastructure side of things. This is something I'm really interested in learning.

The tools our dev teams currently use:
SVN for source control
Bamboo as a build server
Octopus Deploy (and some homegrown tools) for deployment

What I am aware of:
We should use ARM templates to define our resource groups (and the resources in them)
We should keep our arm templates in source control
This project will be using mostly Azure solutions, like API Management, Service Bus, App Services, CosmoDB (No IaaS as far as I am currently aware)

What I'd like to find out:
The best way (best practices in general lol) to put together ARM templates, whether through VSCode or getting a Visual Studio license since it has those capabilities
Again, general structure? Do we throw everything from the RG into one template? Linked/nested templates? How are deploying new app service releases handled in this situation?
Is there anything to not define in an ARM template?
How to handle dev/test/prod environments in Azure? Do I use something like variable substitution in Octopus to separate these out? Is this even recommended in Azure?
Getting the template from the editor over to Octopus? I imagine I can use bamboo to 'build' the package after an update has been checked in (or at least zip it up) so Octopus can process it for deployment.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 24, 2018

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Avoid ARM templates. Look at Terraform (if you have to; its specification language sucks wind) or preferably Pulumi (Terraform providers with a specification layer not made by people who fear loops--former Microsoft devdiv folks, mostly) so long as a little, simple code won't freak out people you're working with.

When you have actual code constructs instead of ARM JSON splatters it's a lot easier to figure out how you want to modularize your code, because it now actually is code, and most of it becomes a matter of taste.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

AFashionableHat posted:

Avoid ARM templates. Look at Terraform (if you have to; its specification language sucks wind) or preferably Pulumi (Terraform providers with a specification layer not made by people who fear loops--former Microsoft devdiv folks, mostly) so long as a little, simple code won't freak out people you're working with.

When you have actual code constructs instead of ARM JSON splatters it's a lot easier to figure out how you want to modularize your code, because it now actually is code, and most of it becomes a matter of taste.

I had looked at and played around with Terraform previously. I would assume MS would want people to use its native platform, but I read something today about MS steering people towards Terraform for this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lately MS seems to be doing a decent job of identifying tools the community prefers to use and then putting support behind those tools.