Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had an amazing moment when another WAR and I were both doing some chainsawing but off tempo from each other. 10 glorious seconds of :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thundarr posted:

I never felt overwhelmed by the exact theme presented in the same way in ARR and HW the way I do in SB.

I mean yeah a lot of older themes get reused, but usually they're subtle enough that I don't notice them instantly. Or remixed in cool ways, like the Azys Lla theme. When the Kugane theme plays it is almost always pretty much the same as it always is.

This is weird because I definitely have the opposite problem you do. I can pick out the chorus of Dragonsong/whatever the gently caress the Ishgard city theme is riffing off of in literally every track in Heavensward content that isn't Alexander/Warring Triad and it drives me up the wall, they at least try to play it off a bit more in Stormblood.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

LethalGeek posted:

I had an amazing moment when another WAR and I were both doing some chainsawing but off tempo from each other. 10 glorious seconds of :black101:

The rarest moment of all,...when you're MCH and find another MCH and like 5 seconds into fight it's just two people spraying All Of The Fire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol this Ninja quest. I like how they're bringing back the old Thief class quest folks, since it bugged me how they'd disappeared for some other jobs (like Bard, at least through the Heavensward job quests I've done).

I'm pretty sure they maxed out the muscles on this Zakuro lady.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Stormblood mostly bring back the class guys for their Job quests.

You have some weird cases like Bard, though, where the best you get is talking to the Archer and Lancer Guildmasters once and then them not really doing anything afterwards. The Lancer guy doesn't even factor into Dragoon quests!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm just annoyed that we finally get a raid tier with 4 originalish bosses and we only get one fully new song. eScape is great but having the final boss themes just be Makers Ruin mk 2 and 3 is really underwhelming compared to Rise.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

lol this Ninja quest. I like how they're bringing back the old Thief class quest folks, since it bugged me how they'd disappeared for some other jobs (like Bard, at least through the Heavensward job quests I've done).

I'm pretty sure they maxed out the muscles on this Zakuro lady.

If you look up NPCs on garlandtools.org/db/ you can find their appearance data and what exactly they're wearing, what their sliders are set at, what face options they're using, etc. In this case, she really does have the muscles at 100 lol

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i hope this thread likes unrequested vanity shots because

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
PSA if you’re standing right next to a vendor in an alley and someone keeps running up to that vendor and runnin away, then coming back a minute later: Please take your lusty maid chat to somewhere else, or at least to a channel other than /say. No I don’t have screenshots, but “bends over for her spanking” was used during my third to last trip to getting Weaver to 45.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thundarr posted:

I never felt overwhelmed by the exact theme presented in the same way in ARR and HW the way I do in SB.

I mean yeah a lot of older themes get reused, but usually they're subtle enough that I don't notice them instantly. Or remixed in cool ways, like the Azys Lla theme. When the Kugane theme plays it is almost always pretty much the same as it always is. Or just way more frequent, since it is part of every single boss fight.

Seconding that last point. The Burn is great and it makes me sad when the epic music gets swapped out for the SB generic boss theme for Mist Dragon - which, to be fair, is a pretty good theme but I've heard it a billion times before and anytime I'm not literally fighting Xenos it just feels boring.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't care if it's repetitive, the leitmotif kicking in during The Royal Menagerie is loving amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chakan posted:

PSA if you’re standing right next to a vendor in an alley and someone keeps running up to that vendor and runnin away, then coming back a minute later: Please take your lusty maid chat to somewhere else, or at least to a channel other than /say. No I don’t have screenshots, but “bends over for her spanking” was used during my third to last trip to getting Weaver to 45.
You don't pay my sub

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thundarr posted:

I mean yeah a lot of older themes get reused, but usually they're subtle enough that I don't notice them instantly. Or remixed in cool ways, like the Azys Lla theme. When the Kugane theme plays it is almost always pretty much the same as it always is. Or just way more frequent, since it is part of every single boss fight.

I agree with this. My personal example is the Doma Castle theme is really really good for the first 45 seconds... and then bam... Rhalgar's brass section.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My 'oh my god this is an amazing song i can hear the leitmotif in it oh my god this is awesome' moment is O12.

It fits well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Phase 3 of Final Steps of Faith hosed me up.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kaubocks posted:

Considering that's like 75% of my posts in the thread?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

O11N is the most effective pub slayer I've ran into since Vishap.

People just absolutely can't wrap their heads around Starboard/Larboard and the 180 spin, and then you add in Mustard Bomb (which has a habit of smearing tanks even when I warn them ahead of time that it's an actual tankbuster for once) and Blaster which some dunderhead inevitably drops in the middle of the party, and the constant pressure from fist rockets on top of all this.

It looks like almost all the decent players have wisely stopped queuing for O11N because every single group I get put into has a newbie and a bunch of people who barely have any idea what they're doing. Other normal fights this tier don't have this issue.

I just want my spring!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

O11N is the most effective pub slayer I've ran into since Vishap.

People just absolutely can't wrap their heads around Starboard/Larboard and the 180 spin, and then you add in Mustard Bomb (which has a habit of smearing tanks even when I warn them ahead of time that it's an actual tankbuster for once) and Blaster which some dunderhead inevitably drops in the middle of the party, and the constant pressure from fist rockets on top of all this.

It looks like almost all the decent players have wisely stopped queuing for O11N because every single group I get put into has a newbie and a bunch of people who barely have any idea what they're doing. Other normal fights this tier don't have this issue.

I just want my spring!

all of this explains why o11n is probably the most common raid I see in normal raid roulette by far

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

well since you offered...

My white, black, and red mage outfit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

UHD posted:

all of this explains why o11n is probably the most common raid I see in normal raid roulette by far

That and me having to run it multiple times today because my loving rolls were garbage :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
O11 is the new O7 and since I don't need loot from it anymore (including the music), I'm fine not touching that ever again.

Stop dropping Blaster on everyone, you fool. :argh:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kaubocks posted:

I took a new picture since I finally decided to get my bird kited out, so I guess here I go adding to the train.

I've had that glamour look for like 2 patches now, I'm pretty proud of it. :shobon:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just run like gently caress when Blaster starts coming out. Trust no one. I'll drop the DPS, it doesn't matter.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

xaela male with best horns :hai:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think O11 is a bit like Rabanastre in that there's a disconnect between what people actually die to and the funnier, dumber reason the community decides to say they die to. So in Rabanastre, which definitely had massive amounts of death and even wipes for weeks, there were memes galore about people not being able to do simple math, but in my experience where people would really get mown down was during the rotating laser move, when people who tried to strafe or who just weren't close enough would just melt. Still sort of a silly reason to repeatedly die, but a less viable chokepoint for jokes about pubbies being bad or whatever.

In O11 I think after the first week or so the majority of players knew intellectually where to move for Starboard and where to move for Larboard (although I had a pretty snotty tank the other day who called them Starbort and Lambert and kept insisting they were flipped). The issue is that the AoE isn't really a straight line bifurcating the arena-- it bulges out and if you run just a bit too far into the safe area it's easy to get clipped by the second cast when it turns. Maybe I've been spoiled by decent groups but I see many, many more people get hit by the second cast, after it flips, then by the first, often as people are running to get to the right side. Of course a lot of this could be solved by just standing closer to Omega but you know, casters. Again-- a silly reason to get hit and if you straight-up die because of it there were probably other mistakes being made, but it's a lot more understandable than "people can't tell left from right."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm just annoyed that we finally get a raid tier with 4 originalish bosses and we only get one fully new song. eScape is great but having the final boss themes just be Makers Ruin mk 2 and 3 is really underwhelming compared to Rise.

Hey man, Maker's Ruin is one of the best tracks from ARR :colbert:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kaubocks posted:

xaela male with best horns :hai:

you know it :respek:

A few older ones I'm still super proud of:

Bet you'll never guess my favorite location to take glamour shots.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 11, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've finally decided to finish leveling WAR after all of this time. I still had fracture on my bars when I came back to it (I've kept it on one of them).

Postin' my catgirl. This'll probably be my WAR glam for awhile.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Here's my roe.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

O11N is the most effective pub slayer I've ran into since Vishap. (...)
Honestly, speaking as an idiot who's died to lasers more than I want to admit, I think it's slightly too tightly tuned for a normal raid. I mean if you look at it...

• It has a one second cast or so, maybe less, with no ground tell until it's too late. And of course in the back half of the fight it's coming out immediately after various attacks that make the party have to spread out or run around. Which isn't that bad, but...
  • Human response times are somewhere around 200ms. Not a lot, sure, but that narrows it a bit further. And then you have the (apparently US-specific?) issue of using nautical terms, and while it isn't hard but also takes a bit of extra time to decide. And then it's done in reverse right afterwards so you can't zone out and just reflexively respond.
  • It's something like a 220-degree arc rather than a 180, so even if you're right in the center you can't just quick tap to the proper side, you have to actually dodge properly and commit to a side and can't really save yourself if you make a reflexive mistake.
  • And then there's the whole issue of latency atop it all. It's probably not a big deal in Japan, but coming from the east coast of the US it's another 150-250ms delay which just eats into the already limited time to respond.

I mean I freely admit I'm an idiot and bad at video games or whatever, I'm old, sue me. But having run it a few times a week it's obvious that people tend to fail it pretty often, and often responding correctly but a bit too late, and I wonder if adding 250 or 300ms to the cast time might make a world of difference. I mean people will still mess it up but it'd be marginally less party wipey. :shrug:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Updated my PLD glam:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Funnily enough the starboard/larboard thing is purely a westerner issue, the kanji used in the Japanese equivalents of those words are literally just "Right/Left + Boat side" (右舷 & 左舷).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The One Weird Trick that made everything click for me was to always align my camera the same way as the boss is facing. So after the first cast I just spin my camera 180 degrees. I know intellectually this shouldn't matter, but it removed any thinking I have to do except for the simple "cast bar says left-dodge right" reversal.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always think about it on a same-opposite basis. If the second call is the same as the first, it'll be on the opposite side the first one. If it's the opposite call, it'll be the same side both times.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

I just run like gently caress when Blaster starts coming out. Trust no one. I'll drop the DPS, it doesn't matter.

It's this exact reason why I only queue as ranged for that fight. See the tether, run to opposite corner, watch 7/8 of the party hp disappear, laugh as I flawlessly do my Wildfire rotation, then cry when I get agro cos the main tank died to the t-buster.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

So I started with this

But then I bought a three pack of fantasias on sale...

This lasted about 3 days before irritation at choosing the wrong jaw got to me, which resulted in

I've got one fantasia left and I'm supposed to be sitting on it until fanfest in November, which I'm pretty sure will be when Viera will be announced as foretold in the leaks... but I swear, it calls to me. But do I go back to highlander or try a gimmicky black cat look...?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

So I started with this

This lasted about 3 days before irritation at choosing the wrong jaw got to me, which resulted in

I've got one fantasia left and I'm supposed to be sitting on it until fanfest in November, which I'm pretty sure will be when Viera will be announced as foretold in the leaks... but I swear, it calls to me. But do I go back to highlander or try a gimmicky black cat look...?

Or you could be the correct choice, a Roegadyn.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Emzedoh posted:

So I started with this

Highlady, bestlady

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I really want to get into working with seeds, saving to buy a house. What is the maximum amount of seeds you can plant at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isk posted:

Highlady, bestlady

This person gets it