Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

baw posted:

So I'm playing Mathilda of Tuscany, 1066 start, and I got matrilineally married and pregnant and everything was going fine. Then my husband disappears. No death notification or anything (unless maybe i missed it somehow,) my husband is simply gone and my ruler is no longer married. I didn't remember his name so didn't know how to track it down. So I figure I'll wait until I poop out the kid and see who his father is. So kid poops out and I find out that his father is now a bishop in Francia, and my newborn son is with him and being raised by his father. He's still my primary heir and everything I just have no idea why my husband ran away to become a bishop and then took my son.

If a married man gets a bishopric (or joins a holy order) their marriage just... ends somehow. I think the kid would normally stay with the mother, make sure to check he's really of your dynasty.

Also check if you can assign him a guardian in your court, or invite him over when he's an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TorakFade posted:

Thanks for giving me the first proper laugh of the day. This is why I love CK2 :allears:

there really is no other game like it

pidan posted:

If a married man gets a bishopric (or joins a holy order) their marriage just... ends somehow. I think the kid would normally stay with the mother, make sure to check he's really of your dynasty.

Also check if you can assign him a guardian in your court, or invite him over when he's an adult.

Thanks, yeah he's still my dynasty so that's good, his guardian is his father and so there isn't much I can do about that but I guess I'll invite him over when he's grown. In the meantime I'll try to seduce my ex husband because why not?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’d have a custody battle.

With assassins.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

With assassins.

Satanic assassins and dark magic. :colbert:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

baw posted:

Thanks, yeah he's still my dynasty so that's good, his guardian is his father and so there isn't much I can do about that but I guess I'll invite him over when he's grown. In the meantime I'll try to seduce my ex husband because why not?

if you're not playing iron man personally this is one of those situations i'd use the console to fix the game simulation, because "my primary heir is being raised as an infant across the continent by a man of God who shouldn't technically have children" as one of those weird situations that doesn't quite shake out in reality

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

With assassins.

What happens to the son if his kidnapping shithead father dies? I literally have no idea but might have to find out

luxury handset posted:

if you're not playing iron man personally this is one of those situations i'd use the console to fix the game simulation, because "my primary heir is being raised as an infant across the continent by a man of God who shouldn't technically have children" as one of those weird situations that doesn't quite shake out in reality

I think I'll just RP that he kidnapped my son in the dead of night and is now raising him in a different country so now I've spent a few years sleeping around a bit and now I've launched a war for one of my vassals so that he can have his claim on Lombardia. I wanted to marry him so that our child would have both claims so I killed his wife (with his help?!) but now he won't marry me despite having an 80 opinion. I'm still learning the goddamn marriage rules but I reckon if I can get him to marry me and we have a son, then that son will have titles to both the Duchy of Toscana and Lombardia, making him the most powerful vassal in the HRE and possibly able to challenge the emperor himself. But before all that I need to figure out what to do about the other son, who is the firstborn with the claim on Toscana. I feel really bad about murdering my vassal's wife (she was a young, patient, pious naive appeaser) so I hope it isn't all for nothing.

Took a few months off from ck2 after I got my poo poo wrecked in an India game but I'm happy to be getting back into it.

baw fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 11, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NPC Landed Nobles are as allergic to matrimarriage as players are.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

NPC Landed Nobles are as allergic to matrimarriage as players are.

Welp I guess his wife died for nothing.

Unless I seduce him and get a favor and use it to have him marry me?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I see people recommending Way of Life and Conclave, but yeah, I have misgivings about the latter as well. Way of Life I can see being useful and fun, from the description. Conclave...it's going to sound lame, but I don't necessarily want the game to be harder or even more of a balancing act. I appreciate that apparently it's easier to switch to Primogeniture, but if your council is now constantly harassing you and giving you poo poo, it doesn't seem worth it. Is that the issue you have with it?

e: never I mind I probably read your post wrong, think you're saying you should have gotten Conclave earlier

I don't feel like Conclave makes things harder - I think it adds some interesting choices to the drudge-work of handling difficult vassals. Before Conclave, when factions were getting big, there's not a lot you could do about them - all you could do is try to raise their opinion of you, then throw your Chancellor and Spymaster at the biggest jackasses and pray to the RNG while preparing for the inevitable war.

With Conclave, you have a much broader array of options for shutting down factions, depending on how much you're willing to give up. It does mean that your biggest vassals are more prone to mischief, so you're pushed to use those options and make those sacrifices...but since you can deal with things on your terms, it feels a lot more controllable than the vanilla faction system.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I can't imagine playing without Conclave, sure it's more "work" but only if you think that playing CK2 is work

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm not even sure I'd recognize the base game at this point. Every DLC adds something to the game as a whole (I think the only things I don't have are Sunset Invasion and maybe some portrait/clothing/unit packs), and I can't imagine playing without them, even if I never touch India or whatever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like that there are no features that feel truly disconnected from each other. It's a complaint that often pops up in regards to EUIV DLC. And Holy Fury especially seems like it expands on features of different DLCs in a really amazing way. Monastic orders and warrior lodges, pagan reformation overhaul, a silk road analogue in Africa, a truly fleshed out Hellenic paganism as a Legacy of Rome, etc.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah the only DLCs I don't have are Sunset and Ruler Designer, and that's just because they never jump out at me hard enough to get them. Sunset adds a challenge, sure. But that's about all it adds. I got all the other DLCs because they add some real meat to the game. Even with ruler designer I'm content with the plethora of weird rear end starts the game offers.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
The ruler designer is a lot of fun if you don't care about achievements and have some gimmick that you want to try but is difficult to set up in normal play

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

The ruler designer is a lot of fun if you don't care about achievements and have some gimmick that you want to try but is difficult to set up in normal play

I used to use it for that, but eventually I found it was easier to just use the console.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah the only DLCs I don't have are Sunset and Ruler Designer, and that's just because they never jump out at me hard enough to get them. Sunset adds a challenge, sure. But that's about all it adds. I got all the other DLCs because they add some real meat to the game. Even with ruler designer I'm content with the plethora of weird rear end starts the game offers.

If you have Sunset Invasion it adds an extra event to the Devil Child event series, and is worth it for that alone IMO.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

TIL that you can't use a favor to force a matrilineal marriage. I guess I killed that guy's wife for nothing

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Crusader Kings II: I killed his wife (with his help?!)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

baw posted:

TIL that you can't use a favor to force a matrilineal marriage. I guess I killed that guy's wife for nothing

If you handed out bribes, it ups people's opinion of you, making them more likely to help you out with other murders in the future. Call it networking, or a team-building exercise.

Speaking of Ruler Designer, is there an Ashkenazi start without using it?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

If you handed out bribes, it ups people's opinion of you, making them more likely to help you out with other murders in the future. Call it networking, or a team-building exercise.

Speaking of Ruler Designer, is there an Ashkenazi start without using it?

Not a start, but Jews of various cultures show up pretty often just in the normal course of things. Then it's just a matter of having your kids educated.

One event with the devil kid showing up leading the Aztecs just isn't worth it to me. Like I said, I get the benefits of Sunset, it's just not enough to make me want it.

Yeah I get that. But even that's not a huge draw to me because console fuckery can accomplish that stuff just fine and I enjoy pulling the weird fuckery kind of stuff to end up with religion/cultures in weird places and so on.

I get the pros of both those dlcs for people, they're just not for me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I just realized I don't have Monks and Mystics, probably because I play with supernatural events off and I once saw someone complain that the sheer number of secret societies and people in them ended up making things stupid. Is it still worth buying if I play with supernatural events off?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think it's worth it because of artifacts and the ability to command your allies in war. Those two are a pretty big deal. But with supernatural events off you're gonna be missing out on a good chunk of stuff with the devil worshippers (are those societies even available with that rule turned off?) and maybe even some of the poo poo with the other societies? Iunno I never have that rule turned off.

Secret cults aren't that big a problem. Just keep your chaplain hot after apostates and you'll not only be fine but get consequence free kills/excommunications on people courtesy of heresy accusations. Cults have gone back and forth since implementation. At first it was difficult as hell for them to prosper and survive. Then they got buffed and ran rampant (honestly I never had huge problems with this) but has since been toned down a little. They're in a good place.

Personally I loving love secret cults because it allows religions to survive in the face of overwhelming military force. I still occasionally love to do Jewish Semien runs just to infest the Islamic blobs and eventually yell "Gotcha, bitch!" as half the kingdom/empire openly declares their faith. Makes going for Israel, the third temple, etc real fun. Works great for any minority religion that normally gets steamrolled.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 11, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish there was a bit more granularity in the supernatural events rule. I like the events like playing chess with Death, or some of the crazy poo poo you can get with astronomy. Growing your dick back because you love Satan feels a bit out of place to me though.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I think it's worth it because of artifacts and the ability to command your allies in war. Those two are a pretty big deal. But with supernatural events off you're gonna be missing out on a good chunk of stuff with the devil worshippers (are those societies even available with that rule turned off?) and maybe even some of the poo poo with the other societies? Iunno I never have that rule turned off.

Secret cults aren't that big a problem. Just keep your chaplain hot after apostates and you'll not only be fine but get consequence free kills/excommunications on people courtesy of heresy accusations. Cults have gone back and forth since implementation. At first it was difficult as hell for them to prosper and survive. Then they got buffed and ran rampant (honestly I never had huge problems with this) but has since been toned down a little. They're in a good place.

Personally I loving love secret cults because it allows religions to survive in the face of overwhelming military force. I still occasionally love to do Jewish Semien runs just to infest the Islamic blobs and eventually yell "Gotcha, bitch!" as half the kingdom/empire openly declares their faith. Makes going for Israel, the third temple, etc real fun. Works great for any minority religion that normally gets steamrolled.

This sounds pretty good, I'll probably download both when HF comes out and start up a new game

Crow Jane posted:

It was mostly just me and her husband (he was worth 86% plot power) and he didn't even need a bribe. :stare:

baw fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2018

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Secret cults used to suck and they're good now

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wish there was a bit more granularity in the supernatural events rule. I like the events like playing chess with Death, or some of the crazy poo poo you can get with astronomy. Growing your dick back because you love Satan feels a bit out of place to me though.

You'll never shut down my satanic dick-culturing laboratory.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

You'll never shut down my satanic dick-culturing laboratory.

Speaking of laboratories, it's pretty annoying that you have to build a new one for each new Hermetic ruler, especially since I usually try to take on my heirs as apprentices. I guess the lab self-destructs when you die?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IDK my goony as gently caress French king going from frail to brawny via an satan-fueled orgy ruled pretty hard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of laboratories, it's pretty annoying that you have to build a new one for each new Hermetic ruler, especially since I usually try to take on my heirs as apprentices. I guess the lab self-destructs when you die?

It gets antiquated.

A lot of it is probably also rite of passage - it's not having the laboratory, it's building it and in doing so demonstrating commitment to the Order.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Turning off satanic orders specifically is one of the game rules, I believe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

baw posted:

I just realized I don't have Monks and Mystics, probably because I play with supernatural events off and I once saw someone complain that the sheer number of secret societies and people in them ended up making things stupid. Is it still worth buying if I play with supernatural events off?

You still get people with falsely held religions without Monks and Mystics, but until you own the DLC, you don't get the apostate-hunting activity for your chaplain.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jedit posted:

It gets antiquated.

A lot of it is probably also rite of passage - it's not having the laboratory, it's building it and in doing so demonstrating commitment to the Order.

yeah but they should give you some sort of heritage bonus, like you can upgrade your laboratory and it gives you some better modifiers for gaining esoteric knowledge

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

indigi posted:

yeah but they should give you some sort of heritage bonus, like you can upgrade your laboratory and it gives you some better modifiers for gaining esoteric knowledge

Exactly. You could even tie it into the artifact system, like your great-great granddaddy's prize beaker could give you a slight learning boost or something. It just seems so wasteful as is, my realm must be littered with abandoned hermetic labs and observatories after a few centuries.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Strolls through a laboratory in the castle dungeons with a few Satantic initiates.*

And these vats here are where I regrow my face when my physician, Horse M.D., caves my current one in with a hoof to cure my syphilis. Oh, hello Moloch. Everybody this is Moloch, he runs this facility for me. I let a dwarf with a goat head sodomize me to secure his services from the Dark Prince. Anyway, if you'll follow me we'll have a look at the new Genital Regeneration department, which has become absolutely vital since I started loving both the Basileus' daughter and mother.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in my "daughters run poo poo" game I've married 3 second generation daughters off. all to the Basileus. they're all dying from weird sicknesses, but that's not all - before they die they're all maimed somehow. the last one was missing an eye, the one before was missing a leg. this one got her face mutilated. is that... a thing? is it a Caligula scenario or something? I just want an alliance while I clear these infidels off the Iberian peninsula

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

indigi posted:

in my "daughters run poo poo" game I've married 3 second generation daughters off. all to the Basileus. they're all dying from weird sicknesses, but that's not all - before they die they're all maimed somehow. the last one was missing an eye, the one before was missing a leg. this one got her face mutilated. is that... a thing? is it a Caligula scenario or something? I just want an alliance while I clear these infidels off the Iberian peninsula

They'll all be getting ill and taking the "extreme measures" cure option, with it failing because the physician is poo poo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

Is there an epidemic in the Byzantine Empire or something?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

not in the capital, from what I can tell

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

baw posted:

Bishops don't marry at all. Sorry

Dwesa posted:

Turning off satanic orders specifically is one of the game rules, I believe.

Yeah, you can turn that off without turning off the other stuff.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

Bishops don't marry at all. Sorry

The guy I was trying to marry wasn't a bishop, he was a vassal. The bishop ex-husband is dead to me and if i run out of other stuff to do might end up dead to everyone else too :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Sometimes the RNG just does you that way. I can't so much as go a while game without, at some point, losing three rulers in a row to random non-epidemic diseases.

• Locked thread