Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not a game over (and not an RPG) but the first thing that came to mind for music that stays with me is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPU_lbpLNuE

Mostly because it's a remix of the main theme that's suitably depressing and heavy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I forget which of the early Atelier games had it but there was one that would just play twitter positivity memes for you on certain days

"Merry Christmas! Remember, even if you're spending it alone, you're beautiful."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How is Labyrinth of Refrain?

Once a troll hit my tank so hard her head exploded so I had to make a door out of dirt to go home and nail a new one on the stump.

Game good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm doing it

Its very very rough and not particularly interesting, good luck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

Its very very rough and not particularly interesting, good luck

Yeah I'm not like super attached to actually finishing it. The instant it stops feeling fun I'm ditching it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier started with Rorona

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dehry posted:

Atelier started with Rorona

i like iris 2 and mk too but yeah pretty much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiSdalrhds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atelier Marie sucks, I've decided. Interesting to put a few hours into it to see where the series came from but I have no real desire to play more than that. I'll check Elie briefly to see if it's a huge improvement but I suspect it isn't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed Annie a fair amount.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I tried playing Annie as a follow-up to Recettear.
Didn't take.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atelier Elie is a pretty massive improvement over Marie. I think I can call it a good game, maybe. Not really what I'm in the mood for though. Well, spending a few hours on an Atelier history lesson was a good use of time imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The World Ends With You on Switch is really really bad with waggle.

The touch screen controls are pretty good.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The most important part of any Atelier game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Does it require touch or motion controls?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One or the other yes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gameplay of Yokai Watch 4 is out, looks to be an action RPG where you're leading on your monsters while also playing a big part in support/attack role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKwB8l92so

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tae posted:

Gameplay of Yokai Watch 4 is out, looks to be an action RPG where you're leading on your monsters while also playing a big part in support/attack role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKwB8l92so

that combat looks pretty similar to NNK2

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If by pretty similar you mean literally exactly like NNK2 then I agree. Dude there appears to shooting Evan's magic orbs from his wrist and has similar looking melee attacks.

And speaking of, I also recognize all of those particle effects and UI stylings from NNK2. Not that that's a bad thing particularly, this seems like smart reuse of resources.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it looked more like 1 than 2 tbh

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1050771248375050242

PS4 is $24.99

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 12, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad level 5 has decided to go back to their golden age of reusing the same combat system between three different games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up deciding to replay E&L. I figure that plus Annie will take up the rest of October and November until Arland is on Switch., and I won't have to deal with Firis to get my fix. I owned a PS3 copy from when it first came out so playing that instead of Plus. I did get the Wilbell DLC though. Bratty teenaged Wilbell is good. I also appreciate how the subtext of Escha's entire first meeting with Logy is just "oh no he's hot"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well... he is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

yeah that's why I appreciated it

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i'll be honest looking at the characters section for L&S in february and seeing alt and thinking "wow he's cute" was one of the reasons i decided to buy the game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

My one issue with E&L is that it's Escha to Logy and I couldn't get it out of my head the entire game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a better way to grind in Disgaea 5 than the challenge stage in Sandcano with the cheat menu upping exp?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was the Dusk Atelier series all localized by the same company? I just see Gust and Koei-Tecmo on the boxes but I dunno if it's like Nintendo where they have multiple uncredited subcontractors. There's just a bunch of minor annoying changes. Like Ayesha is an apothecary in Ayesha, a pharmacist in Escha, and an herbalist in Shallie. Wilbell's teacher is her great great grandmother in Ayesha, her grandmother in Escha, and "the grand master" in Shallie.

morallyobjected posted:

is there a better way to grind in Disgaea 5 than the challenge stage in Sandcano with the cheat menu upping exp?

Check GameFAQs, they usually have guides on how to transfer into postgame. I don't remember for 5 specifically but it usually involves a sequence of several maps, rather than just one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Was the Dusk Atelier series all localized by the same company? I just see Gust and Koei-Tecmo on the boxes but I dunno if it's like Nintendo where they have multiple uncredited subcontractors. There's just a bunch of minor annoying changes. Like Ayesha is an apothecary in Ayesha, a pharmacist in Escha, and an herbalist in Shallie. Wilbell's teacher is her great great grandmother in Ayesha, her grandmother in Escha, and "the grand master" in Shallie.
They were all localized in-house at Koei Tecmo, which probably means they just rented them out to the cheapest place they could find, yeah. There's tons of translations issues. And Shallie launched with a gamebreaking bug in the localization.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Ayesha had already been picked up by NISA when Koei Tecmo fully absorbed Gust, so that translation work was kept. Some of the NISA team formed a company called acttil and handled translation with Escha & Logy through Firis. There probably were some different editors between the games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tell me about the new stuff once you hit it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm actually finding TWEWY okay on waggle. It took me a while to get used to it - figuring out how to slash reliably was tricky - but it's pretty responsive and the quick-calibrate button is a godsend. Menu navigation kinda sucks, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

There’s an exploit you can use early on where level 99 enemies give the same amount of EXP as level 310 ones(also level 100+ enemies give way less until you get back to around there). Some of the grinding maps are actually set up so that if you boost enemy levels enough they’ll be level 99, so you can really easily just check even without a guide just by entering/exiting.

But yeah, if you’ve started the postgame the Ordeal maps unlocked from the assembly turn into grinding stages after you clear them normally, with the last one being just full of the not-metal slimes and the one before that being full of the bears on EXP up panels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

There’s an exploit you can use early on where level 99 enemies give the same amount of EXP as level 310 ones

An intended mechanic isn't an exploit. :eng101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The sprites in TWEWY Presents KH Naming COnventions is absolutely gorgeous.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Any advice for Valkyria Chronicles 4? I haven't really played one since the first on PS3 so there's a lot to take in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is a sequel to 1 more than 2 or 3.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

It is a sequel to 1 more than 2 or 3.

Ok, cool. So scoutrush to victory again? Do the other classes get more playtime or do you pretty much just have to run to beat every map for rank again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

Any advice for Valkyria Chronicles 4? I haven't really played one since the first on PS3 so there's a lot to take in.

It's a lot like the first. The biggest change is that most of the time requirements for A-ranks are a lot more lenient, so you can take your time sniffing out aces & leaders and not worry too much if somebody misses a shot. Rushing your objectives with a single scout is usually a bad idea because there are a lot more turret guns and tanks around. Tanks only cost 1 CP now, but anti-tank guns have intercept fire so they can actually be a threat sometimes. Grenadiers are awesome and you should always bring one.

Potential unlocking is a little more involved this time too; all of your squad members have little unlockable interludes like Largo's VEGE-TA-BLES!!! mission from VC1. You need to have the right group of three soldiers on your roster, get far enough in the campaign, and promote one of the three to Corporal by spending 20 CP on them (or 40 CP in skirmishes). Here's the whole list of squad story groups, and the earliest you can unlock them:

Chapter 3: Godwin/Rosetta/Nico, Jester/Teresa/Connor, Fleuret/Rebecca/Mabel(requires 3 other squad stories completed), Curtis/Laurent/Eileen(requires Curtis to be KO'd and rescued once), Emmy/Viola/Simon(requires 5 medals)
Chapter 4: Ferrier/Jean/Stanley, Dan/Aulard
Chapter 5: Odin/Lily/Jimmy, Zaiga/Vancey/Gertrude(requires 1,000,000 DCT on hand)
Chapter 6: Millennia/Brittany/Rita
Chapter 8: Ronald/Ryan/Keigel, Aladdin/Leonhardt/Neige
Chapter 9: Hanna/Jascha/Aoife, Azusa/Scott/Norid

There are three others for characters you can only get after beating the game.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 13, 2018