Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

maybe if someone posts an inspirational quote itt i will go weight train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

jarofpiss posted:

As I said weights aren't nearly as much my thing as cardio, but I am a Henry Rollins fan and he's said some words on the subject.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why do people hate squats? Are they the most painful one?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tinstaach posted:

forget what I said about ExRx, the optimal workout plan is squatting every day, 10x10, and if you can't make a 10lb increase every week, add another pound of steak to your diet

don't forget the cream cheese shooters

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

they are heavy

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Done right, they are incredibly draining.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

squats done right are super brutal, draining, and have the longest and most debilitating DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness - aka the soreness the next day) of all the main lifts

some people also foolishly believe that big meaty thighs and a huge muscular butt do not help in the game of love as much as 5 chest and arm days a week

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

jarofpiss posted:

best i can do is an inspirational video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8NgLSveuOo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey this is a good thread full of positivity.

I've been a runner for a very long time (competitive in HS and college) and while I still do it today it's not nearly the volume I once did. I also found a trainer at my gym who I really like and I do HIIT dumbbell workouts in a couple of weekly classes he does, with another class focused on barbell work and oly lifting motions once a week or so on top of that. Running and lifting can definitely fit together and benefit each other, feel free to ask me about it (or either by themselves, though I know more about running on its own).

Current fitness/wellness goals are:
1. In bed with electronics off by midnight during the week. I've been averaging six hours of sleep per weeknight over the last month or so and it's rough. Midnight would give me 6.5-7 hours a night which isn't perfect but would really help over a sustained period.

2. Snack less at night/try IF/[insert food consumption-related goal here]. My lunch and dinner during the week already kind of fit into an IF schedule (non-existent snacking at work, lunch around 12:30-1, dinner around 8:30-9), but I definitely need to cut back on junk food after dinner. I'm also not quite brave enough to cut out breakfast entirely like a lot of people suggest for IF, but I do need to get away from my current go-to quick breakfast (banana + berry fruit + tsp peanut butter + skim milk + blender) as it's probably not as healthy as I think it is, considering how much sugar is in there. Might ease into smaller and smaller breakfasts until I can wake up without it during the week.

3. Go from 175-180 lbs to 170-175 without cutting back on weightlifting/GAINZ (for scale, I'm 5'10"). Shouldn't be too tough if I can actually stick with 1 and 2 there, though I weighed myself just now and I'm a solid 180 :negative:

BONUS: Get my wife to buy into these goals. Without putting her on blast, she's definitely worse about these factors than I am. She does lift and run with me sometimes but she also works a lot and tends to fall into these bad habits as a way to unwind after a stressful. I think it starts with me setting a good example for her to follow which I admittedly need to work on.

tl,dr: Please work out

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Oct 11, 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Hey this is a good thread full positivity.

I've been a runner for a very long time (competitive in HS and college) and while I still do it today it's not nearly the volume I once did. I also found a trainer at my gym who I really like and I do HIIT dumbbell workouts in a couple of weekly classes he does, with another class focused on barbell work and oly lifting motions once a week or so on top of that. Running and lifting can definitely fit together and benefit each other, feel free to ask me about it (or either by themselves, though I know more about running on its own).

Current fitness/wellness goals are:
1. In bed with electronics off by midnight during the week. I've been averaging six hours of sleep per weeknight over the last month or so and it's rough. Midnight would give me 6.5-7 hours a night which isn't perfect but would really help over a sustained period.

2. Snack less at night/try IF/[insert food consumption-related goal here]. My lunch and dinner during the week already kind of fit into an IF schedule (non-existent snacking at work, lunch around 12:30-1, dinner around 8:30-9), but I definitely need to cut back on junk food after dinner. I'm also not quite brave enough to cut out breakfast entirely like a lot of people suggest for IF, but I do need to get away from my current go-to quick breakfast (banana + berry fruit + tsp peanut butter + skim milk + blender) as it's probably not as healthy as I think it is, considering how much sugar is in there. Might ease into smaller and smaller breakfasts until I can wake up without it during the week.

3. Go from 175-180 lbs to 170-175 without cutting back on weightlifting/GAINZ (for scale, I'm 5'10"). Shouldn't be too tough if I can actually stick with 1 and 2 there, though I weighed myself just now and I'm a solid 180 :negative:

BONUS: Get my wife to buy into these goals. Without putting her on blast, she's definitely worse about these factors than I am. She does lift and run with me sometimes but she also works a lot and tends to fall into these bad habits as a way to unwind after a stressful. I think it starts with me setting a good example for her to follow which I admittedly need to work on.

tl,dr: Please work out

excellent!

just do IF, that'll fix pretty much all the rest of your problems, and you don't have to skip too many breakfasts before your body stops expecting them, and then you just coast on a really steady energy from fat stores until 1ish when you actually start to feel peckish

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Keep doing jiu jitsu imo. I wish I lived near my gym again.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

if anyone has trouble shutting their phone off at night i recommend the app Freedom (https://freedom.to/), it's really good and cannot recommend it enough.

at 8pm my phone bricks entirely. way easier to get to sleep without noodling on instagram or whatever for an hour. im in bed and head to pillow almost immediately now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rocks posted:

if anyone has trouble shutting their phone off at night i recommend the app Freedom (https://freedom.to/), it's really good and cannot recommend it enough.

at 8pm my phone bricks entirely. way easier to get to sleep without noodling on instagram or whatever for an hour. im in bed and head to pillow almost immediately now

unfortunately I'm on call 24/7 as a function of my job so I usually have to force myself to sign off with a truumomeo and then do the oldest trick in the book - read a really, really boring book until my brain shuts down with boredom

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

tinstaach posted:

best i can do is an inspirational video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8NgLSveuOo

The funniest thing about that video is the lat machine is the easiest to do all the plates on and he still fucks it up.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I need to cut bread out and I need something to replace it but I can't quite do it

Help please help

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

buddhanc posted:

I need to cut bread out and I need something to replace it but I can't quite do it

Help please help

Low carb tortillas are gonna be the closest you get beyond riced cauliflower situationally

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

buddhanc posted:

Help please help

eat a lot of brown rice. makes your poops extra smooth

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

eat a lot of brown rice. makes your poops extra smooth

this, but lentils!

vvv THAT IS ALSO ACCEPTABLE vvv

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Oct 11, 2018

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
both together in curried lentils and rice!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Not gonna lie, last time I had curry for dinner the results were...eventful.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Not gonna lie, last time I had curry for dinner the results were...eventful.

I just made a hot sauce that is more or less equal parts local grown garlic/trinidad scorp/ghost pepper puree/lime in a cider vinegar with some other spices, bit of madras curry and paprika

couple days to condition in the fridge and it's gonna be ace. Was tempted to use a curry paste but want it to be shelf stable

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

buddhanc posted:

Help please help

same except cheese

goddrat I love cheese

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
My building at work has a nice little gym with one glaring flaw. no power rack. just a smith machine. one of the struggles I’ve had at just about any gym is not enough powerlifting stuff. is there a decent workout plan for when squats/deadlifts aren’t available?

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

As I said weights aren't nearly as much my thing as cardio, but I am a Henry Rollins fan and he's said some words on the subject.

this was actually really nice

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

ive been into spin classes lately. great way to burn 700-900 cal in an hour. anyone else like these?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

i havrnt worked out in over a month because life is awful and i hate it, but ive taken up chain smoking again and its doing wonders for weight loss. i didtn have that much fat to lose but thanks to the power of nicotine its going away anyways

unfortunately so are my muwcles

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing like 4-5 mile runs lately every other day and just running for like 45 minutes is starting to get insanely boring how do people keep up with this poo poo it's starting to get demotivating.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Padams posted:

My building at work has a nice little gym with one glaring flaw. no power rack. just a smith machine. one of the struggles I’ve had at just about any gym is not enough powerlifting stuff. is there a decent workout plan for when squats/deadlifts aren’t available?

you can look good just using machines but you will have a hard time building real strength. just depends on your goals

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Hostess Snack Cake posted:

i havrnt worked out in over a month because life is awful and i hate it, but ive taken up chain smoking again and its doing wonders for weight loss. i didtn have that much fat to lose but thanks to the power of nicotine its going away anyways

unfortunately so are my muwcles

i cant imagine smoking in 2018. honestly didnt know people still did that.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

lol, just lol, if you don't slowly kill you're self in this, the fourth year of the age of the elevator

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've been doing like 4-5 mile runs lately every other day and just running for like 45 minutes is starting to get insanely boring how do people keep up with this poo poo it's starting to get demotivating.

Once you're able to run 5 miles in a row like that, it does get boring unless you start training for something

Find a half marathon or charity run and set a goal

Or start trail running. Don't step on rocks tho

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I find small ways to vary my route without changing the overall length, plus I add new audiobooks to my headset because apparently I've not made it clear to you all just how much of a nerd I am.

If you're talking about treadmill running then yeah, it's going to get dull as hell after about half an hour. Even if you've got a TV or something there's not a ton you can do about that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Find better running routes, or run for long enough that you become numb to the boredom.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Rocks posted:

ive been into spin classes lately. great way to burn 700-900 cal in an hour. anyone else like these?

I've never done a class, but spin bikes in general are awesome and are one of the two things keeping my gym from being perfect, the only bikes it has are those air bikes where the front wheel is a huge fan.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Find better running routes, or run for long enough that you become numb to the boredom.

I have either a track on the way home from work or down the sidewalk of the busy road by my house being blasted by road noise. Any place that's actually interesting is like a huge ordeal to drive to.

I envy people who like, live near parks or whatever. There's one like a mile and a half from me but a lap there is like a half mile.

I've never really been that ambitious so I'm not really that goal-motivated. It makes sticking to poo poo pretty hard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

squats done right are super brutal, draining, and have the longest and most debilitating DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness - aka the soreness the next day) of all the main lifts

I understand people being mad at squats now because I am still sore even though I wasn't doing jack poo poo amount of weights, and the internet tells me I can't go back to the gym if I'm still sore and stiff.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Squats are life.

I hate burpees more. And walking lunges.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I understand people being mad at squats now because I am still sore even though I wasn't doing jack poo poo amount of weights, and the internet tells me I can't go back to the gym if I'm still sore and stiff.

sure ya can, just stretch a bunch and if it's still brutal work other muscle groups

it gets less debilitating in a pretty short amount of time, you'll actually miss DOMS eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have either a track on the way home from work or down the sidewalk of the busy road by my house being blasted by road noise. Any place that's actually interesting is like a huge ordeal to drive to.

I envy people who like, live near parks or whatever. There's one like a mile and a half from me but a lap there is like a half mile.

I've never really been that ambitious so I'm not really that goal-motivated. It makes sticking to poo poo pretty hard.

I live in a big city so I'm kind of in the same boat. There's a really nice running area on the other side of town but it's two miles on foot just to get there and the thought of driving somewhere to then run just feels kind of wrong to me.

Managed to be asleep by 12:30 last night which isn't where I want to be but is an improvement over the past week. Then my wife came to bed like an hour later and was goofing around on her phone which woke me up :argh: "Breakfast" was a single mandarin orange which is still probably too sugary but fewer calories and I haven't keeled over dead at work yet. Have a little bit of a headache though, which I'm sure is related.