Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

infernal machines posted:

It's in Peel, more than half the students are part of visible minority groups.

Those numbers are from the TDSB study, but your second point still stands in relation to the schools that had the SROs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

Statistics don't work like that dude. You can't just ignore the third to a half of students responding not sure to these questions. That's bad arguing from improper data. A majority felt safer because of the program is fine, but not a 5:1 ratio. Nowhere near that.

Nearly half, but not enough to be a majority, wanted it to continue. Those are much more nuanced conclusions you can draw from the data that are actually supported.

Of students 47% wanted it to continue. 7% wanted it to end.

But lets say the students are idiots and don't know whats good for them. How about a study about SROs in peel instead? Wonder what its findings were

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/01/18/carlton-study-proves-tdsb-was-wrong-to-remove-cops-from-schools.html

Herewith some of the key put-to-shame findings from the 258-page analysis:

“All students . . . indicated that they felt significantly safer at school and less stressed and anxious” with an SRO in their midst.
Those who had been victims of bullying and/or violence (16 per cent of students surveyed) reported feeling significantly safer after experiencing the SRO program for five months, both at school and in their commute to school, with fewer students skipping classes because they’d been bullied or feared they would be bullied.
Both students and staff expressed feeling safer because the SROs could defuse problematic situations or stop them before they escalated.
Staff benefited from police support because they spent less time on disciplinary matters and property damage.
Because SROs are more likely to recommend diversion when appropriate, students were more likely to avoid criminal charges.

I know it seems like a non-progressive policy to have cops in schools. But it helps these ones.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MagicCube posted:

Those numbers are from the TDSB study, but your second point still stands in relation to the schools that had the SROs.

The study referenced in both The Star and Natpo was of PDSB students

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The study referenced in both The Star and Natpo was of PDSB students

Right, but the stats we're talking about came from the TDSB survey that zapplez posted, not the PDSB study. Regardless, the situation in Peel can't be compared to Toronto. There are so many different factors at play between the SRO programs themselves, the reasons they were created, etc. for the PDSB SRO program to not meaningfully compare to the TDSB program.

Here's one of the results to a question in the Peel survey:

Also:
Students approving of the program is at: 53% (1st time) and 60% (2nd time)
Students answer to the question if they are feeling safer due to the SRO is "half the time or more" is at: 74% (1st time) and 70% (2nd time)
Students who agreed that the program is making them feeling safer: 46% (1st time) and 45% (2nd time)

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 11, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Thanks, I missed that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zapplez posted:

I know it seems like a non-progressive policy to have cops in schools. But it helps these ones.

Cops closely intertwined in the communities they serve is progressive as hell. A cop-free society just isn't practical at high population levels. If you have to have cops you want to have as many of them be good cops as possible. A fearful us-against-them culture that pits the police against the population (or a portion of the population) makes more cops into bad cops. A fearful cop is a dangerous cop. Get the cops out of their cars an into the community talking with normal people every day to remind everyone that we're all people together.

Obviously you shouldn't tell Officer Friendly about all the crimes you and your friends are committing though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yeeeeeah...good luck with the Constitutional argument against a private corporation, genius.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Agreed, what seems to matter is the people they assign and the goals of the school resource officers.

Poorly structured goals or bad cops assigned to schools does more harm then good and if the takeaway of the Toronto school resource officer program made more people distrustful and antagonistic towards police it needed to be shut down, reevaluated and made better.

Peel's program from MagicCube's post seems to be having a positive impact.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chillyrabbit posted:

Agreed, what seems to matter is the people they assign and the goals of the school resource officers.

Poorly structured goals or bad cops assigned to schools does more harm then good and if the takeaway of the Toronto school resource officer program made more people distrustful and antagonistic towards police it needed to be shut down, reevaluated and made better.

Peel's program from MagicCube's post seems to be having a positive impact.

"School resource officer" is 1984-level doublethink, if you're going to say such dumb things you can at least use real words

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's in a name? That which we call a cop
By any other word would be a bastard

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You people are loving delusional if you think the Canadian police have the best interests of the kids at these schools in mind or that they're going to be a legitimate part of the community and use their authority to genuinely help the people they pretend they're here to protect.

Rich white people are the worst.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ChairMaster posted:

You people are loving delusional if you think the Canadian police have the best interests of the kids at these schools in mind or that they're going to be a legitimate part of the community and use their authority to genuinely help the people they pretend they're here to protect.

Chill out, Canada's school systems have always done well for the marginalized. You could practically reside in them!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Butcher posted:

That's fuckin' crazy. I worked at Staples like 10 years ago and all the managers were paid ok. Nothing luxurious but enough to live off with a normal quality of life.

Retail is hell man.

I also started doing that, realized it was useless, and switched to philosophy after first year instead. :v:

Luckily I know how to poke the buttons on the computer to make it go again so I was able to actually get jobs (the phil. degree actually makes a decent conversation starter in interviews), but jeez boomer parents, we could have saved a lot of time and money there without the bad advice of "just get a degree, any degree!".

Yea these days companies primary way to increase revenue is to have as few employees as possible and pay them as little as possible. And people with no "real skills" (because no one considered being able to deal with customers as a real skill) are desperate for jobs, they can get away with paying people peanuts.

See i know how to use a computer, but I have zero programming or coding skills. I don't know how old a lot of you are, but when I was in school they seperated kids once they got to Jr High into the Good at Math class and the bad at math class. If you were in the good at math class, you were seen as having a real future, because being good at math is more important than anything. If you were in the bad at math class, welp, i guess you can become a bricklayer or pipefitter if you're lucky. Thing is, if you got stuck in the Bad At Math class, you instantly were closed off to anything other than arts stuff in University. You could do history or English, philosophy or fine arts if you had talents that way, but even if you wanted to go to another level of eduction like law school or whatever, you were hosed.

Thing is, they didn't care why you were bad at math. Lazy or kids who didn't give a poo poo were in the same class as people with legitimate problems. I was diagnosted early with Dyscalcula along with Dyslexia, but lol it wasn't because I had trouble properly writing or remember numbers, it was because I wasn't trying. Have every math teacher yell at you for getting 0 on tests constantly because you transpose a 1 and a 4 constantly is really great.

To expand on my Cop Band comment, we were shuttled twice in jr high to see Blue Thunder, which was about as lame as you can imagine. A bunch of middle aged cops playing Electric Slide in a gym with messages about don't do drugs and drinking age is 19!

This is actually way cooler than they were
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIoMuoD-OsY

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

ChairMaster posted:

Thread: discusses whether having cops present in inner city schools is helpful or not to curb kids joining up with their older sibling's gangs, and also reducing violence in the schools.

ChairMaster: That post above.

:hmmyes:

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 11, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha yea I'm sure having cops around to harass and intimidate and actively try to ruin the lives of any kids who might have smoked weed before is definitely gonna help keep them out of trouble and not foster resentment and hostility towards the entire legal system of authority. That makes perfect sense.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Butcher posted:

Thread: discusses whether having cops present in inner city schools is helpful or not to curb kids joining up with their older sibling's gangs, and also reducing violence in the schools.

ChairMaster: That post above.

:hmmyes:

I don't want to hear "Thread"'s take on TAVIS lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I guess you could ignore the posters here who went to schools with SROs, because whatever.

I didn't like them then and I don't like them now, police integration with the community is critical, but I don't think uniformed armed officers in schools is the best way to do it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

I don't want to hear "Thread"'s take on TAVIS lmao

For clarity, I'm talking about inner city schools in Surrey, BC, so we all might be talking past each other here East-West wise, is likely a different kettle of fish.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
bad joke

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 11, 2018

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea these days companies primary way to increase revenue is to have as few employees as possible and pay them as little as possible. And people with no "real skills" (because no one considered being able to deal with customers as a real skill) are desperate for jobs, they can get away with paying people peanuts.

See i know how to use a computer, but I have zero programming or coding skills. I don't know how old a lot of you are, but when I was in school they seperated kids once they got to Jr High into the Good at Math class and the bad at math class. If you were in the good at math class, you were seen as having a real future, because being good at math is more important than anything. If you were in the bad at math class, welp, i guess you can become a bricklayer or pipefitter if you're lucky. Thing is, if you got stuck in the Bad At Math class, you instantly were closed off to anything other than arts stuff in University. You could do history or English, philosophy or fine arts if you had talents that way, but even if you wanted to go to another level of eduction like law school or whatever, you were hosed.

Thing is, they didn't care why you were bad at math. Lazy or kids who didn't give a poo poo were in the same class as people with legitimate problems. I was diagnosted early with Dyscalcula along with Dyslexia, but lol it wasn't because I had trouble properly writing or remember numbers, it was because I wasn't trying. Have every math teacher yell at you for getting 0 on tests constantly because you transpose a 1 and a 4 constantly is really great.

You could stay after school, in during recesses and lunch hours for months at a time, your working class parents could -somehow- pay for a private math tutor and after all the struggling and the effort and the raw stress they heaped upon you, the report card would come back the same: "_____ isn't applying themselves." And of course, the responsibility for all that would be placed entirely on your already overburdened little shoulders. Believe me, our experience is widely shared. It occurs to me if those fuckers could actually teach useful math in a way most people could learn, the population would be better positioned to see through the lies of repeated liberal and conservative governments.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tighclops posted:

You could stay after school, in during recesses and lunch hours for months at a time, your working class parents could -somehow- pay for a private math tutor and after all the struggling and the effort and the raw stress they heaped upon you, the report card would come back the same: "_____ isn't applying themselves." And of course, the responsibility for all that would be placed entirely on your already overburdened little shoulders. Believe me, our experience is widely shared. It occurs to me if those fuckers could actually teach useful math in a way most people could learn, the population would be better positioned to see through the lies of repeated liberal and conservative governments.

Exactly. I worked my rear end off trying to pass grade 11 math, and got a 49.5%. Had to repeat it, with the same teacher and got the same mark.

And yea, teaching math by making you memorize rather than applying is a terrible way to go for a lot of people, not to mention math is an easy way to gauge someone because its a right or wrong thing.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly. I worked my rear end off trying to pass grade 11 math, and got a 49.5%. Had to repeat it, with the same teacher and got the same mark.

And yea, teaching math by making you memorize rather than applying is a terrible way to go for a lot of people, not to mention math is an easy way to gauge someone because its a right or wrong thing.

Sounds like you might've dodged a bullet cause the next step is you get to university comp sci / math and get a guy with the thickest chinese or indian accent they could find who doesn't give a poo poo about teaching a class of 500 morons. I love ragging on pre-secondary math teachers but their only saving grace is that they get you a bit ready for having to learn a lot of that on your own.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Sounds like you might've dodged a bullet cause the next step is you get to university comp sci / math and get a guy with the thickest chinese or indian accent they could find who doesn't give a poo poo about teaching a class of 500 morons. I love ragging on pre-secondary math teachers but their only saving grace is that they get you a bit ready for having to learn a lot of that on your own.

If you are lucky you get the grad student who hasn't been crushed yet and it's eager to teach.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

xtal posted:

bad joke

If it was about Surrey, there's no such thing as "Too Far".

Prince George: #3 on my "Places in B.C. That Need To Be Purged With Fire" list.

Imagine substituing "dilbit" for "natural gas" in the above article. It wouldn't be inconveniencing 70% of the natural gas consumers in B.C., but the environment would have a few more problems than a giant crater and scorch marks.

Cerepol posted:

If you are lucky you get the grad student who hasn't been crushed yet and it's eager to teach.

Yeah, that's how I finally twigged that calculus is cool and good, after failing with the high-priced staff.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hi everyone there's a methodological problem with that Peel study that everyone's talking about and that is that they don't give you the data on what minorities think about the school cops.

When they talk about demographics, they say slightly over 1 in 4 students self-identified as a minority. But when they do their crosstabs breakdown, they don't bother to tell us if those students' views differ from the majority. They give us four breakdowns of smaller groups:
  • Students who have had contact with the school cop tend to have slightly more positive views of the police than those who have not had contact with them
  • Female students have a slightly more positive view of the school cop than male students, and students who prefer not to state their gender (about 1 in 20 students in the study) have the least positive view of them
  • Students who have been stopped by the police before have a significantly more negative view of the school cop, including a significantly higher score on the response "Police pick on youth/minorities"
  • Students who have been the victims of crimes feel safer having the school cop there

So we get a little hint that minorities who have had interactions with the police are not pleased about having one in their school, but they don't give us the full data. It's also telling that one of the negative adjectives they say was associated with the police by those who answered with negative feelings about the police was "racist". We also get a hint that people who don't fit into the gender binary are less comfortable having police around, which is also unsurprising but unexamined.

To be frank, this is a huge methodological flaw and if I were peer-reviewing this paper I would tell them it was not publishable without including that data. Police have a long history of oppressing minorities in our society and it's not good enough to say "a majority of people like having police in schools" when a majority of people are white. No poo poo white people love having police around, the police's role in our society is often to violently maintain white supremacy. Without knowing what proportion of the people who felt uncomfortable having police in their schools were minorities, we absolutely cannot accurately assess the outcome of this program. By not including that particular crosstab, they've delegitimized a lot of the positive things they say because we can't say who is benefiting from those positive outcomes. It's possible that the positives and negatives are evenly spread across the school's racial makeup and the project is in fact having more of a positive than a negative impact, but it's also possible that the school cop was making minorities feel uncomfortable and less welcome in what's supposed to be a safe place of learning and development. We just don't know because they didn't tell us.

And there's no way in hell I'm reading a Christie Blatchford article on the subject, but I'm betting she didn't raise this as an issue because as long as the white people are doing better that's fine with her.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A good post.

This is one of those cases where if a particular minority has serious problems with a policy, you should make drat sure you know why that is, rather than just 'the majority likes it, it's fine.'

Let alone the simplest indicator: if you're on the same side as a Christie Blatchford or Margaret Wente column, you're probably on the wrong side.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That’s some real world experience lesson being taught right there, if you make it out of the class successfully you can thrive in the workplace with individuals from Asia, SE-Asia, Russia, post-Soviet countries, and sometimes Israelis. Unless you’re at a startup in which case this doesn’t apply.

They really did segregate good and math and bad at math people in HS.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

Police have a long history of oppressing minorities in our society and it's not good enough to say "a majority of people like having police in schools" when a majority of people are white.

It's in Peel, more than half the students are part of visible minority groups.

vyelkin posted:

Without knowing what proportion of the people who felt uncomfortable having police in their schools were minorities, we absolutely cannot accurately assess the outcome of this program. By not including that particular crosstab, they've delegitimized a lot of the positive things they say because we can't say who is benefiting from those positive outcomes. It's possible that the positives and negatives are evenly spread across the school's racial makeup and the project is in fact having more of a positive than a negative impact, but it's also possible that the school cop was making minorities feel uncomfortable and less welcome in what's supposed to be a safe place of learning and development. We just don't know because they didn't tell us.

I'd be especially suspicious of information gathered from first-generation immigrants because of how they'd become accustomed to dealing with authority before coming here.

(Also that reminded me of a recent immigrant YP I diverted, and if his social media's to be believed it seems like he's doing pretty all right now :unsmith:)

Another problem I have with the survey is that it's only gathering info from one side. How do the cops getting rotated through those positions feel about their community before and after? Are they more engaged? Trustworthy? Are they more likely to want to engage people to find solutions that don't involve charges? Are they less likely to be accused of misconduct? When in Peel, why not bring back Peelism?

Why was the program really instituted in the first place? To make students feel more comfortable seeing Officer Friendly around, priming them for disappointment and a lifetime of ignored NDP votes when they hit the real world and run into the sort of weaponized assholery that the whole system seems set up to encourage?

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 11, 2018

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

littleorv posted:

I’m probably going to live in Manitoba until the day I die.

Kill me

Same but Alberta. I’d say we both lose, friendo. :[

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Vintersorg posted:

Oh no, you get to live a somewhat affordable life. Whatever will you do.

Yeah I feel a lot different about my post today. Sorry for throwing that lovely attitude in your faces.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I'd be especially suspicious of information gathered from first-generation immigrants because of how they'd become accustomed to dealing with authority before coming here.

(Also that reminded me of a recent immigrant YP I diverted, and if his social media's to be believed it seems like he's doing pretty all right now :unsmith:)

Another problem I have with the survey is that it's only gathering info from one side. How do the cops getting rotated through those positions feel about their community before and after? Are they more engaged? Trustworthy? Are they more likely to want to engage people to find solutions that don't involve charges? Are they less likely to be accused of misconduct? When in Peel, why not bring back Peelism?

Why was the program really instituted in the first place? To make students feel more comfortable seeing Officer Friendly around, priming them for disappointment and a lifetime of ignored NDP votes when they hit the real world and run into the sort of weaponized assholery that the whole system seems set up to encourage?

In the survey only a quarter of kids identified as a minority, well below "more than half".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

madmatt112 posted:

Yeah I feel a lot different about my post today. Sorry for throwing that lovely attitude in your faces.

I don't think you said anything. It was aimed at the sad sack lamenting living in Winnipeg/Manitoba their entire life.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

And of course the responses weren't broken down by ethnicity so we can only make (fairly educated) guesses about the makeup of the students and how they reacted to a cop in the school, whose race also isn't important for some reason.

Seems to me like an easier way to put minority students at ease with cops is to get cops to not show up in the news as often for being rabid assholes to members of minority groups, but that's just my mooneyed idealism talking.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hey finally there's a poll about Vancouver council candidate slates!

https://twitter.com/mario_canseco/status/1050402328841457664

quote:

Vancouver, BC [October 11, 2018] – Voters in Vancouver continue to take a serious look at candidates from the Green Party and Independents as they contemplate their options in the election to City Council, a new Research Co. poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative sample of City of Vancouver residents, 51% (+5 since September) say they will “definitely” or “probably” consider supporting Green Party of Vancouver candidates in this month’s municipal ballot.

A similarly high proportion of Vancouverites (50%, +12) say they will “definitely” or “probably” consider voting for any of the 27 independent candidates that will be listed on the ballot.

“The electorate’s appetite for independent voices is high across all age groups in Vancouver,” says Mario Canseco, President of Research Co. “A majority of voters aged 55 and over (57%) are considering independent candidates for one of their 10 votes.”

When it comes to established political parties, 35% of Vancouverites (+5) say they would “definitely” or “probably” consider voting for City Council candidates from the Non-Partisan Association (NPA), and 34% (+2) feel the same way about contenders from the Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE).

The level of consideration is currently lower for candidates representing Vision Vancouver (27%, -3), Yes Vancouver (23%, -1), ProVancouver (22%, +13), Coalition Vancouver (22%, +9), One City (21%, +2) and Vancouver First (16%, +4).

Looks like a GREEN/COPE/NPA council is possible. Welp sorry YIMBYs :negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Hey finally there's a poll about Vancouver council candidate slates!

https://twitter.com/mario_canseco/status/1050402328841457664

Looks like a GREEN/COPE/NPA council is possible. Welp sorry YIMBYs :negative:

At least loving Wai Young doesn't have a chance

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

We had a wildlife officer come in to talk about bears and other animals a few times. Then one day he came in to talk about gun safety and handed around a shotgun for us pass around. The plan was that after we had all handled it he would unload it in front of the class to show it was actually loaded (*gasp!*) and that you should always treat a gun as loaded!!! (I guess it had no firing pins or something). This fell apart when a kid unloaded it instead and the shells fell on the floor.

I tried to argue that if all guns should be treated as loaded then he should face some consequences for handing around a loaded shotgun, but that's just odiv being odiv. :rolleyes:
I re-took the PAL unrestricted course a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure instructor's head would have exploded if I'd told a story like that.

"Always treat it like it's loaded" is an iron-clad rule, but the way to demonstrate that rule is not (in my opinion) to hand around a disabled, loaded firearm to a room full of teenagers. As you saw, any semi-competent individual there (e.g. a student who had taken the PAL-for-minors course, or who just had good habits imparted to them by relatives) would rapidly expose the officer's "clever" plan by dumping the mag from the shotgun. The standard practice at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre when returning a predator-deterent (12-ga pump-action shotgun if you had a PAL, starter pistol if you didn't) was to pump it half-a-dozen times before and after handing it to another person. If any cartridges fell out, you weren't allowed to sign out any guns for a period of time.

Cerepol posted:

This was my 2nd-year "Intro to Stats" instructor, one of only two or three non-professors I had as primary instructors during my undergrad. He was a PhD student in Math, and in September he was thrilled to be put in charge of his very own class; by mid-November he was clearly phoning it in and just going through the motions, thinking only of the horrible load of marking he'd have to do after the final exam. Breaking his spirit was fun.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

Having lived in both places Winnipeg and Edmonton are essentially the exact same city. The only differences are Edmonton has a bigger mall, more pickup trucks and more assholes (albertans)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think you said anything. It was aimed at the sad sack lamenting living in Winnipeg/Manitoba their entire life.

Yeah, the way I see it is that I can actually afford to do or have nice things and maybe even save for retirement on a mid-five-figure salary while still having comfortable living arrangements. I had some friends visit from Vancouver and they couldn't believe what I'm paying for my place, and that I can live there without needing roommates.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg is pretty great. I mean I wish it weren't flat as a board and full of meth fueled bike thieves and homicidal drivers now that I make a living selling bikes and compete in the local racing scene but other than that it's pretty great. Better than being broke despite making more than the median income and not doing anything due to crowds and commute duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've lived in Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Guelph, Saskatoon, Waterloo, Quebec, and now Sudbury. There are things I've liked about all of the places, and things I didn't like. Some of those things are due to the province (e.g. Quebec and Ontario have quite different approaches to owning and driving a car, especially one brought in from another province), most are due to the municipality (Quebec and Vancouver have public-transit systems that are head-and-shoulders above anywhere else I've lived).
There are assholes everywhere, in great abundance and the tiny differences in proportions and assholes-specifically-about-specific-issues are meaningless; do you really care if it's actually 74% instead of 76% of the people you talk to on any given day that are total shitheads about funding for public services?
There are climate-trashing numbers of climate-trashing full-size and lifted/oversize pickups everywhere. I had thought that was an Alberta thing or a prairie thing but southern Ontario and Quebec are nearly as in love with big, black, loud brodozers as everywhere else.
And there are (thankfully not many) right-wing shitheads who will loudly proclaim their love for Trump and fervent desire for His Exhaulted Cheeto to annex Canada everywhere.

Cost of living is the only thing that seems to vary in a systematic way among the cities I've lived in. Rent has been pretty stable for me from Saskatoon to Sudbury, and the cost of food hasn't changed much. Quebec has cheaper and more easily-obtained beer, which is great, but otherwise I don't see a whole lot of differences beyond the obviously-higher rents in Vancouver and the joys of having one's nearest airport be a commuter-feeder that only flies to the three nearest big cities.