Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Patter Song posted:

Boo. I already told him to name an Abra "Lalah," and I think it's much more specific. I guess other Psychic types could be, like, Chalia or Paptimus (too many letters? Scirocco would be as well) or Rosamia or Four or something.
And I liked that suggestion for Abra, else I wouldn't have called for generic psychic :v:
Point taken, If you get a cute little guy with a club call it Barbatos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Y'all are making some pretty big assumptions when you act like I'm going to successfully capture an Abra (or any other Psychic) anytime soon.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Btw, I forgot to mention... isn't there something optional to see on Bill's computer after you return him to normal? Or was that removed for this version?

I did a quick run back, and there is indeed something there. Oops!

Edward Mass posted:

On Route 6, you'll run into my favorite Pokémon. Please name him Kai, after my favorite MSG character.

Isn't Route 5 the next one? :confused:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Seyser Koze posted:

Y'all are making some pretty big assumptions when you act like I'm going to successfully capture an Abra (or any other Psychic) anytime soon.

It's well worth the effort, trust me...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Seyser Koze posted:

Isn't Route 5 the next one? :confused:

I think the numeration of the routes starts to be a bit more arbitrary, once the game opens up slightly.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

sebzilla posted:

Dig was amazing in Gen 1 and then got nerfed pretty hard
100 Power in Gen 1, reduced to just 60 here. Such a shame.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
You Cut Me Deep, Game

It's nice to see the game give my efforts some respect once in a while. :smuggo:

We've been leaning pretty heavily on Char and Amuro, so for a little while I think I'm going to bench them in favor of Camille and Quattro some people who need levels.

Before we move on, though...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Btw, I forgot to mention... isn't there something optional to see on Bill's computer after you return him to normal? Or was that removed for this version?

It's time to go... *sigh...* back to Bill's.

Not really, no. But the audience must be appeased.

Aww.

This is going to be one of those you-have-to-pick-one cases, isn't it?

Anyway, after getting a safe distance from Bill I remember I have a couple key items in my inventory. The Moon Stone can't actually be used on anybody in my current lineup, while the Star Piece and Nugget are apparently just hockable for cash. I'll leave them there in case I get whupped by a trainer a dozen times and lose all my money.

We can go south or east from here. One of the gray dots to the east is described as a tunnel, so I'm not going that way. Tunnels probably have bats, and gently caress bats.

Also, according to Misty we now have the ability to deal with a certain obstacle. :getin:

Yes, game, I'd like you to cut the tree now.

The tree. Cut it.

...Game?

...Maybe it's in the key items.

...Okay, maybe it counts as a TM?

...Or maybe we use it from the status screen.

Our trainer card shows that we definitely have the second badge, but we can't actually access or use it in any way.

Also we have a completely blank page for some reason. All right, let's go ask Misty how the heck her badge works.

...I want a refund on this badge, Misty.

So around this time I assumed there was some obscure button combination for Cut that I didn't know, so I resorted to googling for the answer, only to discover that the Cascade Badge doesn't cut things for you at all, it just "allows" you to use Cut when you eventually learn the skill from a different source. That's some bullshit, game. I died to Misty twice for this badge.

Luckily we don't need to cut the tree to head south; it just opens a shortcut that I'm going to sorely wish I had before too long. We can still go through the burglarized house and go around. Which I do, onto Route 5.

Route 5 consists of two roads going south and a bunch of terraces in the middle. The middle is where all the grass is, so that's where I go.

Wild Pokemon are getting up in levels. Also I can't help but notice how different my Pidgey's pose looks from her opponent, like she's waving. Eyyyyyyyy!

Before too long I run into one of these guys. Wrong gender for capturing, though.

The grass in this route seems to be limited to Pidgey, Meowth, and this Oddish. With only Leech Life for an attack, Zukrello has some trouble damaging opponents. Against an enemy like Oddish who also relies on health-draining enemies, the bat actually does all right. Every so often the Oddish tries to use some status effect or similar, so we can gradually edge it out and get a decent little boost in experience.

We still have to make regular trips back to the Pokecenter, though, making it even more annoying that we still can't cut trees. I feel like special comment is deserved for how annoying this particular part of Cerulean City's geography is, though. It's directly south of where you exit from the crime-scene house, and I lost count of the number of times I accidentally jumped over this ridge and had to run all the way back around. :argh:

Anyway, a little later we catch us a kitty.

Edward Mass posted:

On Route 6, you'll run into my favorite Pokémon. Please name him Kai, after my favorite MSG character.

It's Route 5 instead of 6, but here we are.

Also Laurie eventually learns Gust and I discover that it works pretty well on plants. Nice.

Eventually I've had enough leveling (spoiler: my crew is still too low) and keep heading south. The series of terraces in Route 5 ends at this building. Near as I can tell, this old dude will auto-level your Pokemon for you, which seems like it might be nice? Unless he makes your skill selection choices for you or something.

I leave Glemy Ratotto here for the time being, although that may not be wise in the long run. We all know how he tends to get... ambitions.

Just beyond the daycare are these two buildings. Saffron City is just beyond, so let's go visit the Pokecenter there before anything

:doh: This guy must be a relative of Coffee Geezer from Viridian City. Such is the force of his personality that we're compelled to reverse course whenever we step in front of him.

Fakeout! We're not going to Saffron City at all.

Inside we meet this girl, who wants to make a trade. I didn't have any trouble catching a male Nidoran, although I have a sneaking feeling that the last place I saw one was before I got trapped on this side of Mount Moon. On the other hand, I don't know if the females are even available in this version of the game, while I will hopefully get the ability to return to the western region at some point. So I head back to Cerulean, get my Nidoran, and bring it back for the exchange.

There's an animation of your Pokemon getting beamed through hammerspace...

And there we go! We don't get to pick the nickname, though, so there go my plans to name her Nidovenus.

...Wait, what's that in the item slot?

Huh. :lsd:

"He just loving loves these mushrooms, man!"

The underground path is just an underground tunnel, thankfully devoid of enemies.

It goes on...

And on...

And on, for a bit. You know we're going to have to run back and forth through this to get healed up, too.

...I am not going back through there to investigate every tile for hidden items.

Route 6! The map quickly shows that we've gone clear to the other side of Saffron, with just a little way to go to Vermilion City.

The north end of the route is just a mirror image of its northern counterpart.

The grass seems to have the same enemies, but one thing this route does have that the other lacked is trainers.

This kid just has the standard Viridian Forest bugs, but at much higher level than we're used to.

Also they can poison rocks. :stare:

That's probably wise, although it seems like a bit of a shame if Caterpie and Weedle are the only two bugs in the game.

A little further on these two seem to be having a tryst of some kind. Let's butt in!

That's fair. Hey, we've finally given somebody a legit reason to start a fight with us!

The Rock learns a new trick! I don't now if Defense Curl is necessarily the best move to drop, but given that he's a freaking rock, if something is able to do damage to him I'm probably using the wrong Pokemon.

We see our first trainer-owned Pikachu, and The Rock promptly squishes it.

:toot:

Hey, we've all got to lose sometime. It's not like you were vaporized by a UFO starfish or anything.

Meanwhile, her boyfriend was somehow oblivious to the magnitude-8 earthquake happening right next to him.

:stare:

That's not what I expected.

Thankfully, despite the high level, Camper!Squirtle can still be worn down through a team effort.

:black101:

They're not even talking to each other, they're just sort of whispering into space. I think I broke them.

Just past the whispering couple is yet another bug catcher, with just one Pokemon. This should be interes---

Welp. :dogbutton:

Still, there's six of us, we should be able to bring this guy down by sheer weight of numbers as well! Right?

:doh:

:doh::doh:

:doh::doh::doh:

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

(not pictured: Zukrello getting confused and then pummeling itself almost to death)

Well, somewhere in there we managed to land a poison, which slowly whittles the demonic hellmoth's health away while it spends turns multi-sleeping and multi-confusing my pets.

Hmm, let's see.

One bug managed to incapacitate most of my team, so no, I don't think either of those is the issue, kid.

(Also, Butterfree can put enemies to sleep, you say? :raise: )

On my way back from Cerulean I stop in at the day care and see that Glemy's already gained 4 levels. There's no space in my party to take him back, though. Hopefully I remember to take care of this before the bill gets too high.

Back at Route 6, there's one final pair of trainers near the southern end of the path.

This girl's three Pokemon are all Pidgeys.

Not using three Pidgeys, for starters.

If I wanted to talk to you I'D BE FACING YOU LET ME THROUGH ALREADY :argh:

Bird.

And SWEET JESUS WHAT IS THAT

The giant murderrodent has teeth that can chew through stone.

YOU HAVE A GIANT MURDERRODENT WITH TEETH THAT CAN CHEW THROUGH STONE, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

We're here! It's not the place we set out to visit, but we'll take it! For now!

Sounds like the place might have a local pollution problem?

I think we can worry about that another day, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That Butterfree trainer is a rude surprise to most people playing through their first time. It's so delightfully vicious compared to all the trainers that have come before. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Trainers are better sources of EXP than wild Pokemon, as a note.

And yeah, Defense Curl is pretty lame. Its only real value is if your Pokemon is low-level but also happens to know Rollout. Then you can do a combo of Defense Curl + Rollout which boosts the latter's damage.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Good going. And yeah, the "Allows you to use Cut" thing is just there so that you can't just skip Misty on the way to getting the thing that lets you use Cut and come back to her just to get her badge at the very end.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vandar posted:

That Butterfree trainer is a rude surprise to most people playing through their first time. It's so delightfully vicious compared to all the trainers that have come before. :allears:
I always have Charmander/meleon with me so I just set it on fire and it dies.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Good going. And yeah, the "Allows you to use Cut" thing is just there so that you can't just skip Misty on the way to getting the thing that lets you use Cut and come back to her just to get her badge at the very end.

But you can skip Misty and do exactly that? The trigger that opens the robbed house is visiting Bill. You can skip the 3rd gym for a very long time, too, but you do have to beat Misty to progress.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The whole reason for the field moves you can only use after getting badges is so you don't unlock the entire game by just trading in pokes who know those moves.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

And SWEET JESUS WHAT IS THAT

The giant murderrodent has teeth that can chew through stone.

Actually, yeah. That's a thing they're notable for.

Pokemon Gold Pokedex posted:

Raticate
Gnaws on anything with its tough fangs. It can even topple concrete buildings by gnawing on them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Faylone posted:

Actually, yeah. That's a thing they're notable for.

It's a thing regular rats are known for. If anything, Raticate is behind the curve on that front given its size.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Raticate is so angry in the main games. But it's pretty cute in the manga.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Raticate is so angry in the main games. But it's pretty cute in the manga.

It’s amazing hot much the design is improved just with the ability to close its mouth.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

It’s amazing hot much the design is improved just with the ability to close its mouth.

They rounded its eyes more too, I think.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
It's because it's the Yellow arc. Yellow makes everything cuter by association.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Bumping so I don't lose another LP that I'm totally going to continue to the archives.

Work, school, and depression have been eating up a lot of my time for the past two months, but I'll try to get back on track within the next couple of weeks.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Please do I want to read more!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've enjoyed this a lot so far and am glad to hear that it's not dead :). Continue doing what makes you stay healthy first of course, but if it helps: this is cool and people are enjoying your stuff!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Simply Simon posted:

I've enjoyed this a lot so far and am glad to hear that it's not dead :). Continue doing what makes you stay healthy first of course, but if it helps: this is cool and people are enjoying your stuff!

:same:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Simply Simon posted:

:emptyquote:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hope you feel better soon! I know school gets pretty intense around this time of year. I'm excited to keep following along in the future!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Glad to hear it's not forgotten! I hope you feel better enough to work on it again soon.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
all right, where the gently caress was i

I Want To Ride My Bicycle, I Want To Ride My Bike

Last time was marked by a long tunnel and a conspicuous lack of tree-cutting.

We left off here, next to some old guy.

An old guy with a useful pointer, as it turns out. Well, we do have a cruise ticket...

But first, we need to recharge after the drubbing we took right at the end of the last route.

I kinda miss the "Your Pokemon are fighting fit!" message from the original game's centers. It's the only line of dialogue I remember (aside from "smell you later," I guess).

This girl seems a bit bloodthirsty. Have we met? Is she coming to take revenge? It's been a few months and I can't remember.

Actually she's assuming WE are the bloodthirsty ones and hands over a new toy. Apparently this will let Kat re-fight trainers she's already taken down. Now we can farm for cash! Or lose horribly. We'll see.

Welp, time to go poke a Pikachu until the battery's charged, I guess. Everybody else in here just gives gameplay advice, so Kat heads back outside.

Sun? What sun? We haven't seen the sky all game!

GWARGHLBRGH! :q:

Does this qualify as slave labor? :can:

That's actually about it for the people outside in this town, so let's start with the building next to the Pokecenter.

Wow, that's two free giveaways in one town? :captainpop: This place is much friendlier than Cerulean was.

Let's try our new... uh, old fishing rod out.

Sitting and waiting with no reward. It's just like fishing in real life! :imunfunny:

Of course, immediately after that I start getting bites. Nothing but low-level Makikarp, though, so I get the feeling we'll need to wait for some better fishing spots (or a better rod?) to catch anything different.

This also means I could've had a Magikarp for free instead of paying 500 P-Bills before Mount Moon. Discovering this is like the perfect finish to that entire episode. :troll:

This guy in the Pokemart seems to be referring to Team Rocket. That or it's poking fun at the playerbase.

:hai:

We continue barging into people's homes and come to this girl, who wants to trade this... whatever it is, in exchange for a Spearow. I've put a little too much time into leveling mine to fork it over, so I'll come back when I've caught a fresh one.

In the southwest corner of town we have this building. I'm not sure how that logo means "fan club," unless it's supposed to be a picture of a literal fan. Maybe it's a club where people sit around fanning themselves.

Nope, it's just fans of Pokemon. We've got a girl with a Seel, a boy with a Pikachu, and another girl who's managed to capture... uh...

Oh, he's just another fan. :sweatdrop:

Sure, let's humor him.

:shepface:

:shepicide:

...Oh, we're done? Phew, that was close! Almost didn't make it.

Okay, this is pretty sweet.

...Good thing I didn't trade my Spearow away, I guess!

South of the fan club is the Vermilion Gym, guarded by... a tree. My old enemy. :argh:

Last we have a house containing these two, who talk about using their Pidgeys to deliver mail. The letter on the table is bound for Saffron, which is otherwise off-limits at the moment.

I heard Saffron has problems with Team Rocket. Vermilion appears to be safe.

Maybe we'll follow this up with Pippi when we get to Saffron.

And finally we have the dock leading to the S.S. Anne. This is gonna be fun! Unless the ship gets invaded by Team Rocket pirates, that could be bad. Maybe we should prepare first and proceed next time.

For the time being I head back to the previous route and use the Vs Seeker. Immediately everybody starts jumping up and down with excitement. I'm so glad they're happy to see me again!

:doh:

And sure enough, we're refighting trainers, though they're a little beefier than they were.

And they have new dialogue!

But this guy's upgraded Squirtle does a number on our team, so I think we'll dial back the bloodlust for the moment.

Instead Kat hoofs it back to Cerulean to turn in the Bike Voucher.

Yay!

So now we can ride our bike around. It's faster than the running shoes, but you have to go into your inventory to use it. Those four extra key presses, man...

While we're here, Kat tests out her newfound angling abilities in the waters near Cerulean...

...And near Bill Brundle's house. Nothing but more Magikarp, though.

In desperation we even try fishing the pool in Misty's gym, but can't catch a thing. On the one hand I guess that makes sense, because swimming pool, but on the other hand it's a Pokemon swimming pool. (There's probably some super-rare fish with a 1/128 chance of being caught, isn't there?)

Anyway, we drag ourselves back to Vermilion. There's one more section of town we haven't explored...

...The exit. That's gotta be one big Pokemon to block an entire route by itself.

Lavender town is a ways off, but it's also the site of the POKEMON TOWER, which sounds promising. We could look for the Rock Tunnel there...

Or we could check out Diglett's Cave, which is conveniently right next to the sign! This sounds familiar, I know I've seen it before.

Well, either way, next time we figure out what we do next and cover some new territory. Hopefully the next update won't take four months.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Cool that you're back!

You can register key items to the select button so you don't have to go into the menu to use your bike. You go to the key item slot, choose the bike and then "Register". Then you can just select it with...Select.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yay you're back! :neckbeard:

Looking forward to the next update, love this LP!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Nice! Glad to see that you're back at this.

For fishing, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that you can only catch magikarps at this point in the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

Shorts Boy is a running joke in the series. There's almost always at least one Youngster who talks about how shorts are comfy and easy to wear. Similarly, there's always a guy in the starting town who talks about how technology is amazing.

Memory serves, shorts boy was actually an invention by a dude who is an SA goon!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OOrochi posted:

For fishing, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that you can only catch magikarps at this point in the game.

Correct, there's only one thing you can catch with the old rod. I know the thread has no spoiler policy rules but I'd feel awkward not blackbarring that, even if it's incredibly minor.

As for the thread I'm glad it's back because seeing Pokemon from a total newcomer's perspective is always a fun thing.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Welcome back! :dance:

Excellent name for an update, by the way. We could all use more Queen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Cool that you're back!

You can register key items to the select button so you don't have to go into the menu to use your bike. You go to the key item slot, choose the bike and then "Register". Then you can just select it with...Select.

Anyone who doesn't put the bike on select is playing pokemon wrong.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Anyone who doesn't put the bike on select is playing pokemon wrong.

What if you put a fishing rod on select? Only when you're fishing en masse, of course. Or maybe even a Repel pre-B2W2?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Repels aren't key items. It's impossible to register them to Select.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's thread-bumping time again! Next update should be done shortly after next week.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

It's thread-bumping time again! Next update should be done shortly after next week.

Yay! I dig this LP and I'm always glad every time it comes back from the brink.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yesss! Looking forward to it! :woop:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope we can get to the next page before that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This is a fun read, so count me in among those glad it's not dead.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I hope we can get to the next page before that happens.

Pretty sure the next post now is on the next page. :v: