Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

C-Euro posted:

I live in a big city so I'm kind of in the same boat. There's a really nice running area on the other side of town but it's two miles on foot just to get there and the thought of driving somewhere to then run just feels kind of wrong to me.

I feel that. I'm lucky these days, but the last place I lived had basically no sidewalks or easy access to parks. I did eventually find a great state park that could give me a couple hours worth of nice scenery and protection from car traffic, but it took a fifteen-twenty minute drive to get to it from our place. I miss running there, but not the commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

sure ya can, just stretch a bunch and if it's still brutal work other muscle groups

it gets less debilitating in a pretty short amount of time, you'll actually miss DOMS eventually

:hellyeah:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
do some hot yoga, goons. you can get high first and it feels even better. probably wouldn't recommend getting drunk first but you do you, cspam. you'll get stronger and you'll get more flexible and it's nice to take an hourlong break from blasting trunm,0p into your eyeballs and earholes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I'm too lazy to read the thread but I'm gonna lift some weights right now and I just wanted to brag about it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yoga is really good exercise regardless of the temperature it's performed at and is also a great supplement to more intense workouts if you just wanna shore up muscles you don't use as much. real good for preventing injury too

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yoga is really good exercise regardless of the temperature it's performed at and is also a great supplement to more intense workouts if you just wanna shore up muscles you don't use as much. real good for preventing injury too

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

I'm too lazy to read the thread but I'm gonna lift some weights right now and I just wanted to brag about it

:justpost:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yoga is great but I've been bad about it lately because my dope-rear end instructor who was just "let's stretch for an hour while listening to 90s R&B" left my gym and I can't find another instructor with his approach to practice.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Yoga is great but I've been bad about it lately because my dope-rear end instructor who was just "let's stretch for an hour while listening to 90s R&B" left my gym and I can't find another instructor with his approach to practice.

I would sign up for this

twoday
May 4, 2005

About 3 years ago I herniated one of my disc's so bad that it completely compressed my sciatic nerve, paralyzed a bunch of muscles in my calf, killed sensation in half my foot, left me bedridden and doped up on drugs I didn't enjoy for a few months, walking with a limp for almost a year. The neurologist wanted to remove the disc and fuse my vertebrae together, but the surgeon didn't agree. I asked them for cortisone injections into my spine, which are not standard treatment in that country where I was, but they did it anyway. It helped a lot, in that I could walk and sit upright in a chair again. I did serious physiotherapy and avoided heavy lifting, and built up my back muscles and lost some weight. I still try to walk at least an hour a day, some days 3 or 4 hours.

Walking is really the best thing for decompressing my spine and using the muscles in my leg that were previously hosed. Especially on uneven surfaces, so I hike when I can. I've regained all feeling in my foot, use of all the muscles in my calf, cured my limp, improved my posture, and can even carry weight on my back again (very carefully) and sit for extended periods without painkillers.

I have been trying to lift weights to improve my upper body strength for about 8 months or so, but really mildly. I barely use any weight, and do like 30 reps of targeted exercises, and a bunch of stretches and other movements I've sort of stitched together from various exercises I've learned. I still feel kind of fragile and am very careful not to push myself too much, but just making more efforts to be physically active and aware of my body has improved my life a lot.

Even if you think you can't do anything else, just walk, it's a start, it's movement and life, it's not stillness and death.

The journey of your dreams begins with a single step. And you can too!

twoday
May 4, 2005

Also CBD oil loving rules

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Also CBD oil loving rules

i've read that if you take CBD it cancels out damage to your organs from drinking extremely heavily all the time, makes ya think

twoday
May 4, 2005

I think it has some neuroprotective properties as well

Mr_burns_theory_of_drug_use.gif

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

twoday posted:

I would sign up for this

I know right? Too many of the classes I've tried out since then have been all "let's do this set of poses kind of slow, and then just do them again but way faster" or "let's do arm pulses and be ~bodyweight-lifting for girls~". Meanwhile my buddy was all "let's just do slow vinyasas while listening to Destiny's Child". God I miss him.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Epic High Five posted:

i've read that if you take CBD it cancels out damage to your organs from drinking extremely heavily all the time, makes ya think

this is valuable information and i thank you greatly for it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I was about an hour out from home this morning when it started first drizzling then absolutely pouring, and was soaked to the bone by the time I got home. Hope my shoes dry out by tomorrow.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

C-Euro posted:

I know right? Too many of the classes I've tried out since then have been all "let's do this set of poses kind of slow, and then just do them again but way faster" or "let's do arm pulses and be ~bodyweight-lifting for girls~". Meanwhile my buddy was all "let's just do slow vinyasas while listening to Destiny's Child". God I miss him.

i like yoga but i can never get into it because every instructor even just the ones that post youtube videos has to ramble about mindfulness and feeling the earth's energy or whatever instead of just telling me which way to put my leg and i can't stand it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

i like yoga but i can never get into it because every instructor even just the ones that post youtube videos has to ramble about mindfulness and feeling the earth's energy or whatever instead of just telling me which way to put my leg and i can't stand it

Yeah, this. The hippy dippy bullshit's always been at least waist-deep every time I've tried and I just want to exercise motherfucker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This is also why I liked my guy, very limited chakras and ohms and the like. The mindfulness part and the concept that your thoughts and actions impact your mood and outlook on life is worth being aware of (especially in this loving subforum) but a yoga class isn't the only place where you can learn and practice that concept.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i would try around your town and eventually you'll find an instructor you'll like. i would recommend googling like a "power yoga" class as they usually it's gear more towards fitness and they'll play good music too. you will sweat more than you ever imagined, and i'm not even talking about hot yoga. if you find a good teacher too, keep going to their class (even if they switch studios), as they'll help you things you never thought imagined like handstands or crow pose.

i try to do it once every couple weeks just to keep my flexibility up and it also helps me roll out all my other muscles that have been aching from other exercises

tl'dr - yoga is really good and if you think it's only for hippies you're missing out big time

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

also there is literally nothing better than getting to shavasana after a grueling yoga class

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, built into the concept of yoga is the idea of "seeking your practice" which means you can do whatever and take as much or as little of what's given to you by the instructor. Which means you can just ignore all the talk of spiritual energy and other new age stuff.

Rocks posted:

also there is literally nothing better than getting to shavasana after a grueling yoga class

Or as my wife and I like to call it, "nap time pose"

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

im on my second day of restarting the 16/8 intermittent fasting. need to wait another 2 hours to eat. christ i want some pancakes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rocks posted:

im on my second day of restarting the 16/8 intermittent fasting. need to wait another 2 hours to eat. christ i want some pancakes

they're gonna be some dope rear end pancakes once you're able to eat them tho

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

didn't sleep too well last night, went for a jog at dawn today that was alright, am exhausted now. that's ok though, not all days are winners and i'll just have to be more careful about my sleep schedule from here on out

but i finally restocked on motherfucking protein bars :rock:

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
just went on my first deadlifting and squat session since my hip got replaced, because I will be needed healthy and strong by the people

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rocks posted:

if anyone has trouble shutting their phone off at night i recommend the app Freedom (https://freedom.to/), it's really good and cannot recommend it enough.

at 8pm my phone bricks entirely. way easier to get to sleep without noodling on instagram or whatever for an hour. im in bed and head to pillow almost immediately now

This looks cool but it said no Android version yet :( I have the StayFocused plug-in for Chrome which I've set to limit how much time I spend on SA and other "fun" websites each day. If nothing else it's gotten me to spend more of my idle computer time playing video games or reading the pile of eBooks I have rather than mindlessly reading every page of the TRUMP thread at night.

Also I'll plug f.lux if you want to stop burning your eyes out with a computer screen at night, I've been using it for years and it's great and super-unobtrusive. A lot of handheld devices have this sort of feature built-in now but you have to opt in, it's usually called "Night Light" or something to that effect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Overhead press is the one that makes you look like the biggest dipshit

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

more jiu jitsu today but no weights because upper body section of the gym was closed while they got new equipment ordered and im never doing legs again

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
doin an 8 week fitness challenge at the gym with a prize money of $2500 if i can make the most progress

body hurts, everything hurts

it is a good pain

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

C-Euro posted:

This looks cool but it said no Android version yet :( I have the StayFocused plug-in for Chrome which I've set to limit how much time I spend on SA and other "fun" websites each day. If nothing else it's gotten me to spend more of my idle computer time playing video games or reading the pile of eBooks I have rather than mindlessly reading every page of the TRUMP thread at night.

thanks for the stayfocused tip! sounds like exactly what i need in my life right now.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Love to be not even 35 and have ur knees hurt when you bend down

I du no how yall can exercise when the most basic actions cause me pain in the memebrane

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Reality Pisser posted:

I du no how yall can exercise when the most basic actions cause me pain in the memebrane

I think that's the kind of thing exercise is meant to prevent

twoday
May 4, 2005

Reality Pisser posted:

Read my last post

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

About to unleash Chiang

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Rocks posted:

:whatup:

On that note, welcome to Pancakes' guide to (kind of) healthy recovery from an eating disorder flareup! I'm a little while past a particularly bad period where I was exercising way too much (6-8 hours per day) and not eating at all (1200 calories per day). Through a lot of work with a therapist and nutritionist I'm back to a mostly sustainable equilibrium. A lot of my routine is built around making sure I don't overexercise or eat too little, so I don't know how easy it would be for people without some brain problems to follow it. I also don't have any meat, alcohol, drugs, caffeine or desserts. That's probably a little harder to do than the exercise stuff and general food schedule but I'm a big control freak.

I try to force myself to have one day with no exercise per week. Other than that, every day starts with a 250-calorie protein shake, then 45-60 minutes on the exercise bike, then 45-60 minutes of lifting, then another 250-calorie protein shake. For lifting I cycle through exercises depending on the day. Every day includes bench press and weight-resistance ab crunch, beyond that I do a 2- or 3-day rotation of other exercises like squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, lat pulldowns, shoulder presses, preacher curls, etc. My gym is actually my second bedroom and MY GIRLFRIEND can't lift anything at all, so I have no spotter available. For safety reasons I don't try to max out as much as a result, doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps apiece for most exercises (ab crunch being the exception, sets of 40-50). A general rule I follow for setting weights/resistance on the bike is that when it starts hurting and I want to stop I'm between 50-67% done. After a while it gets easy to internalize that when setting your pace or adjusting weights for the 2nd or 3rd set of an exercise.

In the evenings I tend to rotate through a few other exercises, mostly bouldering, jogging or yoga. For yoga I'm a fan of this DVD; yoga is mostly about improving flexibility for me. It's pretty beginner-accessible; you don't need to be experienced with yoga to get a lot out of it. As a note, when I first started doing yoga for flexibility about 4-5 years ago I noticed that my jogging in particular improved considerably. Flexibility is also really helpful with bouldering, which is just rock climbing with no top rope. Bouldering is mostly about grip strength, core and legs. Think of it like slow-motion athletic problem solving. Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSSL_0DKkRI

For food I force myself to have one solid meal each day. Usually that's dinner. My lunch is typically a smoothie, somewhere around 500 calories. I try to get to 1,800 or 2,000 calories per day total. I don't typically get hungry and have to remind myself to eat anything during the day; if you go too long without eating your hunger cues get all messed up. I don't snack at all, as a result. A good strategy to avoid overexercising or under-eating is to keep a food diary. Every day I keep track of any time that I exercise or have any food and email it. Keeping yourself accountable to a third party helps avoid bad habits like skipping meals or overexerting yourself. I'd assume this would also work if you were trying to cut overeating or avoid skipping exercise. I do think that even ignoring the mental illness aspect of it all, doing the "chore" exercises in the morning is helpful. Leaving the "fun" exercises for the later part of the day makes it harder for a bad day at work to burn you out of being active in the evening.

Overall this kind of routine gets your body fat percentage very low while still allowing a decent amount of muscle mass. I don't allow myself to have a scale for obvious reasons, but at 6'3"-ish my chest is around 44-46 inches and my waist is around 28 or 29 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Reality Pisser posted:

this is what yoga is for. do some yoga