Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Roadie posted:

That Reddit post seems pretty good. They have a good summary of how the settings depart from the tabletops:

One other thing to keep in mind is that Owlcat seems to have balanced a bunch of things around the lovely tedium of the higher difficulties, so you have easy access to a bajillion cheap potions and scrolls of everything so you can (and on Challenging, have to) re-up short duration buffs before every fight and stuff like that.

It's fairly good, though I've found starting with a default of challenging, then just turning down the one drop down menu for enemy stat adjustments from "harder than normal" to just "normal" works out fairly well the vast majority of the time. Cleared everything up to the Stag Lord with those settings alright, and generally left them on that afterwards as well.

Also, at this point most random enemies are fairly reasonable - there's still boosted stats on some, but even those generally aren't too threatening (who cares if a goblin has +6 DEX, it's still a goblin). It's just a few random things still that are way harder than they have any right to be - in particular, Owlbears with any titles whatsoever seem to be the most reliable things to have incredibly dumb stats. Like, +44 to-hit in a limited time, limited access area (First World area of Lamashtu's Womb) - where every other enemy has like +15-20 to-hit - absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Enemy stats are really inconsistent. Like the Act 2 trolls seem to be stated more or less normally, with an +8 attack bonus. But why is the troll in Act 1 that you run into at level 2 running around with a +13 attack? That encounter is basically a reload until you manage to land a hideous laughter on it or come back at a higher level with a 6 person party.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I just remembered they tried to make a game like this but with 5e already. Anyone else remember Sword Coast Legends?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
How am I supposed to kill this owl bear solo

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The kingdom building minigame has all the makings of a good subsystem, but it is loving bananas how close they decided to hew to the tabletop system where you always have a GM to say "actually this is horseshit." The previously mentioned failure spiral means I have not been able to get past Worried since chapter 2, spending most of my time at Crumbling because my worthless NPC advisors have maybe +1 or +2 and no matter what bonuses I scrape together they never measure up to those you can slap a headband on. DC 35 Problems are spawning and what the hell can i do about that? Meanwhile the game aggressively throws events at you during storyline stuff where every day or so you lose -6 to three stats (or -10 to like loving six a few chapters ago, repeating over and over) and either the UI is so unreadable or the game is so bugged that they don't stop coming until well after you've personally dealt with the threat. It makes what should be either a central mechanic or a diversion into an utter loving chore with little to no breathing room.

I have kingdom management set to easy

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Why the hell did I set this game to challenging

1-shot crit Valerie in the tomb, then one-shotted my main character and the archer fired on my downed character to kill him.

10/10 great game design.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone figured out the trigger for claiming the Northern Narlmarches? I've fully explored them, claimed all bordering regions and ranked up my stats a fair few times but it sits there blue and untamable.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eox posted:

Has anyone figured out the trigger for claiming the Northern Narlmarches? I've fully explored them, claimed all bordering regions and ranked up my stats a fair few times but it sits there blue and untamable.
Have read you need to deal with the temple of the elk, either loot or repair? Haven't gotten to it either

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eox posted:

The kingdom building minigame has all the makings of a good subsystem, but it is loving bananas how close they decided to hew to the tabletop system where you always have a GM to say "actually this is horseshit." The previously mentioned failure spiral means I have not been able to get past Worried since chapter 2, spending most of my time at Crumbling because my worthless NPC advisors have maybe +1 or +2 and no matter what bonuses I scrape together they never measure up to those you can slap a headband on. DC 35 Problems are spawning and what the hell can i do about that? Meanwhile the game aggressively throws events at you during storyline stuff where every day or so you lose -6 to three stats (or -10 to like loving six a few chapters ago, repeating over and over) and either the UI is so unreadable or the game is so bugged that they don't stop coming until well after you've personally dealt with the threat. It makes what should be either a central mechanic or a diversion into an utter loving chore with little to no breathing room.

I have kingdom management set to easy

Where the hell are you in the game? I'm well over a year in, and have NEVER seen an event with a DC even remotely that high. Like, I haven't seen one that even cracked 20 - most have been 15 or less. Was it a troll event? Because as far as I'm aware the end-of-the-line troll events are vicious. Possibly too vicious, but really, it's a loving troll invasion you've been warned about repeatedly for months.

None of the possible advisors have only +1 or +2, as far as I'm aware, and certainly not in their favored role. It's based on a specific stat for each role if it's a PC, and the starting NPC ones seem to be unilaterally +3 instead (I KNOW Jhod and Lander are, and the Brevoy half-orc is either that or +4). And that's not factoring in that you get a +2 bonus for each kingdom rank for that position, including Rank 1, which means that at a minimum you're looking at a +5 even just starting out. On normal difficulty, not easy. Moreover, you can definitely get projects you can do to boost those base stats for them as well.

There are definitely issues with the town building part, notably problems/opportunities always expiring on the 1st, but even with that it's fairly simple to keep on top of, as long as you're actually prioritizing the problems, once you get used to the cycle.

Eox posted:

I didn't have it pop up for being a possible claiming option until a bit after the Kamelands became available, despite being a cheaper project to claim and having had the (initial, from what I understand) temple restoration project done by like month 4-5 or so. I honestly have absolutely no clue what the trigger, if there even is one, for that option is. Just keep playing and it'll pop up eventually, I guess?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Koth posted:

Where the hell are you in the game? I'm well over a year in, and have NEVER seen an event with a DC even remotely that high. Like, I haven't seen one that even cracked 20 - most have been 15 or less. Was it a troll event? Because as far as I'm aware the end-of-the-line troll events are vicious. Possibly too vicious, but really, it's a loving troll invasion you've been warned about repeatedly for months.

None of the possible advisors have only +1 or +2, as far as I'm aware, and certainly not in their favored role. It's based on a specific stat for each role if it's a PC, and the starting NPC ones seem to be unilaterally +3 instead (I KNOW Jhod and Lander are, and the Brevoy half-orc is either that or +4). And that's not factoring in that you get a +2 bonus for each kingdom rank for that position, including Rank 1, which means that at a minimum you're looking at a +5 even just starting out. On normal difficulty, not easy. Moreover, you can definitely get projects you can do to boost those base stats for them as well.

There are definitely issues with the town building part, notably problems/opportunities always expiring on the 1st, but even with that it's fairly simple to keep on top of, as long as you're actually prioritizing the problems, once you get used to the cycle.

I didn't have it pop up for being a possible claiming option until a bit after the Kamelands became available, despite being a cheaper project to claim and having had the (initial, from what I understand) temple restoration project done by like month 4-5 or so. I honestly have absolutely no clue what the trigger, if there even is one, for that option is. Just keep playing and it'll pop up eventually, I guess?

I am level 14 and just about to start Sound of a Thousand Screams, which is the final chapter of the AP. It makes sense that DCs should be that high at this level, but there's a massive gulf between advisors who can wear stat boosting items and/or have roles that rank up often and the poo poo NPCs like Kassil Aldori and Kesten Garess. I think that the "improve (x)'s skills as an advisor" projects are supposed to increase their bonus, but hell if I can tell when Amiri is hovering around +12 at Crumbling and my sole viable Warden has a +1 bonus for events that only he can do.

edit: when the order of the nail comes knocking, tell them to gently caress themselves. if they set up shop it'll slowly drain your loyalty and stability.

Eox fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 11, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eox posted:

I am level 14 and just about to start Sound of a Thousand Screams, which is the final chapter of the AP. It makes sense that DCs should be that high at this level, but there's a massive gulf between advisors who can wear stat boosting items and/or have roles that rank up often and the poo poo NPCs like Kassil Aldori and Kesten Garess. I think that the "improve (x)'s skills as an advisor" projects are supposed to increase their bonus, but hell if I can tell when Amiri is hovering around +12 at Crumbling and my sole viable Warden has a +1 bonus for events that only he can do.

edit: when the order of the nail comes knocking, tell them to gently caress themselves. if they set up shop it'll slowly drain your loyalty and stability.

It's possible that some bonuses are currently bugged by some hotfix or another. Like, my general position is supposed to be getting a +2 bonus from a completed project that I don't think he's getting, and I recently completed a +1 upgrade for Lander specifically, which I'm not certain if he's getting it or not. Order of the Nail probably won't be a concern for me, given this game is a NG kingdom. Though if they did show up they'd definitely be told to gently caress off, regardless of statistical gain/loss.

As a note, possibly related to the above, but at least certain competence bonuses are DEFINITELY not working (for me at least). I've had both the lesser and normal versions of Bracers of Archery floating around my party for a while, and they're not actually giving a to-hit bonus at the moment (it's supposed to be a competence bonus), though the damage bonus(also a competence bonus) on the normal version is still working for whatever reason. And I know the to-hit bonus was working at some point, so it was definitely one hotfix or another that broke it. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that it's being caused by some tweak that's affecting other bonuses a well. It's hard for me to check if it's limited to just the bracers or competence bonuses in general though, as I don't think I've got anything else that gives a competence bonus to attack at the moment to cross-check.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Does higher intelligence change some battles? I keep replaying the tutorial for some reason with slightly different stats and characters and when I got to the old Fort, the 3rd time, I got the chance to place oil and burning oil around the gate, while the first two times I just had some mantraps. Or did it get patched to do that now?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Comstar posted:

Does higher intelligence change some battles? I keep replaying the tutorial for some reason with slightly different stats and characters and when I got to the old Fort, the 3rd time, I got the chance to place oil and burning oil around the gate, while the first two times I just had some mantraps. Or did it get patched to do that now?

They've always been there but you can screw it up with the wrong dialogue choice.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Eox posted:

these events are kinda hosed up if you play as a cleric imo because it shouldn't be remotely evil to throw out competing religions and cults, this is my theocracy dammit

im a Crusader, I may be Neutral Good, but gently caress you guys we're gonna do it my Neutral Good way

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I'm actually really enjoying this game but holy poo poo the bugs have gotten egregious now that I'm at the end of War of the River Kings and 100 hours in. I was brought to a screeching halt after killing Irovetti and getting dragged into an event at the Academy that makes me walk forwards, stand there awkwardly, then nothing happens. I can leave and go about my business, but my kingdom collapses in short order from multiple -50 to all stats war events per month continuing to spawn because the questline finale has a bunch of hosed up flags that never trigger.

Oh and Amiri got petrified, then un-petrified somehow, and now she just makes the crumbly sound effect every time I load into a new area and her HP can no longer go below 18, so she's indestructible. I don't fuckin know either

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thought maybe my new game playing on Weak could take on Viscount Smoulderburn.

LOL, no.

Also, didn't meet the squabbling mites and kobolds. Maybe I was supposed to do something else first. EDIT: LOL hadn't been to the Pine Patch what a maroon

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 11, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Chairchucker posted:

Thought maybe my new game playing on Weak could take on Viscount Smoulderburn.

LOL, no.

Also, didn't meet the squabbling mites and kobolds. Maybe I was supposed to do something else first. EDIT: LOL hadn't been to the Pine Patch what a maroon

For viscount, you really need 10ish energy resist if you want to do it at level 2. I think there's a scroll at the trading post that pretty much solves the fight, but its such lovely design. If you know of it ahead of time its trivial and if you're unfamiliar with the system, there is nothing to point you in that direction.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cynic Jester posted:

For viscount, you really need 10ish energy resist if you want to do it at level 2. I think there's a scroll at the trading post that pretty much solves the fight, but its such lovely design. If you know of it ahead of time its trivial and if you're unfamiliar with the system, there is nothing to point you in that direction.

Nah, on this difficulty level he was killing me very slowly. I just couldn't hit him.

Also, the absolute worst thing about this game is not being able to gloat to whichever party member(s) you find in the cage at the Sycamore tree about how they backed the wrong horse.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

For what it's worth there is a corpse nearby with Nature check about his damage I believe. I don't think having clear "come back later baby boy" fights is a bad design. Nothing compels you to beat him at level 2. And after you actually meet WIsps in the wild and can manage them you can return.
I would agree that the game painfully needs a better bestiary and an actual ability to put my maxed Knowledge and Lore skills to use for analyzing enemies.

ugusername fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 11, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ugusername posted:

For what it's worth there is a corpse nearby with Nature check about his damage I believe. I don't think having a clear "come back later baby boy" fights is a bad design. Nothing compels you to beat him at level 2. And after you actually meet WIsps in the wild and can manage them you can return.
I would agree that the game painfully needs a better bestiary and an actual ability to put my maxed Knowledge and Lore skills to use for analyzing enemies.

On the other hand the situation isn't 'you see a wisp and choose whether to fight it' the situation is 'you see a camp and if you choose to sleep at it you get murdered by a wisp'.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

caedwalla posted:

My PC is a level 9 grenadier and for the past few levels, bombs have felt super underwhelming. On paper 5d6+4 a couple times a round is impressive but it can be fiddly to use and compared to Nok Nok, Ekundayo and Octavia the damage is really underwhelming.

In fairness half my feat choices are abysmal but them's the breaks since respecs aren't a thing.

Actually, I have good news for you about respecs

I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised that camping in the campsite full of dead bodies might be a bad move.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

On the other hand the situation isn't 'you see a wisp and choose whether to fight it' the situation is 'you see a camp and if you choose to sleep at it you get murdered by a wisp'.

My man the only free cheese is in the mousetrap. And this is a mousetrap littered with dead bodies all around it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Honestly I didn't know the camp was a monster summoning device until I read about it here. I'd never bothered to sleep in it in my game because there's no obvious advantage to doing so over a normal camp.

EDIT: BTW, anyone know if there's a point to the gold toad beyond aggroing all the frogs and selling it?

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 11, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But it's vastly more likely the dead people at the camp were just killed by the nearby wolves or all the kobolds, mites and centipedes swarming the place instead of some random high level enemy popping up out of nowhere.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
game is basically super buggy post the big barb fight - i have people talking about characters i never met, npcs showing up in response to decisions that havent even come up in the plot yet and lots of broken side quests - looks like the main plot is beatable though, there are people on the discord talking about beating the game (but its bugged too and you get a game over screen when you win)

i think they are trying to hotfix chapter by chapter and those of us with too much free time are outpacing the bug fixes

amazing game, also amazing they released it at this quality level

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

for reference i am about to start war of the river kings

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I decided Tristian is gonna be a Mystic Theurge, and I made him the type of sorcerer that has a Smilodon buddy.

EDIT: If you make someone a ranger/sorcerer, can you have two animals?

EDIT EDIT: Changed my mind, he's the type of sorcerer that uses Wisdom.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 11, 2018

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Poil posted:

But it's vastly more likely the dead people at the camp were just killed by the nearby wolves or all the kobolds, mites and centipedes swarming the place instead of some random high level enemy popping up out of nowhere.

One of the corpses has a magical Dueling Blade on him. That's enough of a clue that the threat is above the curve even if you didn't pass the check telling you that the corpse was burned by electricity or whatever imo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ugusername posted:

One of the corpses has a magical Dueling Blade on him. That's enough of a clue that the threat is above the curve even if you didn't pass the check telling you that the corpse was burned by electricity or whatever imo.

Is it tho? Because there's a lot of random loot all over the place.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh apparently only the first three acts were in the beta that explains a lot of the quality of the back half

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

Is it tho? Because there's a lot of random loot all over the place.

Later on for sure but at this point it's mostly hidden in caches or you have to defeat bad dude who is wielding it, for example sleeping bandits encounter few screens over. And they're balls to the walls hard as they should be decked out with masterwork gear. For all the complaining about difficulty spikes or whatever I get excited meeting a seemingly random pack of bandits that suddenly mess me up since they're for sure holding some nice loot for this timeframe.

And then there is a free magic stick just lying around for your 3rd lvl Aldori Defender no strings attached. Prolly wolves that you already easily slicing up ate that poor bugger.

E: those +1 to hit/damage seem minuscule and unimpressive but the're a big deal. Basically whole 3.5/pf is balanced around those small increments that you stack and stack until you become an unbeatable death incarnate. That's why Challenging difficulty is such a big jump from normal and requires careful planning and prebuffing even for normal fights.

ugusername fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 11, 2018

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

You see a camp completely surrounded by dead bodies that you can use skill checks on to see they died from weird stuff. I mean, it couldn't be more blatant that some poo poo happened there.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I think the challenge gets thrown way out of wack by their extremely easy flanking rules. All it takes is two melee on a target and all of the sudden those bandits are sneak attacking you for like 36 damage at lvl 2.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This games difficult encounters only really stink because retreat is impossible which is dumb as hell.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
F8 = retreat.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

malhavok posted:

You see a camp completely surrounded by dead bodies that you can use skill checks on to see they died from weird stuff. I mean, it couldn't be more blatant that some poo poo happened there.

Unless you fail the check, in which case you get gently caress all.

And ignore how whether or not it's obvious; what does this encounter add to the area?

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

This games difficult encounters only really stink because retreat is impossible which is dumb as hell.

This a hundred times over. Recently realized that if you're fast enough and have access to invisibility you actually can get out of combat and exit the location. But sometimes you're just geeked right by the entrance. loving wererats gently caress you with your keen kukris and gently caress your bullshit invisibility and your full magic gear and your loving alchemist buddy. Was super satisfying destroying them right before going for Staglord with Glitterdust and summons.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Unless you fail the check, in which case you get gently caress all.

And ignore how whether or not it's obvious; what does this encounter add to the area?

What doesn't it add? It's just some background stuff that there is a lot of weird dangers in Stolen Lands. Maybe even a notion that's something unusual and magicky is going on around. It's nice imo. Better to have it than not.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ugusername posted:

This a hundred times over. Recently realized that if you're fast enough and have access to invisibility you actually can get out of combat and exit the location. But sometimes you're just geeked right by the entrance. loving wererats gently caress you with your keen kukris and gently caress your bullshit invisibility and your full magic gear and your loving alchemist buddy. Was super satisfying destroying them right before going for Staglord with Glitterdust and summons.

Hey thanks for reminding me about those fuckers. I got wiped by 'em ages ago and put 'em on the "to do later list." It is now later, and I should go do them. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Hey thanks for reminding me about those fuckers. I got wiped by 'em ages ago and put 'em on the "to do later list." It is now later, and I should go do them. :commissar:

Put Faerie Fire/Glitterdust on your casters and they're not so hot anymore. Generally have some of this on your spell list. Concealment is a bitch later on in the game