Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

meanwhile htc is working on bringing about the dickian future with the introduction of an early model mercer box

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/09/can-jesus-save-virtual-reality-seven-miracles-htc-vive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agile Vector posted:

meanwhile htc is working on bringing about the dickian future with the introduction of an early model mercer box

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/09/can-jesus-save-virtual-reality-seven-miracles-htc-vive

Eh the mere concept of a Mercer Box is ridiculous - it assumes humans are capable of feeling empathy.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this kind of poo poo is why the “Just run your code that talks to the outside world via GPIO as root/in-kernel, what could go wrong?” approach to security sickens me

like given there’s poo poo you can crash via nmap, dollars to donuts there are things out there you could crash with a quickly-pulsed laser flooding an optical sensor

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Chris Knight posted:

wait now there's multi cloud?!

:yaycloud::nsacloud::yayclod:
they now have 3 servers

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/1049764142142447617

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

Eh the mere concept of a Mercer Box is ridiculous - it assumes humans are capable of feeling empathy.

who needs voight kampff when replicants out themselves spontaneously

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

a fair association and also a grim reminder that we are in a weak sauce cyberpunk dystopia

we live in a very real cyberpunk dystopia

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

but it was supposed to be cool :(

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Ditches AI Recruiting Tool That �Didn�t Like Women�

quote:

Amazon has scrapped an automated recruiting tool after reportedly discovering that it didn�t like female candidates. The company tried to mechanize its talent searches by creating a computer program that gave applicants scores ranging from one to five stars, just like Amazon products. However, its models were trained to vet applicants by observing patterns in r�sum�s submitted to the company over a 10-year period�most came from men, so the system effectively taught itself that male candidates were preferable over women. It reportedly penalized r�sum�s that included the word �women�s,� and downgraded candidates from two unspecified women�s colleges. The company abandoned the project by the start of last year. Amazon declined to comment on
the recruiting engine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no loving poo poo.

whoever could have foreseen such a thing? obviously not the big data geniuses at amazon

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

but it was supposed to be cool :(

which part of the gig economy do you like best, the massive quasi legal drug binges on your down time to try to forget what you did to make scratch or the mad scramble to get solvent again through hazy recollections of debauchery lost?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

can't get an ml algorithm to explain why it makes a decision

can't get an ml algorithm to treat any features that you feed it as neutral

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Midjack posted:

looking forward to us uavs getting owned and resulting in a chrome-on-blue incident.

coining that term here folks.

i like it, but it seems like it should apply to when the system does a friendly fire while autonomous

what goes with "hacked and used against friendly target" ? "red all up in ya blue on blue"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prisoner of waffles posted:

can't get an ml algorithm to explain why it makes a decision

can't get an ml algorithm to treat any features that you feed it as neutral

garbage in garbage out. or who knows if your models work because your training data is absolute poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i like it, but it seems like it should apply to when the system does a friendly fire while autonomous

what goes with "hacked and used against friendly target" ? "red all up in ya blue on blue"?

im in ur drone killin ur d00dz

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

cum @ me bro
xXgoKuxX

*Hellfire missile hits Pentagon

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DerekSmartymans posted:

Hellfire missile hits Pentagon

lol you know you just lit up a light on a dashboard in some nondescript facility and the operative sighs these assholes again

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just think, theres a govt lurker who follows all this chatter and knows us so well but can never participate

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Agile Vector posted:

just think, theres a govt lurker who follows all this chatter and knows us so well but can never participate

*adds a tally to the "Cop?" cell for uid 117146 in yospos.xls*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

fishmech still posts tho?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-identify-almost-anyone-in-a-consumer-gene-database/

quote:

The technique relies on links between distant relatives. “Think of your family like layers of an onion,” he says. Your closest relatives are parents, children and siblings. The next layer is first cousins, which you might have in higher numbers. Another layer and you reach second cousins, and so on until you could find yourself related to many third cousins you don’t know at all. “When you go to very distant relatives, chances of a link are much higher,” he says. These kinds of links were used earlier this year to identify a suspect in the case of the alleged Golden State Killer, who was connected to the crimes partially via the DNA of relatives in a genetic database.

Once police had genetic links to distant relatives, they could draw a large, complex family tree, possibly too large to analyze. But then they could exclude many of the linked individuals based on other data—where they live, their age, their sex and so forth, Erlich notes. Much of that information comes from widely shared family trees drawn by consumers. After pruning the data that way, a pool of, say, 850 relatives could be reduced to 15 who might plausibly be connected to the crimes in question.

Then police can start knocking on doors and doing the kind of investigation they do routinely. “It’s really only over the last year that the ability to use these public genealogical databases for identifying individuals became clear,” says Daniel MacArthur, group leader of Massachusetts General Hospital’s Analytic and Translational Genetics Unit. “The academic community didn’t appreciate how large these databases are and how readily they could be used to triangulate genetic identity.”

The second study showed police databases contain more genetic information than researchers had suspected. Forensic databases hold information on a handful of identifying markers called STRs. Consumer databases use a far more detailed panel of markers known as SNPs. Until recently there was thought to be no connection between the two. Now it is clear forensic databases contain some SNP information, says Bruce Weir, a professor of biostatistics at the University of Washington. “For law enforcement, this means if they can’t find a match” in their databases, “they can now seek a match in other databases,” he says. It also means they can track information on relatives, rather than merely matching individuals, he notes. “Practically, it’s an enormous advance.” This raises an important privacy issue, he adds. “Should I be worried that by uploading my data, I make my relatives subject to being found by law enforcement?” That might be acceptable if those relatives committed a crime. “But suppose they didn’t?”

hell yeah cross-database joins are loving powerful as gently caress

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

but what if blockchain?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

nah couldn't be

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Man, I need to check my 23 and me user agreement again. It would genuinely suck to incidentally rat out my awesome bank robbing fourth cousin twice removed that I've never met.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Man, I need to check my 23 and me user agreement again. It would genuinely suck to incidentally rat out my awesome bank robbing fourth cousin twice removed that I've never met.

pretty sure it goes something like:

-you gave us a dna sample
-gently caress you, you gave us a dna sample

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

welcome to gattaca

license and recombination please sir

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 12, 2018

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
23andme is a test to check whether you are the dumbest motherfucker alive or not.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
don't give out dna for free and sure as hell don't pay for someone to take your dna

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

don't give out dna for free and sure as hell don't pay for someone to take your dna

your mom takes my dna for free thats for sure

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Improbable Lobster posted:

drat right, if you want my dna you gotta pay me just like the sperm bank

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Midjack posted:

pretty sure it goes something like:

-you gave us a dna sample
-gently caress you, you gave us a dna sample

or someone else gave them a dna sample and you're damned by association

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bruce Weir, a professor of biostatistics at the University of Washington. “For law enforcement, this means if they can’t find a match” in their databases, “they can now seek a match in other databases,” he says. It also means they can track information on relatives, rather than merely matching individuals, he notes. “Practically, it’s an enormous advance.” This raises an important privacy issue, he adds. “Should I be worried that by uploading my data, I make my relatives subject to being found by law enforcement?” That might be acceptable if those relatives committed a crime. “But suppose they didn’t?”

man, gently caress this guy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

virtua cop 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

white_people.html

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

quote:

Different tribes trade bottle caps with elaborate designs to represent them; this year, the cops also brought their own to hand out.

kill me, please and thanks

edit: oh poo poo, the more I read the more I like it. this bad. this real bad.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 12, 2018

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

do the cops have to dress like leather daddies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trabandiumium posted:

do the cops have to dress like leather daddies

they loving better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm looking for something that says "piggy likes leather"

leather store clerk: oh... you mean leatherpiggy?

• Locked thread