Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think all we know is that it'll be like GTA Online in style, but will remain grounded in reality (so no jet-powered horses or Hot Wheels cart racing tracks).

I just hope we can do everything Red Dead Online offers in invite only servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
So my partner loves RDR1 and I bought an xbox one so we can play RDR2 together, having never owned a console before, how bad is this gonna perform, is it likely to be a stable 30fps? I didn't want to shell out an extra $200 for a PS4 pro given once we're done with the game the console will just be a glorified netflix box for the flatmates.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Capn Beeb posted:

Same. Someone will make a PGS thread nearer the time for goons who want to go fishing (or robbing banks, whatever) with goons I’m sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So my partner loves RDR1 and I bought an xbox one so we can play RDR2 together, having never owned a console before, how bad is this gonna perform, is it likely to be a stable 30fps? I didn't want to shell out an extra $200 for a PS4 pro given once we're done with the game the console will just be a glorified netflix box for the flatmates.

Which Xbox One did you get? I fully expect the Xbox One X to be the best console to play RDR2 on. Performance and graphic fidelity is going to go; Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, PlayStation 4, Xbox One (S).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If you just bought a base Xbone it'll be the worst of the four options open to you by far, but I imagine it'll still probably be 900p and a mostly stable 30.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

friendly 2 da void posted:

I'm going to play no hud no radar first-person.

On PC :mad:

You're doing the ultimate.

No HUD, no radar, no graphics, no sound.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Funso Banjo posted:

You're doing the ultimate.

No HUD, no radar, no graphics, no sound.

Eat a bunch of random berries and flowers for your own personal RDR2 experience.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Which Xbox One did you get? I fully expect the Xbox One X to be the best console to play RDR2 on. Performance and graphic fidelity is going to go; Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, PlayStation 4, Xbox One (S).

Then why are they recording all the promotional material on a PS4 Pro?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

You'd probably be wildly incorrect. R* has exclusivity deals with Sony, so I wouldn't put it past them to optimize RDR2 for the PSPro. Also, everything they've released gameplay wise has been captured on the Pro, so we have no idea what it will even look like on the XBoneOneX.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Eh, despite Sony's deal with Rockstar, I expect the BoneX to still have the slight edge in resolution and maybe performance thanks to the more powerful hardware (obviously, hardware specs aren't everything, but they'd have to really half-rear end the X version for it not to at least match the Pro version). That's basically been the case with every multiformat game since the Pro and X launched, so even if they optimize for the Pro I expect the Pro and X versions to at least be identical and running at 1440p30 or whatever..

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 11, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It won't really matter since the game itself will be overwhelmingly absorbing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I need to upgrade from my PSPoor to a PSPro for this don’t I?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

davebo posted:

Because Sony gave R* money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davebo posted:

This is a silly question.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I’ll be getting a PSpro just to play this (and probably a few ps4 exclusives).

It’s been a while since I used a console. Is there any benefit to buying a physical copy of the game, or should I just buy it digitally so I’m guaranteed to have it day one?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Cultural Marxist posted:

Same. Someone will make a PGS thread nearer the time for goons who want to go fishing (or robbing banks, whatever) with goons I’m sure.

That'd be cool.

I'll bring the dynamite :clint:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ElectricWizard posted:

I’ll be getting a PSpro just to play this (and probably a few ps4 exclusives).

It’s been a while since I used a console. Is there any benefit to buying a physical copy of the game, or should I just buy it digitally so I’m guaranteed to have it day one?

In the very unlikely scenario where Sony's server infrastructure goes away forever, you can play the game still.

As I was typing that, I remembered the time in the PS3 age where that exact thing happened actually so maybe not unlikely.

Outside of that, they're about the same price but you don't have to gently caress around with a disk, so pick your poison.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It also depends on how the internet is where you live, since it's a 105 GB download.
Also you can sell the disk after you completed the game, but I regretted selling RDR1 almost immediately so...

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks, sounds like I’ll go for the digital version. Downloading while I’m at work beats maybe not getting the game because it’s sold out or shipping is delayed. :clint:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ElectricWizard posted:

Thanks, sounds like I’ll go for the digital version. Downloading while I’m at work beats maybe not getting the game because it’s sold out or shipping is delayed. :clint:

You'll be able to preload it a couple of days in advance anyway. I think my PS4 says the 24th, so you can just leave it in rest mode for a day or two if you're not playing so not having it downloaded in time shouldn't be an issue. I'd run an ethernet cable to it though if you have the option to.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I hope the store I pre-ordered from will let me pick it up Thursday night. They do the same for Fifa and CoD etc. Then I will stare at the box art and the collectors edition map until the game is installed and I can play.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I do hope Digital Foundry or someone can release some comparisons between the different consoles before release. I've got a regular PS4 and Xbone and I'd prefer it on the Xbone just because I like the controller better, but if it's going to perform fairly worse overall then I'd sacrifice the worse controller for better performance/resolution.

I really shouldn't by an X just for this game...

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I need to upgrade from my PSPoor to a PSPro for this don’t I?

You'll get a solid 30 fps on the PSPoor.

Obviously the PSPro will have nicer graphics, and will be faster, but the PSPoor will be fine. They'll cut the draw distance and lower the LOD, so it will run fine on the older model.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm assuming that will be the same as the Xbox S.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
A leaked trophy/achievement list is currently in the wild. It hasn’t been confirmed by R* or by anyone playing the game, but it’s out there.

You can see it here, but obviously it will contain spoilers of varying size, :siren:including some quite major looking ones. Beware.:siren:

If you want to know how many there are: 52, including the platinum

Are any of the trophies/achievements for Online?: yes.

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 11, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You'll be able to preload it a couple of days in advance anyway. I think my PS4 says the 24th, so you can just leave it in rest mode for a day or two
With my internet, I don't think 4 days of preloading is even enough... Guess I'll get a physical copy (and finish some more games in the meantime so I can delete them to make room) :smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cultural Marxist posted:

Are any of the trophies/achievements for Online?: yes.

Wait so it'll literally be impossible to platinum this game at launch? That doesn't seem right.

Anyway the trophy list doesn't reveal much. Biggest thing is (no story spoilers)you can earn medals for story missions so they must be replayable.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 11, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The hidden trophies are definitely out and they hint at the overall plot so avoid them if you're spoiler sensitive.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh yeah you're right. To be honest they're pretty vague.

By the way the number of chapters is 5+epilogue and there are at least 70 story missions.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cultural Marxist posted:

I wonder if they’ve left in GTA V’s best feature, the ability to needlessly faceplant on demand.

I hope they're not leaving it out of multiplayer again.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SplitSoul posted:

Yes! Did they ever give an explanation for that?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

I hope it's a paid DLC.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Cultural Marxist posted:

Yes! Did they ever give an explanation for that?

No fun allowed.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Red Dead Redemption is literally the only video game I would play other than the occasional urge to do some 'Craftin'. I threw my 360 out in 2014 and am console-less since.

I'm really torn up if its worth buying a new console just for this, especially since I'd go the lowball route, which appears to be a 1TB XboxOne or 500gb PS4. I've been pumped for this game for soo long, but looking at consoles idk what to do. I guess the cost of XboxLive really makes me lean towards PS4. blegh.

And my thought is, if there was a sizeable amount of goons to play RDR2 with for a couple of years it might make it more worthwhile.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 11, 2018

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Red Dead Redemption is literally the only video game I would play other than the occasional urge to do some 'Craftin'. I threw my 360 out in 2014 and am console-less since.

I'm really torn up if its worth buying a new console just for this, especially since I'd go the lowball route, which appears to be a 1TB XboxOne or 500gb PS4. I've been pumped for this game for soo long, but looking at consoles idk what to do. I guess the cost of XboxLive really makes me lean towards PS4. blegh.

And my thought is, if there was a sizeable amount of goons to play RDR2 with for a couple of years it might make it more worthwhile.

Is Xbox live that much more expensive than ps plus? I don’t own an Xbox so no idea.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol we need a pc port just so i can watch youtube griefing videos on rp modded servers

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

Because Sony gave R* money.

So the implication is that in addition to the timed exclusives in-game, Sony paid Rockstar to record all promotional materials on a PS4 Pro, then Rockstar specifically mentions in the videos that everything captured is in-game footage, but DOESN'T mention that it's on a Playstation? Doesn't seem like a very beneficial arrangement for Sony.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Disc vs. download: you can sell the disc or trade it at GameStop when you get tired of loving r* bullshit

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

davebo posted:

So the implication is that in addition to the timed exclusives in-game, Sony paid Rockstar to record all promotional materials on a PS4 Pro, then Rockstar specifically mentions in the videos that everything captured is in-game footage, but DOESN'T mention that it's on a Playstation? Doesn't seem like a very beneficial arrangement for Sony.

No, it’s ridiculous and didn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

titties posted:

Disc vs. download: you can sell the disc or trade it at GameStop when you get tired of loving r* bullshit

And GameStop will offer you a modest $2.80 less than a year after release.