Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
TFW the democrats who can't wait to make pronouncements about Venezuela, Cuba or Nicaragua are suddenly all quiet on Bolsonaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

joepinetree posted:

TFW the democrats who can't wait to make pronouncements about Venezuela, Cuba or Nicaragua are suddenly all quiet on Bolsonaro.

Isn't Nicaragua a case of a left with government moving more neoliberal as they become more authoritarian?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't Nicaragua a case of a left with government moving more neoliberal as they become more authoritarian?

Yeah I thought they were doing IMF "reforms"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well she at least publicly is against privaitzation.

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

Look me in the eyes, at least.
How hosed are lgbt Brazilians, you think?

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is getting ugly already. Stuff like this happening all around:

https://odia.ig.com.br/rio-de-janei...aro.html#foto=1

(its about a trans woman that was heavily beaten with a steel bar, yesterday, in plain daylight, after answering to some guys who told her Bolsonaro was coming to take out trash like her)

I try not to be pessimistic or alarmist but there is something in the air here, something ugly, joyful and dangerous. Personally I never felt anything like this.

I hope that, if he really wins, he is just going to be a bad president and then it will be over in 4 or 8 years. But right now, it surely looks worst than this

Bahahaha cool cool now I gotta explain to my roommate why I'm crying this is dope. Consider my question answered.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

This one is a bit misleading. She worded things very carefully here. She said that bolsonaro "says very unpleasant things" (read:not wrong, just hard truths) and that for the french press anyone who says unpleasant things is extreme-right. She also said that she does not consider him extreme right.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GorgonLiker posted:

Yeah, as hosed as that newstore implies, but even less interest from the authorities to prosecute or investigate.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, as hosed as that newstore implies, but even less interest from the authorities to prosecute or investigate.

And even less chance of prosecution if the authorities themselves are the ones committing the crimes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GorgonLiker posted:

Homophobic hate is very strong here even on our best days. And these are not our best days

edit: to be more precise: in the last few years our right adopted narratives such as "gender ideology was infiltrated in our society by communists to destroy the families" and "pedophilia is mostly gay and its being normalized and promoted by the LGBT movements". Today you can hear regular people on the streets repeating such arguments like obvious, undebatable truths. Bolsonaro himself (and his sons) used those arguments and is openly homophobic

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Oct 11, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh wow :stare:
Im feeling bad for brazil right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

nerdz posted:

This one is a bit misleading. She worded things very carefully here. She said that bolsonaro "says very unpleasant things" (read:not wrong, just hard truths) and that for the french press anyone who says unpleasant things is extreme-right. She also said that she does not consider him extreme right.

Ah that makes more sense

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is coming from the daughter of someone who told a Holocaust survivor that he should have been burned alive by Nazis.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Brazil really does show why tv is good and the internet is bad if you want to maintain a oligarchy.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is coming from the daughter of someone who told a Holocaust survivor that he should have been burned alive by Nazis.

She's not criticizing him at all. If you could read the article you would see that she also wanted to say the things he does and get away with it in france.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nerdz posted:

She's not criticizing him at all. If you could read the article you would see that she also wanted to say the things he does and get away with it in france.

Thats how Ive read it too

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

I'm feeling so hosed up because every trans day of remembrance fully half to two thirds of the names that get read are from Latin America and half to two thirds of those are from Brazil. The idea that it can get worse makes me sick to my stomach, especially considering between trump and kavanaugh it feels like the American trans situation is teetering on the edge of a cliff already

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Oct 8, 2021

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If I had to deal with the Latin American right I'd be exactly like Plutonis. I'm sure there are worse people on the planet somewhere, but it's hard to believe.

honestly it makes my count my blessings that AMLO was a left winger because he could just as easily won on Bolsonaros platform. maybe, i guess mexico doesnt have the same story of authoritarianism but still the anger agaisnt the system was definitely there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

nerdz posted:

still farther to the left than the WSJ insane, full throated support for a fascist. what a loving wretched rag

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well the WSJ editorial section has been garbage forever so its not really surprising

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i know that high finance and fascism go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the big rises and falls in brazilian markets as a reaction to electoral goings on is sickening. first came the markets going up over 2% when it was confirmed lula was going to jail. then it was a similar jump after polls showed bolsonaro with a comfortable lead. now they took a tumble because bolsonaro said that he had no interest in privatizing Petrobras. finance vultures really, really want to feast on brazil

on the bright side, somebody i follow on instagram living in brazil shared these anti-bolsonaro memes and they made my day

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

get that OUT of my face posted:

i know that high finance and fascism go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the big rises and falls in brazilian markets as a reaction to electoral goings on is sickening. first came the markets going up over 2% when it was confirmed lula was going to jail. then it was a similar jump after polls showed bolsonaro with a comfortable lead. now they took a tumble because bolsonaro said that he had no interest in privatizing Petrobras. finance vultures really, really want to feast on brazil

Well, wouldn't you want to buy energy companies built with public money for pennies? That's the whole reason why the market has gone friendly on Bolsonaro.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i know racial attitudes can be considerably different in brazil compared to north america, but have fascists historically drawn support from non-white communities as well as lots of white support?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Well, wouldn't you want to buy energy companies built with public money for pennies? That's the whole reason why the market has gone friendly on Bolsonaro.
hey, i didn't say it doesn't make sense from a finance standpoint. i'm just saying that every time they manipulate the markets, it makes me want to puke because of how brazenly and obviously evil it is

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

hoiyes posted:

It's probably far more likely that Brazil plunges down every positive social index, social misery and murder rockets up (despite the official government figures going down, obviously) and quickly becomes the Bad PR Country for the right
the right never own their mistakes, they pick scapegoats

the people most visibly critical of the government will be the first to be scapegoated

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-DQHp2ejU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dead Beef posted:

This is bad.

If he wins it will embolden the far-right all over the world.

This is very bad.

At the very least, he will trigger a huge wave of Brazilian immigration to Portugal, with most of those immigrants being minorities and LGBT, which in turn will likely cause a backlash and turn Portugal towards the far right, which it managed to avoid this far.

I feel terrible for mostly thinking about myself but if the fash takes over in Portugal AND the Netherlands, fuuuuuuuuuck. So many people suffering everywhere.

And to think "Domino theory" was applied to freaking communism. :cripes:

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 10:28 on Oct 12, 2018

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I'm actually hoping more Americans don't learn who Bolsonaro is because I know in my heart that chuds would love him.

1940s fascism meets 1980s neoliberalism

aaaaa

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

At the very least, he will trigger a huge wave of Brazilian immigration to Portugal, with most of those immigrants being minorities and LGBT, which in turn will likely cause a backlash and turn Portugal towards the far right, which it managed to avoid this far.

They're already trying to do this with the Venezuelan Portuguese (and so far are failing bc they're way too thankful of our healthcare system and relative stability) and a good part of the coverage of Brazil involves ignoring what actual poor Brazilians are saying. Ronaldo's sex crime is at this point a higher factor for recruiting for the right than either Brasil or Venezuela.

We had protests here that were just people pretending to be refugees and hurling a sheet over themselves with a sign demanding free money during the start of the Syrian refugee crisis. Tomi Lahren keeps trying to get fluff pieces here. The Portuguese taste for fascism isn't as big here, so something bigger has to happen.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 12:07 on Oct 12, 2018

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

quote:

Romualdo Rosário da Costa, a 63-year-old master of the Brazilian martial art capoeira, was stabbed to death in a bar in the north-eastern city, Salvador, in the early hours of Monday, just after the first round of the election.

The attacker, Paulo Sérgio Ferreira de Santana, told police his motivations were political. He was angry when Da Costa said he was supporting Mr Bolsonaro's rival, and reportedly went home to pick up a knife, and then returned to the bar to stab the victim 12 times.

The swastika attack was also on Monday. A gang of men attacked a 19-year-old woman in the southern state of Porto Alegre, drawing the symbol onto her skin with a penknife. The woman - who has not been named - was carrying an LGBT flag and an anti-Bolsonaro sticker, according to Globo news.

Trans singer Julyanna Barbosa was attacked last Saturday in Nova Iguaçu, Rio de Janeiro state. She said her assailants shouted about their support for Mr Bolsonaro, saying "these trash people have to die".

The Guardian reports that football fans have been chanting: "Bolsonaro will kill all queers".
wonder what color uniform the official deathsquads will adopt once he’s in power

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Have a map of incidents of political violence due to our elections. They're trying to stick only to sourced events.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=-11.376367430891005%2C-26.34790098839187&z=4&mid=1hNIxsASpLAxFjsWPMqFZtm-cuigr3jj9

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cargo cult posted:

i know racial attitudes can be considerably different in brazil compared to north america, but have fascists historically drawn support from non-white communities as well as lots of white support?

What you consider non-white is not necessarily what Brazilians consider non-white

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also fascism exists/existed in Asia too so it's not like a whites only phenomenon. Or do you mean have fascists ever gotten support from the people they claim are the problem? 'Cuz that's happened too but probably not in wide swathes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What you consider non-white is not necessarily what Brazilians consider non-white

What exactly do Brazilians consider non-white?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

What exactly do Brazilians consider non-white?

You may know this guy called Neymar. Well, he said he was never a victim of racism because he's not black.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

You're not white in Brazil if your family never owned slaves.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

on the bright side, somebody i follow on instagram living in brazil shared these anti-bolsonaro memes and they made my day

The source of all these is this:

https://www.instagram.com/barbiefascista/

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Apraxin posted:

wonder what color uniform the official deathsquads will adopt once he’s in power

Green and yellow, obviously