Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffee!
Jul 12, 2016

Howard Phillips posted:

Congrats. Good luck. But yeah GS-15 is pretty high up. You're basically a deputy to SES in most positions right? Without getting too specific which part of government do you work in?

I'm in non profit FFRDC world but looking to laterally move into gov at GS-12/13. Also is it natural to take a pay cut when moving into gov from private? Is bargaining level and step for salary purposes even a thing?

Thanks Howard! My new position will be a deputy to an SES in a smaller agency. I’ve spent most of my civilian career in the DoD doing financial type work.

I’ve heard of people taking pay cuts to get into govt, aside from Foreign Service. I think if you have an in demand skill, rules are loosening these days and step can be negotiated if coming from the private sector.
As far as the FS goes, it seems like the many benefits would outweigh the pay cut, specifically the paid for housing—minus when you’re in DC of course. Been there, done that, and the DC area housing prices aren’t as bad as everyone usually says. It really depends on what size of home your comfortable with, or how far you’re willing to commute.

I also chose management track this time—funny enough that’s what I chose last time when I got to the OA. My two consular tries we’re no-gos.

Best of luck on the FSOT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

We've just arrived at our second post, and it has been tough getting here. Seems like everything has been difficult this past week. It's been rough, but it's also exciting!

And today we've got our pets in our house, finally, and gotten internet hooked up, so things are looking up!

Funny how getting internet hooked up is such a quality of life enhancer #streamalltheyoutubes

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

SCRwM posted:

Funny how getting internet hooked up is such a quality of life enhancer #streamalltheyoutubes

Exactly! Someone (with authority, not a pleb like me) needs to change the FAM so it’s a utility and in every house as you move in.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Blooregard posted:

Exactly! Someone (with authority, not a pleb like me) needs to change the FAM so it’s a utility and in every house as you move in.

And ditch the requirement for a home phone.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SCRwM posted:

And ditch the requirement for a home phone.

Got an email from the Ops Center the other day looking to update my contact information. Gave them my work email and my work mobile number. Seriously, I’ve got those on me all the time unless I’m in the office or the shower. . . .

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Business of Ferrets posted:

Got an email from the Ops Center the other day looking to update my contact information. Gave them my work email and my work mobile number. Seriously, I’ve got those on me all the time unless I’m in the office or the shower. . . .

In a crisis situation, particularly in a developing country, cell phone networks are usually the first thing to go down/be overwhelmed. Just saying.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Crisis or not, my philosophy with Ops is, “Don’t call us, we’ll call you.”

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

So how’s everybody’s bidding going? Worried? Feeling good?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I'm at peace. Not because it's looking particularly good for me, but because acceptance is a valuable tactic in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Well, keeping your cool sure worked out for you last time!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Not bidding this year thankfully!

It is apparently impossible to get my CDO to register my wife for FACT during bidding season. I've been trying for a month.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Not bidding this year thankfully!

It is apparently impossible to get my CDO to register my wife for FACT during bidding season. I've been trying for a month.

I'm considering bidding on a CDO job next time around - I've never actually had a good CDO, but I have been informally adopted by a few, so I know they exist.

Otherwise, I'm chilling in the joy that is not bidding for another year - and if I extend, that buys me no bidding until 2020! Wooo!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nutrimentia posted:

I'm at peace. Not because it's looking particularly good for me, but because acceptance is a valuable tactic in the face of overwhelming adversity.

It's all in the game.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
I've got my next post locked down and won't be bidding for awhile, but I'm looking at an HDS/SND post after that. I got bills to pay and Frankfurt, Toronto, and Sydney won't cut it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

I've got my next post locked down and won't be bidding for awhile, but I'm looking at an HDS/SND post after that. I got bills to pay and Frankfurt, Toronto, and Sydney won't cut it.

I dunno man - living in Western EUR is pretty cool.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

TCD posted:

I dunno man - living in Western EUR is pretty cool.

Agreed. That higher cost of living and the lack of differential though...I guess that's the tradeoff.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

So how’s everybody’s bidding going? Worried? Feeling good?

Not bidding until 2021 however I do look at the projected list occasionally. After this tour I'll have a kid who will only have two more years until they graduate HS so so I have to (somewhat) strategically plan...

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry should have posted this sooner. DS Special Agent vacancy announcement. Happy to answer any questions people may have.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512679700

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

SCRwM posted:

Not bidding until 2021 however I do look at the projected list occasionally. After this tour I'll have a kid who will only have two more years until they graduate HS so so I have to (somewhat) strategically plan...

That was a major factor for us this time, too. Worked out better than I could have expected, but sure made for some creative strategizing.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Bruxism posted:

Sorry should have posted this sooner. DS Special Agent vacancy announcement. Happy to answer any questions people may have.

Hey. 2 questions. Can you maintain a candidacy for DS and take FSOT and get on register for FSO positions at same time? I am a PCV in ________ right now and thinking about my options. Also, any tips for these essays?

wetdela fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 12, 2018

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

nurabsal posted:

Can you maintain a candidacy for DS and take FSOT and get on register for FSO positions at same time? I am a PCV in ________ right now and thinking about my options. Also, any tips for these essays?

Yes, but as soon as you accept a conditional offer you're removed from the other register.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Bruxism posted:

Do you have to be a jacked ex special forces type to compete for this job? I'm ex military, was a navy officer.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Do you have to be a jacked ex special forces type to compete for this job? I'm ex military, was a navy officer.

Nope, you're good as long as you're reasonably in shape. Our PRT (currently, rumor is it might change) is based on the Navy PRT.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Tyro posted:

Nope, you're good as long as you're reasonably in shape. Our PRT (currently, rumor is it might change) is based on the Navy PRT.

How does location assignment work for a DS position like this?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Howard Phillips posted:

How does location assignment work for a DS position like this?

What do you mean by location assignment? Where you are hired from or where you get posted? If you are from a city in the states with a field office you have a better chance of getting posted there. If you are from DC not only do you get screwed out of training per diem, but you are 100% going to Washington dc field office. You must do a domestic field office first and then have about a 60% chance of going over seas. There are always exceptions and no two agents follow the same path. My career up to this point has been very different from Tyro's.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

That was a major factor for us this time, too. Worked out better than I could have expected, but sure made for some creative strategizing.

Well wife really wants to get back to EUR and there are some sweet spots I'll need to do some extra lobbying for.

I've also toyed with letting the family shelter at our current Post to let the kid finish HS (school here is great) and do a double in PSP.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Tyro posted:

Out of curiosity: are there any/many RPCV's rattling around at DS ? I wouldn't think it'd be as common as with the Foreign Service, but I don't come from a military background and am wondering whether there is a bit of a PC alumni network there?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nurabsal posted:

Out of curiosity: are there any/many RPCV's rattling around at DS ? I wouldn't think it'd be as common as with the Foreign Service, but I don't come from a military background and am wondering whether there is a bit of a PC alumni network there?

I've worked with several RPCVs that became Special Agents. It's not as common, but there are more than you think. Military and police background are not requirements and lacking it should not discourage you from applying. I think the hiring panel will look on PC experience favorably. AF bureau is calling!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

I've worked with several RPCVs that became Special Agents. It's not as common, but there are more than you think. Military and police background are not requirements and lacking it should not discourage you from applying. I think the hiring panel will look on PC experience favorably. AF bureau is calling!

Yeah my class was actually fairly heavy on the Peace Corps volunteers. Something like 10+% of my class had been PC. And as far as I can tell those folks are doing well in their careers. I think my class was roughly a third former law enforcement, a third former military and a third private sector/other experience.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
One of my ARSOs was an RPCV.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Passed the FSOT. Was pleasantly surprised. 164/6. Now two weeks to submit PN.

Anyone know if FSO hiring numbers are going up this year?

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 27, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Passed the FSOT. Was pleasantly surprised. 164/6. Now two weeks to submit PNN.

want back on the federal teat? You welfare queens are all the same

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

want back on the federal teat? You welfare queens are all the same

Lol don't give a poo poo about the low pay that DOS gives out. Ironically I'd be making way more if I had stayed in as a career military officer. Need a mission and excitement, just not the Navy type.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Lol don't give a poo poo about the low pay that DOS gives out. Ironically I'd be making way more if I had stayed in as a career military officer. Need a mission and excitement, just not the Navy type.

Entry level is marginal - but once you make 02, it's decent. Also considering overseas, housing is included...

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Howard Phillips posted:

Passed the FSOT. Was pleasantly surprised. 164/6. Now two weeks to submit PN.

Hiring has been better under Pompeo than it was under Tillerson. The hiring freeze is over and A-100s have been happening on schedule. But considering that it can take 1.5-3 years to go through the entire process, there's no telling what hiring will look like in 2020.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

once you make 02, it's decent.

Ha

Hahaha

:(

The way DS promotions are going I'll be lucky to pick up my 2 before I hit retirement age.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tyro posted:

Ha

Hahaha

:(

The way DS promotions are going I'll be lucky to pick up my 2 before I hit retirement age.

Just gotta get overseas and do good work, brother.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Just gotta get overseas and do good work, brother.

Yeah... working on it. It's just crazy to me that I'll be 40% of the way to retirement by the time I finish my first overseas assignment.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Tyro posted:

Yeah... working on it. It's just crazy to me that I'll be 40% of the way to retirement by the time I finish my first overseas assignment.

Are you FSS? I thought FSOs are mostly overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Are you FSS? I thought FSOs are mostly overseas.

Yep FSS. In my specific job series about 2/3 of our available positions are domestic.