Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah I love glasses but whenever I have to work outside or go to the gym with them they're annoying and I can't afford contacts.

Contacts are OK, but my eyes are jerks and don't produce enough tears for contacts, so they get uncomfortable. I have to constantly use rewetting drops, or everything gets blurry. In my case, expense isn't really much more than glasses, though it's been a while since I used them. Had some to test which sort of correction I wanted for the LASIK, and that just reconfirmed how annoying they are to me. I'm still going to have to wear one of them in the interim between cataract surgery and LASIK, though, I think.

Suburban Dad posted:

Garage chat: Mine is small, but I still fit 2 cars in and a bunch of tools and poo poo. More space is always better though for sure.

From the garage thread:

I have since upgraded my crappy toolboxes to a giant monster Husky. We park so the center aisle is wide (pull in on right side, back in on left side so driver's doors open to the center), and it works fine. I can't fit a full size truck in there (around 200" long is the limit for cars) but otherwise it's not the end of the world. When working on a car, I just pull it to the center and kick out the other car.

My garage would be much better if I didn't have to share it with the washer and dryer, and therefore the laundry that inevitably gets strewn about while washing is going on (always.)
At the very top of my list for the next house is "dedicated laundry room". That's non-negotiable.

quote:

Lasik chat: that's awesome Darchangel! I wish I could pay money to never have to worry about my eyes degrading and have perfect vision. I'm not a good candidate for Lasik and I'm sure they're only gonna get worse from here (only 33).

See if you can get Crystal Lens. That's basically the implants I'm getting for the cataracts, but elective without the cataracts. I'm 48 49, but the first cataract was in my late 30s.

angryrobots posted:

You should shop around, cause that's real expensive.

Agree. The place I'm going is fancy in an upscale suburb (Southlake, for you Dallasites) and it's $1750 per eye all in without any insurance or discounts. Some of the LASIK "mills" around here are considerably less, and still have acceptable results, per reviews. The place I'm going to specializes in cataracts and LASIK (they did my previous cataract)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got the 66" Husky bench with the cabinet door and the wood top not long ago. I'm very happy with it.

They remodeled a floor here at work, and I salvages two of the doors - 8' x 36 of solid wood with a convenient hole for cords in the back. Currently they're in storage, to be fitted when I build shelving along the left wall of the garage (built the right side a few years ago.) Another guy salvaged a bunch of the 8' tall tempered glass panels in varying widths to use in a greenhouse, and several more of the doors for workbenches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

They remodeled a floor here at work, and I salvages two of the doors - 8' x 36 of solid wood with a convenient hole for cords in the back. Currently they're in storage, to be fitted when I build shelving along the left wall of the garage (built the right side a few years ago.) Another guy salvaged a bunch of the 8' tall tempered glass panels in varying widths to use in a greenhouse, and several more of the doors for workbenches as well.

My last bench was about 36" deep (I built it to fill a specific space) and it was just wide enough to be a pain in the rear end. I'm 6'1" on a good day and I had to reach for a lot of things on the pegboard. New bench/cabinet is 24" wide and it's great not having to stretch for poo poo anymore. If those doors are going to go under pegboard, I'd think about ripping them down a bit. Might be good full-width under some cabinets, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I walk up to random people on the street and say “I wish I was aborting a baby right now.”

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"...and that baby? Albert Einstein."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

veiled boner fuel posted:

I walk up to random people on the street and say “I wish I was aborting a baby right now.”

Yeah but do you mean aborting one from your own body or someone else's?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

In real life when somebody expresses a differing opinion, I don't think most people are confrontational enough to do this.

In real life most people are scared to voice their lovely opinions on controversial subjects anyway. I have no problems confronting people spouting horse poo poo, but it's probably because i confront people for a living so I'm used to it. I have a really hard time not calling out racist poo poo and have called out random strangers for it before. And of course it's always "I'm not racist, but......" :fuckoff:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Garage chat: jealous of all y'all with big garages. Though I could have it worse, I have an oversized one car. Big enough for the car and bike and tools and lawn stuff, but no room to work on a car, so its just for parking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I need more garage space....for reasons.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have a three car garage but we were dumb when building our house and didn't think to extend it a foot or two. Additional with our lot and other houses on the street that were already built to make our houses seem level and inline with others it meant our foundation/basement was not as deep in the ground as others. That means the man door from our garage has 5 or 6 steps rather than one or two to get into the house. Those steps encroach enough that it eliminates one spot from the two car garage. I am going to get a landing and some stairs built that will allow the second car to be parked in that spot. Suffering from a case of :effort: because there are kids toys/bikes/strollers and stuff taking up that space anyways. The real solution is to build some storage shelves for crap, and then import a Kei car like Kaker which would have no problems fitting (This genuinely is what I want to do).

The third bay is about 1 1/2 deep so I have a nice hobby/workbench area where the M3 lives and is away from kids.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Contacts are OK, but my eyes are jerks and don't produce enough tears for contacts, so they get uncomfortable. I have to constantly use rewetting drops, or everything gets blurry. In my case, expense isn't really much more than glasses, though it's been a while since I used them. Had some to test which sort of correction I wanted for the LASIK, and that just reconfirmed how annoying they are to me. I'm still going to have to wear one of them in the interim between cataract surgery and LASIK, though, I think.

I wasn't kidding I'm going to look into getting LASIK when I get a better job. For now though I like wearing glasses because they're hip and make me look like a dude in an indie rock band which is convenient for many different situations.

Also just found out that my boss is into tuner culture. He rolled up with a new Focus RS the other day and I finally got around to talking to him about it.

He used to do a bunch of Honda engine swaps with the B series motors.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have a three car garage but we were dumb when building our house and didn't think to extend it a foot or two. Additional with our lot and other houses on the street that were already built to make our houses seem level and inline with others it meant our foundation/basement was not as deep in the ground as others. That means the man door from our garage has 5 or 6 steps rather than one or two to get into the house. Those steps encroach enough that it eliminates one spot from the two car garage. I am going to get a landing and some stairs built that will allow the second car to be parked in that spot. Suffering from a case of :effort: because there are kids toys/bikes/strollers and stuff taking up that space anyways. The real solution is to build some storage shelves for crap, and then import a Kei car like Kaker which would have no problems fitting (This genuinely is what I want to do).

The third bay is about 1 1/2 deep so I have a nice hobby/workbench area where the M3 lives and is away from kids.

I'm honestly shocked you haven't mounted a racing seat to a Vekta.5 yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My last bench was about 36" deep (I built it to fill a specific space) and it was just wide enough to be a pain in the rear end. I'm 6'1" on a good day and I had to reach for a lot of things on the pegboard. New bench/cabinet is 24" wide and it's great not having to stretch for poo poo anymore. If those doors are going to go under pegboard, I'd think about ripping them down a bit. Might be good full-width under some cabinets, though.

Yeah, I'll fiddle around with the design. I definitely don't need them to be 8' long, I don't think. I need to measure my current benchtops, which were once Mrs. Baird's bread displays. 3' x 6' I think, arranged in a corner, one along each wall, at two different heights.
Also, I think I'll go with a frame made of 1" square tubing this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1jeViV4l8

Jamie has an excellent point. If you have a welder, trying to build stuff like that out of wood is just dumb.
Also, I love those nested tables.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I wasn't kidding I'm going to look into getting LASIK when I get a better job. For now though I like wearing glasses because they're hip and make me look like a dude in an indie rock band which is convenient for many different situations.

Do it! It's still a chunk of change, but being able to see and not worry about lenses... I've been waiting, literally, 40 years for this. Worn glasses since 3rd grade. loving hate them. Less than 2 weeks 'til the first part now. If I stop posting after the 23rd, I died or went blind.

edit: just realized I'm going to need a chop saw for that table frame. New tool time!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I'll fiddle around with the design. I definitely don't need them to be 8' long, I don't think. I need to measure my current benchtops, which were once Mrs. Baird's bread displays. 3' x 6' I think, arranged in a corner, one along each wall, at two different heights.
Also, I think I'll go with a frame made of 1" square tubing this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1jeViV4l8

Jamie has an excellent point. If you have a welder, trying to build stuff like that out of wood is just dumb.
Also, I love those nested tables.

Do it! It's still a chunk of change, but being able to see and not worry about lenses... I've been waiting, literally, 40 years for this. Worn glasses since 3rd grade. loving hate them. Less than 2 weeks 'til the first part now. If I stop posting after the 23rd, I died or went blind.

edit: just realized I'm going to need a chop saw for that table frame. New tool time!

nah you'll just be shitposting with a braille keyboard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

nah you'll just be shitposting with a braille keyboard.

Gotta learn braille first.
I'll dictate to my daughter instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha, yeah it's $4K before the discount, I just didn't read the entire form. Should be under $3100 for both eyes. I was quoted $2600 PER eye about 4 years ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Gotta learn braille first.
I'll dictate to my daughter instead.

"I told you, it's colon s c a x colon, get it loving right!"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I'm honestly shocked you haven't mounted a racing seat to a Vekta.5 yet.

I need to! I should at least pull my kids around with one.

Who else is happy that Fall TV is back? It’s the best way to deal with the oncoming seasonal depression.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know you guys like doggies, and I created a thread in Pet Island with some breed test results if you guys are curious how two different brands compare. I thought you might be curious. Spoiler alert: I don't really know which is the most correct.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871173

Otherwise, here is a doggy pic

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
World Time attack livestream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjyzQgsl9QM

It's 1:40pm australia time, 1st afternoon open class going now, pro and pro am next.

schedule here:

http://www.worldtimeattack.com/downloads/2018/EventProgram2018.pdf

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Good luck watching that with the showers all weekend

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Dry now, mca put down a 1:22, rp968 1:23 for their first hot laps of the session.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh cool, restricting abortions and advocating for Eugenics and ignoring the massive financial drain that is our military budget.

Thanks for making me read that wall of filth.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I read the first bit about abortion and was all "huh, what a lovely opinion" then later on dude supports it if it was in the interest of the mother?? I'm not gonna read back through that lot but there were a few things in that screed that seemed contradictory.

You saw this, right? I mean, fair enough to be mad at an absurd wall of text getting quoted a million times or a lovely joke not being funny but...

builds character posted:

I started out trying to get (and rationalize) a 10/10 for authoritarian conservative, but then I got carried away in the other direction when I realized that the state wouldn't like the free market very much and now I can't stop.

My personal views are pretty standard for this thread.

Humphreys posted:

He is. Single dad just trying to do his best and gets this blow. In the ~12 hours since, we (his friends) already secretly have a SC V8 Statesman and hand me down seats for the girls ready to roll out tomorrow. Also a talk to the cops have released the comfort toys.

Charles posted:

I know you guys like doggies, and I created a thread in Pet Island with some breed test results if you guys are curious how two different brands compare. I thought you might be curious. Spoiler alert: I don't really know which is the most correct.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871173

Otherwise, here is a doggy pic

These are both very good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Free Market is trash. Stop reading Ayn Rand.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

Free Market is trash. Stop reading Ayn Rand.

The Free MarketTM is a golden cow that we should sacrifice its worshipers upon. A free-ish market is good, but some of the largest companies in our market should be nationalized as essential utilities. Even worse, the freedom the market gives them actively deincentivises them to innovate or improve any aspect of their service, since they sit on a nice, regulation free monopoly

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey guys: the wall of text was a fakepost. It was a joke that didn't land. p sure builds character doesn't actually hold those views. chill

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
either way im glad i didn't read it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, check hoses and the rad first. you might have got lucky.

Definitely a good learning opportunity! give me a shout if you need a hand/moral support/additional tools!

InitialDave posted:

Assuming it is the HG, it could well be a popped radiator or similar. Investigate first.

If it is the HG, it depends which car it is for how much of an arse of a job it would be. It's certainly a manageable driveway repair provided it's not done further damage.

Thanks, I'll tear into it this weekend and see if it's bad. It's the 1.8 Volvo S40, I think we'll get it back together and get rid, neither of us actually like the car and we need something bigger.

My wife has been on autotrader and her current browsing list is Volvo V70, Citroen Berlingo, VW touran and Honda FRV. All petrol, I don't actually have a problem with anything on that list.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

fridge corn posted:

either way im glad i didn't read it

:same:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

I need more garage space....for reasons.

20x30x11 foot shop with a workshop and mezzanine at on end and I still cant get a loving car in the thing...

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Off to Glasgow for my stag do today.
It's nice to hear the locals are so friendly handing out smiles and kisses

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

freelop posted:

Off to Glasgow for my stag do today.
It's nice to hear the locals are so friendly handing out smiles and kisses

If you are English, make sure you tell everyone you meet and you'll get a great welcome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Make sure you call them English too, so they don't feel left out.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thanks, I'll tear into it this weekend and see if it's bad. It's the 1.8 Volvo S40, I think we'll get it back together and get rid, neither of us actually like the car and we need something bigger.

My wife has been on autotrader and her current browsing list is Volvo V70, Citroen Berlingo, VW touran and Honda FRV. All petrol, I don't actually have a problem with anything on that list.
How about a Skoda Yeti? AWD turbo one, obviously.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My father looked at a Berlingo a couple of years ago and thought it was horribly flimsy inside.

InitialDave posted:

The look good in the flesh and seem terribly popular.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Make sure you call them English too, so they don't feel left out.

Practically speaking I vetoed anything too mechanically complex so we're down to non-turbo petrol things. No need for AWD either. Yetis are good cars but not roomy enough. I may advise against the V70 too based on running and service costs. The touran and Berlingo look favourites.

E: the previous gen Berlingo feels like a cheap plastic shed inside, I hope the later one is slightly better.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the consumer versions of those light duty commercial vans are never nice imo and the only people who seem to buy them are oaps you love walks in the countryside and they drive slow as gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

20x30x11 foot shop with a workshop and mezzanine at on end and I still cant get a loving car in the thing...

Spare parts, engines, and transmissions are eating up my free space.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Going to the courthouse in Caledon this morning to meet with the Crown prosecutor about my speeding ticket.

Wearing a suit, but my question for ya'll is, hat or no hat?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Today is a Good Day

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

hat or no hat?

No hat.