Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Also eyeballs evolved for water animals and all the land-walker eyes are basically retrofitted to that purpose, we're lucky they work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

Dick Bastardly posted:

What's the deal with eye problems? If it was genetic you'd think that the bad DNA wouldn't have made it this far in the bloodline due to premature deaths during the hunter gatherer period of human development.

At what point did corrective lenses really become common I wonder?

people with bad eyesight weren't picky when choosing partners so their genes spread widely

Manifisto

I am jealous of creatures that have nictitating membranes, how cool would that be

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

ChubbyChecker posted:

people with bad eyesight weren't picky when choosing partners so their genes spread widely

laffo

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ChubbyChecker posted:

:golfclap:

alnilam

ChubbyChecker posted:

lol

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

ChubbyChecker posted:

:lol:

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

beer pal

yo... yall ever had Pasta before

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

City of Glompton

i hate it! sorry

beer pal

oh... my bad

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

i hate it! sorry

you're nuts! :grin:

Robot Made of Meat

City of Glompton posted:

i hate it! sorry

:raise:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Consider yourself semi lucky i guess if wearing correction is even a yes or no question for you. I can't even walk around or cross the street without correction :(

People are correcting you on how to walk and cross streets? That's rude and those people are mean.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

beer pal

cops always correcting me on how i drive

xcheopis

As if they have room to talk. Why, just this morning I saw two, two!, cop cars pull an illegal u-turn (the sign says no u-turns, you scofflaws!) and then run a red light! wtf!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Flesh Forge

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hello, i have posted :confuoot:

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Hi.

----------------

Manifisto

Flesh Forge posted:

hello & welcome! you have actually come to the right place to tell us about your dog, or at least post another pic (assuming that the cutie in your avatar is really yours). also we like to hear about hobbies and crimes.

ty nesamdoom!

drilldo squirt

So I've been playing the new pathfinder game that's out and it's got me screwing around that pathfinder wiki and they have space ships called spelljammers and everything is as ridiculous as you think it would be.

----------------

Stooge

Manifisto posted:

also we like to hear about hobbies and crimes.

also tell us about crimes your dog has committed

Jaded Burnout

beer pal posted:

yo... yall ever had Pasta before

yeah my fiend Alan introductioned me to it. Alan Dente.

TOOT BOOT

drilldo squirt posted:

So I've been playing the new pathfinder game that's out and it's got me screwing around that pathfinder wiki and they have space ships called spelljammers and everything is as ridiculous as you think it would be.

Spelljammer was a D&D setting in the 80s, it had space-faring hippos

drilldo squirt

TOOT BOOT posted:

I want this more than I have ever wanted anything in my life.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Please tell me who to throw money at to get a video game based on that nonsense.

----------------

sb hermit

TOOT BOOT posted:

spelljammer is gonna be my new dj name

ChubbyChecker

Flesh Forge posted:

hi and welcome! post your pets

ChubbyChecker

drilldo squirt posted:

Please tell me who to throw money at to get a video game based on that nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer:_Pirates_of_Realmspace

but iirc it wasn't very good

drilldo squirt

Sad, do they have the giant glass sphere holding back the weird black poo poo from entering wildspace and the bunch of evil dudes walking around it that makes it possible for you to go through said giant glass sphere?

----------------

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
We also like to hear about your baked goods, new postin pal.

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

Consider yourself semi lucky i guess if wearing correction is even a yes or no question for you. I can't even walk around or cross the street without correction :(

between my -7 contact prescription and astigmatism ive been told im legally blind without correction, and been that way pretty much my whole life

as much as I hate it and wish I was a candidate for or could afford surgery, I like to be thankful that there is technology to let me see at least fairly well. if I was born far enough in the past, I probably would just be begging on a street corner or something!

alnilam

Twenty Four posted:

between my -7 contact prescription and astigmatism ive been told im legally blind without correction, and been that way pretty much my whole life

as much as I hate it and wish I was a candidate for or could afford surgery, I like to be thankful that there is technology to let me see at least fairly well. if I was born far enough in the past, I probably would just be begging on a street corner or something!

Yeah i think a lot about how hosed i'd be in a prior age. I definitely think about corrective surgery now and then but I've never made the move and it's spensive.

ty manifisto

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

Yeah i think a lot about how hosed i'd be in a prior age. I definitely think about corrective surgery now and then but I've never made the move and it's spensive.

I got checked for lasik many years ago and was told my eyes were so misshapen that they couldn't fix them because there wasn't enough to work with or something, but I would guess the technology has improved somewhat since then so maybe?

The cost is definitely an issue though especially for my poor rear end. I hear adds on the radio about doing surgery for like $300 an eye but I bet once you get there they would be like "oh wow you're that bad and need this and this and that" and suddenly it turns from 300 bucks to like $7000, even if they are able to do it now.

Farecoal

There he go
sometimes I think about how hosed i would be in a post apocalypse, between my medication-requiring broke brain and my terrible eyesight

alnilam

Twenty Four posted:

I got checked for lasik many years ago and was told my eyes were so misshapen that they couldn't fix them because there wasn't enough to work with or something, but I would guess the technology has improved somewhat since then so maybe?

The cost is definitely an issue though especially for my poor rear end. I hear adds on the radio about doing surgery for like $300 an eye but I bet once you get there they would be like "oh wow you're that bad and need this and this and that" and suddenly it turns from 300 bucks to like $7000, even if they are able to do it now.

the radio ad ones are definitely a gimmick to lure you in, there's no way they do it for less than several K per eye

i would also not trust the outfits that put out those ads because they are willing to do a sales gimmick to bring people in for surgery they're probably not super trustworthy

the tricky thing is that lasik is optive surgery so a lot of slightly less scrupulous surgeons will do it no matter what. my point here is that if someone told you "sorry bud but probably not for you," that person was probably scrupulous and i would value their advice, which unfortunately is bad news for you because it means you probably shouldn't get it :(

i haven't been checked out yet but I have a feelinng i will be told something similar

ty manifisto

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

the radio ad ones are definitely a gimmick to lure you in, there's no way they do it for less than several K per eye

i would also not trust the outfits that put out those ads because they are willing to do a sales gimmick to bring people in for surgery they're probably not super trustworthy

the tricky thing is that lasik is optive surgery so a lot of slightly less scrupulous surgeons will do it no matter what. my point here is that if someone told you "sorry bud but probably not for you," that person was probably scrupulous and i would value their advice, which unfortunately is bad news for you because it means you probably shouldn't get it :(

i haven't been checked out yet but I have a feelinng i will be told something similar

Yeah I totally agree, my only thoughts was "the tech probably got better in the past decade and a half and maybe now it is possible?" I definitely wouldn't trust my vision with discount eye surgery.

Farecoal posted:

sometimes I think about how hosed i would be in a post apocalypse, between my medication-requiring broke brain and my terrible eyesight

I have thought about this before and thought that while everyone else would be raiding grocery stores and stuff, I would be stocking up on as many contact lenses and glasses to last my life and selling the ones that don't match my prescription to someone for a can of beans or something lol.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I have pretty good vision, but I'd pay a grand an eye for laser eyes.

Jaded Burnout

Farecoal posted:

You might enjoy The Doomsday Book.

Jaded Burnout

I am chock full of burger nom nom nom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

someone mentioned David Attenborough in the joke thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aP4WZEy9GI