Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

Did we ever get anything remotely similar to another Mario game on N64? Seems kinda odd looking back now. Most consoles that launch with a Mario game end up having 2 entries by the time it's done.

they were working on a 64DD game but they cancelled it for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

American McGay posted:

Did we ever get anything remotely similar to another Mario game on N64? Seems kinda odd looking back now. Most consoles that launch with a Mario game end up having 2 entries by the time it's done.

nah, they let Rare take over on 3D platformers unfortunately

that was the gen where they invented all the rest of the mario spinoff series though (golf, tennis, party, paper)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dunno if mario 64 2 became sunshine or what, but they were talking about it throughout the n64's life, always like 'it's coming'

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Super Mario 128 is releasing soon. You can get into the beta if you preordered Meowth Party

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

omg meowth party. that spaceworld was so good

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff posted:

i need mario maker switch

it will be what tips me over into buying a switch exactly like my wiiu

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

*fondly remembers talking about mario every day to my ex girlfriend until she cracked and bought me a wiiu* what a magical year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember when somebody drove g0m insane with a mario maker level with the dangling prospect of a free copy of the cyber punk bar tending game that took less time to beat than the mario maker level

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I remember when somebody drove g0m insane with a mario maker level with the dangling prospect of a free copy of the cyber punk bar tending game that took less time to beat than the mario maker level

that was me

i think evileagle played it and recorded that level at some point

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

*fondly remembers talking about mario every day to my ex girlfriend until she cracked and bought me a wiiu* what a magical year

Lmfao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zas posted:

omg meowth party. that spaceworld was so good

I still want those spaceworld gba colors that never came out

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Started replaying Mario Odyssey today, it's still the best game I've ever played. Do you think there's a chance they make an Odyssey 2 eventually?

Could use save states and maybe all the moons should just be in a straight line at the beginning of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Could use save states and maybe all the moons should just be in a straight line at the beginning of the game.

drat harder than odyssey? Seems risky

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

drat harder than odyssey? Seems risky

a peaceful kek to you as i sip my tea

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Y'all joke but I bet none of you bitches even got 999 moons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did even though it was pointless and then the balloon mode they added was a way more fun way to get endless coins than doing the cloud dash part in Bowser's Castle over and over again.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Same.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

700+ .. i think i got most of the interesting ones

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

I hope the next mario game is either a new maker game or a 2D game that doesn't piss me off to look at

There was a rumor (?) (probably just made up bullshit?) that the next 2D mario would have a hand-drawn style matching all the old concept art and box art Yoichi Kotabe did for the old games which would look cool as hell. I hate the character design in Rayman games but whatever tech they used for their animations and stuff in the last 2 games would look insanely sick for Mario

edit: oh it came from an interview with Miyamoto last year that actually references Rayman

quote:

Would you ever like to see it move in the same way that a game like Rayman Legends, which is coming up on the Switch, in that beautiful 2D art style. Do you think Kotabe’s art could work with movement in that style?

I think there’s many different ways we could do it. But at the same time, if you ask some elementary school kids, a lot of them don’t recognize or don’t know the Mario from Mr. Kotabe. All they’ve seen is stuff from 3D Mario or 3D Mario World. So, I think our challenge is going to be trying to bring awareness to that side of Mario moving forward.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 12, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

goferchan posted:

There was a rumor (?) (probably just made up bullshit?) that the next 2D mario would have a hand-drawn style matching all the old concept art and box art Yoichi Kotabe did for the old games which would look cool as hell. I hate the character design in Rayman games but whatever tech they used for their animations and stuff in the last 2 games would look insanely sick for Mario

edit: oh it came from an interview with Miyamoto last year that actually references Rayman
gently caress elementary school kids.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

American McGay posted:

gently caress elementary school kids.

Hey they didn't say they were gonna hire Rare to make the game :D :D

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That wario game on the wii had good art

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stan Taylor posted:

That wario game on the wii had good art

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

goferchan posted:

Hey they didn't say they were gonna hire Rare to make the game :D :D

:cawg:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7jW0rgjnJ0

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A minute is a minute...you can't say its only a half

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

i get the joke here but what's the actual max moons without buying the spares? was it 920 or 900? it's a really good feeling getting them all. i hope nintendo makes another 3D mario platformer for the switch.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

i get the joke here but what's the actual max moons without buying the spares? was it 920 or 900? it's a really good feeling getting them all. i hope nintendo makes another 3D mario platformer for the switch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd love a new 3D world style game, OR, alternatively, I'd love if Retro was making a 3D DKC game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Never played Mother 3 but feel like I have to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Never played Mother 3 but feel like I have to.
It's good. It's really slow to start because the game doesn't give you many party members for a while, but it's worth the time.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The end of the first chapter is badass.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

How is the combat different from EB, or is it essentially the same?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
mostly the same but buffs/debuffs are a lot more important and normal attacks have a rhythm game element to them. you can chain 16 hits together if you keep pressing a on the beat of the battle music and theres a ton of different music for different fights

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That sounds way better to me, I love me some SMRPG timed hits son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

mostly the same but buffs/debuffs are a lot more important and normal attacks have a rhythm game element to them. you can chain 16 hits together if you keep pressing a on the beat of the battle music and theres a ton of different music for different fights

are GBA emulators better about the music stuff now? I remember back when the translation patch first came out I found it impossible to get the rhythm stuff to work