Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

replaced by nonprofit centers

This is the important takeaway. DaVita and Fresenius trying to spook people by saying clinics will close out of capitalist spite is bullshit. There's an earmarked pile government money literally sitting on a table waiting for whoever fills the demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I disagree with Pete Rates on 8 just because I don’t believe there’s going to be any substantial closures at all. It’s just oodles of free money and 15% profit is still insane by almost every other business standard and you just know they’re going to work around that and still get 150% profit because of course they are

most retail operates at around 2-3% net profit margins for reference.

In the event there are; j hope we can get state run or nonprofit facilities instead

The prop really should be establishing state run facilities and banning for profit ones instead, but eh it’s a start

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2018

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

bumming your scene posted:

Cages for republican chickens

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

How does capping rent increases paid by all renters benefit only "well-connected" (to whom?) renters?

If you're a landlord in a high demand area and the price you can charge is fixed, you're looking for a tenant whose income is big enough and job is stable (so they'll pay the rent on time), and has decent references/doesn't seem insane. Beyond that, they're all pretty much interchangeable. You can probably find someone during the last tenant's 30 days notice without trying very hard (landlords mostly wait normally because they can get higher rent for someplace that's empty, clean, and can be shown whenever someone wants to come by and it more than compensates for the time it's empty between people). Most cheap places will probably be "the last tenant is still here, we're showing it on date X for an hour or two, someone will have rented it by the end of the day" or skip ads entirely.

It's not a horrible outcome or anything, but any system (including free market) is solving how to allocate housing when there's more people who want to live somewhere than places to put them. Someone gets pushed out, so think about who that is and if it's ok. And think about how the system impacts building new supply, since that's going to be what determines housing pressure in the future.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lol I just learned about the crazy people at Beverly Hills High School trying to stop the Purple Line, this is wild.

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1050794105825980416?s=21

The school is bussing a bunch of kids to a park for a two hour “walk out” protest to ask Trump to revoke federal funding.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm going to guess their primary concern is not construction noise and vibration.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CPColin posted:

I'm going to guess their primary concern is not construction noise and vibration.

Supposedly it's fear that the tunneling will destabilize methane gas pockets beneath the school, but Metro has done a bunch of studies on it and it's not a problem. Also the alternative was tunneling over a fault line which doesn't seem great either.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Always nice to get this in table form.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Badger of Basra posted:

Supposedly it's fear that the tunneling will destabilize methane gas pockets beneath the school, but Metro has done a bunch of studies on it and it's not a problem. Also the alternative was tunneling over a fault line which doesn't seem great either.

i can attest that saying :qq: building the purple line will blow up beverly hills!! :qq: is guaranteed to get literally the rest of the county on board with building the drat thing full speed ahead

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Plus wasn't there a literal oil rig on the site of the high school for decades??

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

HOT BREAD! posted:

Plus wasn't there a literal oil rig on the site of the high school for decades??

There's oil rigs all over Bevery Hills, they're just hidden.

Yeah that has always been about the poors being able to come into BH. For literal decades we had an entire rail line that went to one stop different from the Red

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Badger of Basra posted:

Lol I just learned about the crazy people at Beverly Hills High School trying to stop the Purple Line, this is wild.
They can all go gently caress themselves. They already crippled the subway once. gently caress their white panic bullshit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ICMB posted:

The Republicans recommend No for housing for veterans? I'm surprised.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

ICMB posted:

Sweet, thanks for posting this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

The Republicans recommend No for housing for veterans? I'm surprised.

They hate bonds (but are weirdly in favor of bonds for homeless?). They also apparently hate chickens. I love that they're literally the only Nos on both of those.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Anyone have a good breakdown of the Sacramento city/county measure?

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 12, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn't the methane gas excuse the same poo poo that was drummed up when the red line was initially proposed to go to the beach?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you guys are joking right, telling veterans who maybe want something besides bullshit empty platitudes to go eat poo poo is republican orthodoxy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Republicans successfully hijacked this Victimized Vietnam Veteran mentality and convinced a whole new generation of vets that asking for handouts is pathetic and weak except when applied as an emotional cudgel and whattaboutism against other pet issues like feminism, racism, immigrants, etc.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

now that's a solidly scammy one

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Isn't the methane gas excuse the same poo poo that was drummed up when the red line was initially proposed to go to the beach?

red line goes through hollywood and universal studios and ends at noho at the moment

but yeah beverly hills has come up with all sorts of crap to block the purple line from going to UCLA or santa monica, and hell it's only now that the purple line is being extended past koreatown and to where LACMA is

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like that the "Arguments for no" is actually a thinly veiled "the gas tax is going to everything except road improvement"

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pete confirmed my suspicions about Prop 5 in a succinct way. I wonder if it will pass in "progressive" CA lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I like how the LA Times joins the Republican Party and the Chamber of Commerce in being the only proponents/opponents of some of these props.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I like how the LA Times joins the Republican Party and the Chamber of Commerce in being the only proponents/opponents of some of these props.

the la times is owned by this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Soon-Shiong

quote:

Born July 29, 1952 (age 66)
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Nationality South African
American

Net worth US$7.6 billion (August 2018)[1]

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The LA Times has always been a relatively conservative paper. That's nothing new.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I know all that, I'm just pointing out what a rag it is

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh ok yeah

essentially every newspaper's editorial page is absolute garbage

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

They hate bonds (but are weirdly in favor of bonds for homeless?). They also apparently hate chickens. I love that they're literally the only Nos on both of those.

I'm betting because they want to see *something* done about all the homeless people near their Orange County home. It's directly bothering them.

No idea about the chicken thing though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why the republicans hate the chicken thing is even more obvious. it's a regulation.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Those chickens just need to pick up their bootstraps and build bigger cages themselves if they want 'em.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Pete confirmed my suspicions about Prop 5 in a succinct way. I wonder if it will pass in "progressive" CA lol
i feel 5 is deffo going to pass, sadly. if prop 13 was on the ballot for the first time this year, it'd also pass.

6 is dead as a doorknob at least

11 is also sadly likely to pass.

8 has a pretty good shot at passing, although last time there was a health-care price control (drug pricing) prop it failed big time sooo who loving knows.

i think all the bonds will pass as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

why the republicans hate the chicken thing is even more obvious. it's a regulation.

Yeah, that's of course, I just think it's funny sometimes how absurdly strictly they stick to that ideal, and by "funny" I mean infuriating

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They are against regulation

Except,
regarding abortion
Collecting any form of public aid
Immigration
And poor people drugs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

should have been clearer its a regulation against business and the powerful instead of the weak and the Other

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/morganastra/status/1050587682546442241

oh nooooooo not the hideously overpriced houses!!

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Hmm, if Alameda county home values dropped by nearly 100k across the board I might actually be able to buy a tiny, one bedroom house here one day. :thunk:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Hmm, if Alameda county home values dropped by nearly 100k across the board I might actually be able to buy a tiny, one bedroom house here one day. :thunk:

They will in a few years. Recessions coming. Id get a few grand ready to liquify into stocks after we hit deep recession.

And you calgoons that live in fire territory need to really think about adjusting your home insurance to 30% above value if you even think your house could burn. Im lucky but most of my neighbors who have lost their home are facing an 25% markup on construction cost and cant loving pay without taking content out of their home. Dont do this to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like the minor error with the statement "If prop 10 passes Alameda County home values could drop $97,000" in which the word "each" is omitted