Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1050569413420822528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tatooine lookin rear end bitch

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
that felt like a fan trailer mock up

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It definitely seems to belong in the 'animation' thread. Those CG backgrounds just look clinical .

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
like that end bit with the logo is just comedic

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/prozdkp/status/1050590532819275777

:hmmyes:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I love this dude.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
New soundbite for smallfoot: it's an intellectual film that correctly identifies that being intellectual has nothing to do with being smart and everything to do with mindset

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh no. Aladdin's hair. I didn't know street rats had that much access to hair gel.

And they're not gonna beat Eric Goldberg's animation on the genie so think I'll sit this one out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alright y'all. I saw Smallfoot. Overall it was quite good but I wouldn't go to bat for it the same way I did for Trolls.

A couple thoughts and some spoilery things:

The Yetis and the humans can't understand each other verbally at all, which I think is a great touch. It's a very Sony Animation looking cartoony movie but it keeps stuff feeling grounded that the Yetis and the humans can't properly speak to each other. The yetis can to bears though which is funny, since they both have the same kind of roaring sound

The voice acting is REALLY good. Like Zendaya and Channing Tatum knock it out of the park. I haven't seen any of the movies Zendaya has done, I've only heard she's good in them. I'm aware she was a model first and then got into acing, and at least from this movie, she is really loving good at it, and she can sing. I think she probably gives the best performance in the movie, even though I think her design is kind of uninspired (although that's an issue with all of them beyond the Stonekeeper who looks a lot less cool once he takes his robe off)

The movie had several characters that felt pointless, and I felt like they just kind of just felt like wasted screentime. Brenda and Thorp felt like they didn't really contribute anything, but more so than them, loving Fleem was the absolute worst thing in the entire movie and I wish the humans had actually killed him. They do break the fourth wall a bit and have some characters outright say that he sucks (like straight up those words, they say "yeah Fleem sucks") but that doesn't really make it any better. Fleem is awful and I would watch a whole movie of just Olaf before I'd watch any of the Fleem scenes. I also thought Brenda was just kind of a boring character that was supposed to be Percy's conscience I guess but she wasn't really needed for any of that. I also outright hated the Under Pressure song. I don't really like that song in the first place but it all felt like such a weird time waster

I liked how the movie didn't really have an outright villain. Stonekeeper isn't really a villain. He's trying to do the right thing for his people, but he does it in a very lovely way, and is willing to let Percy die to do it. The entire point is that both humans and yetis think each other is a monster, and hiding away from each other actually ends up making it worse. Though I felt he kind of changes his mind on stuff weirdly abruptly, I would've liked them to have spent more time on the Stonekeeper realizing he was wrong. This is kind of an issue with the movie in general is that certain story things tend to move at breakneck speed so it doesn't feel like the story flows naturally. The beginning I think is this biggest example of this, where Migo goes from role model of society to banished from the village in like... 7 minutes. You barely get to know the village and the characters and their whole belief system before he's banished. I also think more time should've been spent on Percy and the Yetis learning to communicate with each other. They montage it but I don't think it really does it justice.

I also think the movie spends a little too much time on comedic loony tunes esque physical comedy sections. They're a blast to watch from an animation standpoint, but things like when the plane crashes at the start or when Migo comes down the mountain the first time kind of go on for longer than they need to. But overall the story is good. Migo & Friends tearing down this system that's built on lies is very interesting to watch, Percy's personal story is less interesting.

Also most of the songs are awesome, Let It Lie is probably the highlight only because the visuals of the machine are VERY cool. It's awesome seeing how the whole machine runs and it's all very industrial looking despite being made out of the mountain itself. I loved seeing Stonekeeper put his staff into stuff and twisting it like a key and then poo poo starts moving or opening. The visuals of the cave drawings are very cool as well.

Overall it was quite good, I wouldn't say it's as good as Trolls as far as movies-you're-gonna-underestimate. Also the trailers do a loving terrible job of selling people on the movie, and they give no indication that it's a musical.

Also semi related, this loving pile of garbage was the first trailer that was shown before the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtD96nYOE3Q

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am going to make an animated movie about a gangster cat who gets hit by a tram and finds jesus

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the cats lay eggs in this universe because that's my fetish

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The eggs are God.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

The eggs are God.

That’s not 2001 enough.

The eggs are Dog.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm irrationally angry at that Cave Of Wonders. The giant tiger head coming out of the sand was a super rad, iconic image. Why did they have to go "realistic" with it?

LeJackal posted:

You're falling into the trap I literally just posted - you want to feed your kids soft, 'safe' and unchallenging media when they need to confront more difficult narratives to develop a mature and nuanced personality. If you just feed them nothing but squeaky clean protagonists they'll grow up with a warped sense of expectations for themselves and others that doesn't allow for subtlety and nuance. Charlie is very charming, likable, and charismatic when he is out to get something and that kind of subtle narcissism isn't something you often see in a protagonist - but it is something we often see in children. In fact, Charlie's journey through the film mirrors closely the idealized moral development we would like to see in our youth as they transition from self centered hedonist into a altruistic citizen that would sacrifice their own interests and life for another.

Surely you understand that there are degrees between "perfect" and "completely unlikeable" and I simply found him to be too far in the latter direction. There are movies that can say something interesting by having a protagonist with no redeeming qualities (comedies, usually) but I don't think that's really what they were going for here. He was obviously supposed to have a redemptive arc, but it didn't come across that way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regalingualius posted:

That’s not 2001 enough.

The eggs are Dog.

Only til they lock themselves in a kitchen and you cure their schizophrenia with a metaphor about water.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm irrationally angry at that Cave Of Wonders. The giant tiger head coming out of the sand was a super rad, iconic image. Why did they have to go "realistic" with it?

And you know, realistically, the Beast constantly puts Belle down. it's 2018 and nobody's nice. asshoel.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

But we addressed the Stockholm Syndrome thing, so it's all good!

I would like to return to a time when Disney wasn't a money printing machine, that or I wish RDJ had turned down Ironman

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My middle school musical production of Aladdin had a better Aladdin costume than that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

The voice acting is REALLY good. Like Zendaya and Channing Tatum knock it out of the park.

I find it odd that people aren't more into her song. I get that it's very modern, but honestly I think it's really pretty, and she sings beautifully.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I find it odd that people aren't more into her song. I get that it's very modern, but honestly I think it's really pretty, and she sings beautifully.

The big thing for me is I would like most of the song, but i hate the part of the song that's like "Go 'round every corner, search every part of the sky". Not the lyrics but the way the song sounds, I don't dig it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9_519_xVQ

It happens twice in the song, and I just don't like how it sounds. I don't know how to explain it beyond that because I'm not a music person, but it just kind of sounds... off. So that particular song just doesn't do it for me like Let It Lie, Perfection or Moment of Truth. It's definitely better than the Under Pressure song which is outright can't stand at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like literally all of the songs but Let It Lie just loving owns so hard.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quote:

Every job and every task as pointless as it seems
All of it ensures that this important machine
Keeps turning and turning and spinnin' around
So those below don't look up and those above don't look down
And they'll look 'cause even if they hear of these atrocities
The only thing stronger than fear is curiosity

That part is so fire

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Das Boo posted:

The eggs are God.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I like literally all of the songs but Let It Lie just loving owns so hard.

It really is. Been listening to it since I saw the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dascPTBaGOA (warning spoilers, but they're so out of context I'm not sure you'd be able to guess the plot from them? I dunno, just thought I'd warning you.)

Edit:

I actually like this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw5GJsY6Hj8

I can 100% understand why someone would hate it and think it's stupid though.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 14, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The voice acting is REALLY good. Like Zendaya and Channing Tatum knock it out of the park. I haven't seen any of the movies Zendaya has done, I've only heard she's good in them. I'm aware she was a model first and then got into acing, and at least from this movie, she is really loving good at it, and she can sing.

If you've seen Spider-Man: Homecoming, she's Michelle "MJ" Jones in that, she's also in The Greatest Showman as the woman on the trapeze that Zac Efron falls for.

She started singing around 2011 and has a bunch of singles and one album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVx0VnqccdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLE48i4XY0

But yah, she's pretty damned good and is one of the few reasons I'd watch Smallfoot (the others being James Corden's singing and the animation).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
upon further reflection the 'wonderful questions' reprise of wonderful life is actually the best song in smallfoot, yes even better than let it lie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here, have some Netflix gubbins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4QEuY4IeU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Cool, a whole new batch of weird icons, banners and auto play trailers to terrorize my grandparents. Thanks Netflix UI !

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Finally got around to watching the new Harvey Birdman special. It's good. You should watch it too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it streaming anywhere?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Seems like Del Toro finally found someone who'll sponsor his Pinocchio project

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/guillermo-del-toro-will-direct-stop-motion-musical-feature-pinocchio-for-netflix-165536.html

Solid talent behind it, hopefully it actually gets made

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Are those loving nazis

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Are those loving nazis

It's set in Italy during the 1930's, they're presumably fascists

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Del toro projects don't happen

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Dammit when are we getting the gritty jiminy cricket origin story we deserve

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If this gets made it will make me renew my Netflix subscription.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh hey, Smuggest loving Fox cameo in this new Ralph Breaks The Internet trailer. That's from Japan for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Even though a previous trailer introduced what the plot is I still don't have much excitement for it. I like all those Disney brands but mashing them all together just seems garish. And anything technology related in the movie is going to be groan worthy ("the internet is crashing!")

It's like sugary foods, I love them but this is like pure cane sugar straight into the vein.