Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't neglect your B team since they take over if your entire A team goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

If the only other DQ game I've played is IV is XI a good second game? I have a week off work coming up and I'm itching for something chill.

It's very chill and really it doesn't matter if you've only played 4 before. You might need more than a week, though!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MechaX posted:

Man, MC, Eighth, Rab, and Sylv just seem like too good of a combo in Act 2 so far unless the other members get massive buffs

There aren’t any bad characters. One you get more skill points, for example, Erik becomes bar none the best single target damage dealer, no questions asked. Besides, using a set team all the time is lame.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

One thing I love about this game is everyone is useful in their own way and no one dominates an important party function to the point where removing them from your roster is suicide.

And anytime you feel someone isn't pulling their weight you can just respec them and see what other fun thing you can do with them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah its really nice that 4 characters out of the 8 are competant healers, and yet all have their own mechanics and abilities as well.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
XI is great standalone, but I will say that you get a lot of warm fuzzies if you’ve played III before. There are a LOT of thematic callbacks. And eventually some direct links

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

HPanda posted:

XI is great standalone, but I will say that you get a lot of warm fuzzies if you’ve played III before. There are a LOT of thematic callbacks. And eventually some direct links

Yeah it's really nice how it's completely enjoyable without having played even a single other one, but if you have it just sort of deepens it :kimchi:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

There aren’t any bad characters. One you get more skill points, for example, Erik becomes bar none the best single target damage dealer, no questions asked. Besides, using a set team all the time is lame.

Rab is bad or at least he spent the most time on the bench in act3 since all he has is mediocre damage and healing.

8 was also a near permanent benchwarmer as their damage is pretty poor and aoe non existent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

8 was also a near permanent benchwarmer as their damage is pretty poor and aoe non existent.

Wow, that's really interesting. I found 8's damage really good despite the lack of AoE.

Also, there is an AoE option in the Axe tree. The hidden panel is Axes of Evil.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Rab is bad or at least he spent the most time on the bench in act3 since all he has is mediocre damage and healing.

rab deserves a break after carrying the party through most of the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8 constantly matched or out damaged my two hander MC, despite using a one handed weapon. Also he has defensive buffs and a heal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus he’s your sword, your shield, your stalwart companion. You can’t put a price on that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

8 constantly matched or out damaged my two hander MC, despite using a one handed weapon. Also he has defensive buffs and a heal.

My sword + shield MC out-damages them in random fights and has way more utility during bosses. Also 8's healing kind of gets outclassed insanely quickly because their mending growth is real bad

8 is at least exceptionally hard to kill though, and that alone has got me out of some stupid situations

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, that's really interesting. I found 8's damage really good despite the lack of AoE.

Also, there is an AoE option in the Axe tree. The hidden panel is Axes of Evil.

It's still just 1 group and the damage is pretty mediocre.

Tae posted:

Yea it was close until I hit act3 and then got a 2hander with over double the attack power of the current one handed weapon 8 had. And the gap never closed :rip:

Yinlock posted:

My sword + shield MC out-damages them in random fights and has way more utility during bosses. Also 8's healing kind of gets outclassed insanely quickly because their mending growth is real bad

8 is at least exceptionally hard to kill though, and that alone has got me out of some stupid situations

That's the only reason he came off the bench. In some hard fights where I absolutely needed to make sure someone was left standing regardless of the RNG.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

MC gets some some really high +STR mods on his skill panel, i think he has the highest strength when you get everything

Calaveron posted:

Plus he’s your sword, your shield, your stalwart companion. You can’t put a price on that

hosed up because you’d have to be insane to not give him an ax

Yinlock posted:

He does get Kazing in the postgame, which is obviously incredible on a character that can’t die

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

hosed up because you’d have to be insane to not give him an ax

Can he still get/use Gyrfalcon Slash if he's not using swords?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Rab is never bad cause dirge is still one of the best pep powers in the game and even if you don't want to use that he's a fantastic trash clearer and a Swiss army knife. You can fix his might/mending in combat by using his massive self buff if you really want.

What I don't like about Rab is the whole crit gimmick with his dark spell. I did not feel like I ever got great returns out of that.

Also the debuff/buff spell splitting between all the various characters is completely on point for balance this time. Which is very much a good thing considering Sylv's Act 3 skillset for enabling some crazy stuff.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 12, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Really Pants posted:

Can he still get/use Gyrfalcon Slash if he's not using swords?

No. You can still use A Cut Above with any weapon though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yinlock posted:

Yeah 8 in the postgame has some unique equipment that increases the chance of being targeted which combined with the soft targeting preference of being first and the general unkillability is useful

I mean I mopped up with hero/jade as the main physical damage output but 8 wasn't useless

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No. You can still use A Cut Above with any weapon though.

Blind Man’s Biff too, which specifically gets a substantial upgrade in the postgame and is hilarious with an ax

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finally getting cozy tonight and starting Act 2, I am terrified

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I've been following this IGN guide, and uh... what in the gently caress did they lead me into

Spoilers for Mt. Huji Act 2: Okay this dragon needs to calm the gently caress down and stop opening the battle by doing critical hits on folks or just roaring over half of the party in the first goddamn turn. Using Blunt/Kabuff doesn't seem to be doing much because he still deals a gently caress ton of damage. I'm at 45, but I don't have Erik/Serena/Veronica back. Uh, am I supposed to be here yet because this dragon is doing too much damage compared to anything I've fought before.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MechaX posted:

I've been following this IGN guide, and uh... what in the gently caress did they lead me into

Spoilers for Mt. Huji Act 2: Okay this dragon needs to calm the gently caress down and stop opening the battle by doing critical hits on folks or just roaring over half of the party in the first goddamn turn. Using Blunt/Kabuff doesn't seem to be doing much because he still deals a gently caress ton of damage. I'm at 45, but I don't have Erik/Serena/Veronica back. Uh, am I supposed to be here yet because this dragon is doing too much damage compared to anything I've fought before.

Three attacks per turn
Roll the motherfucking dice
Who tested this poo poo

alternate last line
Choke on your mother

I'd move on and gather your remaining party members because you will definitely need Veronica in there for her healing and buffs like Alma Mater / status immunity so the breath knockdown doesn't gently caress you.

But seriously, that boss is one of the hardest in the game and definitely a huge difficulty spike. Pray that Dazzle lands(fun fact: you can't refresh/extend the duration on Dazzle like other debuffs because gently caress you) and that he doesn't one shot someone on the first round. You can use Blunt too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Erik having Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito hair sure turned out to be apt. Oomphled, divide, victimizer is so incredibly powerful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MechaX posted:

You are not supposed to be there yet, no.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I have skill seeds... Im near the end of act 2. What do you guys think I should do with them?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Professor of Cats posted:

I have skill seeds... Im near the end of act 2. What do you guys think I should do with them?

Use them to hit thresholds for skills you want IMO. It’s not like strength where every little bit can help.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a mod on Nexus to make the bunny outfit more revealing, it's trash. However... the description of the mod is just sensational.

quote:

This mod is a Bunny Outfit replacement for Jade, providing a skimpier and much more assertive appearance. I personally thoroughly disliked the default version of the Bunny Outfit, to me it was hardly anything more than an uninspired cliché that was completely devoid of any fighting-spirit. My replacement offers a 'Bunnywoman' look (ie. reminiscent of Catwoman's overall assertiveness), for those who'd prefer having a wild (and obviously sexy) animal fighting among their party rather than a silly pin-up model that's considered trite since at least the late 50s.

And to those who complain that these revealing mods 'objectify' women, please understand that the default outfit was infinitely more objectifying than this mod actually is. The default version represents exactly what a bunch of unimaginative males typically come up with and impose when they wish to add a pretty little thing to the decor. The outfit offered in this mod is a lot more evocative of what a sexually assertive woman would wear of her own volition (and yes, those women actually really exist).

If the screenshots provided aren't illustrative enough, no proper nudity is offered with this mod, although you can barely spot Jade's nipples from the correct angle.

Also note that the face retexture shown in the previews (beauty spot + purple lipstick) is actually provided by my previous Jade Outfit - Sexy Lotus See-Through mod and isn't included in this one mod.

Hope you enjoy!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a mod on Nexus to make the bunny outfit more revealing, it's trash. However... the description of the mod is just sensational.

:lofty:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wow it doesn't say :females: once im impressed

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

how you gonna post this guy raving about how it's much less objectifying and better encapsulates jade's essence than the original and not post photos

because I bet it isn't and doesn't

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

how you gonna post this guy raving about how it's much less objectifying and better encapsulates jade's essence than the original and not post photos

because I bet it isn't and doesn't

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonquestxi/mods/31

NSFW so caution when clicking

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol did you see the one for that mentioned 'Lotus' mod?

quote:

Jade is at her very core a seductive woman who loves fighting with finesse... and what screams 'seductive' and 'finesse' more than sexy see-through lace?

This mod adds see-through bits to Jade's basic outfit, with a simple Lotus theme to match the elegance provided by the new black lace parts. And yes, this means that both her nipples and pussy are perceptible under the right source of light (Jade sports a sexy landing-strip, in case some of you were still wondering). A subtle face retexture is also included, which grants our favorite seductress an alluring beauty spot as well as slightly more pronounced purple-ish lipstick.

These retextures were first intended for personal use. My goal was to make Jade's outfit as provocative as possible without breaking immersion nor her overall character all that substantially. I'm quite satisfied with the results: while playing in-game, depending on the scene/lighting, her private parts can be either fully or barely visible (which required a lot of trial and error, but I finally achieved what I had in mind). The age-old dilemma now takes a completely new twist: Jade is either half-clothed or half-naked, depending on the situation and how you prefer to look at it for each scene that Dragon Quest XI unfolds before you.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RareAcumen posted:

Man, Erik having Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito hair sure turned out to be apt. Oomphled, divide, victimizer is so incredibly powerful.

Someone said ITT how he’s the only party member who isn’t nobility and who isn’t God-ordained... and he’s all the more powerful for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

He learns kaplunk, that means he is perfect B team material.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Welp, by the end of the weekend I’ll have achieved platinum in this game—my first ever. I haven’t been so driven to do everything in an RPG since FF7 when I was a kid. To me that speaks more about the quality of the game than anything else.

Definitely my GOTY.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SettingSun posted:

Welp, by the end of the weekend I’ll have achieved platinum in this game—my first ever. I haven’t been so driven to do everything in an RPG since FF7 when I was a kid. To me that speaks more about the quality of the game than anything else.

Definitely my GOTY.

I finally finished this game tonight. I dunno why everyone's like 'oh you're the Luminary you saved us all' when I killed Calasmos almost exclusively using the magic murder twins. I fired off Mighty Magic Burst and then fed Elfin Elixirs to my screaming child of doom a couple times so she could use regular plain ol' Magic Burst.

I know there's faster ways but eh. I've done everything I wanted to in this game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
“Personal use”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Steve Yun posted:

“Personal use”

:mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I didn't know Booga posted on the Nexus but in hindsight it should've been obvious