Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DancingShade posted:

ATH 900X's are still pretty good. Are you committed to tossing them out because it's simply time or would you consider sourcing replacement ear pads (original or 3rd party) if they were structurally okay and potentially worth saving?

I recently replaced the ear pads on them. I just assumed there were better headphones available these days but if not then I'll hang onto them for a while. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

On Terra Firma posted:

I recently replaced the ear pads on them. I just assumed there were better headphones available these days but if not then I'll hang onto them for a while. :)

For what you're using them for (especially movies and TV), I think the AD900X's are perfect. The usual other recommendations will just be if you want different tonality.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

Just go for House of Marley then. Anything cheap enough to be disposable.

If you're going "cheap enough to be disposable" you're going to do a lot better with some KZ ATE or ATR than those house of marley things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're going "cheap enough to be disposable" you're going to do a lot better with some KZ ATE or ATR than those house of marley things.

Yeah for real. The ATEs are pretty ok for the price.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Budget - Not much, like around the $20-$40 range.
Source - My phone mostly, if the wire is decently long, maybe even my PC.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation would be preferred.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I like it more over other types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - A nice balance would be fine as long as it still has some quality bass. I just don't want to listen to something that sounds tinny.
Preferred Music - Don't really have preferred music. I also listen to podcasts, youtube videos, streams.

Past Headphones - I had these as my last pair. cat destroyed them. They seemed pretty nice, I had no actual problems with them at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IV6AC98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a LG G7 Thinq with the OMG quad dac analog headphone output. Needless to say the reviews are right. The output on this phone can take the place of high end portable DACs. The output is sublime, powerful, detailed, etc. All those words. Highly recommended!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

Budget - Probably around 250-300

Source - PC. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus VIII which is a step up from just audio out.

Isolation - Won't matter much

Past Headphones - ATH 900x for the past 4 years. They're just getting old and gross.

Preferred Music - Mostly jazz and classical. Movies and TV too since I often stream stuff at my desk.

You can get some AD1000x in that price range off amazon but it'll probably be just more refined version of what you already have. Hard to go wrong with AT for your music genres.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Budget: 200ish
Source: PC and Phone
Isolation: Good to have but not a deal breaker
Preferred Type Of Headphone: OTE
Past Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Preferred music: Metal/Electro/Industrial/Synth but I will be using these for games and movies as well.

I've had my M50x's for about 3 years now and I think they are pretty fantastic but one of the arms is broken and it can be hard to get it to stay on my head and the earpads are getting pretty worn through. I honestly just thought about getting another set since I liked these so much but I want to ask what my options are in the 200 (give or take) dollar range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Probably simply another M50X.

But get your new one in one of those limited edition colors, like red or blue. That way it will seem like something completely new instead of a replacement. Think the prices are the same.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
LCDi4 b stock for $995

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcdi4-b-stock-sale

$2495 is price for non b stock

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
I've got a need for something discreet, so no wires, small and skin colored. A single bud is fine and it's probably better if they aren't super isolating.

My boss saw me listening to Car Talk and I work in a place lame enough for that to get me a talking to. I generally wear a hat that can cover my ears but sometimes it rides up. It doesn't need to get super loud and a few hours battery is fine, I'm just using it to listen to news or podcasts for a couple hours at work toward the end of the day.

Amazon has stuff around $20 that looks suitable but I'd go up to $100 if theres something good in that range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wastid posted:

I've got a need for something discreet, so no wires, small and skin colored. A single bud is fine and it's probably better if they aren't super isolating.

My boss saw me listening to Car Talk and I work in a place lame enough for that to get me a talking to. I generally wear a hat that can cover my ears but sometimes it rides up. It doesn't need to get super loud and a few hours battery is fine, I'm just using it to listen to news or podcasts for a couple hours at work toward the end of the day.

Amazon has stuff around $20 that looks suitable but I'd go up to $100 if theres something good in that range.

No specific suggestions but it sounds like you want a wireless "hearing aid" universal IEM at the bottom end of the price range. Check out whatever your local suppliers stock.

I kind of want to suggest something super obvious (hiding in plain sight) like a phone operator headset hooked up to a switch so you can flip between phone calls and personal audio but that might be a bit more involved.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

No specific suggestions but it sounds like you want a wireless "hearing aid" universal IEM at the bottom end of the price range. Check out whatever your local suppliers stock.

I kind of want to suggest something super obvious (hiding in plain sight) like a phone operator headset hooked up to a switch so you can flip between phone calls and personal audio but that might be a bit more involved.

Any bluetooth headset would do this connected to a phone. You know the kind that hang off one ear like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Or this kind of thing for stereo: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...+headset+stereo

The switching would happen with the phone it should just pause/mute the podcast if a call comes in.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Amazon has these HiFi Walker A7 IEMs on sale for $15 with the instant coupon, they're a good bargain if you're in need of a cheap IEM.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Any bluetooth headset would do this connected to a phone. You know the kind that hang off one ear like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Or this kind of thing for stereo: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...+headset+stereo

The switching would happen with the phone it should just pause/mute the podcast if a call comes in.

It gets a lot more complicated if the phone isn't a bluetooth smartphone but a wall socket landline from two decades ago or something running off a site wide VOIP, like a Cisco IP phone or whatever the configuration is.

It sounded like a work phone so if it's something running off RJ12 then a special amp will be needed, etc.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dizz posted:

Budget - Not much, like around the $20-$40 range.
Source - My phone mostly, if the wire is decently long, maybe even my PC.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation would be preferred.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I like it more over other types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - A nice balance would be fine as long as it still has some quality bass. I just don't want to listen to something that sounds tinny.
Preferred Music - Don't really have preferred music. I also listen to podcasts, youtube videos, streams.

Pretty the same requirements here, cheaper end of the range would be nice

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Farecoal posted:

Pretty the same requirements here, cheaper end of the range would be nice

Though a touch on the bassy side and they can have issues with driver flex if you have small ear canals, these: https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-iH...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Are astonishingly good IEMs. You can add a 3.5mm extension for extra length.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Budget - around $400 USD
Source - Phone
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear, with durable build quality, hate it when rubber cables start to coil into a helix
Preferred Tonal Balance - focus on vocals mainly, with enough bass and treble to notice the quieter instruments in the background.
Past Headphones - Gaming headsets and generic iPhone earbuds both of which I'm indifferent to
Preferred Music - Rap, Pop, Indie and House

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

grack posted:

Though a touch on the bassy side and they can have issues with driver flex if you have small ear canals, these: https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-iH...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Are astonishingly good IEMs. You can add a 3.5mm extension for extra length.

Alright, they look good! Thank you! What is driver flex, tho?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Khagan posted:

Budget - around $400 USD
Source - Phone
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear, with durable build quality, hate it when rubber cables start to coil into a helix
Preferred Tonal Balance - focus on vocals mainly, with enough bass and treble to notice the quieter instruments in the background.
Past Headphones - Gaming headsets and generic iPhone earbuds both of which I'm indifferent to
Preferred Music - Rap, Pop, Indie and House

Maybe consider Hifiman RE-600s (the non-balanced version of the RE-600). They have a beautiful sound with notably good mids, but generally great levels of detail, which seems to fit your requirements. They were $400 when they came out, but seem to available on Amazon now for $99, which is a superb price for them.

I found the cable on mine a bit stiff, but never so much that it was problematic and in any case in the V2 this seems to have been improved upon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Farecoal posted:

Alright, they look good! Thank you! What is driver flex, tho?

When you stick it in your ear the air pressure change causes the driver to move a bit. Makes a loud crackling noise. I've found that once they're in your ears it stops, though. I use them with foam tips on transit and it completely negates the issue. Of course since they're fulfilled by Amazon returns are super easy if it's really a problem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite IEMs can crackle when Im running. Im not sure if its wind hitting some port on them or the pressure change from my ear canal but its a little annoying

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have Monoprice M560 with the single 3.5 to dual 3.5 cord. Lately, if I plug the cord into the left side ear cup all the way the sound cuts out but if I pull it out a fraction of an inch it’s all good. Any ideas what this is indicative of? Using a different cord does not fix the issue.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

I have Monoprice M560 with the single 3.5 to dual 3.5 cord. Lately, if I plug the cord into the left side ear cup all the way the sound cuts out but if I pull it out a fraction of an inch it’s all good. Any ideas what this is indicative of? Using a different cord does not fix the issue.

As you've tried an alternate cable with no difference in outcome I'd say it's either the jack itself being damaged/wearing out or potentially the wire running from the jack to the driver.

Audio jacks do wear out over time and for that reason I tend to never remove cables unless I want to re-use the cable with another headphone.

If the cable can stay in place and your M560s function okay with your workaround I'd probably live with it, otherwise it's either warranty or soldering iron time.

On my original version M1060s I had frequent disconnect issues with the MMCX connectors but the fix there was some needle nose pliars and bending the cable connectors back and forth slightly to get a solid click.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 19, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Budget - $100
Source - Phone, bluetooth
Preferred Type of Headphone - On ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I really don't care
Past Headphones - https://www.amazon.com/Cootree-Blue...in%3A2266980011
Preferred Music - Podcasts mostly

So, I've been using several sets of the headphones in that link because I can't stand in-ear headphones or earbuds, and these are the only ones I've found comfortable. But the quality on those are all over the place. I had one set for that worked great for a year and then the connecting wire broke, another set i had for a year then they stopped powering on, had em RMA'd and the replacement I got won't pair automatically, I have to manually re-pair them every drat time. It's a pain in the rear end.

I can't for the life of me find heapdhones in a similar form factor that aren't cheap pieces of poo poo with garbage bluetooth. I will pay whatever for them within reason if they exist. I can't deal with cords cause I run like 15-20 miles a week and they drive me nuts.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Budget - $100
Source - Phone, bluetooth
Preferred Type of Headphone - On ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I really don't care
Past Headphones - https://www.amazon.com/Cootree-Blue...in%3A2266980011
Preferred Music - Podcasts mostly

So, I've been using several sets of the headphones in that link because I can't stand in-ear headphones or earbuds, and these are the only ones I've found comfortable. But the quality on those are all over the place. I had one set for that worked great for a year and then the connecting wire broke, another set i had for a year then they stopped powering on, had em RMA'd and the replacement I got won't pair automatically, I have to manually re-pair them every drat time. It's a pain in the rear end.

I can't for the life of me find heapdhones in a similar form factor that aren't cheap pieces of poo poo with garbage bluetooth. I will pay whatever for them within reason if they exist. I can't deal with cords cause I run like 15-20 miles a week and they drive me nuts.

I don't know if these will be too close to earbuds for you, but they're light and really sweat resistant, just generally good for working out. The back loop is a soft, flexible rubber, so they take abuse really well. Bluetooth is good.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-plantronics-backbeat-fit-refurbished

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know if these will be too close to earbuds for you, but they're light and really sweat resistant, just generally good for working out. The back loop is a soft, flexible rubber, so they take abuse really well. Bluetooth is good.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-plantronics-backbeat-fit-refurbished

I've tried those specific ones and they weren't comfortable. Anything getting into the inside of my ears like really bothers me.

Like I just basically want a regular speaker pointed into my ear, but sitting on the outside of my ears and not touching anything in there.

Has anyone ever tried bone conduction headphones? Are they crap?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 19, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Have you tried open headphones? Maybe the Bluetooth Porta pros or the grado gw 100 (I think $250 though). That's basically what you're describing

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've tried those specific ones and they weren't comfortable. Anything getting into the inside of my ears like really bothers me.

Like I just basically want a regular speaker pointed into my ear, but sitting on the outside of my ears and not touching anything in there.

Has anyone ever tried bone conduction headphones? Are they crap?

They are convenient and comfy enough, but don’t really sound good. More of a running headphone equivalent.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

Have you tried open headphones? Maybe the Bluetooth Porta pros

Gonna have to stop you right there because those are terrible loving headphones. I could have done a better job with an off-the-shelf bluetooth receiever and some tape. Portapros are great but nobody should ever spend $80 for a pair with a badly hacked-on wireless dongle cable embarrassment.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
There just aren't alot of open back Bluetooth headphones out there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ok this is going to sound kinda stupid but I think I want a desktop amp/dac just so I have a volume knob and I have a closer place to plug in my headphones. What's a good model to go with my he4xx

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

Ok this is going to sound kinda stupid but I think I want a desktop amp/dac just so I have a volume knob and I have a closer place to plug in my headphones. What's a good model to go with my he4xx

They sounded pretty good with my Schiit Jotunheim. Other dac/amps I'd consider but have never owned or listened to would be the Fostex HP-A4BL and the Burson Play. None of these are equally priced.

Or go all out and get that crazy IFI flagship model, the Pro iCan, for the price of a used car. It's some sort of solid state tube hybrid monstrosity with a delightful array of knobs and sockets on the front.

Or cancel your plans to buy that new car and get whatever Woo Audio are calling a flagship.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Or, and I'm just spitballing here, you could buy one that doesn't cost the same as a used car.

edit: schiit fulla 2, the monoprice desktop amp, micca origen.

edit2: better yet, this and a headphone extension cable.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 21, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yeah I ended up going for the monoprice amp. I've never had a standalone dac/amp before so I'm interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes, if at all

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Unsolicited opinion, however I have been pretty stoked on my Pioneer RAYZ lightning-equipped headphones for my iphone.

the noise cancelling is fantastic and the app lets you run an EQ and assign custom functions to the extra button on the inline remote. sound quality is fantastic with or without noice cancelling enabled. I havent tried any of the other features.

can recommend to iphone users! get the RAYZ+ if you need to charge/headphone at the same time.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My office has a dumb setup with speakers that you can't escape and a spotify playlist that everyone can submit to, but no one does, so we listen to the same like 4 hours of poo poo music over and over every day. I have earphones in and listen to my own music or youtube in the background, but sometimes I just have the earphones in with nothing actually playing in so I can work in relative silence (occasionally I'll even turn on white noise). I don't want to have to resort to big cans on my ears, I just need some earbuds that are exceptionally good at blocking out office music and are comfortable enough to wear for 8 hours. Is that even a thing or should I just get any ol' pair of earbuds on Amazon?

Budget: <$50
Source: Laptop
Isolation: Primary need
Preferred Type Of Headphone: Wired earbuds
Past Headphones: Yurbuds Venture Pro
Preferred music: Mostly used for streaming tv/youtube

Friend fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah I ended up going for the monoprice amp. I've never had a standalone dac/amp before so I'm interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes, if at all

I like mine a lot. It's been trooping along for 4 years now, and drives my old-rear end HD580s perfectly on high gain. Only problem is the knob had a QC issue where it sat too low on the pot and scratched the casing, so I jammed a bit of paper in there on day 1 and it hasn't been a problem since.

It even drives my modded T50RP mk3s, but only if I crank the poo poo out of it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Help!

Budget - Sub-$90
Source - PC, gaming mostly.
Isolation Requirements - Don't care
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-the-head
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure. I want to be able to hear bassy footsteps or the whiz of a bullet (ex. PUBG)
Preferred Music - Mostly listening to podcasts, but some bands I like:
Modest Mouse, Shakey Graves, Greta Van Fleet, Pendulum, Flaming Lips

Past Headphones - Platronics Gamecon: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...tronics+gamecon

These lasted me 3-5 years. 7.1 surround (once you fiddle with sound settings) and a mic.
I put'em on after a particularly hard day and the ear piece plastic simply snapped. On closer inspection, the other side is showing signs of strain as well. Farewell, headset, I'll miss ya.

I took a look at a logitec one on Amazon but they're prone to the same goddamn issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ35C1Q/ref=psdc_3015405011_t3_B00T0AHOT6

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like mine a lot. It's been trooping along for 4 years now, and drives my old-rear end HD580s perfectly on high gain. Only problem is the knob had a QC issue where it sat too low on the pot and scratched the casing, so I jammed a bit of paper in there on day 1 and it hasn't been a problem since.

It even drives my modded T50RP mk3s, but only if I crank the poo poo out of it.

i now have this amp and i am listening to "nuclear" by mike oldfield from the hit game metal gear solid v and i am literally hearing instruments that weren't there before so i'm pretty happy with my purchase right now. only thing i dont like is the eye-searing blue LED but that can be fixed with some electrical tape