Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

B. Pete needs time to work his magic. Plus if Treinen is having a monster year we can always back out and trade him in the offseason.

Get the right deal at the right time. B especially if we have to sell this year. If we are buying, we might just need to hold on to him another year. Especially if he isn't being paid what he's playing at. That is probably the smart move...

But drat do I hate paying relievers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Deadline sounds OK but I'll throw in a vote for A, I don't like aging relievers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Option A - never pay for relievers in OOTP

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

2020 NLDS: San Diego Padres vs Washington Nationals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

If we make the playoffs again, could you pad any results posts so that there are always a full series worth of links? That way the number of games doesn't act as a spoiler.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

If we make the playoffs again, could you pad any results posts so that there are always a full series worth of links? That way the number of games doesn't act as a spoiler.

Happy to, but how exactly do I do that?

Bad news about Treinen and Eovaldi, kid...everyone is smart to your game at this point. No one is in any hurry to offer up quality young arms for your elite soon to be free agents. You didn't get back any offers on a guy I rate more than 3.5 stars, and all of them are either not ML ready or already deep into arbitration..

What I can do for you though, is swap Dylan Cozens for a useful backfill for your bullpen. How about Durbin Feltman? He's a 23 year old righty for the Cards, 97 mph heater and an 80 curveball. Last year put up a 189 ERA+, with 110 K's in 68 IP. Best news, he's still pre-arbitration.

If he's too old for you, the Cards are also offering Andres Munoz. He has a 100 mph heater and he'll eventually have a 75 slider and a plus changeup, and he's almost certainly ready for the bigs at age 21. You might remember him...wesigned him as an IFA back in 2015, and he was part of the Justin Wilson re-acquisition back in 2019.

What do you guys think?

I'm leaning Munoz - he go hit hard in his ML debut last year but his stuff is lights the gently caress out and he's only 21.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/durbin-feltman-is-poised-to-move-quickly/

https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/video/1306552387872

https://theathletic.com/485972/2018...great-reliever/

lol I love looking up the IRL stuff on these guys

edit - That being said: the Cardinals are on board with both Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Michael Chavis. This is a "mash accept" trade, right?

edit 2 - we have our first award winner of any kind: Urias won a gold glove! except cozens won rookie of the year i guess, but that's a crap award

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 11, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Bad news about Treinen and Eovaldi, kid...everyone is smart to your game at this point. No one is in any hurry to offer up quality young arms for your elite soon to be free agents. You didn't get back any offers on a guy I rate more than 3.5 stars, and all of them are either not ML ready or already deep into arbitration..

Urias is 3*. Bradley is 3*. Cordoba is 2.5*. A 3.5* prospect (or two) sounds pretty nice. And we save 18m now that we can use in FA to a much bigger impact or to extend our guys.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I don't know anything about OOTP, but you could just fake the number of links like so:

bewbies posted:

2020 NLDS: San Diego Padres vs Washington Nationals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Even if the last link doesn't go anywhere, we wouldn't know until we click on it. And as long as you click on the links in order you can keep from getting spoiled.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

edit - That being said: the Cardinals are on board with both Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Michael Chavis. This is a "mash accept" trade, right?

I'm for it. Chavis is essentially dead weight and I'll miss Cozens' power but ARMS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't know anything about OOTP, but you could just fake the number of links like so:

Even if the last link doesn't go anywhere, we wouldn't know until we click on it. And as long as you click on the links in order you can keep from getting spoiled.

Will do and good idea!

Lucchesi extension is a DONE DEAL: 4 years, $24 million. This is a bit of a risk as he's coming off of a nasty shoulder injury, but these are the kinds of risks you have to take as a no-market team. If he gets back to where he was last season, that's a massive discount for us.

Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Chavis is a DONE DEAL. I also got a solid offer on Eovaldi: Jose Rances Suarez isn't our normal fireballing pitching prospect, but he has plus control on a 90-92 fastball and a plus plus changeup. He's a few years out from the bigs but might even work out as a starter someday.

We now have about $20m in cash to play with. There...isn't much on the market. We definitely need a left handed reliver, but other than that, it doesn't look to me like any free agents are any significant upgrades for us...unless we want to pay Trevor Bauer $35m to rehab a bad elbow this season. (I do not)

SO

VOTE

What do we want to do with our leftover cash?

We can:

A: blow it on an elite LHRP. Elite like, Britton, or Will Smith. They'll both take probably 3/50 or something like that. But...talk about a LOOGY...

B: buy out some more arbitration years. Mejia and Urias are the two obvious candidates. Basically, we'd be frontloading their cost a bit...instead of paying them $10+m three years from now (which will badly stretch our finances), we'd be paying them a couple extra mil this season when we can afford it, while taking on some risk that either wet farts out.

C: Dump it all into scouting and player development. The cupboard is definitely emptying, but we still have some quality prospects at the farm. Spending our extra cash in developing the next generation of guys once we inevitably lose some of our current cohort to free agency isn't a bad idea.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Will do and good idea!

Lucchesi extension is a DONE DEAL: 4 years, $24 million. This is a bit of a risk as he's coming off of a nasty shoulder injury, but these are the kinds of risks you have to take as a no-market team. If he gets back to where he was last season, that's a massive discount for us.

Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Chavis is a DONE DEAL. I also got a solid offer on Eovaldi: Jose Rances Suarez isn't our normal fireballing pitching prospect, but he has plus control on a 90-92 fastball and a plus plus changeup. He's a few years out from the bigs but might even work out as a starter someday.

We now have about $20m in cash to play with. There...isn't much on the market. We definitely need a left handed reliver, but other than that, it doesn't look to me like any free agents are any significant upgrades for us...unless we want to pay Trevor Bauer $35m to rehab a bad elbow this season. (I do not)

SO

VOTE

We can:

A: blow it on an elite LHRP. Elite like, Britton, or Will Smith. They'll both take probably 3/50 or something like that. But...talk about a LOOGY...

B: buy out some more arbitration years. Mejia and Urias are the two obvious candidates. Basically, we'd be frontloading their cost a bit...instead of paying them $10+m three years from now (which will badly stretch our finances), we'd be paying them a couple extra mil this season when we can afford it, while taking on some risk that either wet farts out.

C: Dump it all into scouting and player development. The cupboard is definitely emptying, but we still have some quality prospects at the farm. Spending our extra cash in developing the next generation of guys once we inevitably lose some of our current cohort to free agency isn't a bad idea.

Did we get a decent offer on Trenien as well or nah?

Anyway, for LHR you can probably find one for cheap with a little digging, unless they've vastly changed the game between this iteration and 18. I used to fill out my staff with minor league FAs or minimum-ish contract guys all the time.

e: oh, and do some combo of B and C

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 11, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bewbies posted:

Will do and good idea!

SO

VOTE

We can:

B. Keep the kids on board so they'll be established vets and local heroes to lead the new guys to come.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can we do a little of B and a little of C?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Yep, can do. We will target extensions for Mejia and Urias at a minimum, plus a cheap LHRP later in the offseason. Anything left over gets put into development and scouting.

...to that end...

Do we want to be HYPER AGGRESSIVE and try to extend one or more of our elite young players before arbitration? FTJ is the obvious possibility, but pretty much the entire outfield (Williams, Beer, Reynolds), Quantrill, Baez, and Wingenter. These contracts can vary wildly, BUT...say we get FTJ to agree to something like 10 year, 100m deal. Too aggressive? Too much risk? The cost savings could be huge down the line, but there's always the chance that it comes back to bite us.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd be very interested in seeing what extensions FTJ and Reynolds in particular would be willing to accept.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

B - Extend Our Starting Pitching

Specifically Baez and Quantril.

Buy out those arbitration years on the guys that are going to be our #3 and #4 for years to come! Who knows, they might even be our aces at some point.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Val Helmethead posted:

B - Extend Our Starting Pitching

Specifically Baez and Quantril.

Buy out those arbitration years on the guys that are going to be our #3 and #4 for years to come! Who knows, they might even be our aces at some point.

One second after signing, they both remove masks, revealing themselves to both be Homer Bailey

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FTJ is a loving star 3B. Lock him down. Ten years puts him at 31, and barring any massive injuries (like he literally dies) the savings on his absolutely best years will be significant. See what he'll take.

Put the rest of it into option C. We're trying to run a team that is (arguably) homegrown, and we need to keep that grist mill up if we're gonna do that. Especially when it comes to pitching.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

This is my choice too. See if we can extend some young guys for fair deals. Use the rest and throw it into scouting, maybe with a higher percentage going toward international to fill up our international facility with some young talent.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Sandman posted:

I admit to not knowing much about this particular game or the present state of baseball in general, but would it be worth it to kick some of that money into our backend stuff like development and coaching instead? It sounds like we already have a pretty solid roster and set of prospects, so why not polish them to a shine, especially if we can't afford any big deals anyway.

That definitely can help. I think it's just a matter of budget. If this were the Yankees with $350 million to play with, you can throw gobs of money into development and coaching.

I think one of the problems with the Padres and their cheap owner is that all these young guys will be making a lot of money in a few years. We're kind of lucky that so many are on their rookie scale deals. But once they hit arbitration, the payroll could explode, so using the money now to sure up team friendly deals saves money down the road.

There's no right answer though. Half the fun of this is we're dealing with a team that has big time budget constraints trying to compete against the Dodgers who don't. If we put money into one thing, it has to come from another.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day 2021

Offseason Notes

Mussina, Bonds, Clemens, and Halladay made the hall.

We extended FTJ to a 10 year, 150 million deal! This will give us a solid 5 years of him at probably a third of his market value, in exchange for fronting him about $30m during his team control years. Unfortunately this deal took all of what we had available for further extensions. Maybe next year we can lock down another young stud!

We got an offer for Luiz Gohara, a solid fastball/slider lefty that filled a nice hole in our bullpen. We gave Tommy Edman, our 3rd string middle infielder. Good deal.

We almost escaped ST without injury, but we're going to have to wait a bit to see Royce Lewis' debut after he strained an oblique.

We are predicted to go 109-53. Williams, Beer, Bradley, FTJ, and Reynolds all appear on the top 10 batters list, and Cole, Quantrill, and Lucchesi are on the top 10 pitchers list.

Opening day lineup:
Reynolds, CF
FTJ, 3B
Beer, RF
Bradley, 1B
Williams, LF
Mejia, C
Cordoba, SS
Urias, 2B

Opening day rotation:
Cole
Quantrill
Baez
Lucchesi
Gore

Opening day bullpen:
Wilson (CL)
Wingenter
Treinen
Feltman
Munoz
Wick
Hudson (LR)
Gohara (LOOGY)

Royce should be back by May. Kicked about $20m into development and scouting, so that's hopefully money well spent. We still have the #1 farm, but we'll be graduating two more top prospects this year. Marco Luciano will be our only remaining top 10 guy...and we need to start thinking about what we want to do with him. He's developed into a shortstop with an elite glove and above average contact and power, and he could be ready for the bigs next year. We could start grooming Royce for another position (he'd probably be an elite OF or 2B), or start grooming Luciano for a position change (he'd be a dominant 3B or 2B), or try and swap him for another top prospect.

I'll run through the ASB and upload later tonite.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
All Star Break 2021

69-26, .726. 1st place, NL West

Team is firing on all cylinders. 1st in the NL in runs scored, and 1st in runs allowed. Best starters and relievers in the NL, and best OBP.

The kids have hit the big time. FTJ, Beer, Williams, Mejia, and Reynolds are all having superstar seasons, as are both Quantrill and Baez.

We definitely waited too long on Treinen - he was getting hit hard. An offer came in for him and we jumped on it...even though it was to the Dodgers. In exchange, we got Jeans Garcia, a nice looking 1B prospect in A ball. Ol' Pete gives him a 65 power and 80 discipline, so he could be a simple replacement for Bradley at 1B in a couple of years.

With a late pick in a crappy draft we took Vinny Tosti, a glove-first outfielder who might eventually fit in as a 4th guy.

The international FA class was more interesting...we spent our entire $5.2m wad on Sergio Morales, a corner bat prospect with a ton of upside.

VOTE

We're already running into some cash problems, even with all these guys still in pre-arb. Looking at where to trim: we could trade Allen Cordoba...Royce looks perfectly comfortable in the bigs and he's going to pull $7m+ in arbitration. We might also consider trading Fransico Mejia...which sucks, as he's a fantastic catcher, but he's going to be due $5m+ and we just can't afford a whole lot more in salary even though that's a massive discount on his free market value. Finally, Gerrit Cole might be the way to go...Lucchesi has been nearly as good, and he's currently working out of the pen for a third of the money. If we trade him for a non-contract prospect, we could probably lock down Mejia and maybe Quantrill.

Do we:

A - Trade one or more of these guys now, and try and buy out a young star player's arbitration years? The longer they play, the more their arb value goes up, and the more expensive an extension would be

B - Look to offload at the end of the season. Why rock the boat when we're winning almost three quarters of our games?

Finally, we need to make some decisions about extending personnel. AJ Preller (asst GM), Andy Green (manager), and Ramon Vazquez (bench coach) are all up at the end of the year. Vazquez I think is a no brainer, but I'm not convinced we NEED an assistant GM. Meanwhile, Andy Green wants a good chunk of money - $1.8m per year.

Upload should be complete shortly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lose whoever it takes whenever it takes to make the money work for Meija, even if we're poor $5m is way too low to get worked up about for a great catcher.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It depends on the returns, but all else being equal I'd say get rid of Cordoba.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lose whoever it takes whenever it takes to make the money work for Meija, even if we're poor $5m is way too low to get worked up about for a great catcher.

This. Mejia is a franchise cornerstone. We keep him as much as humanly possible.

What kind of offers could we get for Cole? Sucks to lose a top of the rotation guy, but the rest of the rotation is still nails and our top pitching prospect is doing well enough in AAA right now that I think he could slot in without blowing up.

e. Assuming Espinoza is a starter, of course. The site is loving up and directing me to a completely different player when I click on his name so I don't know what his stamina is.

double e. Wait how long have we had Tebow in the minors?!

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2018

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Do we have an option to extort more money out of the owner instead?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Absolutely this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All aboard the Mejia train

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Don't Rock The Boat We can worry about it in November when our boys are off golfing. We definately don't want to lose any of our starting pitching, though ditching Cole at the end of the year might be okay.

THIS IS OUR YEAR. .726 RECORD! LET'S WIN THE PENNANT!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

double e. Wait how long have we had Tebow in the minors?!

hahahahaha I didn't even notice this.

I think we have our september callup. he slashed 091/167/091 in AAA, he's ready for the bigs i think. "probably overmatched at double A" my rear end

I will shop both Cole and Cordoba and we can make a decision about what to do with them when we see the possible returns.

also take a look at Mike Trout's first half, god drat

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 12, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

also take a look at Mike Trout's first half, god drat

Jeeeeesus.

Also holy moly we have the entire starting outfield for the NL

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where's the link for this? I'm not seeing it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Where's the link for this? I'm not seeing it.

Here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JESUS loving CHRIST :stare:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST :stare:

We're so loving good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

We're so loving good.

I know but Trout, good gods.

Last season he had a higher OPS but got hurt at the start.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bryce harper meanwhile has settled fairly nicely into the realm of "alright, i guess"

http://www.cowace2.com/OOTP/OOTP/players/player_30058.html

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Bryce harper meanwhile has settled fairly nicely into the realm of "alright, i guess"

So just like real life

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao at Trout being woth 7.1 WAR at the ASB.

bewbies posted:

The OBP is a touch low but otherwise that's basically who Harper has been this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Here's what I got for you, kid.

The Cubs are all in on Cole. They're offering two blue chip prospects: Nelson Velazquez and Matthew Lugo. Velazquez is a 4.5 star corner OF with 70 power and a great glove. He's probably borderline ML-ready right now and should be a perennial 850-900 OPS hitter soon. Lugo is a 4.5 star 2B with a plus glove, good speed, and .800+ OPS potential. He's probably at least 2 years from the show.

There were other interesting offers, but this one was by far the best. There's no guarantee that the Cubs still have it on the table after the season, so if you want to do it, do it now.

As for Cordoba, the most interesting guy he brought back is a 21 year old 1B named Xavier Carter. He isn't really anything special...except he has 75 power, and he's been OPSing 1.454 in rookie ball. He's a way off from the bigs, but he could backfill for Bradley someday.

Altogether that takes almost $30m off the books for next year...should be enough to get Mejia and at least one other player (Quantrill?) bought out through arbitration.

VOTE

Do we:

A - Pull the trigger on either of these trades? The big decision is Cole of course...that's a heck of a package, and we can backfill for him quite well, with Lucchesi moving into the rotation and plenty of firepower left in AAA..but we'll lose a popular, elite player midway through a very good season, to a potential playoff rival.

B - Wait until the end of the year. The returns won't be nearly as good for either player, but our roster will (probably) be stronger for this season's playoffs.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 12, 2018

• Locked thread