Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sockser posted:

The awful app is the solitary app that I know that lets you change the icon

And I loving love it and wish more apps did this

I think some sports news apps let you change it to a team's logo

a feature that nobody uses that probably cost millions in licensing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

If it's a sports app it's probably safe to assume they've already paid for that licensing

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Regular Nintendo posted:

If it's the league's own app would they even need to pay for the licensing?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think they're talking about an app for like, ESPN, that allows you to set the icon to whatever team you're into

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apollo lets you change the icon if you get the DLC. Twitteriffic does, as well, and I think Tweetbot might.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The MLB At Bat app lets you select a team logo, and the official Ballpark app lets you select a stadium logo. But as mentioned, the league owns the rights to those logos so there's no additional cost to them.

I also have a puzzle game app that switched to a new icon but kept the old one as an option

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m not sure what changed but I can’t click links anymore.

This is on my phone and iPad. I can hold it down and select open in safari but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Endless Mike posted:

Apollo lets you change the icon if you get the DLC. Twitteriffic does, as well, and I think Tweetbot might.

Sure but I would argue that Awful has the best selection of icons.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Also on a serious note I just upgraded to an XS Max and the alternate theme with night mode looks fantastic on this display.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The post here (above mine about dithering) doesn’t show the poster’s name.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796985&perpage=40&pagenumber=43#post488883297

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Any chance the issues with posting pics from the app is going to get fixed anytime soon. I haven’t been able to post pics in months. Tried posting to Imgur first and copying the link and it still never works.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Any chance the issues with posting pics from the app is going to get fixed anytime soon. I haven’t been able to post pics in months. Tried posting to Imgur first and copying the link and it still never works.

copy the image itself from your camera roll, then in the app open up the copy/paste popover menu, pick [img] and then Paste

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are you on iOS? If so you’ll need to make a shortcut to do it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Not the awful app, but just recently the setting to link a picture in text messages changed, now it opens the camera to take a fresh pic, i used to be able to see my library first. Is there a way to revert that option?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Regular Nintendo posted:

copy the image itself from your camera roll, then in the app open up the copy/paste popover menu, pick [img] and then Paste

This works for me 100% of the time

Need platinum but it works

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Regular Nintendo posted:

Keith Atherton posted:

Thanks for this. I didn’t think to try the easy solution!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

If I filter a thread by someone's posts, and then use the bottom menu and select "Last Post", I should end up on that user's last post on the thread, or art least on their last page of posts, but instead it removes the filter, and I get taken to the last page in the thread.
I know you said you're working on this, but:
It's not clear how to escape this mode. If I use the above method, pull to refresh loads my posts again.
Just now I filtered by my posts in this thread, did a fast scroll to the bottom, and I think it loaded some of the posts in the leper's colony theme? It didn't look like yospos and I don't know the last time I loaded any gassed threads on my phone, so I don't think it's a cache thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The imgur link you get in a browser URL field is will only go to its page on their site. In Safari anyway you can press and hold on the image once it's uploaded and choose Copy from the menu, which will put the actual image URL on your clipboard.

E.g.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I REALLY don’t want to be “that one fucker”, but “filter by tab” is still broken.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Data Graham posted:

I apologize if this is already well known (I've only been following the last few pages), but what's up with Twitter embeds lately?

1) Videos don't play; you can tap to "activate" a video, but then it never starts playing

2) Some tweets have this blue quoted subtweet attached to them, and the formatting is all weird, with blue checks misaligned and the blue text sometimes getting partially cut off (can't find an example of the latter just now):

3) Tweets with images sometimes squash them to the wrong proportions (I think if they're taller than a certain threshold):

The video thing is known and recorded, but I don't think I'd added the other two to the list (despite noticing them myself), so they're there now!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Also Pokeyman thanks for picking up on the new grey bar issue. I reinstalled this morning on the off chance that might fix it and it was fine right up until I selected a new app icon, at which point it froze. When I force quit and restarted, the grey bar was there.

I'm on a new install again and it hasn't come back yet.

That'll make reproducing that much easier, thanks!

MarcusSA posted:

Last thing and a slight request but would it be possible to add a rotation lock to the app? Sometimes when I’m reading in bed it will rotate on me and it’s mildly annoying.

It's a good idea and it's on the list!

The Dave posted:

Gonna hop on my design box:

I think adding stuff like that, when it's easily accessible through the iOS control panel, only puts Awful in a worse place of bloat. It would be better to get into the habit of toggling it at the OS level and building up that muscle memory to make it feel seamless.

Normally I'm right there with you, but I feel for the "reading in bed" thing.

The other orientation-related feature request on the books is to allow portrait-upside-down on iPhone. That one probably should be a setting as it goes against the system to allow it by default.

(This is usually when I start having flashbacks to getting the fifteenth consecutive "so when I rotate then show this screen then rotate again then dismiss the thing gets stuck??" issue reported by QA. Orientation on iOS is hosed.)

Diabolik900 posted:

Pokeyman and any of the other developers - I've pushed an increased the pull for next page threshold to the repo. It feels good to me, but I'd like to get some more opinions.

I'll make a beta with it. Just two weeks after you push the commit! Where's my maintainer-of-the-month award.

Data Graham posted:

I feel like it should only take effect if you're at the bottom of the page and not currently scrolling. How hard would that be to detect and implement?

My only problem with pull-for-next-page is when I'm cruising down to the bottom of the page and accidentally swipe up because I either still have scroll momentum going or I'm on autopilot and hit the bottom half a second ago.

This is definitely part of it, and it's not terribly hard, it just needs to get done.

got any sevens posted:

Does the smilie window start showing extra smilies for anyone else

Makes it kinda laggy and you gotta scroll extra to find the smilie you want
:shuckyes:

Yep :( it's on the list.

jackhunter64 posted:

Please call this the 'fishmech filter' when implemented.

Not this fishmech fan!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just an update to help Pokeyman track the issue - the grey bar hasn't come back since I reinstalled without changing the icon.

Come to think of it, the bottom grey bar I was getting in my old 8 was on an app with a changed icon too. The issues might be linked?

Could be linked yeah. Thanks for the update, every bit helps figure out wtf is going on.

The Dave posted:

Oh I think you’re totally justified and I actually spend a lot of my day job now making sure components follow good accessibility guidelines.

I also didn’t even have the foresight to think you were in the light theme because I’m exclusively dark. There’s no good reason it can’t be like #767676 which I think is the lightest you can go and still be AA compliant.

That color is sitting in some inscrutable plist somewhere, if anyone's feeling intrepid.

Sockser posted:

The awful app is the solitary app that I know that lets you change the icon

And I loving love it and wish more apps did this

I'm with you, it's weird how few apps bother. I realize making a decent app icon takes time and effort, but imo it's totally worth it. Great place to put the concepts that you didn't end up going with, or just do something goofy you couldn't get away with as the default.

PCalc has like dozens of icons iirc. But it's the exception.

Regular Nintendo posted:

I'm guessing it was the MLB At Bat team saying "hey this would be cool" and pschiller going "k".

MarcusSA posted:

This is on my phone and iPad. I can hold it down and select open in safari but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

This happens to me from time to time (and I haven't figured out wtf is going on), but it's usually temporary. Sometimes even works on some links on the page but not others. Is it a permanent thing for you?

BromanderData posted:

Sure but I would argue that Awful has the best selection of icons.

Agreed, nice work spanky!

Seems to work for me? Is it still broken?

I know it sucks :( I really do want to get around to it.

Keith Atherton posted:

Shouldn't need platinum, it's still uploading to Imgur. But I could totally believe that it works when other methods don't, as it's getting the image data into the app using a different path.

anthonypants posted:

I know you said you're working on this, but:
It's not clear how to escape this mode. If I use the above method, pull to refresh loads my posts again.
Just now I filtered by my posts in this thread, did a fast scroll to the bottom, and I think it loaded some of the posts in the leper's colony theme? It didn't look like yospos and I don't know the last time I loaded any gassed threads on my phone, so I don't think it's a cache thing.

That's pretty freaky.

And I agree, it's not remotely clear wtf is going on and how to get out. I don't want to make a glowing nav bar but whatever's just short of that to say "hey you're not really viewing a thread here bucko".

The man called M posted:

I REALLY don’t want to be “that one fucker”, but “filter by tab” is still broken.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Graves > Awful app for iOS: that one fucker

(I know, sorry :( it's on the list!)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poster name is displaying now so :iiam:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I'll make a beta with it. Just two weeks after you push the commit! Where's my maintainer-of-the-month award.

I know how it is. I figured out an issue with it that could be improved about two hours after the commit, and I still haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pokeyman posted:

This happens to me from time to time (and I haven't figured out wtf is going on), but it's usually temporary. Sometimes even works on some links on the page but not others. Is it a permanent thing for you?

I have seen this far, far less in the most recent 3 betas, but before that I was seeing two different types of this

1. No links work, app crashes soon after

2. Some links work (actually, all links 'work' but they're not where they should be, if you click around the space that shouldn't be links enough you may find your intended destination)

I thought they were both the same as the display entirely breaking for portions of pages issue, because they would often accompany that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have seen this far, far less in the most recent 3 betas, but before that I was seeing two different types of this

1. No links work, app crashes soon after

2. Some links work (actually, all links 'work' but they're not where they should be, if you click around the space that shouldn't be links enough you may find your intended destination)

I thought they were both the same as the display entirely breaking for portions of pages issue, because they would often accompany that

Yeah it seems to fix itself? Like holding on the link brings up the options to open in safari or whatever but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

Not a huge deal just kinda weird.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for the kind icon feedback!

The pull for next page seems better than before on the Xs. Once triggered though it takes a lot of movement back up the page to disable the trigger, if that makes sense.

Also, is it possible to give a haptic mini vibration on trigger? That would really level it up.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I’m seeing this as well. Any link clicked just goes to a white screen and I have to kill Awful to get back. If there’s anything I can do to help reproduce, I’m happy to help.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it seems to fix itself? Like holding on the link brings up the options to open in safari or whatever but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

Not a huge deal just kinda weird.

TBH if the long press menu had an “Open” entry to just do the default action (internal browser for me), I wouldn’t mind the dead-link situation very much at all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having the app on in the background (on the bookmarks page) and accessing it makes all the threads on it unresponsive. I can still scroll the list but tapping on the threads does nothing. Restarting fixes it. Might have something to do with the app being on for extended periods of time but I can't confirm that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

Having the app on in the background (on the bookmarks page) and accessing it makes all the threads on it unresponsive. I can still scroll the list but tapping on the threads does nothing. Restarting fixes it. Might have something to do with the app being on for extended periods of time but I can't confirm that.

Are you on the public release or the beta? I used to get that, but haven’t in a while with the latest betas.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Are you on the public release or the beta? I used to get that, but haven’t in a while with the latest betas.

I'm on the latest app store version, I've had it here and there over the past couple of years but it still happens occasionally. I haven't really been able to nail down a specific reason for it occurring though. If it's sorted then a-ok, I was just wondering why it happens in the first place and whether it's just because I have the app on in the background pretty much 24-7.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Regular Nintendo posted:

appreciated

also tinder lets you change the app icon when you give them money for the premium features. It’s gold, pretty baller way to show off you are high roller who is serious about not dying alone / working on a strong series of meaningless flings

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don’t know about you but pull to refresh is drat near impossible to do now. Definitely won’t happen by accident, but I can barely make it happen on purpose either.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stare-Out posted:

I don’t know about you but pull to refresh is drat near impossible to do now. Definitely won’t happen by accident, but I can barely make it happen on purpose either.

agreed, the threshold is way too high now. maybe make it configurable if some people really want to have to drag their finger literally all the way up the screen instead of just flicking?

e: seriously I can barely get it to change page even if I start right at the bottom of the screen and swipe right to the top. doing it one handed is basically impossible. Please revert ASAP.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 27, 2018

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, sorry, that's on me. So when I posted this:

quote:

I figured out an issue with it that could be improved about two hours after the commit, and I still haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it.

I was referring to the fact that the current distance seems to be somewhat dependent on the length of the page you're on, and as a result can be waaaaay too far a lot of the time.

I always intended to fix that, but I'd been lazy and I didn't realize until right now that Pokeyman had released the change on the App Store. I'll try to make a fix today, and hopefully Pokeyman can release it before too long.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I still think there's a bug here we haven't caught yet. Before the latest change, sometimes on my XS Max I would notice it had a hair trigger, like it was already half-way through the threshold the moment I started the pull. Other times it seemed normal, but I couldn't figure out a pattern so I had no ideas on what to do to fix it.

I also wonder if it's screen size dependent. Did someone test the new values on both an SE and XS Max?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

I still think there's a bug here we haven't caught yet. Before the latest change, sometimes on my XS Max I would notice it had a hair trigger, like it was already half-way through the threshold the moment I started the pull. Other times it seemed normal, but I couldn't figure out a pattern so I had no ideas on what to do to fix it.

I figured something out that might be what you're noticing. If you're on a page where the content doesn't fill the whole screen (like say there's only one short post showing) you have to pull a lot further to trigger it. The latest version makes that way worse since I increased the distance you have to pull across the board.

carry on then posted:

I also wonder if it's screen size dependent. Did someone test the new values on both an SE and XS Max?

I don't have any actual devices to test on besides a X, but I played with it this morning at SE size in the simulator, and I do think that makes a difference.

I pushed a change to the repo that I think should address both issues.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
On my X:

Not far enough down to refresh

The refresh has been triggered

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Spitballing, but would it be possible to have the value close to the old one, nearly as sensitive but have a delay until it triggers the refresh/next page? That would eliminate doing it accidentally while scrolling, and have it be comfortable to trigger.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that was what I was suggesting. Have it so it has to be at least 500ms after scrolling comes to a stop before pulling triggers a next-page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Even just "not the same motion as the one that reached the end of the scroll" would be enough I think, whatever the timing.