Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/12/12th-oct-kill-team-chaos-commandersgw-homepage-post-3/

Chaos Commanders is up!

Edit: I can't make u my mind about all these spoilers. The 3" auras are cool, but if you're within 2" of each other then you're opening yourself up to ranged attacks targeting multiple dudes.

Obviously 3 > 2 so you've got some wiggle room, but it sounds like it will be tough to use a lot of these.

Tallyman gonna be real good. Wonder what he'll cost :stare:

Double Edit: Uhhh Blight Racks can be used in the Fight Phase. How are you throwing grenades in the Fight Phase...?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

So last weekend our crew all got together at BuffaloChicken's Place for a big game of Apocalypse to end the campaign we started running in February. Unlike most games of Apocalypse, this one was actually fun as hell. Check out my post on Goonhammer to read about how we finished up 5 turns of a 5-side, 27,000-point game in 8 hours and had fun doing it:
http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/the-paulus-campaign-apocalypse/

Carnifexes shredding ANAmal.net's dumbass Deathwing Terminators!

...all this and much more!

So, first of all, this game loving ruled, and if you expand the next campaign into the MD/DC Ham Slam Crew, I'm totally into it. Highly recommend everyone smash that mf link and read about me getting owned.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Sab669 posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/12/12th-oct-kill-team-chaos-commandersgw-homepage-post-3/

Chaos Commanders is up!

Edit: I can't make u my mind about all these spoilers. The 3" auras are cool, but if you're within 2" of each other then you're opening yourself up to ranged attacks targeting multiple dudes.

Obviously 3 > 2 so you've got some wiggle room, but it sounds like it will be tough to use a lot of these.

Tallyman gonna be real good. Wonder what he'll cost :stare:

Double Edit: Uhhh Blight Racks can be used in the Fight Phase. How are you throwing grenades in the Fight Phase...?

drat. Flying HQs for TS!

Does anyone know if Commanders were confirmed to be narrative only, or just not allowed in matched play? (and if that last distinction means anything)

TheChirurgeon posted:

So last weekend our crew all got together at BuffaloChicken's Place for a big game of Apocalypse to end the campaign we started running in February. Unlike most games of Apocalypse, this one was actually fun as hell. Check out my post on Goonhammer to read about how we finished up 5 turns of a 5-side, 27,000-point game in 8 hours and had fun doing it:
http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/the-paulus-campaign-apocalypse/

...all this and much more!

Also seconding this BatRep being amazing.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 12, 2018

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Death guard get as many commanders as the other chaos factions combined, and their commanders have more abilities.

Top faction gets a commander throwing D6/S5/D3 grenades which do mortals on a 6 and reroll 1s.

Heretics don't even get new sculpts.

Is Matt Ward writing kill team rules now?

evol262 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 12, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

evol262 posted:

Death guard get as many commanders as the other chaos factions combined, and their commanders have more abilities.

Top faction gets a commander throwing D6/S8/D4 grenades which do mortals on a 6 and reroll 1s.

DG are a popular new army with a billion models people wanna use in kill team, and no one got new sculpts for anything.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mango sentinel posted:

DG are a popular new army with a billion models people wanna use in kill team, and no one got new sculpts for anything.

Yes and yes, but the rumor is that chaos finally gets new sculpts in Blackstone Fortress, and we might see them in the kill team spoiler. Guess not.

DG are incredibly popular with a billion models, and I don't mind playing against them, it just seems silly that GW didn't use an expansion to level things out a little.

They can still be a popular army with models people wanna use even if other factions are brought up a little, can't they?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Sab669 posted:

Smashing bottles over your enemies' heads.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Balloon fight with jenkum.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
It makes sense they want to get those character models out an sold an its all so new it makes sense to push them rather than old models they may ax at some point.

Insert joke about Abbadons model age here.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
That's true. It's more salt from me that we still have to wait for Blackstone to maybe get new sculpts, because they're either not ready yet or aren't even happening

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I can see them at somepoint sooner than later. I can still see chaos primaris happening in some form. It'd come with a new codex first but we got new ork so so anything is possible. :)

I mean sisters getting a new model line is no longer a punch line there are great things happening.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

evol262 posted:

Top faction gets a commander throwing D6/S5/D3 grenades which do mortals on a 6 and reroll 1s.

Pretty sure you only get to throw one blighy grenade per overwatch/shooting phase.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

Pretty sure you only get to throw one blighy grenade per overwatch/shooting phase.

Page 30 posted:

GRENADE Grenades are handheld explosive devices that a warrior throws at the enemy while their squad mates provide covering fire. A model in your kill team armed with a Grenade weapon may fire it in Overwatch or in the Shooting phase. If they do so, they cannot fire any other weapons that phase, and no other model in your kill team can fire a Grenade weapon that phase.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I want to like KT but it's just not grabbing me. Like 40K, it feels like it favours shooty teams a lot more than assaulty ones. That I can get overwatched by everyone within an inch of my target, die/fail the charge, charge them with someone else which lets them shoot again, repeat until I get there or run out of options, then have them shoot again in the shooting phase if I didn't get there, is a bit much. Especially since anyone can lol nope out of close combat at the beginning of the new turn, leaving my dude with the option to either stay put or fall back, which at best takes me out of the action for a turn and at worst leaves me a sitting duck.

It also feels real swingy (which I get that some will like), and the fiddly/complex bits don't feel like they add much to the diversity/uniqueness of the teams, which is where I'd expect complexity in a squad-based game.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Yeah like I said. Nothing too op.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 1 guy you charge can only Overwatch on a 6. Then he still needs to wound and you still get any Saves. Given I play Death Guard but I'm not sure I agree about it favoring Ranged. If you're charging someone who makes D6 attacks then yea it can be tough. But...

And if they do Fall Back in the next movement Phase they can't go that far so you can easily just re-Charge. Also they can't fire Overwatch, AND they can't even shoot later unless they have Fly when they Fall Back.

Also if you make your first Charge that charged model can't keep firing Overwatch, if I interpret your complaint correctly?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

The 1 guy you charge can only Overwatch on a 6. Then he still needs to wound and you still get any Saves. Given I play Death Guard but I'm not sure I agree about it favoring Ranged. If you're charging someone who makes D6 attacks then yea it can be tough. But...

And if they do Fall Back in the next movement Phase they can't go that far so you can easily just re-Charge. Also they can't fire Overwatch, AND they can't even shoot later unless they have Fly when they Fall Back.

Also if you make your first Charge that charged model can't keep firing Overwatch, if I interpret your complaint correctly?

These are all good points,. Still, there's room in the rules for "free strikes" against models fleeing close combat.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
They posted lore about Speed Freaks: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/12/what-is-the-speedwaaagh/

Still no release date. Presumably it'll be the 27th for both the box and the codex.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The rule doesn't make any sense as-is. They'll almost definitely get a tactic like they already have in normal 40k to let a bunch of marines throw grenades (TT is overwatch, but I'm not sure what they'll do for KT). Still not OP, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

spacegoat posted:

I want to like KT but it's just not grabbing me. Like 40K, it feels like it favours shooty teams a lot more than assaulty ones. That I can get overwatched by everyone within an inch of my target, die/fail the charge, charge them with someone else which lets them shoot again, repeat until I get there or run out of options, then have them shoot again in the shooting phase if I didn't get there, is a bit much. Especially since anyone can lol nope out of close combat at the beginning of the new turn, leaving my dude with the option to either stay put or fall back, which at best takes me out of the action for a turn and at worst leaves me a sitting duck.
Overwatch is once per model.

IMO, KT would benefit a lot from something like Infinity's F2F system or even AROs. I know everyone hates opposed rolls, and I think the alternating activation+CP for "decisive foo" evens it out somewhat, but "my dude with a frag cannon is gonna run in front of your whole team to blap something and you can't do anything about it" definitely makes it feel swingy.

I play Drukhari, and a "reactive" phase would neuter a dark lance with Fire & Fade, but maybe it'd feel less alpha. I dunno. It's an evolving system. For now, it is what it is.

Sab669 posted:

You can't re-charge. If your model started the movement phase within 1", all it can do is stand there or fall back.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

evol262 posted:

Overwatch is once per model.

"Overwatch is a special type of shootign attack that is described on page 31. A target model can potential fire Overwatch several times in a battle round." - page 23.

So you charge, he overwatches. You fail your roll. You charge with someone else, he can still overwatch

evol262 posted:

You can't re-charge. If your model started the movement phase within 1", all it can do is stand there or fall back.

You're right that if you have Initiative to go first and want to stay in melee there's nothing you can do, which is actually really bogus now that I'm aware of it :) But if they go first and Fall Back, you should be able to Charge again:

"When you pick a model to move, if it is not within 1" of an enemy model and is within 12 of an enemy model ..." (also p23)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sab669 posted:

"Overwatch is a special type of shootign attack that is described on page 31. A target model can potential fire Overwatch several times in a battle round." - page 23.

So you charge, he overwatches. You fail your roll. You charge with someone else, he can still overwatch

Learned something new. I figured this worked the same way as 40k.

Sab669 posted:

You're right that if you have Initiative to go first and want to stay in melee there's nothing you can do, which is actually really bogus now that I'm aware of it :) But if they go first and Fall Back, you should be able to Charge again:

"When you pick a model to move, if it is not within 1" of an enemy model and is within 12 of an enemy model ..." (also p23)
This is covered on p22

"When you pick a model to move, if that model started the Movement phase within 1" of an enemy model, it cannot make a normal move. Instead, it can either remain stationary or Fall Back"

AFAICT, this supercedes the other rule, since charging includes "instead of making a normal move", which you can't, which makes it extra trash for melee armies, especially assaulting stealth suits and other flyers, since if they fall back you're dead in the water assuming there's no cover you can fall back to, as that's your only available option.

E: this is also specifically covered by the FAQ, it looks like

evol262 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 12, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Thanks for pointing that out. It's an easy point to miss (because it's stupid) but it can have a big effect.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Harkano posted:

Does anyone know if Commanders were confirmed to be narrative only, or just not allowed in matched play? (and if that last distinction means anything)

Commanders can be used in missions that state that commanders can (or must) be used. Some of these are matched play, some are narrative. The only distinction between Narrative and Match Play is the missions themselves and that in the case of the former, they are asymmetrical.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Blackstone Fortress going to be the new starter box?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Blackstone Fortress going to be the new starter box?

I think it's supposed to be like Silver Tower in that it is explicitly a board game and you're gonna get a grab bag of many different models instead of building blocks of an army.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

evol262 posted:

Learned something new. I figured this worked the same way as 40k.

This is covered on p22

"When you pick a model to move, if that model started the Movement phase within 1" of an enemy model, it cannot make a normal move. Instead, it can either remain stationary or Fall Back"

AFAICT, this supercedes the other rule, since charging includes "instead of making a normal move", which you can't, which makes it extra trash for melee armies, especially assaulting stealth suits and other flyers, since if they fall back you're dead in the water assuming there's no cover you can fall back to, as that's your only available option.

E: this is also specifically covered by the FAQ, it looks like

Does this means that, unless you opponent wants to stay in melee, each model you have will only be in melee range every other round?

For example, you charge in, they're locked in place that round and you get one round of melee attacks. The next round they can Fall Back and the best you can do is Ready and charge again the following round?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mango sentinel posted:

I think it's supposed to be like Silver Tower in that it is explicitly a board game and you're gonna get a grab bag of many different models instead of building blocks of an army.

that sounds cool

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

At the same time it would basically cause an endless cycles of charge > fall back > charge > fall back, etc... since they model falling back can only go it's movement value.

A better middle ground would be that there's basically a Attack of Opportunity that's like Overwatch but in melee for things trying to fall back. The charging unit had to eat overwatch to make it, the falling back unit should have a risk.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assume that one of the early Blackstone Fortress forces is gonna be Death Guard, because those dudes seem to really like sculpting Plague Marines.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Duct Tape posted:

For example, you charge in, they're locked in place that round and you get one round of melee attacks. The next round they can Fall Back and the best you can do is Ready and charge again the following round?

Yep. If you don't fall back, you can shoot. But you can't ready, because you don't have a normal move to give up

The solution is chain charging, since they can't fall back of they were charged, but that assumes you have an unengaged model nearby who activates before they fall back and doesn't have a better target. The turn after (if you don't kill them), they can fall back and strand both your models.

Floppychop posted:

A better middle ground would be that there's basically a Attack of Opportunity that's like Overwatch but in melee for things trying to fall back. The charging unit had to eat overwatch to make it, the falling back unit should have a risk.
Wyches get a roll-off to see if they can leave at all, but an attack of opportunity for everyone would be good anyway.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Duct Tape posted:

Does this means that, unless you opponent wants to stay in melee, each model you have will only be in melee range every other round?

Essentially yes.

Ideally you just want to blender something every round and then consolidate towards the nearest thing and repeat the process.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pro Tip: You don't need line of sight to charge in Kill Team.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pro Tip: You don't need line of sight to charge in Kill Team.

This is the same for normal 40k, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is the same for normal 40k, right?

This is correct, and perfect for dodging things like getting murdered by super flamers. Doesn’t happen often but it’s important to remember.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

This is correct, and perfect for dodging things like getting murdered by super flamers. Doesn’t happen often but it’s important to remember.

One of my favorite things I've done in 40k is to pop several squads of Intercessors through a wall for a 6" charge into a Tau gunline to avoid the overwatch.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

One of my favorite things I've done in 40k is to pop several squads of Intercessors through a wall for a 6" charge into a Tau gunline to avoid the overwatch.

I, too, like playing against T'au players that don't know how to plan against assault besides walling up.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

I, too, like playing against T'au players that don't know how to plan against assault besides walling up.

This is why I miss the old biovores. Bunch your infantry up in a corner? Have some AP4 pie plates!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Maneck posted:

They posted lore about Speed Freaks: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/12/what-is-the-speedwaaagh/

Still no release date. Presumably it'll be the 27th for both the box and the codex.

Looks like we're getting at least one dual kit. I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a kit with the parts for all 4 buggies but only enough to finish one- the mek gun and flyer kits are already that way.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
ORKTOBER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Arven posted:

Looks like we're getting at least one dual kit. I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a kit with the parts for all 4 buggies but only enough to finish one- the mek gun and flyer kits are already that way.

I can't see it. Probably gonna be a ton of single kits.