Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Barclays isn’t Citibank levels of clownshoes, but they are kinda bumbling so yeah sometimes things take a while (mailings) or don’t quite work how they should (app).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Vox Nihili posted:

That's strange. Looking at bookings from California, each mile almost always gets you more than a cent.

E: It's probably because anything going out of the East Coast has a leg through one of their affiliate airlines.

You were right, I wasn't checking the return flight, which had a stop. I found some nonstop dates for 40k miles. It seems though that you can't use the 50% discount for a second ticket when booking the first ticket with miles though which is really unfortunate, and the discount expires after a year.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

dy. posted:

Love the benefits of the CSR but kind of tired of the hefty monthly fee now that my points are all gone.

Do you not hit the $300 travel threshold every year? If you do $150 is still a pretty bad annual fee but I try to make sure I get at least $150 yearly in extra value out of it via points, which I seem to do so far.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
For hotel point redemption, is it common for cash + points to be a better deal than just points? I just booked a $230/8,000 point Hyatt room for $55 + 4,000 points. The difference in value was pretty surprising.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Do you not hit the $300 travel threshold every year? If you do $150 is still a pretty bad annual fee but I try to make sure I get at least $150 yearly in extra value out of it via points, which I seem to do so far.
I do, it's not really a bad deal. I'm just jonesin' for a free 80k points somewhere.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Ink Business Preferred?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Discover is ending the Discover Deals program on October 31st.

They were rarely useful, but they were gold when they were.

RIP 20% cashback on gift cards at Walmart and Sam's Club.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Discover is ending the Discover Deals program on October 31st.

They were rarely useful, but they were gold when they were.

RIP 20% cashback on gift cards at Walmart and Sam's Club.

The shopping portal part of Discover Deals had some nice rates.

The $10 gift card with renewing a Sam's Club membership was great, too. There were/are always tons of deals for new memberships, but membership renewal offers always seemed pretty rare other than Discover's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TheEye posted:

For hotel point redemption, is it common for cash + points to be a better deal than just points? I just booked a $230/8,000 point Hyatt room for $55 + 4,000 points. The difference in value was pretty surprising.

just curious do you still get deals when booking last minute or is that lot of blackouts?

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
I just got my 1-year cashback match from my first Discover IT card and I'm looking for what card I should pick up next. What would be the best cashback card for 3.1k monthly average spend, and considering my spending categories from the past 12 months? A second Discover IT? Uber Visa? Citi Double Cash Back?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Prancing Shoes posted:

I just got my 1-year cashback match from my first Discover IT card and I'm looking for what card I should pick up next. What would be the best cashback card for 3.1k monthly average spend, and considering my spending categories from the past 12 months? A second Discover IT? Uber Visa? Citi Double Cash Back?

Uber Visa for sure, depends what Merchandise/Retail really is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Prancing Shoes posted:

Do you travel for work? Those second and third category totals are interesting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Don't kink-shame.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
"Services."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TOP SPENDING CATEGORIES:

1. GOODS
2. SERVICES

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
New revamped Amex Gold card is out today, 50K pts bonus with 3K spend, also a nice statement credit bonus for restaurant spend in first year. The main changes are 4x now at restaurants and dining, and a $10/month dining credit with a few places, though this comes with a slightly higher annual fee of $250 vs previous $195. Holds up pretty well to the CSR considering the 4 & 3x on restaurants/grocery & travel, esp. Chase has been cutting back a lot of benefits of late like price protection.

Bonus:
* Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership
* Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back.

* 4x points at U.S. Restaurants
* 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year)
* 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines
* 1x points on all other purchases
* $120 dining credit : Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at participating partners
* $100 airline fee credit

Shameless referral link plug:
https://mgmee.americanexpress.com/r...1179-1786046696

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

New revamped Amex Gold card is out today, 50K pts bonus with 3K spend, also a nice statement credit bonus for restaurant spend in first year. The main changes are 4x now at restaurants and dining, and a $10/month dining credit with a few places, though this comes with a slightly higher annual fee of $250 vs previous $195. Holds up pretty well to the CSR considering the 4 & 3x on restaurants/grocery & travel, esp. Chase has been cutting back a lot of benefits of late like price protection.

Bonus:
* Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership
* Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back.

* $120 dining credit : Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at participating partners

Fuuuuuuuck, I churned through the gold card last year. I'm guessing you can't do the new one in that case?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Amex switched to a lifetime bonus exemption right? As in, if you've ever had a gold card you can't get this one?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Harry posted:

Amex switched to a lifetime bonus exemption right? As in, if you've ever had a gold card you can't get this one?

It's for the same card and only applies to the signup bonus. So if you've had the PRG in the past you can't get the bonus for this revamped version, but you could still get the card if you wanted.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Bonus:

Congrats you are getting 10,000 points courtesy of my gf.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

Bonus:

Is it worth it for me to keep paying for this?

I requested the rose gold card.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
As with most AmEx cards, compared to the CSR I'm not seeing much value proposition here except for the first year bonuses. Seems there would be no reason to renew the card for a second year. You get 1x points for hotel stays... big fat meh for $250 / yr.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Something Offal posted:

As with most AmEx cards, compared to the CSR I'm not seeing much value proposition here except for the first year bonuses. Seems there would be no reason to renew the card for a second year. You get 1x points for hotel stays... big fat meh for $250 / yr.

But really it's $30/year if you consider the credits? The return for restaurant and grocery spending is pretty impressive.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

asur posted:

It's for the same card and only applies to the signup bonus. So if you've had the PRG in the past you can't get the bonus for this revamped version, but you could still get the card if you wanted.
The system only seems to check several years back, so if it's been a while...

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ETB posted:

But really it's $30/year if you consider the credits? The return for restaurant and grocery spending is pretty impressive.

I guess the $120 dining credit is decent and would bring the AF down. If you have a very large amount of restaurant and grocery spend it may be useful. Airline fee credit doesn't do anything for me personally. I'd never be able to get down to a $30 effective AF. That being said maybe I was being a bit hard on it, it's not too different from the CSR, and the grocery bump is something big that Chase doesn't get you.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 7, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ETB posted:

Not all credits are created equal.

With the CSR, if you do any traveling, you can consider the credit taken care of.

Amex's credits are specific and kinda lovely. The airline fee credit is only useful if you're regularly checking bags or drinking on planes, but don't fly enough to have status with your chosen airline. The monthly dining credit makes you order from Grubhub or a tiny handful of chain restaurants. If you're going to Cheesecake Factory every single month, you don't need a new credit card that saves you ten bucks per trip; you need to re-evaluate your life.

The grocery rewards are nearly matched by Amex's own no-fee Blue Cash card, and the Blue Cash option with a $100 AF beats it easily.

About the only place where I can see this new Amex making sense long-term is "I'm a salesperson who regularly takes clients to expensive dinners, and can run the check through my personal credit card, but I don't do overnight travel very often." For everybody else, there's a better option.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I want to buy an iPhone XS sim free which is apparently not eligible for the iPhone upgrade program for some reason so I need to buy it all up front.

Does anyone know the best route for this in terms of signing up for a new CC with 12-18 months 0% APR as well as maximum rewards? It seems like the various cards that offer the 0% intro APR don’t give cash back and vice versa, which makes total sense. But hopefully I’ve overlooked a key card somewhere.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

The system only seems to check several years back, so if it's been a while...

When they switched to lifetime it only checked back seven years, but I'm not certain if it's a moving window and haven't seen anything to indicate it is. Story I heard was they switched systems at that time point and presumably lost the data if you didn't have the card anymore but who knows.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Gave it a try and was told I had already had the card and was ineligible. Oh well. My bank of america MLB cards are finally over 2 years old so I might finally shoot for some of the Chase cards I've been missing out on.

Harry fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 7, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dutchbstrd posted:

I want to buy an iPhone XS sim free which is apparently not eligible for the iPhone upgrade program for some reason so I need to buy it all up front.

Does anyone know the best route for this in terms of signing up for a new CC with 12-18 months 0% APR as well as maximum rewards? It seems like the various cards that offer the 0% intro APR don’t give cash back and vice versa, which makes total sense. But hopefully I’ve overlooked a key card somewhere.

Looks like the Quicksilver has a 0% APR for 15 months sign-up deal.
https://applynow.capitalone.com/?ir...d=3947&IARC=AFF

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

asur posted:

When they switched to lifetime it only checked back seven years, but I'm not certain if it's a moving window and haven't seen anything to indicate it is. Story I heard was they switched systems at that time point and presumably lost the data if you didn't have the card anymore but who knows.
I was able to get a bonus again after 6 years but YMMV.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

just curious do you still get deals when booking last minute or is that lot of blackouts?

This was a last-minute booking, so apparently yes, but it might depend on how many rooms are still available. Neither the location nor the dates for my stay were very popular.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anybody have a referral link for a Chase Freedom Unlimited? I'm below 5/24 now so was going to get one to pair with the Sapphire. Looks like they give $100/referral so no reason not to help out a goon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Anybody have a referral link for a Chase Freedom Unlimited? I'm below 5/24 now so was going to get one to pair with the Sapphire. Looks like they give $100/referral so no reason not to help out a goon.

Enjoy (and thanks)!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

Enjoy (and thanks)!

Applied and approved. The application timed out on "verifying your information" (after like 15 minutes) the first time and I got worried but after reloading it went through right away so I guess something just got hung up somewhere the first time.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
The Amex airline fee credit is basically a rebate in my mind, its very easy to get your money back if you know the tricks. There are many data points on Flyertalk, e.g.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-9.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1812734-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300459-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-only-22.html

With AA you can buy gift cards. I personally do Alaska. With Alaska, if you book a fare under $100 and cancel during the 24HR refund window, it will still trigger the credit. I try to wait until the next day but before the 24hr period expires to ensure the charge posts. I've done it 2 years in a row now since the United MPX trick no longer works.

----

Personally, I am weighing keeping the Amex Gold and dropping the CSR. Restaurant & grocery 4X put it over the CSR for me. I can definitely use the $10 grubhub credit once a month for takeout.

For flights, I already use 5X on the Platinum card + Uber credit is very easy for me to use, Saks credit can be used for gift cards in store, and I use Centurion lounge. For Hotels, I use the hotel chain card for a much better return (I usually stay at Marriott for work travel and can use personal cards). Citi double cash or Chase Freedom (depending on quarterly bonus) for everything else.

For my personal usage I see limited need for the CSR any more, but everyone is different.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 12, 2018

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

hostile apostle posted:

Personally, I am weighing keeping the Amex Gold and dropping the CSR. Restaurant & grocery 4X put it over the CSR for me. I can definitely use the $10 grubhub credit once a month for takeout.
Yes, it makes MR extremely competitive, although I wish it had the 1.5cpp redemption that the CSR offers.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So it's early and my math is probably wrong, but I'm reading this as:

CSR 3x Restaurants
AmG 4x Restaurants

OK that's fine, but when I go to redeem points for travel (which would be the only reason I'd redeem points really), each CSR is worth 1.5x the amount. Wouldn't that effectively make restaurant points worth 4.5x on the CSR if you redeemed for travel?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fhqwhgads posted:

OK that's fine, but when I go to redeem points for travel (which would be the only reason I'd redeem points really), each CSR is worth 1.5x the amount. Wouldn't that effectively make restaurant points worth 4.5x on the CSR if you redeemed for travel?
If you redeem for paid tickets, yes. If you transfer to a airline/hotel program, then the comparison is potentially more 1:1.

(Also, if you have the Amex Business Platinum too, the valuation increases. Not sure if I'm willing to pay extra for that, however.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Also, the Schwab flavor of Amex Plat liquidates points at 1.25c/point into a Schwab checking account - so the 4x is effectively 5c/point vs Chase 3x worth 4.5c/point if you're not going down the points transfer route.