Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

as someone who got a raden (galaxy) VP (F) for christmas last year, all I can say is

do it

I'm doing it. I actually found one place that might sell the Galaxy. I'm really liking Water Surface in order to showcase "hey look this all came from the same cut of abalone, wait come back where are you going" but Galaxy is really nice.

Also that seller in question was all "oh yeah we have it but it may not be in stock so expect a 3-4 month delay." Nothing I love more than an explicit request to let Paypal's buyer protection lapse for a $400 purchase!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I usually hate Vanishing Points, but drat, that Crossed Lines looks mighty classy :sweatdrop:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a functionality question. I have a Levenger Aero-D. I flushed it and left it overnight on a paper towel in a small cup to dry. The converter has some water behind the piston. Whenever I turn it to draw in ink (Noodler's Bernanke Black), I just get a lot of bubbles with minimal ink. I've had the nib completely submerged, up to the grip, and the issue still recurs.

I had it running under water to redo the flush and it convertered up water without incident.

I had the converter pushed as far in as I can get it to go and it still can't get real quantities of ink. Is there a way for me to fully disassemble the converter? Or should I just let it sit on the paper towel (or better yet, in a bed of rice) for a few more days in hopes of getting all the moisture out?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

MJP posted:

I have a functionality question. I have a Levenger Aero-D. I flushed it and left it overnight on a paper towel in a small cup to dry. The converter has some water behind the piston. Whenever I turn it to draw in ink (Noodler's Bernanke Black), I just get a lot of bubbles with minimal ink. I've had the nib completely submerged, up to the grip, and the issue still recurs.

I had it running under water to redo the flush and it convertered up water without incident.

I had the converter pushed as far in as I can get it to go and it still can't get real quantities of ink. Is there a way for me to fully disassemble the converter? Or should I just let it sit on the paper towel (or better yet, in a bed of rice) for a few more days in hopes of getting all the moisture out?

This helped me when I did the same thing to all four of mine, lol. There's also a link in there for full disassembling if shaking/tapping doesn't work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

welp

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't understand why Pilot got rid of the con-50. The con-40 is such garbage. I really wish the resin falcon could use the con-70.

edit: it has like 3x the moving parts of the con-50, too. I don't understand!!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 5, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yay, the seller of the raden VP was all "oh we're out of stock lol, you want something else or a refund?"

:smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

MJP posted:

Yay, the seller of the raden VP was all "oh we're out of stock lol, you want something else or a refund?"

:smith:

Ah, that sucks. I'm not a VP fan, but I love me some raden. Maybe a Namiki some day.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moral_Hazard posted:

Ah, that sucks. I'm not a VP fan, but I love me some raden. Maybe a Namiki some day.

I'm just in it for the design. I love the look of the Stripe and Water Surface pens. Anything that looks like a city skyline at night has my immediate and undivided attention.

If I strike out with the only other seller on Ebay, I'll just give up and get myself a perfectly restored stacked celluloid Vac Senior or vintage pen, but I just wish there was a modern converter with that nice design.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MJP posted:

I'm just in it for the design. I love the look of the Stripe and Water Surface pens. Anything that looks like a city skyline at night has my immediate and undivided attention.

If I strike out with the only other seller on Ebay, I'll just give up and get myself a perfectly restored stacked celluloid Vac Senior or vintage pen, but I just wish there was a modern converter with that nice design.

There's the various models of Visconti made with their Wall Street material, but tracking one down could be even pricier than that VP.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

There's the various models of Visconti made with their Wall Street material, but tracking one down could be even pricier than that VP.

Oh yeah, I think that got mentioned to me at some point when I had a lower budget for a vintage look. I figure I can save up another hundo if this last lead doesn't quite pan out (pen out?) for one of those. It's freaking beautiful.

edit: Ergh, it's basically a lever filler. I like changing my inks, that sounds like it's not fun to flush. D:

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 5, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

There are C/C Wall Streets too. If it has a metal section it's c/c, celluloid section is a vac filler. However, you can also remove the nib unit of a Visconti, most of the time, so it's not so bad.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

There are C/C Wall Streets too. If it has a metal section it's c/c, celluloid section is a vac filler. However, you can also remove the nib unit of a Visconti, most of the time, so it's not so bad.

Ooooh, nice. Maybe next time I strike it rich on multiple market research places all at once I'll see if I can score one of them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pilot fines are so small...
This is the result of a small invite only pen show.. saw at least one other goon there though....

Other is a Moonman stub

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)
Hey pen goons. I need help trying to identify a pen that I came across while cleaning my office. Its a Cross pen which I bought over 10 years ago, probably closer to 12 - 15 years ago, its black with a knurled texture, the cap fits flush with the body, and has an integrated nib. The closest thing on the cross website is the ATX line but nothing quite matches it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I hit the Vancouver Pen Shop while I was on the mainland, and goddamn that place is a wonderland compared to what I can get on the island. They fixed a mistake I made with assembling my TWSBI, then filled it with Swan Illusion, for free. They also sold me another Metro (my collection lacked a fine nib) and filled that with ink too. They've got a great assortment of paper, too.

First time I've driven through the DTES ghetto in awhile, though. Looked like the Walking Dead out there. I'm dropping $100 on stationery, and those guys are pawing through garbage for bottles to recycle. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

IGotNothing posted:

Hey pen goons. I need help trying to identify a pen that I came across while cleaning my office. Its a Cross pen which I bought over 10 years ago, probably closer to 12 - 15 years ago, its black with a knurled texture, the cap fits flush with the body, and has an integrated nib. The closest thing on the cross website is the ATX line but nothing quite matches it.

That's a Cross Verve and it's a very collectable pen. The integrated nib was made by Pilot.

I bought a Cross Townsend today for shits and/or giggles.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I bought a jinhao with a fude/chinese calligraphy nib for a laugh. I cannot for the life of me get my head around changing the angle you hold the pen in a stroke.

Also, it feels like every time I look at a video on youtube of someone using one, they're pressing down fairly noticeably on the nib (and also holding it at a strange degree of rotation).

I can't tell if that's necessary, or if my (normal, non-angle-changing) writing issues are just that I didn't clean the pen thoroughly enough (or that it hates pilot black).

It feels fiddly in a way that an Ahab doesn't even approach. On the plus side, I already swapped the body with my other x750. Turns out the matte black/"silver" body looks way nicer than the glossy black I'd originally bought.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Have any of you used the Noodlers V-Mail line of inks? http://noodlersink.com/whats-new/v-mail-ink-series/

They are like catnip to the history nerd that I am, but I am also somewhat wary of Noodlers' variability and refusal to play nice with pens sometimes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I own a bottle of GI Green (which I haven't used in forever, I should fix that) and had a sample of North African Violet. Haven't had a problem with either.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tater_salad posted:

This is the result of a small invite only pen show.. saw at least one other goon there though....

Other is a Moonman stub

should i get a moonman and if so where

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ArmZ posted:

should i get a moonman

The answer is always yes.

I got a Sailor 1911 Stormy Seas the other day, and goddamn Sailor nibs are magic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ArmZ posted:

should i get a moonman and if so where

Yes

Amazon
Ali Express
eBay
Cost mostly is going to vary depending on how soon you get it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Yes

Amazon
Ali Express
eBay
Cost mostly is going to vary depending on how soon you get it.

Just double-check the listing to make sure it also comes with a stub nib. I believe most of the ones from China ship with the fine nib in the pen and a stub nib in the box.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871465

Buy my excess pens

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Curse you all. I was perfectly happy with my Uniball Signos and Visions until I came across my old Kaweco Sport, starting playing around with it, and thought it might be nice to have a proper sized fountain pen. I dimly remembered SA had a thread, so off I went to research.

Long story short, I now have a TWSBI Diamond 580ALR with stub nib, several bottles of gorgeous ink (Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku is amazing), and a couple of converters for my Kaweco. And I'm actually spending more than the bare minimum for a notepads and stationery. Writing with the TWSBI is just a joy so far. Even my very rusty Arabic penmanship feels better to write and certainly looks snazzier.

So curse you lot, this is going to wind up my gateway to more fountain pens and ink experimentation.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

FYI that VP is blue metallic, not blue Carbonesque.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Lowness 72 posted:

FYI that VP is blue metallic, not blue Carbonesque.

ok thanks

you should buy it

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018

ibntumart posted:

Curse you all. I was perfectly happy with my Uniball Signos and Visions until I came across my old Kaweco Sport, starting playing around with it, and thought it might be nice to have a proper sized fountain pen. I dimly remembered SA had a thread, so off I went to research.

Long story short, I now have a TWSBI Diamond 580ALR with stub nib, several bottles of gorgeous ink (Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku is amazing), and a couple of converters for my Kaweco. And I'm actually spending more than the bare minimum for a notepads and stationery. Writing with the TWSBI is just a joy so far. Even my very rusty Arabic penmanship feels better to write and certainly looks snazzier.

So curse you lot, this is going to wind up my gateway to more fountain pens and ink experimentation.

I am a HUGE fan of the Izroshizuku Inks. I know I am Basic as a PSL, but I love me some Kon-Peki

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018

tater_salad posted:

Other is a Moonman stub

Fine Tipz for Lyfe Boiiiiiiiz

CryingCypress71 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 15, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmm

It seems that I bought a Visconti Van Gogh last night while out of my head on migraine meds.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Think of it as a gift from the past

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A good gift, because I paid $120 for it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

CryingCypress71 posted:

I am a HUGE fan of the Izroshizuku Inks. I know I am Basic as a PSL, but I love me some Kon-Peki

I am in love with all of their blues, I think, and the bluish greys and blacks . My plan is to cycle through a few more 15 ml bottles until I settle on a favorite or two. The Kon-Peki/Tsuki-Yo/Take-Sumi set is next on my list.

On another note, I was thinking of either a Kakuno or Preppy for my wife. She likes the idea of them, but is worried about everyday use or that it's a fussy instrument.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ibntumart posted:

I am in love with all of their blues, I think, and the bluish greys and blacks . My plan is to cycle through a few more 15 ml bottles until I settle on a favorite or two. The Kon-Peki/Tsuki-Yo/Take-Sumi set is next on my list.

On another note, I was thinking of either a Kakuno or Preppy for my wife. She likes the idea of them, but is worried about everyday use or that it's a fussy instrument.

I’ve had two Preppys. One has been mostly reliable with the absurd J. Herbin 1670 inks but actually really bad with the normal Preppy blue ink. The other one never worked right.

My Kakuno medium has been great with the normal Pilot black ink.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’ve had two Preppys. One has been mostly reliable with the absurd J. Herbin 1670 inks but actually really bad with the normal Preppy blue ink. The other one never worked right.

Hmm. Well, for a sub $5 pen, I guess it's not a big deal if the Preppy ink doesn't work as long as other inks do. Did you use a converter or this a syringe to the cartridge affair?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My Kakuno medium has been great with the normal Pilot black ink.

Good to know... I decided to go ahead and order her the Kakuno (dark pink, fine nib) with some extra cartridges. And a Preppy in red since they're so cheap and she has a lot of undergrads to grade.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grack posted:

Hmm

It seems that I bought a Visconti Van Gogh last night while out of my head on migraine meds.

I think 120 is a fair price for this pen.. it's pretty cool and nice.. if I had paid the 300 that most places sell it for I'd have been returning it, it's not a $300 pen.

It's def sexy looking

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ibntumart posted:

Hmm. Well, for a sub $5 pen, I guess it's not a big deal if the Preppy ink doesn't work as long as other inks do. Did you use a converter or this a syringe to the cartridge affair?

The really unpleasant Preppy blue in a cartridge came with one of the pens. The other one was eye dropper modded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

tater_salad posted:

I think 120 is a fair price for this pen.. it's pretty cool and nice.. if I had paid the 300 that most places sell it for I'd have been returning it, it's not a $300 pen.
It's def sexy looking

I like my Van Gogh -- a Pollard Willows -- a lot. I keep thinking about getting another; La Couronne du Comte offers them with an upgrade to a Dreamtouch nib for like $280.