Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Still mad that Farfetch'd never got a mega evolution, or z-move, or ANYTHING to make it worth using. You'd think Let's Go would be a perfect time for that but I've lost faith at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Farfetch'd is based on a proverb of contravened circumstances (encountering a duck with its own seasonings) and being suckered into a less then favorable situation. So giving it any sort of power-up kinda goes against the idea the Pokémon is supposed to embody.

I'm kind of amazed that Pidgey is getting merch though since at this point, its one of the most generic and basic designs a Pokémon could have at this point.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

So giving it any sort of power-up kinda goes against the idea the Pokémon is supposed to embody.

Nevertheless, they gave it power-ups in gen II (exclusive held item + extra Special Defense), gen VI (improvement of the exclusive held item) and in gen VII (extra Attack).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pokémon who are basically just animals without any gimmicks are good, and the latter generations could use a couple more of those, if anything.

E: It (Farfetch'd) also had an evolution among the scrapped gen II pokémon.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 12, 2018

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Farfetch'd episode of the anime was the first Pokemon related item I ever encountered and I immediately fell in love with this big dumb useless duck.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I hated so much that the only Farfetch'd I could get in red had a bad dumb name :smith:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Licarn posted:

I hated so much that the only Farfetch'd I could get in red had a bad dumb name :smith:

Excuse you. DUX fux

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

Farfetch'd is based on a proverb of contravened circumstances (encountering a duck with its own seasonings) and being suckered into a less then favorable situation. So giving it any sort of power-up kinda goes against the idea the Pokémon is supposed to embody.

That gimmick stopped making sense well over a decade ago and Farfetch'd has been treated as just another mon since like...Gen 2. It really should just get a proper evo or Mega or something already. Canonize that beta Gen 2 one.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

It really should just get a proper evo or Mega or something already.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Nitramster posted:

Okay I'm giving up on catching this dumb dog in fire red, moving onto Platinum!

Good call. Due to some unforeseen coding only the first 8 bits of IVs for the roaming pokemon are transferred, meaning the dogs have normal HP, a max of 7, and the rest 0's for IVs. Also, if he used Roar in battle he's gone forever and there's nothing you can do about it. It's a lot easier to get them in Colosseum and and transfer em.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got curious about how many Gen 1 pokemon families didn't get
a) A cross-gen evolution/pre-evolution
b) New typings
c) A mega-Evolution
d) An alolan forme
e) Exclusive Z-Moves

Caterpie, Spearow, Ekans, both Nidoran lines, Paras, Venonat, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Machop, Bellsprout, Tentacool, Ponyta, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Seel, Shelder, Drowzee, Krabby, Voltorb, Koffing, Goldeen, Staryu, Tauros, Ditto, Omanyte, Kabuto and Dratini. 61 or 64 if you count the legendary birds.

What this tells me is that Gen 8 will include another forme gimmick and give it to a third of these.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mizuti posted:

Yikes! They translated the grid-based movement extremely literally.

https://twitter.com/BalrogGameRoom/status/1050169747910873088

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Uh yeah that's the tweet in the post they are quoting.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Electric Phantasm posted:

Uh yeah that's the tweet in the post they are quoting.

:doh: I'm sorry.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/BalrogGameRoom/status/1050169747910873088

truly the maximum use of the switch's capabilities.

You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about (if they fix the framerate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Nn2uR5Rw

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ash-Greninja confirmed for SSB5, Arceus bless

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1050553932257193984

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nitramster posted:

Okay I'm giving up on catching this dumb dog in fire red, moving onto Platinum!

they’re cats

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oddium posted:

they’re cats

Gerbils, actually

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You'd think they'd show that in the video

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nodosaur posted:

You'd think they'd show that in the video

It's a quote from the official site.

quote:

During its Final Smash, it turns into Ash-Greninja

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ahahaha, and there are already people who are super mad about it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So it becomes really weak to dragons and fire?

Does the Chili Power up OHKO it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

So it becomes really weak to dragons and fire?

Does the Chili Power up OHKO it?

It's fine, Mega Charizard X isn't in the game anymore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

ahahaha, and there are already people who are super mad about it.

mad about...ash-greninja? why?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

mad about...ash-greninja? why?

because there's a certain subset of the fandom that gets really angry whenever stuff from the anime carries over into other aspects of the franchise

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

b) New typings
c) A mega-Evolution
d) An alolan forme
e) Exclusive Z-Moves

Caterpie, Spearow, Ekans, both Nidoran lines, Paras, Venonat, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Machop, Bellsprout, Tentacool, Ponyta, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Seel, Shelder, Drowzee, Krabby, Voltorb, Koffing, Goldeen, Staryu, Tauros, Ditto, Omanyte, Kabuto and Dratini. 61 or 64 if you count the legendary birds.

What this tells me is that Gen 8 will include another forme gimmick and give it to a third of these.

Lapras too, right? Or did I miss something?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

they’re cats

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chieves posted:

Lapras too, right? Or did I miss something?

Oh yeah, Lapras too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I kinda want Gen2 forms more. Though koffing is about my fave gen1 design so them getting some love would be neat.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

A Sometimes Food posted:

I kinda want Gen2 forms more. Though koffing is about my fave gen1 design so them getting some love would be neat.

Muk getting a cool rainbow form and Weezing not getting a new form where the little Koffing orbits the big one like a stinky lil moon was such a shame. I fuckin love Koffing too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Diet Poison posted:

Muk getting a cool rainbow form and Weezing not getting a new form where the little Koffing orbits the big one like a stinky lil moon was such a shame. I fuckin love Koffing too.

*Finger curls on the monkey's paw*

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

b) New typings
c) A mega-Evolution
d) An alolan forme
e) Exclusive Z-Moves

Some of these really do deserve the love. Ekans, Venonat, Mankey, Ponyta, Doduo, Krabby, Koffing, Goldeen, Omanyte, and Kabuto would be my picks. Would be pretty cool to have regional variant fossil Pokemon.

There's a few Gen II Pokemon that deserve region variants, but I'm not holding my breath for that, because Game Freak seems run by genwunners right now. Come on you cowards, give Dragon Dunsparce. If people are talking loveable underdog Pokemon, Dunsparce is just as worthy as Farfetch'd. And unlike leek duck, the tsuchinoko has no good reason to be forever a barely usable gimmick (I say this with the purest of affection).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
imo gen 7 and gen 1 are the best gens. we should get some non-Alolan forms of gen 7 mons in gen 8, in my h.o.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spatula City posted:

Some of these really do deserve the love. Ekans, Venonat, Mankey, Ponyta, Doduo, Krabby, Koffing, Goldeen, Omanyte, and Kabuto would be my picks. Would be pretty cool to have regional variant fossil Pokemon.

There's a few Gen II Pokemon that deserve region variants, but I'm not holding my breath for that, because Game Freak seems run by genwunners right now. Come on you cowards, give Dragon Dunsparce. If people are talking loveable underdog Pokemon, Dunsparce is just as worthy as Farfetch'd. And unlike leek duck, the tsuchinoko has no good reason to be forever a barely usable gimmick (I say this with the purest of affection).

I'd settle for a Ledian who isn't quite as pathetic if we're going to try salvaging more of Johto's trash-mons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Geostomp posted:

I'd settle for a Ledian who isn't quite as pathetic if we're going to try salvaging more of Johto's trash-mons.

Why must Ledian look so cool yet suck so hard? :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why must Ledian look so cool yet suck so hard? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LmeEpqijI

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Nodosaur posted:

because there's a certain subset of the fandom that gets really angry whenever stuff from the anime carries over into other aspects of the franchise

I love the anime (the first couple of seasons, anyway) and wish they'd cross over more. However, pokemon-human fusions are the dumbest poo poo anyone has ever concieved and I wish with all my heart that we could all collectively forget it ever happened. I wouldn't say I'm "mad" about his inclusion in Smash, but I do wish they'd done something else instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

I love the anime (the first couple of seasons, anyway) and wish they'd cross over more. However, pokemon-human fusions are the dumbest poo poo anyone has ever concieved and I wish with all my heart that we could all collectively forget it ever happened. I wouldn't say I'm "mad" about his inclusion in Smash, but I do wish they'd done something else instead.

What fusions?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Ash-Greninja is called that because it looks vaguely like Ash's X&Y outfit, no fusion involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ditto face is entirely the result of a single Pokemon anime episode.